Notices

Class of March 2012 Part 5

Old 11-03-2012, 03:19 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Great to hear from you INH!
Hopefully this experience will give you a good grounding on which to build upon x
Old 11-04-2012, 02:02 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Aww, INH... we were just thinking about you. How was it? If I have learned anything it's that I can't fix everything overnight. Which is really frustrating because that's what I feel like I should be doing. But I can't, so I just do little bits of stuff to help me every day and things seem to just keep getting better. Can you spend more time here now?

How are you doing too Kapuka?

I managed a short but still reminiscent night out with a friend again. It was fine and I really don't feel tempted to drink, but I still feel like I need to be careful. Even though most of my friends aren't massive drinkers in a way that makes it worse. I feel so 'normal' and not alcoholic all the time that I can imagine it would be easy to let my guard down. It really helps hanging around here a lot and going to regular AA meetings. I feel like I need to make some more sober friends though, and make a definite change from my old life. That doesn't feel so scary anymore.

Hope everyone is doing well x
Old 11-04-2012, 02:55 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Hi Guys

Jobei Congratulations on your 8 months! Fantastic!

That's me 8 months sober yesterday too, can't believe how quickly it has gone by.

Glad to hear you're all happy and healthy. great stuff!

Old 11-04-2012, 02:57 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Good to have you back INH
Old 11-04-2012, 03:04 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Well done on your 8 months too Caledonia/Nicky x
Old 11-04-2012, 03:17 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Hi Hypo and thank you, can't believe I forgot it until tonight......lol
It's thanks to all my lovely friends in SR and the fellowship of AA who have been a fantastic support.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:45 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

INH - "Girlfriend" is a little pre-emptive but thanks anyway... She has been sober for 5 years so it's a nice match thus far! Hope everything is well with you and you continue the path to sober living my friend!

Hypo - Yes it is a good feeling for sure! I agree that making sober friends is really important and AA is surely a good place for that. I too am leaving my old life in the dust... all the fear and loathing kept me down below for so many years... I want to just let it all go now!

Nicky -- 8 months is ACE as Hypo would say! I'm really glad that you jumped into our march forum to keep us up to date with your progress. I feel very lucky to have you here. BTW - I LOVE your quote... it's exactly how I feel about things today!

Jeni -- How is your husband getting along with the sobriety thing? I was so impressed that you two managed to quit together... it's beautiful.

Dee -- they had a "million muppet" march today in the US protesting one of the presidential candidate's desire to cut funding to public television to help raise money for big tax cuts for the rich! It made me think of you.

To anyone else lurking... I hope all is well with you and yours on this fine evening!

God bless!
Old 11-04-2012, 09:56 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Hi Job. Yeah, H and I are still treading the sobriety road together, it feels kind of 'normal' now. I think he misses it more than me and I allow thoughts of what would happen if he picked up again to enter my head sometimes, but I am learning not to hypothesise and live in the present. And the present is good. We are strong and enjoying our life together so much more than we did.
All good. I admire his strength.
Well done on 8 months Nicky, you are all so fantastic and doing brilliantly. I am walking in your shadow, I will be 6 months in a few weeks. Can't quite believe it!!
Loads of love to you all xxx
Old 11-05-2012, 09:00 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  
Random Guy

Whew made it through the weekend sobriety intact. It was a challenge at times but I am making a list of things that helped so I have things to turn to next time I get bored and lonely.

Rehab was interesting as I said I learned a little about addiction that I didn't already know, but I think more importantly I learned a thing or two about myself. Simple things like being alone is bad, and if I start to vet in my head to much that too can be bad. Also being away from the military helped a lot more then I thought it would. It turns out that if you get me out of this tiny corner of the proverbial world that I live in I am a damn good and highly respected person. I was voted peer leader of my group two weeks in a row and then the leader of the peer leaders by the staff. It kinda equates to the tallest midget on midget island but still it made me feel good and realize that just because I am not doing all that great in the Marines does not mean that I would do badly outside it. I would go on but I am typing on my phone and it is getting annoying to do so lol.

Congrats to everyone on their sober time I look forward to the day that I will be typing those words.

Have a good one all.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:48 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for your congrats and kind words. I started my journey with SR in this forum but it was so so quiet I jumped to the Undies......lol However it is great to see how we're all progressing and actually enjoying the journey too.

Hey Job my *just for today* worked, how about you?

Take Care
Old 11-05-2012, 10:22 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Glad you're learning stuff INH. Teach us, we need to know stuff! Have you read Dry by Augusten Burroughs? There's a bit in that where his counsellor tells him to treat his head like a dangerous place... 'never go there alone'. That rang true a bit. That and the bit of paper he left rehab with with all the different smiley faces and the list of emotions. I'd imagine that might confuse any non addicts reading it!

I keep meaning to pop back into the Undies Nicky, but tbh I am not sure what I would say about how I am doing at the minute. Still just dragging myself through the days. Apparently the meds I am on for my thyroid are fine now so I am going to have to look for other reasons why I am so tired all the time.

It's so cool that your husband is still doing well on the sober front with you Jeni x Tell him we all think he's ace x
Old 11-05-2012, 10:39 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Caledonia1 View Post
Hey Job my *just for today* worked, how about you?
Today is indeed the only day that I have control over! I plan to spend enjoying life instead of pissing it away!

I read those remarks about "undies" way too quickly at first but now I get it! I check them out from time to time but this thread feels like home.

INH - I feel your pain man I can't stand writing on here on my phone! Maybe I'll get better at it over time...

Jeni - That is so wonderful that you've both given up drinking... truly remarkable and also very rare. You must really love one another.

Hypo - I get the tired feeling constantly too! I always feel like there's something wrong with me... but I guess I just need to work on better sleeping patterns. Hard to do when you're an insomniac?! Oh well, beats being drunk and hungover!

Glad to hear all is well out there, keep up the good work!
Old 11-05-2012, 02:54 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

hypo that's exactly how I felt about posting here and I now already feel part of the crowd. The more help and support we get the more we benefit.
x
Old 11-07-2012, 06:19 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Random Guy

Well it looks like I have four days off work this weekend normally I would be all about that but not under current circumstances. Four full days alone sitting in my room will not be all that much fun. I am going to have to start making a plan on what I will do now so that I have something to fall back on.

The last few days have been alright I am learning to play cribbage and keeping myself occupied with what I can. I hope everyone else is doing alright.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:30 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Hope you come up with a good plan to keep you occupied INH. What were you working on in rehab to keep you sober? Do you have any outpatient care now? x
Old 11-07-2012, 02:20 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

INH We'll keep you company

Hi guys and gals

Hope you're all doing well.

Got asked to share at my home group today, I just couldn't do it. I was caught a little of guard but the strange thing is, now I wished I had just done it.

Confused??? I certainly am.......lol

Old 11-07-2012, 06:01 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

That happens to me all the time Nicky... I always think of something to say a couple hours AFTER the meeting! It's not just you don't worry.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:00 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  
Random Guy

I haven't been asked.to share in a group before but I think that would be most people in an on the spot situation. I know it happens to me all the time, some one will ask me a question or require some explanation from me and I am stumped and spout out some retardedness, then an hour or two later I have the perfect answer and feel kinda stupid for not coming up with that originaly. The feeling stupid part I have to work on but the rest I am pretty sure is common.

For the weekend I am still on lockdown so I am not able to go anywhere/do anything. That is the part that sucks, I am feeling fine now but I am considering giving up my credit cards and cash to someone else just in case I get froggy this weekend. That would just be one more strong deterrent and couldn't hurt. The other measures are simply to call people and talk because that seems to help as well as keeping.myself occupied with games and reading. That should be enough if not I will have to brainstorm for more.

PS I like the new avatar Cale.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:09 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

I'm sure you'll succeed INH. You've got all the tools in place and all the right ideas. Stay strong and have a good weekend.

Thanks Job, I will defo do it!

Old 11-09-2012, 12:51 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  
Random Guy

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but just for a little extra insurance I did end up giving my cards over to someone else. Only now I want to order food hahaha. Oh well