Notices

Class Of September 2012 Part 6

Old 10-04-2012, 01:41 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Just checking in. I have a lot of food for thought that was given to me recently by several of you. Thank you so much for the support and help. It's certainly needed and appreciated! So far, so good!
Old 10-04-2012, 02:25 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Made it, curry with the sister with orange juice whilst she had wine. So pleased with myself. My sister asked the waiter what non alcoholic drinks they have as i dont drink alcohol, made me feel really good and proud :-) day 20 for me tomorrow :-) off to bed now, keep it up everyone. Glad yor staying wwg :-)

Good night :-)
Old 10-04-2012, 02:46 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good to see you Tally

WWG-like everyone said - there's no rules- join both groups if you like...and don't beat yourself up...it's pointless.

It's good you're back

I think it's probably good tho to start thinking about what else you need to do for your recovery...even a small thing like not having beer in the house might be a start.

I forget...are you using any other support besides SR?
D
Old 10-04-2012, 03:34 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  

8thPhoenix any word on tomorrow? Were saying a prayer, crossing fingers, and sending good karma thoughts for you, here in my household.

Were all here for you.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:43 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Tally809 View Post
I've thought and thought about your question Dee but I don't have an answer. I don't know anything to do but 'white knuckle' it and hope I can find enough to do to distract myself.
Sorry for the delay in replying Tally...it's been a busy day...Thanks to Mark for reminding me

The problem with white knuckling is ...its tiring...it's like you're constantly straining, constantly tense...and in my case sooner or later I'd get tired, and pissed off and vulnerable to bad ideas and whammo...I was back drinking.

I think supports very important...posting here regularly is a great idea...and posting here when you get into trouble is even more of a good idea.

There's real life support too - I don;t know how you feel about things like AA but recovery programmes range from 12 step meeting/sponsor based stuff, through non 12 step stuff like SMART, to book based programmes like Rational Recovery.

Any of those are worth looking into I think if you feel your recovery needs a little shoring up.

I think making changes in our lives is helpful too.I tried living my old drunks life sober - same friends - same social activities...it didn't really work for me....

Have you made any changes in your life, Tally?

D
Old 10-04-2012, 04:19 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  
A girl can dream...

Dee: LOVE the avatar!!
Old 10-04-2012, 04:55 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not getting possessed by a hotel...just getting reading for Hallowe'en

D
Old 10-04-2012, 05:13 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Hey guys. I haven't read anything. Work and school are nuts. Sorry that all I have time for lately is these bare bones check-ins, but I just want to let you all know I'm still doing ok. Day 27. I'm EXHAUSTED, though, so in lieu of staying online tonight i'm going to go to sleep. Trying to practice that HALT thing as much as I can.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:48 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  

It seems I'm becoming a sugar junkie. I haven't been much of a candy eater since my early teen. Today I'm eating Rolos, raisinets, and a york peppermint patty, as well as a boston creme donut from earlier. My bartender is going to be upset this month, but my dentist will certainly be happy.

Second, I think my AV is trying to wear me down the same way a small child gets their way. Can we have a drink now? Can we have a drink now? Can we have a drink now? . . . ad naseum. I keep asking why would I want a drink and don't get a good answer, so I suppose that's progress, but SHEESH. I could have one just so the voice shuts up. I'm used to the thoughts of self loathing following drinking and can tune those out easier than the whiny 4 year old AV. (No fear, it really will take more)
Old 10-04-2012, 07:12 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think one of the central tenets of AVRT is not to engage with the AV at all...

I'm no dog whisperer but maybe it's a bit like dog training...a dog will feed on attention...if you ignore a dog, it'll get you're the leader and settle down.

D
Old 10-04-2012, 07:38 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Smile

GW,

I've been eating sweets like crazy as well. If I understand correctly, alcohol is metabolized by the same enzyme that breaks down glucose in the liver, so as alcohol is withdrawn our bodies crave sugar.

I've gained a few pounds but I'd rather be fat and sober than a skinny drunk.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:07 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  

I gained 40# my first year sober. Taking some off now. I needed to gain a bit!
Old 10-04-2012, 08:13 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Wow a lot of posts since I was last on!

To all of you that jumped in the Oct thread why not be in 2 classes? I still check in with my Feb group on a reg basis too.

YVR congrats on the 30. Takin it a day at a time really helps me!

Well I'm super tired and already in bed. Looking forward to the weekend.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:14 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Hope you'all had a good day. My day 7 is coming to a close.. tomorrow starts week 2.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:14 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Made it thru day 16. I feel kinda off today. Not sure if i didn't sleep enough or something? Just kinda blah
Old 10-04-2012, 08:18 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  
Administrator

I reckon it's normal to have a blah day occasionally LH - I still have them anyway - I think everyone does, addict, alcoholic or not

D
Old 10-04-2012, 08:26 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  
A girl can dream...

Sounds like everyone had an OK day. Like Dee said, we all get blah days now and then. I almost killed for a chocolate bar yesterday and I DON'T eat sweets - but boy, it sure did taste mighty fine.

Have a good night all.

(Day 19 coming to a close)
Old 10-04-2012, 08:43 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Wicked cravings today, the worst since I've quit, one month ago. I ate a bunch a chocolate instead. Crappy day, relationship issues, feeling very sorry for myself today. Poor me
Lol. I couldn't even go to a meeting because of an emergency at work. Grrr. The AV was loud and annoying today, but I win because I'm showering and going to bed now, sober. Hear that, AV, I WIN, you lose.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:47 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Thanks dee. Very true. Gonna eat some steak for dinner then try to sleep it off.

P.s. I love the shining. Great movie. The alcoholic references are uncomfortably realistic too.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:36 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Morning all, hope you're all feeling good today and making weekend plans. Unfortunately the weathers not forecast to be good here. So I'm going to sort my workshop out, huge tidy up, I got an outboard engine to service for friend. I also need to find another cheap car to replace our old banger and have some movie time with my GF and son in the evenings .

Have a great day everyone :-)