Notices

A New Day (Munchkin's Thread) Part 2

Old 12-24-2012, 11:20 AM
  # 201 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Munchkin:

I'll be happy to give you feedback, but I can't right now. We are having the Christmas party today. So you know I'm meeting myself coming and going. LOL Now if only I could become "thinner" somewhere in the middle. Ha Ha Ha

Have a wonderful Christmas Eve and Christmas Day!!

TOD
Old 12-25-2012, 11:15 AM
  # 202 (permalink)  

Merry Christmas all!

going to keep this quick today. Tom Turkey is in the oven, the pecans still need to be roasted for the cranberry sauce. And of course, potatoes. I have some rye dinner rolls to make as well.
Everyone got what they wanted and then some. I got a new armband, hubby got my old one. Plus I got a cheese making kit, a brand new Sonicare toothbrush (LOVE IT LOVE IT!) , lots of jeweley, hubby got me a tanzanite ring, and lots of workout clothes and even some new makeup and bras from Victorias Secret.
Amusingly enough we've three spent the past hour playing with hubbys new laptop and target shooting in the house with my sons new nerf gun. Hey, I'm not too bad. LOL I put up a magnet on the door and we've all been aiming for that.
I set out some shrimp with cocktail sauce, cheese tray and got me a some Cran-Raspberry La Croix on ice in a wine glass. Makes me feel like I'm treating myself. Oooh that reminds me. I have to chill the Welchs sparkling grape juice for dinner..
And by the way, yes we are having wine tonight.
In the turkey. I put it in there about an hour ago so it'll have plenty of time to cook out. LOL
A few negatives today. The ac adapter that came with my sons keyboard/piano doesn't work. That ticked me off, especially because Wal-mart sold the two together.
Then, I have to find the ac adapter to my sons old V-tech ereader. He got a new one for Xmas and I have to load the free books on it.
Last, the voice activitated safe doesn't seem to like recognizing any spoken passwords. Don't know why.
sigh.
Oh well, no worries, it's Christmas, I'm sober and let me just say, WOW. I'm sober.
I'm not being sarcastic actually. Its just amazing to me. 1 yr and almost two weeks sober.
This is now my second Christmas sober. And the thought of it almost makes me giddy.
Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:16 AM
  # 203 (permalink)  

Old 12-25-2012, 02:34 PM
  # 204 (permalink)  

OMG fat, dumb and happy here. Trippin on tryptophan. LOL Not bad turkey, yummy mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce was the bomb, roasted asparagus with just a drizzle of olive oil and salt and pepper, homemade rye bread dinner rolls rustic and yummy, slathered with butter.
Stuffing, naaah, okay. Not great but not to die for.
But.......the pumpkin creme brulee. OMG
I made it yesterday, refrigerated overnight, then served with spiced pumpkin chocolate chip cookies that I served warm along side.
Too fat, dumb and happy to move. Have leftovers to put away but you would have to roll me off the couch to get me to move.
I'm so glad I'm sober so I could remember all this.
Old 12-25-2012, 03:50 PM
  # 205 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Hi there Munchkin!

Glad you and your's got their Christmas wishes come true!

We are iced in here. So gotta make this short. Already lost power once. Snow coming to cover the ice - not a good thing in our State. It will shut us down and all the folks that THINK they can drive on it WILL! It will be wreck city here.

Happy to here you are having a warm, sober day.

TOD
Old 12-26-2012, 06:01 AM
  # 206 (permalink)  

Well at work today. Super busy?
NOT
Not a single phone call yet (however IT IS ONLY 815A. It's still kind of early)
1 ticket issued.
Many people here have said it will get busier come January. Yes, it will. A little bit but I believe and predict we will be nowhere near profitable.
(Need 200 tickets or around there per day for that to happen)
Since around August we've been issuing around 50-80 per day on normal days and on Wednesdays (our biggest ticketing day) we've been issuing around 100 maybe.
Sometimes higher.
Not sustainable.
So now, gotta hurry up, pay off my hubbys Victorias Secret card, pay off my small balance on my own credit card (barely used credit this year! YEAH FOR US!), then get our other bills in order.
Pay them off...FAST!
Gotta prepare for the possiblity of layoffs.
Plus of course, one year from now will see us most likely on the road.
We do not know if it will be from retirement from the Army or from a military PCS due to hubby being promoted. I don't know which one I would prefer at this moment.
I have a feeling times will be getting more turbulent. Kind of "it'll get worse before it gets better" type of feeling.
Or maybe I'm just being paranoid? Debby Downer? I don't know.
I do know that this was most likely our last Christmas in this house and while I hate this area I'll be sad that my son will be having a Christmas next year on the road.
He had to say goodby to his Elf on the Shelf, Ben, Christmas eve and I have a feeling that by the time Ben comes back out he'll be 9 years old and won't probably be buying into the whole Santa bit as much.
Oh well. Such is life.
Oh and I think I know ONE thing, one single thing I'm going to do for hubby.
For New Years. Hubby complained (not exactly complained really) that he can never have Grand Marnier again.
Grand Marnier used to be one of my favorite drinks, straight up, in a brandy snifter. With a bit of really rich chocolate. When I had extra money (like an extra $40) I would buy myself some of that when I was drinking. Now, that being said, it was not my GO TO drink. All because I couldn't afford to drink Grand Marnier. A $15 bottle of Seagrams Gin or a $10 large bottle of wine used to be my thing. Or Vodka.
Hubby used to also like Grand Marnier a lot.
So I'm going to get a small bottle of it. (you know one of those really small bottles?)
So that way he can enjoy it. He said he wouldn't do that to me but really, I'm not that concerned. While I will be on the defense when he's drinking it against my AV I don't think smelling it will make me want it.
I told him, that now a days, the smell of wine or some sort of spirit really does not tempt me.
I mean, I might have the momentary urge to take a sip but that is promptly SQUASHED like one might kill a black widow walking on the floor.
My biggest trigger now a days is when I have arguments with my husband.
And I think my therapist also knows that because she brings up a lot the subject about my husband.
My husband got a little peeved this morning that my therapist actually brings that up. He says (once again) that everyone must think he's a complete shtbag
I told him, NO. It's just that my therapist KNOWS that that is my sore spot.
That is where I become most emotional.
With the people in my life that are most important to me.
My therapist knows that while I am angry and frustrated with my parents I have also wisely decided that that is one battle I cannot fight.
But, on the other hand, my relationship with my husband is something that we constantly work on.
To any newly sober, please note this.
Your relationships will change when you stop drinking.
I tend to say that it is like mini tremors going through our life. Both husband and I are having to adjust to the new sober person that I am becoming. He no longer has a drunk wife who blows off stuff to get even more drunk.
I asked him Christmas morning "How in the world did we support my drinking habit? I mean money wise. If I was spending easily $50 a week on liquor how did I afford that!??
Yet right now, thanks to Christmas, we're broke and we've haven't spent any on liquor recently"
He just reminded me that we spend a lot more on other stuff. Heck, even our camper got Christmas presents this year.
Or I should say, our camping lifestyle did.
LOL
Its amazing seeing after the fact the tremors constantly going through our lives. And it makes me feel really bad that I affected so many parts of our lives and for so long.
Well, whatever. Still here, still sober and now on a better path.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:21 PM
  # 207 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Munchkin:

Your hubby isn't the trigger or a shiitbag!!! He is however having to learn the new YOU right along with yourself. Often! It's harder on the ppl around us than it is ourselves. We find we have all this support out there to help us stay clean and the other ppl in our life are like: WTF? Who do I have to turn to? We get them so used to dealing with us one way for so many years and then one day they wake up and it hits them between the eyeballs. OMG! Who is this new person I'm living with? I don't know how to act around them or how to deal with them anymore.

SO! Could you possibly start a list of things that irratate you as far as he's concerned? And the same goes for him. Then you two pass off the list to each other to PONDER! It's not yet up for discussion. Give it a day to sink in. Because some of the things on y'all's lists are going to pisss the other one off. This is why you don't discuss them right away. Give each other time to THINK about what has been written. You may find instead of a certain thing pisssing you off, it just might start to amuse you instead. This will save some fighting if y'all go at the list together as soon as they are read.

We aren't robots. We can't be programmed to do as the other one wants us to do. So we have to learn to live with some things that might irratate us. Lord knows I've had to do it with Jethro. So I just find ways of my own to work past my irratants on things he does. Sorry! You aren't going to find the perfect husband! They all have their quirks. Jethro is my fourth husband so I think I stand to be a good judge here.

Look for the things in your husband, your son, your home, yourself that make you happy, content. Don't let the negative things get in the way of the good. You'll drive yourself nuts trying to fix others to please your own desires.

It's sort of like what just happened with me and Jethro. I had just sat down to type you this post. My time! I hear Jethro beating on the wall - he's in the shower and needs something. Good grief! As I'm heading inside - I start smiling. He needs his shower soap because it's in MY bathroom. So I get the bottle and head to his shower. I open the shower curtain - he starts to say; and I hold out his soap bottle. He just grins at me and says; Thank you! Ahhhhh the little moments we make each other smile instead of getting pisssed because I got interrupted and he would have had to climb out of the shower to get his own soap. We had to take a quick bath last night due to no electricity.

Life can be special and happy or it can be all about the what ifs! There's enough stress going on in the world around us to not being able to come home and enjoy some peace there. Your son will grow up faster than you realize and will be gone to college. Then it's just you and hubby. Where are y'all going to be in your relationship? Loving each other or still fighting over the robot things? As we grow older, little things don't matter as much then. So try to figure out those little things now and give them a rest.

You are with your alcohol the way I am with my opiates. When I'm loaded up. All the mess around me just fades into the woodwork. When I'm clean everything is looking at me and screaming. I'm here, I'm here, I'm here! I feel like the walls are caving in around me. BUT! Supper has to be cooked. The feathered kids have to be cleaned up after, etc. So I prioritise things in order to get done what needs/has to be done. Then I work on those other things. And of course I get interrupted by Jethro or one of the kids. I had Maria running around the house loose and the other three on sheets throughout the house. Maria was checking out every bag on the floor she could stick her beak into. She had pulled out potato skins from where I had peeled potatos and was bound and determined to finish off the apple from the dirty bag of stuff. I can't count how many times I picked these things up and put them back in their bags. LOL These are things that happen. Jethro was grilling and we both know they never take everything with them. So time and time again I got interrupted. It's just life!

Are my floors dirty? Hell yeah! Do I have dishes that need to be washed? Yep! I could clean house 24/7 if I was a ROBOT! But I'm not. And if I was constantly cleaning? I wouldn't be here typing to a new friend that's asked for feedback.

Just picture yourself on a roller coaster. Your hands are in the air, your screaming and smiling with the ride. This is how life is. Up and down. Fun and dismay. But we always get thru it.

Best Wishes
TOD
Old 12-27-2012, 05:35 AM
  # 208 (permalink)  

SO! Could you possibly start a list of things that irratate you as far as he's concerned? And the same goes for him. Then you two pass off the list to each other to PONDER! It's not yet up for discussion. Give it a day to sink in. Because some of the things on y'all's lists are going to pisss the other one off. This is why you don't discuss them right away. Give each other time to THINK about what has been written. You may find instead of a certain thing pisssing you off, it just might start to amuse you instead. This will save some fighting if y'all go at the list together as soon as they are read.
Very good suggestion!!!!
I'm going to do this this weekend!
And you are so right about life just screaming at you. It most certainly does.

Well, not much to say today other than poor hubby was sad for me yesterday and kind of angry for me.
I've been warning my parents for some time now that something bad might be looming up on the horizon. (no not the 21st of december. I might be an oddball sometimes but I'm not that off the wall)
I warned them that food prices could be going up so maybe it would be a good idea just for them to get some. Just a little extra. Just in case. All this time my parents brushed me off and more or less said I'm nuts.
That is until yesterday when my Mom went on a rant and told me to stock up, hurry. The news says that milk prices are going up and that is going to affect everything.
yada yada yada.
I just told her calmly "Mom, don't worry, we're already covered. DH and I have been putting a little bit away here and there".
I hung up shortly after that conversation.
Poor hubby got really upset when he heard that bit all the while asking "why is it that they never listen to you but they will listen to the news rave about such and such subject and totally believe it. This hasn't just happened with this instance but many times in the past.
I would tell my Mom and Dad about this new idea/thing to do/child rearing advice/etc etc and they usually pooh pooh the idea until someone (like my Wealthy Aunt) says this is what all wealthy families are doing in Washington state. Then it is no longer my idea. Its my aunts idea. Or the medias idea. Etc etc.
Funny bit about this?
It doesn't bother me anymore. It used to about 7 years ago.
Now, not really. I just shrug and go "whatever"
Hubby gets all angry for me though. Love him for that.
Oh and hubby is sick right now, I think.
He might have the flu but we're not certain.
He asked me last night what herbs I have to combat some of his bodily pains and I'm sad to say, I have barely any.
Many, many years ago I was studying herbalism and was actually trying to get my certifcation but it was too expensive for me at the time.
Hubby wants me to try again.
I'll see. Not certain if I'm going to do it or not. I used to have a pretty large pharmacopeia on hand. A good portion of herbs I had hand collected in the wild or I grew.
Haven't really done much in several years.
I still have the challenge of trying to figure out. How to make a tincture without alcohol. Hhhhmm. Maybe something I'll look up today.
Oh well. Still here still sober.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:28 AM
  # 209 (permalink)  

Morning Ladies,
You both sound busy. Munch, sorry hubby is sick - lots of that going around.

Been relaxing and enjoying time off from school. Did a little shopping yesterday - great sales, and the weather kept the crowds away.

Enjoying a nightly fire in our fire place, and sleeping in each day
Old 12-27-2012, 08:46 PM
  # 210 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Munchkin - And you are so right about life just screaming at you. It most certainly does.

I seem to be peeling potatos at certain times when chaos is happening or being posted about. I was talking with a friend and was peeling potatos for supper one night when all hell broke loose. So now I tell her "I'm going back to peeling potatos, or I need to go peel some potatos, or It's potato peeling time". LOL We both get a good laugh out of it and things seem to go over easier. I mean come on! We all know what it takes to pay attention to peeling potatos. It takes our mind off things. Or at least it does for me. I use a very sharp long knife to peel potatos. I've cut myself more than once. So I pay close attention while I'm doing this.

So when you and hubby are starting to get into it over something. Just tell him you need to go peel some potatos. You'll get a strange, confused look from him. It will be your own inside joke.

TOD
Old 12-28-2012, 05:18 AM
  # 211 (permalink)  

Cute. LOL
Well hubby is getting kind of what he asked for. He's always yelling at me to relax. Sit down, PLEASE!
Well I found a game that for the past two days I've been playing like crazy on my kindle and when I'm doing it I'm doing nothing else.
This weekend we have a busy one coming up though. Time to take down Christmas stuff. Pack it tight because next year we'll be on the move most likely.
Hubby said he was going to start looking for a job here soon up in Fairbanks just in case he doesn't make his E7.
Everyone around him has been warning him to start looking but he's kind of dragging his feet.
Told him I don't blame him. It's scary going from what you know to an outside world that is outside your comfort level.
I understand. I have to do it every time we move (to a certain degree. Not belittling the torture he's going through mentally right now).

As for now though, this morning, once again, my Jeep wouldn't start.
Same issue.
I can't afford to buy a new one but hubby has offered to take it and drive it back and forth to work as we're thinking it could be that I'm just not driving it long enough every morning.
I hate driving his truck on post here because his truck is so dang big and it doesn't fit in the parking spots here.
Oh well. Time for ME to get out of my comfort zone.
Well have to run. Thank GOD its payday.
Still here, still sober.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:21 AM
  # 212 (permalink)  

Hey Munch!!!! Just wanted to stop and and say hi!! :ghug3
Old 12-28-2012, 01:37 PM
  # 213 (permalink)  

Comfort zones.......interesting topic. I think we all have to push the envelope sometimes

Munch, You are moving out west next year? We moved almost every year when I was a child. My Dad wasn't in the military, he was just ambitious. I did not like being the new kid in school each year and haven't moved in decades!

TOD, True about potato peeling. Last time I was peeling them was in June, remember cause I got some bad news while peeling them. It does take concentration.

Long winter walk today, listening to my new head phones I got for Christmas.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:25 PM
  # 214 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Munchkin: Sending you a quick PM!

TOD
Old 12-31-2012, 01:28 AM
  # 215 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Pondlady: I wasn't reading the thread here back in June. So no I don't know the bad news.

What are you two doing for New Year's Eve? Me and Jethro will be right here at home. Our neighbors around us will be shooting off fireworks. I didn't get around to buying some more of the "screamers and bangers" this year. They are small sticks of dynamite I shoot out of a pistol at hawks to scare them off. They are really loud. LOL I usually shoot one of each off on New Year's Eve. But not this year - aint' got none. So I'll just stand in the yard and holler at the neighbors down the street. We all scream Happy New Year at each other. LOL

I know you two don't know this story about me so here goes. I've been looking for these vintage license plates for my Grand son that my grandmother gave me back in 1970. Mom had held onto them for me for years. Then she finally gave them to me. And they've been all over the world since then. Well my daughter has been decorating her son's walls with license plates. So I promised the plates to him. Well do you think I could find the stupid things? Nope! But last night while clearing out Jethro's bedroom closet floor. I came across a large padded envelope wedged between two boxes. Well what do you think was in the envelope? You betcha! The license plates. I've been looking for them for two years. It is a car plate and a one ton truck plate. They are still in the original wrappings. They are both 1932 plates. My dad was also born in 1932. I sent pictures of them to my daughter by text. She wanted to know how I knew they were 1932 plates. I asked her if she looked at the picture? Then I sent her another picture of one plate with just the ARK 32 showing. She answered back with: LOL I was looking for the "19" in front of it. Youngsters these days. Even if she is 32 yro!

So of course Jethro wanted to see if they were worth anything, being as old as they are and still in the original wrappers. Never used! Well of course he finds out they are worth around $200.00 a piece. GREAT! So I tell my daughter she may not want to put them on the wall for decorations. So she says she'll put them in a glass frame and then put them on the wall. GOOD IDEAL! LOL Anyhow! That's the story on the license plates. And we are all happy I finally found them. LOL

Happy New Years you two. Don't forget to eat your blackeyed peas to bring in your fortunes.

TOD
Old 12-31-2012, 05:28 AM
  # 216 (permalink)  

Good MORNING!
Well not really. Hubby kept me up last night with his tossing and turning so I'm a tad bit tired today.
For us, tonight we are going all out on dinner. Steak and Lobster, roasted fresh asparagus and risotto. DS is helping hubby pick out the lobsters tonight.
As of tomorrow we're going 21 days vegan. (PCRM | Kickstart Programs
Then we'll switch back to lacto ovo with meat every so often. But nothing like we have been the past few months. I was telling hubby I just feel so sluggish. So tired, since eating meat almost each night.
So, today I have a bit of shopping to do! YEAH!
Green coffee beans for hubby (I never really fully picked up the coffee habit like I thought I would when I got us into roasting our beans last year) I'm still more of a tea lover.
Dried Miso paste for dinner later on this week. Oh and some herbs from a company that sponsors me in my writing. (sponsor means they pay me)
Oh and one last thing. A present for my next door neighbor. She bought me a beautiful serving platter and I didn't get her anything. Don't know what I'm going to get for her.

Whatever.
Well I will be on here tomorrow for a short bit.
Yesterday we got all our Christmas junk down, hubby organized our outside closet where our holiday stuff and our camping stuff is so it looks nice in there.
Hubby is off today so he's running some errands and doing his homework. (I HOPE)

Still here, still sober.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:05 AM
  # 217 (permalink)  

Morning Ladies,
Much I eat vegetarian 90 % of the time. My daughter who lives with us is a vegetarian and it's easier to cook one meal. Hubby and I have both lost lbs, since giving up alcohol and most meats. I watched a documentary on Net Flix the other evening on vegans. It was about three people who went vegan for six weeks. I was horrified at commercial farming practices for dairy and poultry. I love dairy though, yogurt, ice cream and cheeses, but am going to reduce my consumption. Our society's current diet model of meat and dairy, is terrible for the planet. OK - off my soap box now!

Tonight we're having a pasta supper with my home made ( frozen) pesto sauce, a fire in the fire place, doggies curled up around us....and contentment Happy New Year ladies!
Old 01-01-2013, 12:01 AM
  # 218 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Pondlady! Jethro would roll over and throw his legs in the air - muscle cramps and all - if I were to NOT serve hamburgers or steak to him. And yes he has the large belly to attest to eating it.

Due to our pets being "chickens"! Anytime I see any type of cruelty being done to other chickens? It just makes me want to CRY. That includes any animal being mistreated! My feathered kids are VERY lucky they are being raised at our home. I'd probably have a yard full of them if it wasn't for Jethro putting a stop to it.

Munchkin! Does your neighbor drink coffee? Get her a bag of the Traditional Roast - Gevalia brand from wal-mart. It is delicious. Get her a specialty mug or two to go along with it. Throw in some of your saved garden seeds too. This will make it a more personal gift. Just something to think about doing since you need to get her a gift. I'm sure you'll think of something wonderful!

Happy New Year you two! We celebrated by sitting here in our Entertainment room with Lil Maria covered up on her cushion beside Jethro. And then of course there's Martha Mae in her cage behind me - watching TV along with us.

TOD
Old 01-01-2013, 08:54 AM
  # 219 (permalink)  

Munch Happy New Year!!!
Old 01-01-2013, 10:43 AM
  # 220 (permalink)  

GGRRRRR
Second time around trying to post this.

First,

Okay, now to try to remember what I was going to say earlier.
Pond, we tend to go veggie around 3 to 5 nights per week but since Oct we kind of slid off and we haven't been eating so well since then.
I think that is when I started feeling really sluggish and just tired.

TOD I love my eggs and cheese so going vegan is a bit tougher for me. This morning I had oatmeal and I was so longing for a big slab of butter on my hot oatmeal. Told hubby I should've gotten the vegan butter substitute at Wegmans yesterday. Oh well.
So today we start with green apple oatmeal. I added walnuts, cinnamon and a tiny bit of molasses. I had on the side some veggie bacon (which definitely doesn't taste like the real thing but it has a nice crunch and it's salty like bacon)
Then for lunch we just had Grilled Zucchini sandwiches on bolillo rolls and Shorba Addis (Curried tomato lentil soup). OMG the sandwiches were delicious!
Tonight is fettucine tossed with asparagus and peas. I hate peas. They are the only vegetable I will NOT eat. LOL. I will probably substitute my peas for zucchini or green beans.
On the side we're having Baked Marinated Chickpeas.
Sounds super yummy.
Baked Marinated Chickpeas

Makes 2 servings

These scrumptious roasted chickpeas will quickly become a weekly go-to recipe in your home. They are a snap to prepare, and each chickpea absorbs the seasoning during baking, making every nibble delicious!

2 cups canned chickpeas, rinsed
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
2 1/2 teaspoons tamari
1/2 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped (or 1 teaspoon fresh thyme or oregano)
1/2 teaspoon pure maple syrup

Preheat oven to 400 F (205 C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. On the baking sheet, add all ingredients and toss to combine. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes, tossing chickpeas once or twice during baking, until the marinade is almost absorbed. Don’t let dry out, remove from the oven when still a little moist. (These are meant to still be tender, not crunchy). Serve warm for appetizers or at room temperature for snacks.

Well, as for last night. We celebrated with steamer clams as an appetizer, steak and lobster for dinner with baked new potatoes and asparagus on the side. No dessert because the three of us could not agree on anything at Wegmans and I was being lazy. We ended up toasting with sparkling grape juice and a sparkling herb water with cinnamon, orange and vanilla.
I ended up going to bed at around 1030 or so. I was so tired. I'm a little tired today but not as much.
Well, my laptop is going super slow right now and I still have my sons Vtech Ereader to work on and some more seafood broth to put away.
Ta ta all. Happy New Year!!! May it be a sober one!