Notices

Class of July 2012 Part 5

Old 09-20-2012, 04:27 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Stingy athlete recovery method

Dear folks,

Whoa, life can be a pain. And in certain states of mind, it can be a pain even when it is not! What am I talking about? I think PAWS is pawing me like a grizzly bear.

Enough on that. After all, there is too much good news and fun on the list.

Marjoram, nothing better than good medical news. Great!

Katan, you are back! The Terminator has nothing on you.

TIG, next time the cow should take its turn as the designated driver.

Mel
Old 09-20-2012, 07:52 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Mel... next words to say.... must dump beer in sink, must dump beer in sink, must dumb beer in sink!!! Bye, bye poison - you will never touch these lips again... ha ha ha (with villian accent).

Katan... up and at it again. The worst thing you could do is stay down. Just get back up... try again.

TiG... I did hear about the python... crazy stuff. Someone obviously dumped it, but man can you imagine swimming in there and this huge snake comes around.... no way....

NFW... I really don't like the word insanity it at the moment. makes my head hurt. Insanity means a whole lot more to me than that. Something I'm working through at the moment.

Flac... how's it going?

Well, made it through the day without hurting someone or drinking... two pluses on my side I suppose. Gotta get through tomorrow now..... oh yea!

Well we can do it. Come on Friday... we're ready for ya
Old 09-20-2012, 08:31 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

What a night....I had to post a thread looking for a suicide hotline regarding my brother in law. Everyone here was very helpful and caring. I hope everyone is doing well. I'm tire and my brain is exhausted. Still have to get some work done.

Hugs to all.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:40 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Glad I don't live anywhere near Lake Michigan, I'm snake phobic

R4R sorry to bring a word that you dislike into the mix, didn't mean to upset you!! The concept of doing something over and over that you know is harmful to yourself is something so many of us do. Just interesting to think about the why of that.

Marjoram, sorry you're going through that! How's everyone doing?
Old 09-20-2012, 08:57 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Glad I'm near Lake Huron. Did somebody's "pet" get loose? That's just gross. I don't like ocean water because of all the critters and prefer our great lakes, but that's crazy. Eeek.

Outside of the brother-in-law fiasco tonight, bloodword came back a-okay, too! A slight defiiciency in Vitamin D so have to supplement to get the level better. But, everything else was good - Glucose was lower that two years ago (hooray!), cholesterol, triglycerides, HDL, and LDL all good. Liver functioniong well (thank you God!). Thyroid and everything else was good. Whew....have to keep taking care of myself and continue working on sobriety. I'm a healthy eater so it's paying off, but still know that no alcohol will help so much more.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:57 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Bloodwork, not bloodword. I need a new keyboard!!!
Old 09-21-2012, 05:26 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  
TiG

Good morning,
Marjoram, sorry to hear about your brother-in-law. Keep focused on your sobriety.

R4R, have a great day. You're doing really well.

Katan, how are you doing?

Mel, beer down drain, beer down drain, beer down drain: )

NFW, maybe we need something different, and always looking for new ways to combat the urges to drink is what helps us succeed. Im going to come up with a new technique for myself today and see if it's worth keeping in the arsenal.

MTN, whatz up?

No desire to drink yesterday, and I feel pretty good. Ran a lot yesterday which takes away any tension and leaves me feeling relaxed and confident. I wish I could run every day, but it's pretty hard on my body. Rest today, then a nice long run on Saturday.
Everyone, have a wonderful sober day!
Old 09-21-2012, 07:33 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

TIG would love to hear about any new plans you come up with!

Marjoram, great news on the health front! Keep up the good work!!

Friday-bring it on!
Old 09-21-2012, 08:01 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Hey - my new keyboard arrived - it's guaranteed to not make typos....whew!

Hubby made it home safe and sound at 2:00 a.m. from his roadtrip to see his brother. Can't make any promises. He has to seek help. My sister-in-law is going to probate court to find out about the petition that will force him into help. It's a horrible thing to have to do, but if it means the kids will keep their father, she knows she has to do it. (They are divorced) Anyway, doing okay today. Was grateful everyone was so helpful here last night.

Take care everyone and have a nice day.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:08 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Happy Friday All

I for one, am sooooooo glad this week is almost over. Planning a 10 mile run/walk for the mornings (I'm a week away from doing a half-marathon)... no big deal. Just means I can eat lots of food afterwards And I must remember to give my beer tickets away - or just throw them away....

Anyway, I'm doing better today. Not as wired..... need to journal sometime this weekend.

Glad your BIL is 'ok', Marj... crazy stuff.

You're doing great also TiG!! Way to go on the running..... the other thing I like to do is read. Got away from that when I was drinking (just wanted to stare at the tv).

NFW... No worries... it didn't upset me... it's just that I'm dealing with a pretty deep fear of going insane. Not an easy one to get rid of - so trying to get at the root of it.

Mel, Sentso <<hello>>, Flac - how are you all doing?

Let's kick this weekend off the right way with a great big
Old 09-21-2012, 02:35 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Happy Friday everyone..Marjoram I hope your brother-in-law is doing better. And glad your bloodwork came back ok.
Mel...how's the beer?
R4R - good job on the running! I am so impressed.
NFW, TIG - always nice to see your posts.
I/We can do this....gingerale for all!
Old 09-21-2012, 03:45 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Hi everyone!

Part 5 already, that's great!
Today was day 67 and I feel great. Not drinking and focusing on my inner, unconscious life are the two best decisions I ever made in my life. Even though tonight I had a hard time having only sparkling water while my bandmates were drinking beer after a week of intense rehearsing. It was kind of shocking to feel that much desire for a glass of beer. Conclusion: don't take it for granted.

Katan, I dont think drinking one glass should put back to day 0 but on the other hand I dont think counting is a great idea (although I do it myself!), for it can make you feel desperate to look back if you drink once... Anyways Im glad you're back on track now and you're a great source of inspiration.

R4R I didn't remember you were going to run a half marathon! Sounds awesome! Good luck.

I think about you a lot and wish you all the best! Have a nice weekend!

Sentso

P.S: almost forgot: I'm reading a very interesting book called Buddha's brain (written by a neurologist and a neuropsychologist), that I'm sure you'd find interesting!
Old 09-21-2012, 03:53 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Administrator

have a great weekend everyone

D
Old 09-21-2012, 05:43 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

July Mates - happy weekend, glad to hear there are many keeping up with health concerns, just had bloodwork done myself. Trig's around 300 + that has been cut in half not drinking..whew - was kind of worried about how high they had got.

Quote from TIG:
She's my partner in crime. In that picture, we just looted the Milwaukee Cheese Castle and are racing towards the boarder

Haha, for the many years I lived in WI always wondered why the cars with the IL tags drove so fast toward the state border, now I know!!!! You guys took all the cheese!
Serious, its this time of the year I miss the Midwest with fall coming!! Us Floridians are preparing for what we call 'The Migration', second to Spring Break - all the Northerns coming down for the Winter!

Have a great weekend all!!
Old 09-21-2012, 07:09 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

I loaded up on fruits and veggies the past two days. Yesterday I actually had the energy to jog 2 miles. First time doing that in awhile. Going to try to keep eating better and getting some exercise here and there. I have had thoughts the past couple days about drinking or more likely smoking pot as it doesn't have as much negative effect on the body. I have a good friend who had to quit drinking because of diabetes and I got to talk to him this week. He had a beer for his anniversary. I wonder if it's going to lead to more for him. I guess that's what I've been thinking about. If I really can't ever drink again or if I can imbibe occasionally. Does anyone else ponder this now?
Old 09-21-2012, 08:44 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think everyone ponders it...if my experience of 20 years counts for anything, the answer is no.

Alcohol, any amount, changes me, and I lose control - maybe not right away but inevitably, iww.

Same thing with pot for me...the destination's the same, regardless of the drug i used.

I was trying to escape myself and I went from drug to drug trying to find a way to do that.

I never escaped anything - not even consequences.
I always ended up in the same dark place that I bet bought us all here.

What do you think is driving you to think of these 'outs' now, IWW - is it your friend ?
or something deeper?

D
Old 09-22-2012, 05:46 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  
TiG

Good morning,
Not much going on here. Some old friends want to get together and my suggestions for what to do have changed from what they once were. Used to look forward to the beer drinking, now I said we should go for 5k fun run and get a big breakfast after. Not sure they'll be up foe that, but it sounded like a good time to me.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:02 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Flac, great news about the Trig's-huge difference! My brother found the same thing when he quit. I'm sure mine were sky high, and sugar cravings after quitting won't help, but that's the next battle. You're getting all of our tourists, enjoy

Sentso, so true about not taking it for granted-those urges hit hard when they come. Glad you've been able to stay on track. Will look into that book, sounds interesting.

IWW I think about the quitting forever vs. occasional drinking less now than I did. I still resist thinking about forever-the rebel in me hates that concept. I do let my mind wander there once in awhile which did not happen during first month. I'm having a hard time coming up with reasons why it would be good to drink, where before that's all I could come up with. The potential health issues are really forcing me to look at this through clear eyes.

My friend that I've been so worried about had another big scare last week, and I took her to the ER. Found out she was drinking on the job again last night. I know she can't stop without help, and she's not ready to admit she needs it. Meanwhile, the health scares get worse each time. Scary stuff. I have to work with her tonight and have no idea what to expect. I just want to help her and feel helpless

How's the weekend going so far for everyone?
Old 09-22-2012, 08:13 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Awesome on your running accomplishments, R4R! I'm just really getting into it, starting myself off relatively slowly, but boy has the exercise been an outlet since I put down the booze. Have a great weekend, all!
Old 09-22-2012, 08:19 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Flac... I like being a Northerner... like the Fall the best. But with a Jeep I like winter also... do need some new tires though... maybe next year!

IWW... I used to entertain those... maybe someday I can have 'a' drink... I have proved otherwise time and time again. WHy would I want to put myself down that long steep road down into hell again? Nope... not for me. But I think it's normal to think about it now and then... just don't stay there

I just finished walking the dog after run/walking 10 miles. It was nice and cloudy and cool. Great weather... hopefully next Saturday is the same. I feel better... I got myself some new shoes ro run in.... they are wonderful

Sorry to hear about your friend, NFW. It's the same with all of us... we all had to come to a point where we said enough and realized, we had a problem - and we did something about it. The first person we have to admit it to is ourselves...

I was at a meeting last night (Addiction Recovery in Christ). I don't call myself 'religious', I just have a good relationship with my God.... anyway, it's a topic meeting... usually about 100 or so people there in a coffee house atmosphere. Then the microphone gets passed around. Someone said something about 'going through the fire this time instead of going around it and then going around it again and again'. That hit me and I started writing (and eventually talked about) - how I was really touched by that. I don't do emotions real well... I'm a thinker. I analyze... try to figure things out. So, being just almost 3 months sober I'm realizing how much I just need to go through the things I avoid because of the unpleasant emotions. Not run to friends or take a 'vacation' or turn to alcohol or drugs or sex or whatever makes me feel better - except for running BUT actually face the 'stuff' this time. Little by little I've been doing that, but I'm pretty done with going around practically the same mountain range. Time to move on, dang it!

Ok, rant over. Happy Sober Saturday, my jolly Julian friends (couldn't think of another j word to fit....)

Later. Oh, thanks, Blue....