Notices

Class Of September 2012 Part 2

Old 09-10-2012, 05:27 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Welcome Back WGW - Sept is a great group too and super active! I have my feet in both the August and September camps as i only managed to stop drinking on August 31st. Stay active in both. More is always better in this case.

Hang in there Lefthook and DA - I am on day 11, it does some to get easier with time as you feel better and therefore are more equipt to deal with life and the urges to drink.

Congratulations FMD on 5.....I think I have lost weight too. 3 in the first 5 days, jealous of your 6! - darn you men! Know I have lost more but don't have a scale right now as I am traveling. It is amazing what happens when you don't drink away 1,500/night.

Congratulations Sunnyflower on 9! Agree with you on the detoxing - I still feel like I am detoxing, but I feel so much better than before.

Take care all - Panacea
Old 09-10-2012, 05:34 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi guys!!!! I am so excited!!! I feel more energized and determined than ever. Today, instead of a draggy day alone in my room sipping beer and being depressed and worried, I am going to go out and enjoy the gorgeous weather with my kid and dogs. Had a minor slip last night, but poured it out and felt terrible and realized that I truly don't want anything to do with that stuff again. I had felt like maybe someday I could drink again. At this point, after how bad I felt for my weakness last night, I truly never want to again. This afternoon might prove more tricky since I can't sit at the park all day, but I will come on here and maybe see if there's something good to watch and there's always chores. I will cross that bridge when I come to it. This really is an emotional roller coaster. Yesterday was honestly a good day, though. I survived the day sober which is the hard part for me, I am not a night drinker as a rule. So today will still be my fourth day in a row of sobriety, since I only had a little yesterday night before dumping it all. I still count the 7th as the day I entered recovery and changed my life. Anyway, good luck to all and congrats to everyone and welcome to our newcomers!
Old 09-10-2012, 05:59 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Day Three is here. Made it through my first weekend baby!! Next challenge is after work, but I have my surfing gear packed in the car. KEEP IT UP PEOPLE.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:26 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi class! I MADE IT TO THE PODIUM!

Welcome to everyone who just joined. For anyone new who doesn’t know it, this class started a group goal on Friday when several of us were apprehensive about the weekend. We had a goal to make it through the weekend and “meet ya at the podium on Monday”.

I had the strangest dream last night. I dreamt that I drank late last night and that I could no longer log on and tell the class I made it. It was so real I woke up extremely sad. I had to really think about the evening to figure out that it was just a dream. And it made me more excited to get on here this morning to say I did it!!

Have a great day everyone!!!

Old 09-10-2012, 06:28 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Third straight night of awful sleep, although not as bad as the first two. Sweaty at times and a lot of tossing and turning. But as I sit here with a clear head I know I did the right thing and my resolve grows. Instead of coming into the office with a hangover and procrastinating I'll be there with energy and focus.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:44 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

WWG don't give up! Glad you came bac here and not continuing to drink!

Elihoping hang in there! I went thru the same thing the first 4 or so nights but now am sleeping much better. Don't give up!

Big congrats to everyone making it to the podium today! Woohoo!

Day 9 and feelin fine! Lame I know, anyway up early feeling rested and ready for the work week. Finally feeling a lil more at piece and not hating myself so much like I did every morning after drinking the night before.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:52 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Day 6 today and my reward is my babies are coming to stay with me for the next couple days :-) I haven't seen them for more than a couple minutes for over a week
Old 09-10-2012, 06:56 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I can hardly believe that I made it to the podium today... This is my first weekend without drinking in....years? I'm not sure, but it's been a long time!!! I am so happy that I found this forum! The support is amazing, and I feel like I have a portable AA meeting with me all the time. Thank you guys for being there for me.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:59 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hey there My Friends!! Here I am on the podium!! Day 5! Don't think I would've made it w/out you. Thank you for all of your support! Congrats to those who are joining me!

Welcome to all newcomers! Hang in there with us, post & read as often as possible. It has helped me tremendously. It has been years & years since I have had a sober weekend. Hopefully this is the first of many.

WWG, you're not alone. You haven't given up because you're here. I hear what you're saying about the worry of not having fun anymore. Not only have I experienced boredom (although I've done my best to keep busy, I found myself turning in circles), but I've also felt that I'M boring. It's just going to take time to get to know the 'new us'. Something tells me that we're going to like them.

Lefthook, good or bad days, we're all not feeling like ourselves right now. But if being 'ourselves' involves being drunk or high, it's time to discover the new me & you! Just like WWG, we may find that we like that person much better.

FDM, congrats on day 5 (me too)! I'm with Panacea, I'm down 3 (guess it's better than nothing, I guess), but 6 lbs...darn men! lol

SFMS, so proud of you for pouring out that drink!! Your post is so positive! So happy for you, keep up the good work.

Benice, funny, had almost the exact same dream the other night. Not even realizing, I took the last sip out of a wine glass, looked at it & felt terrible. So disappointed in myself. I woke up feeling sick to my stomach. Talk about totally relieved when I realized it was just a dream!

Good luck & best wishes to all for a sober week!
Hugs to all!!
Old 09-10-2012, 07:08 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Happy sober Monday everyone! Proud of all of us!!!
Old 09-10-2012, 07:18 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone...Yes it is great. Glad to be here. Jaz..thats great.

I have not been on SR since Friday. Lots and lots of posts.

WWG.. I read your post. Thats ok. Take it one day at a time. Deal with next Sunday on Sunday. For today, focus on yourself and your family. Lots of support here. We are pulling for you.

Jim
Old 09-10-2012, 07:37 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Home from the park. I admit I am restless and didn't stay long. But we had fun. Now to tackle the kitchen!
Old 09-10-2012, 07:54 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

ivehadenough, good for you for toughing it out!!

PODIUM! Friday: I poured out a mickey - I had to find it first, though, it wasn't hidden where I thought I'd hidden it....ah, the drunk mind is crafty! First time I've gone on a frantic hunt for my stash...........so I could pour it out! Saturday slo-pitch wind up was tough - two margaritavilles on the go, someone handed me a drink, and I looked at it...looked at it long and hard. All I could think was how we'd all agreed to do this, that we were all trying, and I didn't want to have to post that I didn't make it. So I poured it, and refilled my cup with water. Thank you all for giving me the strength to resist!!! I'm going to avoid this type of event for a bit; I made it, but just barely. It's far too early for "slippery places." Far too early.

Congrats, benice, deepbreath, groder, and everyone else who made it through to Monday! Let's make it the rest of the week!

Walkingwithgod: I know I don't have nearly enough days under my belt to offer very good advice, but I second FDM on the soda and cran. I've stocked my fridge with it. My b.f. has already had people over for football, and I need keep an alternative on hand. As long as I'm sipping something, I don't feel out of place, and the guys are so focused on the game, they couldn't care less what I have in my glass.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:03 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

10th Sept '12

...Still on my first day!! So far so good!!

Jx
Old 09-10-2012, 08:04 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Hi I am new here. Not easy to share my feelings but I'm gonna give it my best shot. I'm almost 43 years old and am in the Navy. Married with 3 kids, have been a heavy drinker since I was about 18. I'm, I guess, a "high functioning" drunk because I have been very successful in the Navy but when I get home at night all bets are off. I fall short as a dad and a husband. Very self-absorbed.

Anyway, I am on a Z-Pak for a bad sickness and have been told I cannot drink for 10 days if I want it to work. I need it to work as I haven't been to work since last Thursday.

As for my drinking I drink about a six pack of Budweiser a night, and probably about 9 on the weekends. I skip maybe 2 nights a week. I rarely have hangovers and I don't like anything but beer (not that I deserve praise or anything). Since I got sick last week I have only had a couple of beers but today is day 1 of trying to be clean and sober.

I am doing this for my wife and kids, but I know I have to do it for me. This isn't going to be easy. I love beer and I think I will have a hard time.
Evan
Old 09-10-2012, 08:13 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Jambry123 and Evan3 welcome to the September class! Both of you -congrats on making today day one!

Evan3 – I rarely had hangovers either and I was VERY high functioning, but that only clouded the fact that I needed to quit.

Keep reading and posting. You can do this!
Old 09-10-2012, 08:18 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Evan3 View Post
Hi I am new here. Not easy to share my feelings but I'm gonna give it my best shot. I'm almost 43 years old and am in the Navy. Married with 3 kids, have been a heavy drinker since I was about 18. I'm, I guess, a "high functioning" drunk because I have been very successful in the Navy but when I get home at night all bets are off. I fall short as a dad and a husband. Very self-absorbed.

Anyway, I am on a Z-Pak for a bad sickness and have been told I cannot drink for 10 days if I want it to work. I need it to work as I haven't been to work since last Thursday.

As for my drinking I drink about a six pack of Budweiser a night, and probably about 9 on the weekends. I skip maybe 2 nights a week. I rarely have hangovers and I don't like anything but beer (not that I deserve praise or anything). Since I got sick last week I have only had a couple of beers but today is day 1 of trying to be clean and sober.

I am doing this for my wife and kids, but I know I have to do it for me. This isn't going to be easy. I love beer and I think I will have a hard time.
Evan
I'm high functioning as well. The takeaway here that I see is that you "fall short as a husband and father." You and I both know it has a lot to do with chasing a buzz. Can you imagine how much joy you can bring to to all of their lives at night without the buzz? Imagine how much less self absorbed you'll become? How exciting is that future vision?
Old 09-10-2012, 08:19 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Jaz and bumble - nice job my friends!!! I know if I had any in my reach I'd be drinking as the cravings are strong. So glad to hear you resisted and used our fellowship for inspiration!! I'm trying to follow your leads!

Welcome to the family new members. A beautiful group of people here. I'm on my phone so excuse my brevity!

SFMS: I'm about to wash the dreaded kitchen floor. Will use you for motivation since you're tackling kitchen too...I hate washing floors lol

Here's to a sober morning friends...that's about as far as I can think right now.

Much love to you all
Old 09-10-2012, 08:20 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Sounds pretty great to me! The "high functioning" part has kept me from stop drinking years and years ago.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:24 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Evan3 View Post
Sounds pretty great to me! The "high functioning" part has kept me from stop drinking years and years ago.
Yeah me too. I figured that since I wasn't in the gutter that everything was ok and that I'd eventually get around to quitting. People with hangovers rarely go to the park and practice soccer with their sons. People who are addicted to booze hate when there is a child's school event in the evening because it interferes with their buzz. I don't want to be that guy.