Notices

Class of August 2012 Part 3

Old 09-03-2012, 02:23 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  
...not falling down them

Hey thanks for the welcomes everyone!!

It's raining here on Labor Day. We are having a little indoor bbq looks like. There was an NA picnic we were debating on but it got cancelled so that took care of that.

Right now I am sitting here with a plastic bag on my head waiting for the color to set. I decided to take some advice and dye my hair for fun and something new. I haven't dyed it in years, since I found out I was pregnant with first daughter, 21 years ago!! I picked a light auburn so hope it comes out okay. We shall soon find out.

Otherwise watching some movies on netflix. Right now, "Angel Eyes" with Jennifer Lopez.

Old 09-03-2012, 02:31 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Dear SlimSlim -
Thank you for the link.....and congratulations on 31 days! I will take any extra ounce of wisdom and sage advice I can get (which means I probally should return the unicorn I just purchased - kidding, of course). I am really worried about being able maintaining this sober state of being over the long haul as I have some very entrenched habits and am very sure that this issue with alcohol will not be a passing thing.

Had a great day with the kids - even though it was very muggy and warm, we took a long walk and ended up at the science museum. Now, am back at home - roasting a couple of chickens for the week and trying to finish the laundry. Of course, it is the witching hour for me and I REALLY want a drink - trying to find a substitue with sparkling water....and ending up more water-logged than anything else.

Hope everyone else has had a good day. Ebshot - I am envious of the nap! I am fairly sleep deprived at this point as well. HFA - hope your daughter is now home resting comfortably!

Take care all, Panacea
Old 09-03-2012, 07:26 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

HI all

It's 03.15 a.m. I went to bed hours ago, but just woke up and couldn't get back to sleep, so just having a quick catch up. Went out for tea earlier with an old friend, well we've been friends since we were 16, many moons ago. Had a nice chat about our families etc. Just drank sparkling water with my meal.

Steve, hope the soreness soon wears off, you do put yourself through a gruelling regime. Glad to hear you're eating well though, you'll be like the side of a house soon, the way you're going. You will have that dog spoilt by the time your wife gets back!

MHP, I hope you're feeling better after your op, not drinking must be helping the healing process. Very well done on 21 days. Hope also that the issue with your sister is soon resolved. Family disputes are soul destroying.

HFA, hope you're daughter is on the mend and it is great that you were sober and alert when she needed you. Be proud.

Slim, so sorry to hear that you've been poorly and I hope your health rapidly begins to improve. Not drinking can only be to your advantage during your recovery and don't hesitate to post on here any time. Sometimes it can be good to get things off your chest. I've seen a few comments about that pink cloud, I'd never heard of it until this last week or so. I'm definitely going to read more about it tomorrow.

Erica, I hope you eventually made that phone call. I'm not keen on phoning people either, especially if I don't really know them, but needs must and this call is to your advantage. You can do it.

Quick hello to Applecrumble and W.T.H xxx Keep strong the two of you,

Jo, I find sparkling water goes down well with pasta, in fact it goes down well with anything and it doesn't give you a hangover! Ha ha. Stick with it.

Stairs, hope the hair colour was successful, it's good to have a change sometimes. I did mine last week. I'm hopeless though and somehow manage to get hair dye all over the bathroom tiles etc.

Anyway, I'm up at 06.30 for work, so I'd better get myself back to bed and get some more zzzzzzz's in!

Speak later

Gxxx
Old 09-03-2012, 08:30 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope you guys feel better soon SlimSlim and myhappyproject - congratulations on reaching those 21 and 31 day milestones too

best wishes for your daughter HFA

Welcome Nuway and Stairs
D
Old 09-03-2012, 10:19 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

Thank you all. Day 9 ending. 8 meetings in 8 days so far and still sharing

I have decided to give my ex one last chance of working things out without the court on some conditions. All name calling and cursing me out has to stop, any form of verbal abuse won't be tolerated. He needs to start contributing to my son's college fund and help out with the day to day expenses which he was already doing for the most part. He agreed to all of this and the best part is that I have everything on text and have saved it to my phone so if he does break it I can show the courts why.

My baby is happy and healthy and was enjoying the limelight in todays meeting. Everyone wanted to hold him and it's funny the joy they get out of it because I was never a baby person until now, but I get it now.

A woman shared about holding on to an unhealthy relationship because she essentially didn't want to deal with herself and I identified with that. Someone like myself likes to think that the perfect relationship will make everything better but thats that old addict brain at work just looking for a "fix"/a temporary solution.

There's definitely a lot going on, I have to keep surrendering, Thank God tomorrow's a new day
Old 09-03-2012, 11:26 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Day 6 for me. Sleep is getting a bit better. Cravings are weird. I'm doing great, then i see an empty wine glass and the urge slams me in the face. I immediately removed it from my vicinity. I couldn't look at it. My mind is telling me that empty glass needs to be filled immediately.

As soon as it was out of my sight the craving was as well. Success! lol.

Thanks guys and gals. Good Luck all!
Old 09-03-2012, 11:28 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Hi all, will catch up with the thread later, just starting work. Have a good day.

Day 3
Jim
Old 09-03-2012, 11:41 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Start of day 11 and on the slow coach train to work - have a good day all,

x
Old 09-03-2012, 11:42 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Good morning! The sun's shining again at the moment - am guessing that will continue throughout sobriety, right?

I realised last night that I have one more day under my belt than I thought I had so today is the start of day 13, not 12. I must have picked up a 3 for 1 deal somewhere along the way. I seem to have had my serotonin levels topped up too. Yesterday and today I've not had to drag myself around so much like last week when mentally and physically I was so horribly Low, slow and afraid. I hope I can maintain my levels a bit.

Everyone here is making great progress. Reading some of your stories about added family and health problems, I've noticed improvements in situation and perception already so stay tough.

Have a good day all!

'If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.' Milton Berle
Old 09-04-2012, 01:44 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Good morning to you all Bring on day 17.

Sat in work at the moment, so need to be quick. I'ts raining and grey outside, which always makes me feel better when I'm in work! I'd be gutted if it was a lovely sunny day.

LivelikeGold-I really hope everything works out for you. At the end of the day you have to do what is best for the baby and if you can sort it with your other half that would be brilliant and if you don't, well at least you know you've tried. Good luck and keep us posted. I'm happy for you that you are enjoying the baby.[How old is the baby?

Goa, glad to hear you're getting a bit more sleep, you can cope with life so much better if your not so tired. Good for you, getting rid of that wine glass. Just shows you can do it.

Jamuk and Jo. have a good day in work. Hope the day passes quickly for you. Hope it does for me too! Here till 19.00. Boo!

Applecrumble. of course the sun always shines on sobriety, the world is a much better place,what a bonus discovering you have an extra day. Good stuff.

Well, guess I'd better get some more work done.

See you later.

Big hugs Gxx

Just for today I will exercise my soul in three ways. I will do somebody a good turn, and not get found out. If anyone knows of it, it will not count. I will do at least two things I don’t want to do-just for exercise. I will not show that my feelings are hurt; they may be hurt, but today I will not show it.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:44 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone. Extremely busy at work but thought I would check in. Done 14 days now so feel im "really doing it". I know to take it ONE DAY AT A TIME, but hopefully we keep this thread going for years to come nice folks
Old 09-04-2012, 02:58 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Good morning ya'll.
Day 28...(I miscounted yesterday)

Gotta go in to see a counselor and then a doctor appointment today. That should be interesting since the last time I was at my doctors, I told him emphaticly that I did not have a problem with alcohol. Time to get honest, I reckon.

Welcome to the new folks...you'll like it here.

Have a wonderful sober Tuesday everyone.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:02 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  
One Foot in Front of the Other

You too, Bruce! For what it's worth, I've found with therapists, my outpatient counselor, doctors, my wife, friends, and family, that better help is available if you get honest with them and with yourself. I think your instincts are the correct ones. Hope both of your appointments go well! Let us know.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:03 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Administrator

Honesty is definitely the way to go Bruce

D
Old 09-04-2012, 03:22 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  
One Foot in Front of the Other

Hi all! Beginning of Day 9 for me here. Yesterday went well. As expected, I was unable to keep myself off the motorcycle and went out for a quick ride yesterday morning before the rain came. Practiced hills and braking on target. Got out on some larger more busy roads and got comfortable pushing my speed up a bit. This is truly good activity for my soul, and when I'm doing it I'm so absorbed that drinking and drugs are the furthest thing from my mind.

Back to work this week after the Labor Day holiday, so the bikes will have to take a back seat, but maybe I will be able to sneak in some quick rides in the evenings. I have a really easy week at work, with few meetings and deadlines. Now, I know this will not always be the case (I actually have kind of a high-stress job), but I am grateful for the opportunity to regain my strength and build my skills for the next big challenge that comes up.

I had outpatient treatment again yesterday. Not the norm for a national holiday, but the program I'm affiliated with also runs an inpatient treatment center, so they have someone on staff 24/7. The session went well. It was all about "aspects of addiction" (obsessing/fantasizing, trying to control behavior, lying, rationalizing, effects on physical and mental health, etc.). My counselor and I continue to "click" well, and I continue to earn praise for my honesty and thoughtfulness in completing homework assignments. She really thinks there is some hope for me! Next lesson on Wednesday is all about cost/benefit analysis. I have to come up with 25 consequences of my alcohol addiction, which sounds like a lot, but if I had the time and could really sit and remember everything, I could probably come up with 100!

Hey, I have a favor to ask all of you. GoaStyle (a member of our class with 6 days sober) has his appointment with a probation officer today. He tested positive for alcohol last week. This is serious, and he is worried that he will be sent to jail. I sense his earnestness about recovery, and hope this doesn't turn out to be the case. Would you join me in offering him some words of encouragement? Help to assure him that, no matter what happens today, he can succeed in making a change for the better?

(Not trying to embarrass you or call you out, GoaStyle, just thought you could use some support and trying to rally the troops around you) :-)

I know a few of our members have had some ups and downs lately. Life happens, but there is nothing we will go through that cannot be made worse by drinking or drugging. Have a happy, sober day everybody! Stay strong, and thanks for helping to make me stronger! I'll be checking in throughout the day. Much love to all of you!
Old 09-04-2012, 04:09 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

day 22! Starting to tell siblings that we are not drinking anymore. I thought they would be more curious but just told me good job and then continued with our conversation. I would love it if Thanksgiving could be booze free this year. So happy to have SR to share and read be part of something thats real. Thanks everyone.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:13 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope everyone has a good day - and best of luck GoaStyle...I hope the work you've been doing in the last week will count for something

D
Old 09-04-2012, 04:19 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

I love the sound of still being sober on Thanksgiving and making it through The Thanksgiving holiday sober ... Even though it's not celebrating in Britain hehe! Hey, I remotely made it though Labour Day sober too

GoaStyle and everyone new or struggling, you have our support. Things happen (we're not perfect) but I believe being sober allows us to work through them in different ways, better ways and find ways to cope. Stay strong everyone!
Old 09-04-2012, 04:22 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Go Goa!

Hope it goes well with the probation officier, try and make them see how seriously you are taking recovery,

x
Old 09-04-2012, 04:27 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Hi again

Another quick one

Disctrotter, congratulations on day 14. Have a good day in work.

Morning Bruce, I'm sure you'll be fine with your appointment. Honesty is deffinitely the way forward. That way the Doctor can ensure you'r getting the correct help necessary.

Goa, my thoughts and prayers are with you today. Hopefully, you probation officer will see how serious you are about giving up alcohol and be leniant with you. Fingers and everything crossed. x. Keep us posted and whatever happens, you can beat this and we are all here for you. You are not alone..

W.T.H-The motorbikes sound just the thing to keep you on track. How wonderful to able to take up this hobby and that being sober has enabled you to do it. It's also good that you have 'clicked' so well with your councillor. Life can only get better.

have a great day

Gxxx