Notices

Class of August 2012 Part 3

Old 09-03-2012, 06:43 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Hi Nuway, well done on your day 6 :-)
Old 09-03-2012, 08:10 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
HFA

Panacea...hope you made it to your record dry spell. Post and we can celebrate with you.
Had to take my youngest, iPod losing, daughter to er last nite.12 hr later she had her appendix removed. Then my other d locked her self out of the house. Hour round trip. Stress was high yet again, but I did not drink. Back at hospital today waiting to take her home.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:10 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Thanks, everyone.

And Jimuk, I've been in that dark place as well. So glad you did the strong thing and came here again. I hope each day is lighter and brighter for you.

Wow, HFA--that's a lot going on! It's great that you didn't drink.
I hope your daughter is recovering just fine.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:33 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Hi again

Well done Panacea on day 4, it gets better from here on in, honestly. S.R tattooed on your rear end eh!! Hmm let me think, you could tell people it stands for 'so raunchy'. Ha ha lol.

Welcome Nuway, the more the merrier. Well done on day 6. that's a whole week tomorrow. Keep it up, you can do this.

HFA, you are doing so well, you're so strong. All that stress and you didn't cave. Wonderful stuff.

Applepie and WTH, hi again.

Catch up again with you all later.

Gxx
Old 09-03-2012, 08:50 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Welcome newcomers!

HFA what a stressful time, hope your daughter is doing ok, x
Old 09-03-2012, 09:09 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

HFA good luck with your daughter.

Day 5 for me. I'm hanging in there. I'm very tired yet I can't sleep lol. I just want to sleep like 12 hours straight.

Keep on truckin!
Old 09-03-2012, 09:11 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  
...not falling down them

Hi,

My sober date is 8-20-12. I like the idea of being in a group with close dates and would like to join in here.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:36 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Stairs!!!!!!
Old 09-03-2012, 09:39 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Welcome to you too Stairs, this is just getting better and better.

Lets go for it

Gxx
Old 09-03-2012, 10:49 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Welcome Nuway and Stairs - I aspire to cross the line to day six and beyond!

HFA - AS a parent, I can commiserate! When it rains, pours - doesn't it. My son had appendicitis @ 2 years ago - he has always been a bit dramatic and I thought he was just trying to miss school, etc. I let him go @ 3 days, run a 5K, attend several soccer matches prior to taking him in (he was rolling around on the floor groaning) Needless to say, I did not win mother of the year that year. You are doing great!

take care, Panacea
Old 09-03-2012, 10:52 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome Stairs :-)
Old 09-03-2012, 11:14 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Welcome Nuway and stairs...Three quarters through Day 16 and I'm feeling good,sore but good....Had an epic chest and biceps workout at the gym and now I can proper feel it...Have eaten like a beast once again,all good clean food and plenty of fruit and water...Still enjoying the peace and quite with the wife and kids being away and the dogs loving it too because he gets the run of the house and his spot on the sofa everytime she goes away...Lol...Just had a huge dinner and feeling rather full now...Gonna mess about on the computer for a while and then get an early night I think....I hope everyone else has had a great day...Take care all....Steve....
Old 09-03-2012, 11:47 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

21 Days Sober!

So I rounded out August with 18 days and now I've officially hit 3 weeks or 21 days without drinking! It's been very challenging, but very rewarding and an overwhelming feeling of accomplishment.

Some of you saw my other posts regarding having emergency surgery last Monday to remove an enlarged and infected Gall Bladder. This was preceded with about 5 days of feeling really sick. In my old life I would have turned to drinking to numb the pain, not this time. I actually didn't even consider that as an option.

I've also been trying to closeout a 1.5 year long personal family betrayal over a land investment with my Sister. As many of you also experience, Family drama issues have always lead me to feeling depressed, sad and I would turn to the drink to help me not "feel" the depths of the betrayal. This time, I faced it head on and didn't consider drinking my way to a coma as an alternative. After all, I know that in the end it only delays feeling the pain, it doesn’t diminish or dismiss feeling it all together.

A friend of mine from Graduate School died way to young and my Husband’s cousin was diagnosed with cancer in his pancreas.

One by one, I'm facing these issues down and not letting them push me to behavior that I know is only destructive to myself.

Up until the emergency surgery and hospital stay, I was continuing to follow my extreme self-care therapy and I can't wait to be released from my Dr. so that I can resume (I can't even take my beloved hot baths at this point with 5 holes in my abdomen) and enhance my self-care regimen.

Next milestone is 30 days…. To all of you who are struggling with the beginning days, stay strong, know that you are the only one that can take care of you and that you can get through anything and still remain strong and sober!

I've been working at this for over 2 years, my prior record was a mere 9 days before my resolve broke or I thought I was past it, we can all do this if we support each other.

Old 09-03-2012, 12:03 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
One Foot in Front of the Other

Welcome stairs and myhappyproject! It's good to see you both here! Keep reading and posting, we're glad to call you "one of our own"!

HFA, sorry to hear about your daughter, but glad she is on the road to recovery. I am really glad to hear that you remained sober and were able to be present in the moment for her. You deserve all the credit in the world for being a good parent! And it feels good, doesn't it?
Old 09-03-2012, 12:18 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Day 31. Still making progress with continued abstinence.

Welcome newbies. I have not been posting on a regular basis. I'm home on medical leave and have been lying low due to health issues that are not improving, thus I am not in a very positive state of mind. Don't want to bring others down, plus I am frustrated by how slowly the medical profession moves. I have one month left of medical leave and at this rate, doubt that I will have any kind of diagnosis or treatment that will allow me to return to work.

Congrats to those who have resisted temptation and are adding days to sobriety, some breaking personal best records. Also kudos to those who have faced some major stresses of live sober and did not relapse. One key to being successful in maintaining sobriety is to never take that first drink again. As we accumulate sober time, we may fall under the "pink cloud". I've seen this a number of times on SR and did not know exactly what it meant, so I found this:

Surviving the Pink Cloud in Recovery

I think it's worthwhile to understand this and the experience of others so perhaps we can avoid this pitfall. I see that many of us in this class joined SR well before August 2012 and either took a long time to attempt sobriety or had prior relapses. Maybe we can start looking at some of those situations or attitudes that challenge our sobriety with time and develop strategies/plans to face these challenges?

Keep up the good work, class.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:32 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Really useful. Thanks, SlimSlim and Congratulations on 31 days. You're doing brilliantly and I really hope your health issues surrounding concerns ease soon.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:42 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

I hope you'll consider coming around more often, SlimSlim. Don't worry about bumming anyone out. We're here to encourage and support. One of us may need to lean on you sometime, ya know?

Congrats on your 31 days...it is remarkable! I hope your health problems are resolved sooner rather than later, but remember in any case, you can only be helping yourself by sticking to the path you're on now. Great job!
Old 09-03-2012, 01:21 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Congrats on 31 days Slim! If you need anything feel free to pm me. It's a small state so we can't be that far apart.

After a few days of really, really struggling, I am feeling better this afternoon. I took a nap today and woke up feeling way better. I'm wondering if I was struggling just because I was tired.

I was supposed to check in with my temporary sponsor last night but I didn't. Am I the only one who hates phone calls? I just don't like it. But I know if I do not put anything into the program I won't get anything out of it. So I'll call tonight.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:30 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Good plan, ebshot! And glad you are feeling better...I know these last few days have been rough on you.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:22 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Slimslim - thanks for the post on pink cloud, I didn’t know what it meant, it will help me remain on my guard.

Erica, glad your feeling better and you’ll feel better still once you’ve made the call, x

mynewproject, sorry to hear you’ve been having such a rubbish time health wise, well done on three weeks - brilliant!

Stevie - hope your not missing the family too much and that the dog doesn’t get too used to the sofa! ps your staffie reminds me our old dog. My mum didn’t have the heart to pick a dog from the rescue centre so she just asked for the one that had been there the longest and that’s how we got ‘Mr Angry’ - ironically named by the centre staff. He was part staffie and part something else, looked quite ‘hard’ but was the most docile dog you could ever meet (he was bullied by the cat!)

WTH - sounds like your enjoying those bikes, stay safe,

Welcome again to new members, x

End of day 10 for me, finally in double digits, still batting away the odd craving, surprising how quickly it takes hold, once I think “mmm pasta for tea, you know what would go well with that?”, I start to picture opening the bottle - must remain vigilant,

x