Notices

Class of August 2012 Part 3

Old 09-07-2012, 04:20 AM
  # 221 (permalink)  
...not falling down them

Hello, day 19 here.

Went to a very good candlelight NA women's meeting last night.

Hang in there everybody, it has to get better.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:28 AM
  # 222 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WantToHeal View Post
Another one shared at my outpatient session last night, again borrowed from AA, but probably applicable whether you are an AA'er or not. It certainly describes me, does it describe you?

I drank for happiness, and I became unhappy.
I drank for joy, and I became miserable.
I drank for sociability, and I became argumentative.
I drank for sophistication, and I became obnoxious.
I drank for friendship, and I made enemies.
I drank to sleep, and I woke up tired.
I drank for strength, and I felt weak.
I drank for relaxation, and I got the shakes.
I drank for courage, and I became afraid.
I drank for confidence, and I became doubtful.
I drank to make conversation easier, and I slurred my speech.
I drank to feel heavenly, and I ended up feeling like hell.
Yup! Kind of spells out the insanity of it all

Have strong days all! I altered my cv and now am lining up interviews haha after not getting any even though I probably applied for 40. Blimey. Scared now but won't drink.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:40 AM
  # 223 (permalink)  

Hi all,

At the job interviews I look forward to looking people in the eye and knowing that I have been sober and that I've been working at sobriety. My confidence used to be affected by the shame of knowing that id just had a drunken rant, screamed the house down or either raised hell in public or gone to sleep on a pavement (probably both) and that would never have been long before ... Perhaps even the night before.

Even when I managed to be sober for a few weeks, because I never consciously worked it through minute after minute of the day, I always knew that at the end of my sober period I could drink, and when I drank I would cause horrendous problems. It gives me confidence now that I can be in control of my response to alcoholism, that I won't drink and therefore won't have these results.

I've always had problems looking people in the eye but I'm gonna see how it feels now. It might be easier.

Xxx
Old 09-07-2012, 06:48 AM
  # 224 (permalink)  

Nice Applecrumble,

Thats the beauty isnt it? Recovery isnt just about "not drinking" , it's so much more. why did we all take so long to wake up to this?

Old 09-07-2012, 07:16 AM
  # 225 (permalink)  
One Foot in Front of the Other

Originally Posted by discTosser View Post
why did we all take so long to wake up to this?
Hear, hear! I may never be able to figure that out, but dang, I'm sure glad my eyes are open now!
Old 09-07-2012, 07:28 AM
  # 226 (permalink)  
...not falling down them

Originally Posted by discTosser View Post
Recovery isnt just about "not drinking" , it's so much more. why did we all take so long to wake up to this?
I don't know but for some reason for me it was always about "not drinking" and after I was feeling great and things were going well, I would "forget" how bad it could get and go back to drinking. It could be for any number of reasons, "I'm an adult and if I want to drink I will dammit", "I'm tired of people thinking I'm ms. goody two shoes", "eff this I'm getting some beer", etc.
This time I understand that there has to be a fundamental change in ME, that recovery is not abstinence alone. I never got that before!!! That's why I'm in therapy in addition to meetings. I wanted a safe place with the same person every week - twice a week for 6 weeks then probably once a week after- where I could talk about all the things I have not talked about , or lied about, over the years, I guess you could call it the "secrets that kept me sick".

Thanks everyone! **HUG**
Old 09-07-2012, 08:16 AM
  # 227 (permalink)  

Just got back from the dentist,I have a loose wisdom tooth and an abcess right behind it so I am in soooooo much pain..Gotta take antibiotics for a week and then they can take the tooth out...Pain killers are just kicking in so I can try and get some food down my neck....This mornings gym session was sh1t as I didn't have enough to eat cos of my tooth so I'm pissed off at that....Gonna spend the day trying to eat tomorrow and then hit the gym on Sunday....I hope everyone has a great,sober weekend and I'll keep checking in...Take care....Steve...
Old 09-07-2012, 12:09 PM
  # 228 (permalink)  

Hi all,

Waiting for a pizza delivery as a Friday night treat, two weeks today for me today - yay!

Thrown a slight curve ball last night when my partner opened a bottle of wine and was surprised I didn't even want to 'try a taste'. He appears to have only just realised I was serious about never drinking again and expressed his surprise since, as he says, I'm not an alcoholic - not what I needed to hear but I was pleased at how (relatively) easy I found it say no - I definitely would struggled with this a week ago.

My Jack Trimpey book on rational recovery arrived today so I am looking forward to getting stuck into that. I found the online crash course into AVRT really useful for my first couple of days and hoping the book will strengthen my resolve further.

Slimslim, still thinking of you, I am sure Dee is right about the ability of our bodies to adapt.

HFA, hope you find a programme that works for you, I would struggle with the spiritual side of AA too.

Stevie - hope the tooth is sorted out soon, at least you don't have to worry about mixing antibiotics and alcohol!

Hope everyone else has been getting on ok,

X
Old 09-07-2012, 12:22 PM
  # 229 (permalink)  
One Foot in Front of the Other

Originally Posted by Veggiejojo View Post
My Jack Trimpey book on rational recovery arrived today so I am looking forward to getting stuck into that. I found the online crash course into AVRT really useful for my first couple of days and hoping the book will strengthen my resolve further.
I own and have read both "Rational Recovery" and "The Small Book" by Jack Trimpey. He really breaks all of this down in very no-nonsense terms. If AVRT is an approach that speaks to you, and you are on board with a very blunt style of writing, I think you will get a lot out of the book.

Oh, and enjoy the pizza! Jealous! But it is the least you can do for yourself for sticking out two whole weeks! Congrats!
Old 09-07-2012, 01:40 PM
  # 230 (permalink)  

@ Stevie, I hope your tooth feels better soon. My youngest son had an abscessed tooth last week and had to have it pulled. No fun.

@ Veggie, I love pizza. What kind are you having? I think we might order pizza too.

I went to an afternoon meeting today. There were only a few other people there. It felt good to share openly.

I also went for a run today. I love to run but have not run in a few months. I ran a mile and it was slow but it's a start and everyone has to start somewhere, right? Right.

What is everyone planning for the weekend?
Old 09-07-2012, 02:04 PM
  # 231 (permalink)  

Hi Erica,

Veggie mexicana - it had a slight kick and was drizzled with sour cream - it was delish,

Congrats on the run, a mile is a great start, I only ever run when I'm late for the train but between you and Stevie I might be inspired to do a bit more,

X
Old 09-07-2012, 02:11 PM
  # 232 (permalink)  

So glad you guys are doing welll,

I found my ex is in a new relationship tonight, I'm heartbroken, Sorry I( could not cope without the booze. I'm hoping to get back tommorrow,

much love for you, Jim
Old 09-07-2012, 02:21 PM
  # 233 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really sorry Jim - I feel your pain.

I hope you'll look at this tomorrow tho

Sorry I( could not cope without the booze.
and accept it's one of those damned lies our addiction tells us at our weakest moments.

You'll move on from this and thrive Jim
take care of yourself man - dump whats left and get some rest.

D
Old 09-07-2012, 02:30 PM
  # 234 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Veggiejojo View Post
Hi Erica,

Veggie mexicana - it had a slight kick and was drizzled with sour cream - it was delish,
That sounds wonderful. I think we will go for plain cheese here. I know it's boring but that is about all the kids can agree on.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:42 PM
  # 235 (permalink)  

Hi everybody

This is my bedtime post, the little one is sound asleep and I'm sat up in bed with my cup of tea. It's been a lovely sunny day today, even had the paddling pool out this afternoon, so that kept the cherub-pests busy whilst I did a spot of gardening. I've written my shopping list out for tomorrow and planned a healthy eating plan again. Oh, I'm so organised I'll be meeting myself coming back!

I'm going to have a good read about AVRT later and see what it's all about.

W.T.H, I've posted a very similar poem to that on here somewhere. It's one of the ones in my little notebook that I read very often. The words are so true. Why do we do the things we do?

Stairs, a candle lit meeting sounds very different. Hope you enjoyed it. As for your quotes about your reasons for drinking, with me I think I got very complacent, a case of I've had one and I'm fine, so I'll have another ( and another). I don't know it's like when everything is going well, I have to press my self distruct button! I understand also now that there has to be a change in me and now I'm ready for that change!

Apple, good luck with your interviews, I'll keep my fingers and everything crossed. You have the right attitude now, you go look them in the eye and give it your all. Sock it to em!

Disctosser, why indeed did we take so long to wake up to realising recovery is so much more than abstinence? I've asked myself that question and can't think of a logical answer.

Steve, hope the antibiotics have started to kick in. Look after yourself, abscesses are horrible things and can make you feel quite poorly.

Jo, happy 2 week anniversary, you did well saying no to that wine, it can't be easy when the other half is drinking it. You deserved a pizza for that!

Erica, good for you going for a run, great stuff, you deserve a pizza too after that.

Anyway, night all

Stay strong

Sobriety rocks!

Gxx
Old 09-07-2012, 02:55 PM
  # 236 (permalink)  

Jim,

Sorry you've had this news, stay strong, things have a way of working out (as Grace might say)

Don't beat yourself up over the booze, what's done is done and tomorrow is a new day (and as Dee says dump what's left!)

Take care,

x
Old 09-07-2012, 03:07 PM
  # 237 (permalink)  

Hey Jim

I'm sorry you've had such a bad day.

Things happen for a reason and there will be something better for you along the way.

Throw the booze away, you don't need it. Tomorrows a new day, embrace it and start afresh. We are all here for you.

Big hugs

Gxx
Old 09-07-2012, 03:34 PM
  # 238 (permalink)  

Jim, sorry you are going through this!

Hugs.
Old 09-07-2012, 03:35 PM
  # 239 (permalink)  

Grace, AVRT was really helpful for me. I have never been able to maintain my sobriety over a week, it made all the difference.
Old 09-07-2012, 03:40 PM
  # 240 (permalink)  

Oooh thanks for that Alaska. I've read a bit about it and it looks very interesting so I'm going to study it over the week end. I see they do a crash course online. Something to think about anyway.

Hope all is okay in your world.

Gxx