Class of July 2012 Part 4

we continue from here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-3-a-20.html

D
Old 08-12-2012, 07:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Thanks, D

Congrats on the 4 Sundays MtnS!!!! Great job.

Marj... hope you get time to spend some quality time with h soon.

Katan... Kickin Asphalt under the Fitness Threads

TiG... Caffeine makes me hyper - and I'm trying to calm down. I have one cup of coffee in the morning and an Earl Grey tea in the afternoon. Maybe a Coke Zero if I'm going to a meeting after work. That's it. When you have anxiety issues.... caffeine makes them worse.

Hope everyone is having a good night.

Sarah, I saw you lurking... you ok?

All women's meeting tonight was good. They did a step meeting and I requested a first step which they do if a new comer requests it. I'm looking at it from all angles. Actually I'm looking at recovery from all angles -- then I have a pretty decent idea for a book. But I'm telling you guys yet.....

Love you Julians.... take care of yourselves.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Fly by post to wish everyone a great start to the week. Too tired to form a coherent sentence but still "aware" Love all the words people came up with as alternatives to sober!
Old 08-12-2012, 09:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
kiddo

parents are going to a narcon meeting. Hopefully they start understanding soon. Still sober today
Old 08-12-2012, 09:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcomes. I am still plugging along. I bought a treadmill today. I walked religiously and worked out before buying a new house in April. Then I quit and tried to stay busy round the house with projects. Owning a house triggered my daily drinking again. So many worries and responsibility. I realize my daily walks were therapy. The only time I really listened deeply to music and let my mind work through things. And the regimen made me feel in control and good about my body. So I am going to start walking again and step away from fast food and ice cream. I am so not a fast food junkie. Stocked up on fruit today. I need to cook more. Still day by day.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Yay, Emma!
Old 08-12-2012, 11:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Morning all

Thanks Dee-wow-Part 4!

Iwillwait-Ice cream is my downfall too. Welcome to the class

Last night I wanted a drink badly. I quit in Jan and lasted 6 weeks,same place I am now.I don't know if subconsciously I'm thinking of that or if after 6 weeks abstinence I feel better and think 'oh a couple won't hurt'. I didn't drink but just don't feel as strong as I did.Going on hols at the weekend too which shouldn't be a problem as going with a non drinker and s/c so no hotel bar but just associate hols with wine
Old 08-12-2012, 11:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

you can make new associations JHE

D
Old 08-13-2012, 03:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
kiddo

Got the wrong time for the meeting for my parents tonight, lol.

There were people from the US at my meeting tonight - Bob D (I heard he made a lot of CD's or something) and another guy. Was great to hear them.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Stingy athlete recovery method

Hello all,

I am glad to be back from a trip which was full of the most tiresome social pressuring. Social life these days has been exhausting. Noticing this makes me depressed.

On a positive note, I was able to maintain my exercise schedule while traveling. It is great to hear on this list of you who are starting or increasing exercise. Exercise is one of the few things I look forward to these days.

Wonderful list members, good luck on your efforts--and thank you for your messages!

Mel
Old 08-13-2012, 07:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Nice about the parents, Emma - that should help them understand. Way to go.

jeh.... STEP AWAY FROM THE ALCOHOL - this is your sub-conscious speaking You do NOT need that poison in your body... it's liquid death. Breathe in some fresh air... breathe in life!!!

Good post, IWW!

Hey Mel.... welcome back!! I'm not so much a social butterfly either... but I'm learning to be cordial

Doc said that I actually looked worse today than last time.... funny, I thought I looked better.
Anyway, still on 1/2 day work 1/2 day home-work. And I'm taking the Klonopin in the mornings.... at least.
She said it should last up to 8 hours.... and if she took it, she'd be ready to sleep. For me, on the other hand, it lasts 4-6 hours tops and just gets me to the feeling like a normal human being. She said that my liver is probably metabolizing it quicker.

So, I go back to see her on the 27th. I'm about 75% better physically - strength is coming back little by little. Mentally, I'm about 50%. I'm praying the next couple weeks puts me in a higher bracket mentally.

Getting some more intense prayer at church... you know, I believe in God as my God and I'm finding out that He cares a lot about making me better and healing the hurts that are inside. It's part of the my healilng journey.

Sentso, Sarah, everybody else that I KNOW I'm forgetting in my finite mind...... HI!!!

Have a FACT-filled day
Old 08-13-2012, 08:04 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good morning. The fact that I am here and sober this morning is a miracle in itself. The wedding I went to yesterday was a scotch lover's wet-dream - Johnny Walker Black and Gold, Glenlivett 12 and 15 year old, and Glenfiddich!! My mouth was watering for a taste of each of course...
Drank what felt like gallons of water and soda water. Finally left during the dancing around 10pm, as I just couldn't do it anymore...
Went home and had a cup of tea (more liquid)
Old 08-13-2012, 08:07 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Emma - I am so glad your parents getting some education how to support you in your recovery.
Mel - welcome back.
R4R - Take care of yourself...and glad the healing services are helping.
JHE, OBladi, WillWait, NFW, Dee...so nice to read everyone's posts and know I am not the alone.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:13 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Really4Real View Post
Getting some more intense prayer at church... you know, I believe in God as my God and I'm finding out that He cares a lot about making me better and healing the hurts that are inside. It's part of the my healilng journey.

Sentso, Sarah, everybody else that I KNOW I'm forgetting in my finite mind...... HI!!!

Have a FACT-filled day
Hi R4R, I am here. Have been lurking because I was back to my old ways this weekend.

But today, once again, I have raised the white flag and I surrender. The cycle has to stop for good. I cannot drink. Like you, I'm going to let God begin healing me fully so I stop turning to the wine. I re-read Carr's book and was reminded of what a truly devastating trap alcohol is to us.

I'm takinga mental health day today. Going to take it easy, do a lot of reflecting, reading, and hanging out with my kids.

I know. Broken record. But this is really for real this time.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:58 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

hello everyone,

ThanksDee-you're right. It's not a place I've been before so no associations atleast

Glad your meeting went well R4R

Sorry to hear that Sarah.Hope you have a new plan

GLad you are ok Mel

That sounds awful Katan for someone sober.good on you for not giving in. you are not alone.

Thanks for all the helpful advice on the job situation -I've decided to take the job-Feeling quite excited so know it's the right decision.Scary though!!
Old 08-13-2012, 09:22 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

JHE - Scary sometimes is good, it can be exciting and exhilarating. Just remember we are all here rooting for you.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:22 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Sarah - It's nice to hear from you.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:59 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by katan View Post
JHE - Scary sometimes is good, it can be exciting and exhilarating. Just remember we are all here rooting for you.
Thank you
Old 08-13-2012, 10:31 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

No one should worry about sounding like "a broken record". It means you're coming back to SR each time you slip, and making a commitment to try again. That's a good thing! It can't be all sunshine and kittens in a shared experience like this one, that's for sure!

It is really tricky once you start feeling better because you feel so "normal" it's very tempting to think "one or two wouldn't hurt". Chasing those feelings away takes a lot of work. I imagine that wedding was about the most tempting situation around...good for you Katan! Mel, it is exhausting trying to be out socially and stay aware, abstain, have fun, and not lose your mind lol

Maybe the exercise thing will start for me this week. So many people here are having great results with an exercise program. I used to work out years ago, I have to get back into the mindset that it's possible to get back in shape someday. It seems overwhelming I have so far to go.

Have a nice vacation JHE! Welcome back Sarah! Emma, glad your parents are going to learn more about all of this-it will help you, I'm sure.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:08 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi everyone!

Well one of our dearest friends is in ICU because of his alcoholism. He's over 270 miles away, so we can't just drop what we are doing to get there. He has tried to clean up many times, but apparently he has gone right back into it. I have to call his wife tonight and see what we can do.

My hubby listened to the message, and I stood there watching him listen. And since our lives are always so rushed, and I never have time to tell him what's going on. I told him I will call her tonight. I told him, that I'm ready to go to AA, and he does not have to go as I have to do it for myself. I don't expect him to quit drinking for me, but if he chooses, it would help. I told him I've been trying over the past couple weeks and with little success. But, then I just said "well, we'll have to chat more about it later becuase you have to run" (had to stop at a friend's that we owe money for some hinges he's making for our classic camper).

Last time when I told him, it was quick because he was heading to camp with some friends. It actually worked out good, because I didn't overtalk, didn't get rambling, just tossed it out there. He then had some time away from me for it to sink in. Then when we sat down and talked about it again later, I went into more detail, and it worked out very well.

So, it's out there. I feel a bit better, but will feel better when we get more time to chat about it.

In the meantime, I have to focus on my friend and pray he gets better and then can find a place to recover from this.

There's an AA meeting at 8:00 p.m. tonight, but I have to work, so I won't make it, plus it's a 30 mile drive one way. It's a beginners night. But, I'm getting closer to it. The fact I even looked up the time and place is a start. I still like the AVRT concept....but as we all talked, we don't have to follow one route 100%. We just have to give 100% to following a path that works for us as individuals.

Exercise - I love to walk. I enjoy working out about 30 minutes, 3x/week. Not a junkie. Just enjoy a good stretch routine, some weights, and such. I find when I work out, I feel much better. Summer is my worst time. Winter - I love, so I tend to be in better shape in the winter than summer (opposite of most people - then again, we camp in the winter, too). So, any one that can toss in exercise with their sober road will truly benefit.

Sarah - I'm glad you are here, too. Don't stop posting, no matter what. I feel like a heel when I post "bad news", but I know I have to. It's the only way I'll keep pushing myself to continue my journey in the right direction.

Well, I have lots of work to do, dinner to make, and then later call our friend's wife. I have a feeling it will be a deep conversation. I'm glad Mom and I will be closer to them this coming week so maybe I can stop and see them both.

Ugh.....makes me sad he didn't reach out over the past half year.

I'm okay today, and it feels good.