Notices

Class of August 2012

Old 07-31-2012, 10:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Class of August 2012

If you're quitting drink/drugs this month, or planning to do so, this is the place to be

there's nothing like support from folks who are in the same situation and who understand

welcome aboard everybody!

D
Old 07-31-2012, 10:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

anyone looking for the July thread - it's here

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...art-3-a-5.html

D
Old 08-01-2012, 12:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Jake, 19

I guess that's me then. I'm starting over today.

Although, i've got three hours to wait in an airport café for my flight, and there's beer for sale at 40p per bottle. Won't be buying any though. I'd be smashed by boarding time and would probably be denied entry to the plane. I'm having chicken and lemon crisps and some water instead. Quite edgy without the benzos, hopefully I wasn't using them long enough for full on WD. And i'm just waiting for the opiate withdrawal to kick in. I'm guessing it'll come at about midnight tonight, since that'll be 24 hours after my last use and that's when it normally starts. No sleep for me tonight then. And i'd better buy some extra toilet rolls.

Anyway. Class of August 2012, count me in.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome Jake

D
Old 08-01-2012, 01:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm here. Joining the class of Aug 2012. Must make this happen.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome NewHouse

D
Old 08-01-2012, 03:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Me also just can't get out of the weekend binge cycle or neighbours offer of a glass of wine or 2 now back to day 1 again I hope I get to end of month and beyond this time
Old 08-01-2012, 03:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome rosie

It's really important to be prepared to make changes I think - we can;t change our lives without changes

and it's also a great idea to make plans ahead of time for those kinds of situations when you know your sobriety will be challenged

D
Old 08-01-2012, 04:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee

already dreading the weekend can't remember the last time I got through one without a drink last year at least I think then it was only one

Really want to get out of this way of living and mindset that keeps insisting that enjoying yourself equals drinking your self stupid it crept up on me so slow that I didn't notice what was happening till about a year ago then I just brushed it aside well no more its time to get real with myself and admit that this is not normal and I need to quit

So here I am in August class and looking forward to of not dreading a sober weekend
Old 08-01-2012, 06:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm joining the class of August 2012!

Will I be able to put this on a resume LOL!
Old 08-01-2012, 06:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

First time here, and I'm feeling really scared. For the past year or so, have been binging every couple months or so. Fortunately nothing too terrible has happened but last weekend, I got a little too friendly (but didn't cheat) with someone who is not my husband, then had a complete meltdown. I'm starting to connect dots with other events in the past and am now seeing that somewhat of a pattern has developed. I didn't realize it because it's been so spread out over time.

I don't feel the pull of getting drunk that often, but know that when I do it's because of a desire to let loose, as I feel like I spend so much of my life feeling stressed out or just blah. People tend to think I'm a goody-goody or wound too tight, and sometimes I just want to get a little crazy to prove them otherwise.

I'm seeing a therapist and have been for a year. We have discussed my alcohol use but I guess maybe I didn't see it as a focal point and therefore we haven't spent much time on it. I also take an anti anxiety medication, but am beginning to think maybe I should switch back to an anti-depressant instead, as I've taken in the past.

Overall I'm just really scared. Scared to have another problem to deal with, and scared of an uphill battle that I'm not sure I'm strong enough to fight. So far I haven't had much luck with giving up soda, or unhealthy snacks, or forcing myself to exercise. I'm worried I don't have the willpower to give up alcohol completely.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Fresh month, fresh start. I'm in
Old 08-01-2012, 08:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I am in again. I flunked out of July but I am going to try again now. I have to do this.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Here again

Was class of December 2010 at one point. Wish I would have just stuck with it back then. But here's to a fresh start. My biggest fear in quitting up until today was that I could loose my husband. But I've realized today that it doesn't matter anymore because if I die from drinking I'll have lost him anyway...

Looking forward to meeting everyone in my new class - August 2012 - may it be my last!
Old 08-01-2012, 08:53 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome everyone! Today is a great day to be sober!
Old 08-01-2012, 09:58 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome everyone and grats on joining the class of August! Stay close. It's unbelievable how many of us didn't think we could get through a day, a weekend, a cookout, a wedding, without drinking. It is possible and it is rewarding. And you do deserve it and you are worth it.
Rosie I also completely thought it was impossible to go through a whole weekend without drinking, like I'd regret wasting that time, then have to wait for the next weekend to drink again or something. It took a few tries but once I got that first weekend under my belt I felt more confident to keep going. I made non drinking plans, the movies mostly, the first few weekends. Told my husband my desire to not drink. Did not see people I normally drank with. And I do not regret the weekends since that I have not drank. But oh how I remember regretting many weekends that I had drank. Hope that made sense.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:09 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hello
I am also in.......
Am on day 7 of cold turkey from codeine. Also have had a bit of a binge drinking issue in the past, which hasn't been an issue for some time ( probably cos I've had the codeine). Since giving up the c I have felt more and more compelled to drink (but havnt) so thinking I should give that away too.
Sarah
Old 08-01-2012, 12:07 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm In
Old 08-01-2012, 12:27 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm in. Do we get name tags or anything like that :p
Old 08-01-2012, 12:33 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm in!! This is the quit for me!!! I never want to wake up not remembering "If I talked to anyone the night before on the phone and IF I did hoping I didn't act like to much of an ass etc... I want to remember making love to my Husband and reading my Daughter a bed time story without a drink in hand and slurring. I have the best Husband in the world and I have yelled at him insulted him and do not even remember doing it!!! The poor Man!!