Notices

Class of August 2012

Old 08-06-2012, 06:51 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Destroyer - Day 1
Old 08-06-2012, 08:04 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Hey everyone - I posted a random post yesterday in the new comers area. Looking to cut alcohol from my life completely. It's a bit daunting thinking about that, especially in regards to holidays, dating and parties, but I just gotta concentrate on getting out of the rut w/ binging on the weekends.

I have a pretty big addictive personality. I was addicted to chewing tobacco for a solid 6 years of my life and actually wound up quitting when I came across a chewing tobacco online support group. It was grueling but was able to kick the habit after literally dozens of quit attempts. Accountability really is key, so I'm looking forward to doing the same with this group.

D
Old 08-06-2012, 08:32 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Welcome, Destroyer

Originally Posted by destroyer View Post
Hey everyone - I posted a random post yesterday in the new comers area. Looking to cut alcohol from my life completely. It's a bit daunting thinking about that, especially in regards to holidays, dating and parties, but I just gotta concentrate on getting out of the rut w/ binging on the weekends.

I have a pretty big addictive personality. I was addicted to chewing tobacco for a solid 6 years of my life and actually wound up quitting when I came across a chewing tobacco online support group. It was grueling but was able to kick the habit after literally dozens of quit attempts. Accountability really is key, so I'm looking forward to doing the same with this group.

D
Just a couple of questions for you:

How long did it take for you to post here once you decided you wanted to cut alcohol completely?

When you were finally able to kick the habit with chewing tobacco, what was different for you that time?

I asked the first question, because there's a whole lot of inner dialogue going on during that time period. It seems that your inner dialogue has been pretty strong, because your looking to cut alcohol out of your life completely. Daunting? That all depends on how firm your resolve is and how much you listen to your inner voice as opposed to the addictive voice.

With the second question, this is for your reflection. You had success with breaking one addiction; use the same strategies that worked for you then to beat this addiction.

Again, welcome! There is a lot of support here.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:31 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Welcome destroyer! Focus on today! Funny about the quitting dip as I just quit myself. Used nicorette gum and just finished last week.

Dee, I have reviewed avrt and smart before, but I suppose it's time for me to take another look at them. Im off from work for most of the summer so I'm trying to stay busy. Just finished lifting at the gym and am about to go for a bike ride. I'm also training for my second marathon so I really need to stay focused. I ran 15 miles yesterday.

I just am getting way ahead of myself and worrying about quitting for good. When I really need to focus on today. I'm already bargaining with myself like "just have two beers and no hard booze" or "never drink more than 5 beers". But I've been telling myself these types of things for twenty years. Ugh!!

Plus I'm dealing with the depression and obsession of my recent breakup. This happens every time I lose a relationship. Why am I so fragile? Why can't I just man up?
Old 08-06-2012, 10:08 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Day 3 is a beautiful sunny day after several days of oppressive heat and humidity. It was difficult to stay hydrated.

A thunderstorm came through last night, thus the great weather today. With the heavy rain, the satellite dish went out on the TV, so I went to bed and read a bit more of Rational Recovery. I had read Beyond the Influence on Saturday. Talk about diametrically opposed views! I am in agreement with the basic premise of RR, which I had been formulating on my own, prior to reading the book. I’m having difficulty with the author’s tone and still believe that it is possible and important for each individual to explore different means to sobriety and adopt whatever mix of strategies will work for them. To me there is no “one size fits all” solution.

I am being gentle with myself all the while still focusing on me, my recovery and my health. I’ve neglected housework for a while (no concentration) and am now doing a little bit more each day.

Last night the Alcohol & Drug Counselor called and I now have an appointment this Thursday. She must have been on vacation; I left a message on Wednesday and she called on Sunday night! Took me a minute to realize who was calling.

Yesterday my neighbor came to borrow a garden tool and I told him that I’ve stopped drinking. He’s a binge drinker…works in public utilities and is on call once a month for 5 days, but on those off weekends, he binges with beer and Yager. We had talked a few weeks ago about my neuro symptoms and he started talking about panic attacks. So yesterday he started talking about the panic attacks and his drinking, but asked me not to go “All God like” on him. I said if he ever wanted to talk, I’d be there for him. He sent me an email apologizing for “taking my not drinking lightly” and offered 100% support.

Tonight I’m going to my sister’s house for my niece’s 10th birthday. She asked if I would be comfortable with beer and wine being served…I said I had no problems with that and I don’t. My mind is made up right now and this is how its going to be.

Everyone have a safe, sober and beautiful day.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:38 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SlimSlim View Post
Welcome, Destroyer

Just a couple of questions for you:

How long did it take for you to post here once you decided you wanted to cut alcohol completely?

When you were finally able to kick the habit with chewing tobacco, what was different for you that time?

I asked the first question, because there's a whole lot of inner dialogue going on during that time period. It seems that your inner dialogue has been pretty strong, because your looking to cut alcohol out of your life completely. Daunting? That all depends on how firm your resolve is and how much you listen to your inner voice as opposed to the addictive voice.

With the second question, this is for your reflection. You had success with breaking one addiction; use the same strategies that worked for you then to beat this addiction.

Again, welcome! There is a lot of support here.
Hi Slim - I went on a big european trip last month and it was 10 days of binging with friends. By the end of the trip I just wanted to be done with it. I vowed off drinking but only lasted 3 weeks. The first time I cracked was on a date with a girl last week, when we had a few glasses of wine. This past weekend it was 2 long nights of drinks and saki bombs. I didn't know this site existed until I did a search on Sunday for morning. Once I found it, I quickly signed up.

I think the thing that got me through chewing tobacco was a daily commitment of posting on the forum and having accountability instead of doing it on my own. I still crave it once in awhile but know that if I have "just one", I will soon be hooked again. I don't want to be a slave to that again, and that is what is keeping me from doing it again. I haven't touched it in about 2 years now.

It's slightly different in that I felt physically addicted to tobacco and would have bad withdrawls if I stopped for a few hours. I don't have that with alcohol...but once I have one, it really opens the door for getting out of control.

I think I'll need the most support on is figuring out how to stay social, while not drinking...both for my dating life and hanging out with my friends.

D
Old 08-06-2012, 10:46 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

DAY ONE for me!!!

This is my 3rd "day one" on here...but there have been TONS of "day one's" in the past. I just want to be DONE with alcohol and cigarettes. They are ruining my life!!! Smoking is not a problem unless I am drinking. They just go hand in hand with me. My kids have even told me to quit and they get mad at me if they see me with a beer or a cigarette. Last time I quit they were so happy, but then I started back and the looks on their faces just killed me. So, why is THAT not enough to make me stop???? It should be. I drink almost nightly, I may take 1-2 nights off during the week. My husband, he drinks too, but only one or two....I wish I could be like that but this demon of alcohol won't let me stop at one or two. Heck, I even have the next beer opened in ready before the last one is halfway done. What is wrong with me???

Okay, enough rambling....

So, class of August 2012.....COUNT ME IN!!!
Old 08-06-2012, 11:27 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Day 2 after a sputtering start that began a few weeks ago. Will go 4 or 5 days with moderate effort then find some ridiculous reason to drink (party, bad day, etc...). I'd really like to think I can "just cut back" but we all know that's a joke right? After being a pretty much daily drinker for years I should be pleased with some progress but I worry that as the week progresses I'll find another rationalization (house guests this weekend) and start the whole mess over again.

Anyway, here's to the class of 8/12!!! I look forward to this journey with all of you.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:40 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

day 5 & doing good. went to the grocery & stocked up on healthy food. i used to be so health conscious with food & exercise. quit smoking & lost & kept off 75lbs years ago. scared i will be gaining because i want to be eating all the time now. when drinking i may have just had lunch & nothing else many days. got some milk thistle & vitamins...i really want to do this
Old 08-06-2012, 02:28 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to Destroyer ForHim SheWanders and JWolf

Originally Posted by Tobo View Post
Dee, I have reviewed avrt and smart before, but I suppose it's time for me to take another look at them. Im off from work for most of the summer so I'm trying to stay busy. Just finished lifting at the gym and am about to go for a bike ride. I'm also training for my second marathon so I really need to stay focused. I ran 15 miles yesterday.

I just am getting way ahead of myself and worrying about quitting for good. When I really need to focus on today. I'm already bargaining with myself like "just have two beers and no hard booze" or "never drink more than 5 beers". But I've been telling myself these types of things for twenty years. Ugh!!

Plus I'm dealing with the depression and obsession of my recent breakup. This happens every time I lose a relationship. Why am I so fragile? Why can't I just man up?

I found when I broke through my fear of emotional pain, stayed sober & actually faced my feelings I was a lot stronger than I thought I was....I also dealt with things a lot more quickly.

I hope you'll find the same too Tobo

...and, in my opinion....no matter, what (if any) recovery programme you end up following, you need to accept there's no straddling the fence...any amount of alcohol can take us back to Ground Zero.

D
Old 08-06-2012, 02:49 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

I'm in. 2 days sober & praying I can do this. I have too much to lose not to.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:52 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome ca

D
Old 08-06-2012, 03:02 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

found this board today searching for a community of folks struggling...im in on this and hope we all can make this a sober august!! today is day one for me as I just seen this board and finally decided to do something about my drinking! so here it goes!
Old 08-06-2012, 03:03 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to you too Rally

D
Old 08-06-2012, 04:52 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Welcome ca and rally

I'm doing ok day two has been harder. I've been cleaning all day just so I can have that clean head space to make a change. But I've been really frustrated that it's been rainy today and my gym is closed to redo the floors. So I can't get done what I need to get done. I do ok as along as everything goes to plan and since it hasn't I really want to drink.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:07 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Trying again at getting sober. Ending day 1. I've somehow dug this hole again drinking everyday and spiraling down. I've been so bummed and want to be happy again. I can't seem to make it past a month but hopefully this time can be different.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:13 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Administrator

It can be if you make it different BF

Welcome back

D
Old 08-06-2012, 07:30 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Can someone please explain to me what exactly are these classes?
Old 08-06-2012, 07:35 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's a community thread for everyone who quit their drug of choice in August 2012

It's a place to hang with people at the same point in their recovery as you, and to get support and encouragement.

All you have to join is post

No rules - outside the usual SR rules

D
Old 08-06-2012, 07:39 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Then I join!

If I was able to stay sober the entire month of June,

I can do it again!