Notices

Class of July 2012 Part 3

Old 07-30-2012, 07:04 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Welcome WB! Sun is shining here also....

Ob... I agree with Dee... it's not about willpower. It's about accepting the fact that alcohol is poison to us and we don't need that in our bodies.... and we sure as heck don't need to kill anymore brain cells If we don't go near it, we don't have to feel sorry that we did... That's the way I got right before memorial day weekend. My fleshly nature wanted to rise up and drink in the worst way. What I need to do is stop the thought as soon as I know it's there. Saying 'I will not drink today. Alcohol is not a part of my life anymore. I'm am free from it's clutches and I will not return. Alcohol is not my friend. It is my enemy and I will fight it." That being said, we really do need each other for support (I have that independent streak also). And for me, realizing that I have God as my Higher Power to rescue me from those times of tempation and asking Him for help - and calling/texting friends - and talking with my therapist - and getting intensive prayer at church - and going to meetings.... that's what will keep me sober. It's like at the first thought of getting a drink, we suit up in armor with a big sword in our hands and stand steadfast against the urge.
As far as cleanses I use CleanseSmart - thirty days. Helps you to start eating right also. Matter of fact I may just do that to get my eating back on track.

Just my two-cents.... or maybe a dollar's worth.

Day 25.... Work called - I'm to only work on one project at a time. Yep they saw that I have a little much on my plate. Going to do a little work and then chill the rest of the day. Maybe get some sun.

jhe.... hope your arm heals quickly and sorry you had that experience in the gym... conquer the apprehension and go back

Emma... yeah that stinks about the pill thing.... broken trust takes time to earn back. Stay on the right track and they'll see that you're the real deal.

Have a marvellous Monday!
Old 07-30-2012, 07:05 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Oh, and Hi Eddie.... glad you're here and nice with the positive attitude
Old 07-30-2012, 08:29 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Congrats Me!
Obladi - you can do stubborn...that's what it takes to not drink.
JHE - Ouch and feel better soon. MAybe I should re-think the whole exercise thing
MTN - Liked the booiks, never saw the movies - but time with your kids, especially when you do something that shocks them like saying yes - priceless!
Dee - you words of wisdom and support are always so helpful
Have a good day everyone!
Old 07-30-2012, 08:58 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Location: Las Vegas, Nevada... Originally from Cincinnati, Ohio
30 days today... feeling great!
Old 07-30-2012, 11:19 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Obladi View Post
jhe, I am impressed that you were AT the gym. Hope your arm heals quickly.

ee, pleased to see you here. welcome.

MTN, thanks for the link. I have this sense that for me, perhaps absorbing or transforming the thought might be more effective than trying to stop or ignore it. There is an exercise in one of the ACT books that leads you through taking out something awful about yourself, examining it carefully, then accepting this "thing" back. It's a mindfulness technique and it's very powerful for me because it allows for compassion and acceptance. I wonder if perhaps I could use this approach to carefully separate the desire to drink and put it to rest. Sort of like, sitting shiva for the habit. Hope that offends no one - I am not using the notion lightly, but actually with great respect for a beautiful tradition.

Emma, that is irritating. As time goes by, their suspicion/cautiousness will wane. Don't let it get you down.

Sentso, I will try to keep coming here and writing it down. You will know for certain I'm doing well if I start flooding the board! MyTimeNow thinks she's wordy? ha! She's got nothin on me. I think it has to be about me and that feels incredibly selfish but hopefully something I say or do will help someone else in some small way.
Thanks Obladi-so much for good intentions,hey!

I hope you are being stubborn today and not giving in to the beast
Old 07-30-2012, 11:50 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Thanks for the good wishes everyone-it's just tissue damage but hurts like mad-there will be no numbing the pain with wine though

Good news re your bathroom MTN-hope you had a good child free weekend

Sorry to hear you slipped Obladi-stay strong and stay here

Congrats on 2 weeks Sentso,16 days TIG & 30 days Ampsmarie

Lovely thoughts and words-R4R

Welcome Eddie-I think we were in the Jan class together

Stay strong everyone.xx
Old 07-30-2012, 11:57 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

I'm good today. Feel deflated but not defeated. Middle girl and I will be laying tile in the basement, so that should keep me out of mischief.

Hugs all around.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:28 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations ampsmarie!

D
Old 07-30-2012, 02:43 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Sentso - you are amazing! Keep it up.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:46 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Day 19 and still the first thing I thought about when I got in the car after work, is having a drink. Actually had a good day, but as soon as I am in the car, that little AV sits on my shoulder and whispers sweet nothings in my ear.Just unbelievable! I don't know if these thoughts/cravings will ever go away! Good thing there is no scotch or vodka in the house
Old 07-30-2012, 02:51 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Hello everyone....
Congradulations Ampsmarie on your 30 days
Hi Eddie and welcome
I had a busy weekend with DH and had my DGD...so yesterday after I took her home I was really tired all day and some this morning but did my walk and feel better.
Hugs, Myjourney4me
Old 07-30-2012, 03:52 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
A girl can dream...

Hang in there, Katan!! Screw the little AV - you're doing great!!
Old 07-30-2012, 05:27 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had a really rough weekend...I'm getting extensive dental work done and that went a little awry...naturally no dentists were open...my physio programme is killing me...and the hot water system died - it's the middle of winter here...

sure...I was annoyed, I was a little overwhelmed and even a little panicked initially...but I never thought of drinking.

Honestly.
It really is possible guys

I just dealt with everything one bit at time - I've seen the dentist, tooth's good now, hot water system should be replaced today - and now to get back to the physio...

We drank for years - it will take a little time to learn a new way of living - but it happens.

Don't give up

D
Old 07-30-2012, 06:30 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
TiG

Dee: Very nice encouraging words, thank you.

Katan: One good thing is that you know your trigger and can prepare for it. Maybe place some symbol of strength in the car to look at and remind you of the good place you are headed to in the future?

MyJourney: Walks are good.

Obladi: Hope the tile job went OK and you feel better soon.

Amps: Great job on 30!

R4R: Sounds like you are finding a good place.

WhiskeyBent: Glad you're doing good.

Sentso: Glad you're feeling better too. Great job hanging tough.

Emma: Sorry you're the scape goat. You're doing much better for you. That's the important thing. The rest will come in time.

MTN: Thanks for the Stop Thought link. That was interesting to read.

Hello Eddie!

I'm doing good. Have a run night watching the Olympics everybody. If I had to guess, there will be swimming going on.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:35 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
A girl can dream...

Smile It is possible

Sorry to hear about your problems Dee but it does go to show it's possible to get through things without alcohol. Our shower plumbing broke yesterday, we had an ant infestation get into part of our house, then to add to it my hubby's sister sent photos of her wedding day on Saturday. We didn't know and were definitely not invited, as were not some other family members. We were all very hurt.

BUT, the pipe got fixed today, the ants got dealt with and I thought to myself am I really that disappointed in not being included in the wedding?? I really don't like my sister-in-law and I like her husband even less. You'd understand my feelings if you knew them.

Time to focus and care about the really important things in life. Thanks for sharing your woes and proving it can be done with booze.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:48 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Lifewithout booze - thanks for putting it all in perspective.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:32 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  
TiG

lifewithoutbooze: Wow, that's some real world stress. Good job making it through the weekend without drinking.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:35 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Katan... You ARE doing great. Just keep ignoring the 'monster'... each time you say no to it, the stronger you get. One bite at a time.... or day

Amps :ghug3 Well-done on the 30!!!!!!

My major problem seems to be my short-term memory. I don't know if the meds I'm on are causing it or the anxiety or what. All I know is that if I have to sit and think about something for very long my head gets all fuzzy.

Dee... you are an inspiration I had a couple days of feeling a bit of the urge... but I'm back to not wanting it at all. If there were no obstacles to overcome, we'd never get stronger... I suppose...

Closing day 25 with a Sleepytime Tea. Good night/day everyone!
Old 07-30-2012, 08:15 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Hi guys, I'm struggling to reply to everyone as I'm keeping myself busy with my daughter and heading back to work. I do however read along and am constantly inspired by your posts! Thank you all for the support you probably don't even reslise you give me!

Day 5 here - have a perforated ear drum at the moment ouchies! Can't take any painkillers due to breastfeeding so I just have to suck it up!

Quick question that have spiked my curiosity from another thread... Vanilla extract.. I use it in baking often and naive me didn't even know about the alcohol in it! Would you advise no longer using it?
Old 07-30-2012, 08:26 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Administrator

You'll get a lot of differying opinions.

I'm ambivalent on this one.

I lived with vanilla essence in my cupboard all through my drinking years. I never thought to drink it - the thought repels me.

I'm pretty careful with what I eat but I'm no baker...so I have no strong opinion on vanilla essence.

I like the odd vanilla slice tho, and that's never caused me any problems.

If you're worried it might be an issue for you tho, by all means take it seriously.

You can buy varieties with no alcohol in them tho BB...it's called imitation vanilla essence I think from memory...you can buy vanilla bean paste too - no alcohol in that

D