Notices

Class of July 2012 Part 3

Old 07-29-2012, 07:05 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

On my 7th day today. Got up at 6:30am which is unheard of for a Sunday. Usually, after a Saturday-night drinkfest, i'd be up no earlier than 10-11. Went for a 4 mile walk/run (recovering from a knee injury) and feel great. I'm in this with my wife, who has also decided to quit. We were quit the enabling team and I hope we'll be just as good at supporting each other during this time. Wish us luck!
Old 07-29-2012, 07:26 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I've been sober since July 10th. Overall I feel better physically and emotionally. The best thing is that I'm no longer so scared of getting serious alcohol-related health problems. Plus I've realized how out of control my life really was when I was still drinking. Like how I would spend all day looking forward to drinking and that was what got me through the day, or like I was so scared of messing up my stomach or liver and drank to "get rid" of those feelings of fear. I really sometimes thought I would have nothing to look forward to in life if I didn't drink, like my life would be over. Well I quit drinking, and my life isn't over.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:33 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Happy Sober Sunday (my second!). 14 days. Wow. Awesome changes since, feel/sleep/living better. This is wonderful. Stay with it everyone. I think this really is the way God intends for us to be.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:02 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
TiG

SBB: Great job! Keep fighting. I can't think of it as "forever" either. It's too much. Same reason I haven't openly said anything to my Wife and kids. It sounds like a promise not to drink, and that commitment is too unnerving for me. So, day by day is the plan. An interesting thing though, I have slowly adopted the reality that if I do have one drink, my intention would not be casual. A "clear and present danger" exists for me to dive into a barrel and get f$%# up as directly as possible. And, then I would have advanced my disease one more notch for the worse.

Baby steps. The theory is used with almost every great task. Think of Napoleon's "divide and conquer." He didn't take on the whole army, but separated and defeated regiments to win the war, like we do by focusing one day at a time. When engineers design a structure, it is impossible to marry all facets of weight and movement into one calculation. Just like it's impossible to plan the future of our lives any give day. Segmenting the mathematical analysis into types of stress is needed for the engineer same as we tackle each small challenge of our sobriety. We can't win the game in the first quarter, just have to play it out down by down.

That was fun to think about, thanks for reading : ) Sorry if it's preachy. Guess it helps me to ramble.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:07 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
TiG

Welcome Shoebox and Confuzd.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:29 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Forever vs. indefinite-interesting. I'm also not thinking forever because it is so overwhelming, indefinite seems more doable. I imagine for some it may be easier the other way around. Everyone is different in their approach but we all have SO much in common.

Enjoy your Sunday everyone, welcome to the newcomers-you'll like this class!
Old 07-29-2012, 10:25 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Wow some thought provoking and interesting posts, and not preachy at all Tig!

I was only going to post that Yay! I have FINALLY finished everything in my bathroom today!!! Haha I feel like the class halfwit but since I seemed to have started it circa 1903 I'm feeling a sense of achievement.

I was also thinking as I was doing that niggly bit of painting behind the toilet and the sink (that I was hoping the fairies would do) how I may not have conquered everything yet, but I no longer feel that sense of needing a reward i.e a drink. That would have always been my first thought and most probably I would have rewarded myself as I went a long i.e you've picked up a paintbrush, well done, have a glass of wine. It was a good job the kids weren't here though as there were some choice anglo saxon swear words to be heard whilst trying to line up an L shaped shower pole on my own for drilling. It's not entirely straight... I like to think of it as quirky.

On and on and on... *shut up*!

Welcome to Shoebox and Confuzd

Congrats on 14 days MtnSeer - Awesome indeed!

You too Sentso have a great night tonight, nothing to be scared of

24 is amazing R4R good for you!

And super well done you SBB that is an amazing thing to get through!

JHE - I reckon if there was a gym called Knackers Yard, I'd sign up like a shot! As it is... it's Virgin. Hmmmm.

Kids home, one asleep and one gone out. This week when I am close to losing it I shall remember that I've had 2 whole days to myself and make sure we have lots of productive things to be doing.

Enjoy the rest of Sunday everybody!
Old 07-29-2012, 11:23 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Happy Sunday!

Day 3! feeling good so far, and I already lost 5 pounds wow! and my blood pressure is down 30 points wow!! I really need to do this for my health!! We can all do it together! Class of July 2012 <3 <3
Old 07-29-2012, 11:33 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hello Everyone! Happy Sunday Funday! What is everyone doing to enjoy the day today? Normally I would be hungover, but not today.... Woohoo!!! So far its been a lazy day for me but I plan to get some exercise and get some chores done. Then, maybe some retail therapy later! ;-) I am diligently pushing thoughts of having a drink out of my mind. I have realized that I need to "unlike" all of the bars and beverage companies I have liked on facebook. Seeing posts about this drink or that drink is definitely NOT helping. Its definitely so much harder for me towards the end of the day..... That is when I am programmed to have a drink. This evening I am going to try and cope with my craving instead of taking it out on my BF which is totally unfair. Taking it one day at a time helps as I too cannot think of it as "forever". Okay, I feel like I am rambling... Thanks to all of you for your posts, I know we can do this!
Old 07-29-2012, 12:12 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

WELCOME APRIL AND CONFUZD!!!

CONGRATS TO EVERYONE ON YOUR MILESTONES!!!

Ok, ok, I'll quit yellling
Just ran/walked 5 miles. Too warm out... much better in the mornings...

Going to a step meeting tonight... still not sure about my sponsor - I don't know if it's good that we don't have a whole lot in common or if I need to search out a sponsor that I choose. The past two I asked the lead who would be available... so I wasn't really choosing them for myself.

I did have a revelation in church this morning... I realized that I'm just powerless over alcohol, I'm powerless over my whole life.

Anywho.... Have a great evening, night, or morning everyone! WE are amazing!
Old 07-29-2012, 01:00 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Hello all, and welcome to the newcomers, most of whom seem to be very well on their way. What a fabulously brilliant class I have found. Hope I can live up to you all.

MTN, huzzah on finishing the bathroom, even the bits behind the toilet! Definitely worth a reward of a healthy kind, like perhaps a long soak....

Smitty, I am so pleased for you. I don't know why I was so concerned, but I just really wanted this for you. I hope you are feeling extra muscles now where you didn't even know you had em.

So here's the thing, though. I drank.
I'm not sure why, but I think I'm getting closer to what "it" is and that bratty AV is not liking it. She would rather have me not think about anything, ever. Jerk. And just like the pushover I am, I rolled with it rather than even trying to put up a fight.

I feel like a hypocrite.

I am never ever ever ever giving up.
I like being sober.
I value being honest and having integrity.
I need help and I need to know how and when to ask for it.

Hope all you Julians are having a wonderful SOBER day.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:53 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Good job SBB, you should be really proud of yourself! I too wanted you to succeed and you did!

Obladi, sorry to hear that. Just go back on track quickly and keep posting here, really, and especially next time you're about to relapse! I enjoy being sober too, we can do this together.

R4R, 5 miles is good, that's my next goal, in a week or two!

TodayisGood, I don't feel like telling my friends and family I wanna quit for good. It makes me anxious to think about it as a "forever" thing, although I know deep inside it's the only solution. I still have these Samuel Jackson's helpful words on my mind:

"... every day you have to tell yourself, ‘you’re not well today’. To the point that I know I haven’t had a drink in twelve years but I can’t tell you exactly how many years, how many days, like some AA people. Because my whole thing is I know I didn’t have a drink yesterday and I hope I don’t have a drink today. As long as you have that understanding about yourself, you never get to that point where you say ‘I’m well, I’ve been for five years, I’m going to have a beer’. Because as soon as you have that one…"

Welcome Shoebox and Confuzd!

As for me, I did some good work today, but didn't see my friend in the end, and I'm now a bit sad like last night. Not unbearable though, but I don't even feel like playing my guitar like I usually do. It'll pass.

Not much to say tonight, just trying to keep in mind why I'm doing this and how good it is even though I don't feel so good.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:58 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Checking in... Yesterday was a struggle for me but on Monday morning I've woken up happy and alcohol free..

Day 4, here we gooooo
Old 07-29-2012, 04:35 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
kiddo

Well done on day 4 BB!

3 weeks yesterday for me, doing a little better than I was before because I'm heading back to school after the weekend and that always distracts me well enough.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:37 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to all the newcomers - and welcome back to those struggling

D
Old 07-29-2012, 04:42 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
A girl can dream...

Back on Track

Originally Posted by Obladi View Post
So here's the thing, though. I drank.
I'm not sure why, but I think I'm getting closer to what "it" is and that bratty AV is not liking it. She would rather have me not think about anything, ever. Jerk. And just like the pushover I am, I rolled with it rather than even trying to put up a fight.

I feel like a hypocrite.

I am never ever ever ever giving up.
I like being sober.
I value being honest and having integrity.
I need help and I need to know how and when to ask for it.
Hi Obladi,

I did it too on Wednesday - don't know why but I did it. Feel terrible now but realize I have to get back on track and keep fighting. Realized that if I had WIFI when I was out of town I probably wouldn't have done it because I would have been on SR posting or at least reading. Let's keep strong and fight this thing!
Old 07-29-2012, 05:35 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone,
Sorry I've missed the posts for the last couple of days. I am doing fine - just finishing day 18, and all is well in my world.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:36 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Thanks sentso and lwb.
The problem is that I snap in one second.
Or so it seems.
If I would stop. and. think. It might be ok.
But I don't.
Makes me question my commitment.

I am so very unaccustomed to setting my mind to something and failing.
You know what I mean?
Old 07-29-2012, 05:37 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Fantastic going, Katan!
Old 07-29-2012, 06:11 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Administrator

I used to snap in one second too obladi...I had to train myself to stop...and really think about what I was doing or wanted to do.

I can't recommend enough to everyone to use the support that's here...fight the urge to drink/drug

D

Last edited by Dee74; 07-29-2012 at 06:54 PM. Reason: clarity