Notices

Class of March 2012 Part 4

Old 07-04-2012, 11:59 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Random Guy

Thanks guys and perhaps I shouldn't be but I am a fairly secretive person (which seems to be a common trait with us) and am very leary of authority figures. I figured out a while ago that the less they know about my personal life the better off I am. This guy shouldn't even know my name and he is calling for me, makes me wonder... But either way I am trying not to stress it, as there is nothing I can do at the moment. other then wait for him to return my email or call again.

Thanks for the compliment there Hypo, I do understand the premise of AVRT, but putting it into practice is a little of a streach. Meaning that I understand how it is said to work, but I have my doubts and confusion on making it work for me. Still reading it again and will probably read it off and on a few times this month.

Jeni 40 days NICE, that calls for drum roll please..... Dancing Bananas!

That has become my mark of congrats on the good job! Hopefully work eases up a bit or you at least find a good way to blow off steam like Hypo by annoying neiborghs with loud music and heavy lifting haha.

Edit: forgot to mention so ends 48 hours of sober time I made it through the July 4th BBQ unscathed. Now my birthday looms just over the horizon.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:57 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

We took the bottom sets from our Year 11 (fifteen years old) to see a performance of Romeo and Juliet in a castle ruin last night. These kids haven't had much exposure to the fine arts - one of them asked me if it would be real people or a cartoon. Just a brilliant experience for them, and to be able to wonder round the ruins of a castle which for Henry VIII and Elizabeth I was second only to Hampton Castle.

To have these cynical, tough, streetwise kids get frothy over the idea of standing exactly where Henry VIII would have sat at banquet was just magical.

They wanted to know if it was okay to touch the stone walls or whether they would get in trouble.

One asked me if the coach would go on the motorway (freeway) because she hadn't been on a motorway since she was ten.

When we got right out in the sticks and passed an orchard of deer, one of my class went nuts - she'd never realised deer were real, and thought they were made up for Bambi.

Amazing, affirming experience all round. And, okay, two of them were sent home as soon as we got there for setting fire to one of the seats in the mini bus, but that's just a minor blip.

I don't miss booze today. Love you all.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:37 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Those kids sound ace Still! Glad you had a good time. It's weird, I think as adults we don't allow ourselves to get excited about stuff because we're all grown up and supposed to have seen everything. I'm going to see Shakespeare at an open air castle too and I'm excited about that because I've never been before. And I get excited about castles and stuff too x
Old 07-05-2012, 04:41 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Hey Hypo!

It may not shock you to know that I get excited a LOT haha! What are you going to see? Shakespeare outdoors is magical - as it gets dark the stage lights come up and it all takes on a dreamy kind of unreal quality. Amazing. And then bats start flitting around and stuff. Too cool...

xxx
Old 07-05-2012, 04:52 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stillsleeping View Post
It may not shock you to know that I get excited a LOT haha!
Haha x

I'm actually going to see Romeo and Juliet. It's probably the same company I'd imagine. Was it good? x
Old 07-05-2012, 09:09 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Random Guy

Originally Posted by stillsleeping View Post
When we got right out in the sticks and passed an orchard of deer, one of my class went nuts - she'd never realised deer were real, and thought they were made up for Bambi.
Couple of problems with this Stills... one; who the heck raises a kid that thinks Deer are just a make believe Disney animal? Maybe I am a little to country, but that just baffels me. Two; is it Orchard in england? Like that is the official title because we call them a herd. I just looked it up in Wikipedia and it does not mention Orchard and if it is in wikipedia it has to be true right? (dripping with sarcasm)

Just giving you a hard time. But seriously on the kid not thinking Deer exist that is just plain crazy talk, that girl needs to get a nature book or watch the discovery channel, something.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:44 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Hi INH Sorry, the orchard was referring to where the deer were standing. I should have said with. Damn phone-posting haha!

And it's not the girl, it's the district. A lot of the kids here can't get the Discovery channel, because they can't afford TV. They don't eat at night because mum's spent the social on booze or weed or heroin. They're beaten up and undermined and told they're stupid from birth. Nature books are a bit of a leap from there. So we work to plug the gaps, and to raise their self-esteem and expose them to varied experiences like the theatre, but it takes time.

The good thing is that past the streetwise bit on the outside, they're as curious and clever as any other kids, so they bombard us with questions. They're learning!

And Hypo it was okay. The setting was magical but the performance wasn't great, sorry! Mercutio was really good, but Juliet was a chore. Romeo was cool. Where are you seeing it? Even with a dull performance, that play is great, and as it gets dark outside, just brilliant. Let me know what you think? I want to see Henry V at the Globe this summer. Should be good...

xxx
Old 07-06-2012, 08:33 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Random Guy

WOW I retract any derogatory remarks I made... sorry, I didn't realize the situation they were in I guess. I was raised out in the boonies (i.e. very VERY rural) fishing, hiking, swimming in rivers, deer and stuff like that wasn't a special occaision it was a part of life that I took for granted. I plan on ending up that way eventually just haven't figured out where yet.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:10 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Hey that's cool You're right - the parents suck. Hopefully by the time these kids have kids they'll be a whole lot cooler, and slowly society improves haha! That's the plan, anyway...teachers look at the big picture

I love your idea of a plot of land in the country. Not for me - I live for bustle! but it must be a really cool image when you've spent so many years away from your own country, to have land of your own and grow crops or livestock. A real home. I hope you do it dude

xxx
Old 07-07-2012, 05:30 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Happy Saturday to all my friends. How's KaPuka, R4R, INH?
Are you all managing to keep moving forward?xxx
Old 07-07-2012, 03:14 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

How's you Jeni? Still crazy busy? x
Old 07-07-2012, 11:46 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Hi all still here, thx Jeni hope you are all going well?!
Old 07-08-2012, 10:21 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, I hope you're all having a good weekend.
I'm really strong in sobriety at the moment, no cravings or annoying whispers telling me to drink.
I really feel as though I'm changing and growing so much, and the only worries I have are leaving some aspects of my old life behind. My closest friend is married to an alcoholic, and has admitted she now worries that I will make judgements on his behaviour, and now that I'm sober will be less accepting. Probably true.
We are so close, they lived with us for a while when they were homeless and we've been on holidays etc.
I have realised this weekend the effects my being sober have on those around me. I'm so single minded and focused on not drinking, I never gave it much thought before.
Change can be harder on those closest than on ourselves I think!
Anyway, still going strong, and so is H, and that's the best news of all xx
Old 07-08-2012, 01:15 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Are they the same people you were talking about in your other thread Jeni?

I think I may be the opposite of you Jen, I think I worry about my effect on other people more than I do about myself.

To be honest I am not feeling strong in my sobriety at all. I am officially an emotional wreck. I fully expect ups and downs but I'm a bit worried that mine are a bit specific. I am fine when I can control my own environment but speaking to family spins me out big time. I feel very judged. I still think my mother is blaming herself and I think my sisters are judging me about it. And judging me on how I'm handling myself, isolating etc..but really If I'm out there I feel like I need to be prepared. There is a distinct possibility I'm being paranoid here, which just makes me feel a bit crazy, but I do feel like I need to defend myself sometimes. I feel like I'm just supposed to be okay now and feel guilty that I'm not and that I'm not being a social butterfly! You'd have thought I would have got past this stage by now.

I wish I hadn't told anyone about this now, but then I have no way of knowing if that would have made things better.

I have another big social/drinking occasion coming up which could be stressing me out a bit, maybe that's all it is.

I hope everyone else is chirpier than me
Old 07-08-2012, 10:09 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Lots of love and hugs sent your way Hypo xxxx
Old 07-09-2012, 07:36 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Random Guy

Hey all I had my B-day and made sure not to tell anyone about it haha. I don't like being the center of attention like that if I can avoid it. My Supervisor actually got a little PO'd when he found out because I hadn't said anything. Its nothing personal I don't even have it available to my friends on facebook and haven't really celebrated a B-day in years.

OH yeah I almost forgot! My vacation got approved I am going to go on Safari in Kenya for 12 days!
(who is awesome this guy)
Old 07-09-2012, 07:47 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

I guess we should feel honoured that you told us then INH

:day

How are you otherwise? How's the drinking front? x
Old 07-10-2012, 12:31 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Happy belated birthday INH. How are the rest of you guys?
I'm on day 47 and I relapsed on day 49 last time. My mind is really playing tricks on me, telling me I'm not going to make it to 50.
Doing my best to stay focused. I don't even crave a drink, yet have got this awful feeling it's inevitable I will. It's like it's pre-determined. I know that sounds ridiculous!
Old 07-11-2012, 06:44 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Hey guys! Just wanted to check in with all of you. I have not been on here much lately but am trying to reestablish my presence.

INH, so glad to see you back, brother! Sometimes we just need time to figure out when we are ready. Keep at it and keep posting.

Hypo--miss you! How are things going? I know what you mean about still feeling weird and out of sorts and wondering if you are crazy at times. I have accepted that I most certainly am. With acceptance comes growth, LOL. Keep the fight!

Jeni--I feel like we are sooo on the same page lately Keep strong. The emotions just come with the territory, and I believe, growth. I think that we have to face these emotions, even the painful ones, to move ahead. I see you and I doing this now.

Hope everyone is great. I promise to not be such a stranger.
Lee
Old 07-11-2012, 10:55 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Great to hear from you Lee! I don't stray far from SR! I think helping others and creating special bonds with people is helping so much in my recovery. I still have self-doubts, dreadful regrets and emotional stuff whizzing around, but I don't worry about sharing them. Being honest and open encourages others to do the same and I can always find someone to say the right thing at the right time to help me through it. The way I see it, it might just help someone else who is at the same point too!
Anyway, I'm off to an AA meeting tonight, going to try and sort out my troubled brain! I think I'm sort of sabotaging my own recovery which is ludicrous!
Love and hugs to all. Where's missfestival disappeared to ?!x