Notices

Class of June 2012 Part 2

Old 07-08-2012, 09:32 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Good morning Day 2. Glad to be back...
Old 07-08-2012, 10:51 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

day 36 for me. I survived a good bit this weekend. Thursday night I went out with friends to a local baseball game and managed very well at Thirsty Thursday at the stadium. All my friends drank and I drank a diet soda, and then water. It was really nice to see my friends again. No one said a word about me not drinking. It was a relief. Friday night I saw my nephew and saturday, I went to a cook out for my Dad who just got out of rehab on 7/6. We went swimming and ate. A few people drank, but we didn't. It was great to see him.

Today, just laying around catching up on here. Haven't been on since friday afternoon!
Old 07-08-2012, 11:05 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Day 2 nearly done...Ate like a beast again today and feeling really good...Still p1ssed off about my relapse but hey ho its done now....Looking forward to tomorrow as its gym day and i'm really gonna punish myself...Hope my fellow classmates are doing good...Take care all....Steve.....
Old 07-08-2012, 01:24 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Day 30 and change, depending one whether I count from my last drink or when the Ativan wore off

Have family in town, apologies for slacking on checking in. Glad to see you are all staying on the beam or getting right back on it!
Old 07-08-2012, 02:05 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by oinobares View Post
Day 30 and change, depending one whether I count from my last drink or when the Ativan wore off

Have family in town, apologies for slacking on checking in. Glad to see you are all staying on the beam or getting right back on it!
Good to see you back, oino. I was wondering how you're doing. Hope the visit's going well. Keep at it - you're doing great!
Old 07-08-2012, 03:10 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  

An answer for stomach problems

Spent a big chunk of yesterday at the closest hospital. No insurance, so I usually go to the cut-rate county facility. I was in bad shape, so opted for the closest private hospital ER and will likely be paying it off the rest of my life! Anyway, it was good to have a professional, thorough exam, loads of tests, etc., instead of the dismissive reassurance earlier in the week from the county gov't hospital, with no exam, that I'm just fine and come back in 6 months; just allow time for my body to adjust. Yesterday I had terrible pain and thought I was having a heart attack (i was with my dad when he had one and it seemed the same). Gallstones! Never would I have believed it could hurt that much. Sheesh! No wonder I've been having stomach issues since I quit. They advised surgery, but since I have no insurance I need to go back to county. I'll be surprised if they actually do anything. In any case, I'm very happy to know. I've read that many times attacks happen after a fatty meal, but I've totally changed my diet since quitting drinking, low-fat, lots of organic fruits and veggies, etc. I was told sometimes this happens after rapid weight loss, which I've had. I'm guessing it was a lifetime of NOT doing the right stuff and it'll take lots of time. Well, I know all this just strengthens my resolve to not drink again! Happy Sunday to all. Keep up your new lives.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:13 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome Gunner
glad you at least found out what the problem is fairenough

Sorry about the tennis Midton...

D
Old 07-09-2012, 12:26 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Day 16,

Was at a crossroads yesterday, literally, I had a choice while waiting at the traffic lights, head home or to the pub.

After gripping the wheel and sweating for a minute while the AV tried to do its worst, it was Green light and the safety of my home.

So happy I made the right choice.

Have a great day everyone.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:49 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Day 3 here for me...Just chucked a bacon and egg sandwich down my neck and slurping on a cup of tea...Off to take the wife shopping,then walk the dog and then it will be time to punish myself in the gym...Feeling good today....Well done jim on not listening to your AV,i wish i had done the same on friday.....Hope everyone else is rockin on...Take care...Steve....
Old 07-09-2012, 05:58 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  

failed

Argghhh--I gave in last night. I had 2 drinks and although I didn't even finish the second, I'm really mad at myself. I realized what a mistake it was halfway through the second, so that's why I didn't finish it, but damn!!!

This is so hard. But, no pity parties, I'm determined. I'm starting over and I am NOT going to let this stupid addiction win.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:53 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Well done for dropping Samwitch, that takes strength. Not sure I could have stopped if I took a drink. Good for you.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:56 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

Hi Everyone! Day 39 for me.
I just wanted to share a few observations that I have been noticing since I quit.
1) my level of anxiety and anger has gone way down. I had to watch the kids w/ my wife working on Saturday. They are 2 and 4. I went the whole day without much more than raising my voice to them when they weren't playing nice. When I would watch them a month or so ago, I literally would shake with anger from yelling at them every half hour on the hour. It almost seems like my kids are behaving better, but I know it is me and my calmer demeanor.
2) As I mentioned, my relationship with my wife has improved dramatically. Mostly in the last week or two. I notice since I have quit that I held so much anger and resentment against my wife. Much of it was for years. Now I start looking at some of these issues I have held against her and I swear they are so non consequential, yet it was ruining our relationship and I blamed her for it.
3) As mentioned in an earlier post, my self esteem is up. I literally was getting to the point where I didn't want to talk to anyone because I was always subconscious of my eyes being bloodshot or just not feeling like talking to someone because I was braindead from a night of drinking the night before.
4) my health seems to have improved. My liver pain is gone. Like everyone, I pray my body can recover from all the damage I have done to it over the years. Also, the AV really has calmed down and when it does talk to me, I quickly silence it by ignoring it.
Anyway, I just wanted to brief people on all of the positive things that have occurred in the last 39 days. Some of the emotional stuff took a month to even realize. I was so angry before and always blamed those around me for that anger. Now I see that the alcohol was responsible for much of it.
Midton, sorry to hear about the reaction to your wife's comment, but it does seem eerily similar to how I reacted to my wife and her comments often. Everything put me on edge. I think as we have more sober time in us, those comments will roll right off of us.
Congrats to Rebirthday, GSP, gunner1, Stevie, Live2, Oino. You're all doing great. Keep it up!
Jimuk, I have been at that same traffic light and always turned to the liquor store for a decade. Keep it up. I now pass my old liquor stores all the time and don't even think about stopping.
Great to hear that you have diagnosed your problem Fair. I'm sure that is a big relief to you although it'll be a painful few days till they pass.
Time to get back on the horse Samwitch. Good luck to you and hope to hear progress reports.
Again thanks Dee for moderating. You are a tremendous resource for us. Hope the back feels better.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:58 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Hi all, just checking in. I'm on day 28.

The weekend went by really fast and being sober has given me an abundance of energy. I worked on a project until 10:00 PM on Saturday and was able to help my son with some things. If I wasn't sober, I would have hit the bottle or glass of wine around 4-5 and the day would be finished. I would have had to tell my son some lie why I couldn't help him because I wouldn't be able to drive. It felt really good to be sober and alert instead of a slug on the couch by 7:00.

I'm on the road agian for a couple days and will drop in later. This time it will be easier to stay sober because I'm traveling with folks who don't typically drink.

Everyone take care and stay strong.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:20 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Good work, everyone!

Day 30 here -- wow, a whole month ago since I had my last drink. Though I've been here before on various other attempts at sobriety, the difference this time is I can clearly see the folly of picking up again. I was with some people on the lake this weekend, boat was stocked with beer, but it was just so easy to see the trouble of having one (2, 3, 4.... etc).

Today I am so so so glad I didn't do it.

I'm facing up to some of the "truth" of my life without alcohol -- relationship issues. At this point of 30 days, am I solid enough to start addressing the giant crap heap? I want mainly to focus on me, and my co-dependency / fear. I really appreciate the experiences of others here on SR; it's so good to know I'm not alone!
Old 07-09-2012, 11:57 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Day 3 almost done as i'll be off to my bed soon...Had another good day,ate well and totally destroyed myself in the gym,i know im gonna be sore tomorrow as im sore already...Gonna hit my AA meeting at 12 noon tomorrow and i need to confess about my slip on friday,hopefully they wont be too disappointed with me...Hope everyone else has had a good day and i'll check back in tomorrow...Take care all...Steve...
Old 07-09-2012, 01:16 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Day 3, so far so good. Still astonished at my slip last Friday...it was so STUPID...but reminded me how sneaky triggers can be. I've realized that the biggest one for me is being around my dad and his wife. He drinks heavily and she is an alcoholic going downhill fast...both elderly, both in heavy denial. I'm in a sticky situation because I'm a support person for them...but needing to distance myself to protect my own sobriety. Fortunately my stepbrother is in recovery and 8 years sober...we're going to meet on Wednesday to talk.

Kudos to everyone here...you're doing great. samwitch good for you for stopping yourself, and jimuk for making the "right" turn! I really appreciate the sympathetic ear here. And the wisdom.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:04 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SamanthaIam View Post
Good work, everyone!

Day 30 here -- wow, a whole month ago since I had my last drink. Though I've been here before on various other attempts at sobriety, the difference this time is I can clearly see the folly of picking up again. I was with some people on the lake this weekend, boat was stocked with beer, but it was just so easy to see the trouble of having one (2, 3, 4.... etc).

Today I am so so so glad I didn't do it.

I'm facing up to some of the "truth" of my life without alcohol -- relationship issues. At this point of 30 days, am I solid enough to start addressing the giant crap heap? I want mainly to focus on me, and my co-dependency / fear. I really appreciate the experiences of others here on SR; it's so good to know I'm not alone!

Great job on 30 days!! This is wonderful!!
Old 07-09-2012, 02:06 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Day 37-- Feeling TERRIBLE. Turns out the antibiotic that i'm on has Gluten in it. I have celiacs and i'm not have have Gluten AT ALL. I am getting more and more sick. It explains why i've been feeling SO SO bad. I'm literally posioning myself if I continue to take this medication. I thought I was over feeling sick =( I am not a happy camper about this. I'm waiting for a callback from my doctor to see if there is another med they can put me on.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:01 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jimuk View Post
Day 16,

Was at a crossroads yesterday, literally, I had a choice while waiting at the traffic lights, head home or to the pub.

After gripping the wheel and sweating for a minute while the AV tried to do its worst, it was Green light and the safety of my home.

So happy I made the right choice.

Have a great day everyone.
As hard as it might be at the time, and as right as going for a drink might feel I have never, ever regretted taking the "heading home" choice. I doubt anyone else as. As soon as we've made the decision and reach home we know we made the right choice. Our self-esteem gets a shot and our AV gets weaker as we learn how to deal with it better ie ignore it.

The one think I always remind myself is that when the AV comes shouting/whispering is that time always helps. Just wait and it will go away. it never fails.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:03 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by duane1 View Post
Hi Everyone! Day 39 for me.
I just wanted to share a few observations that I have been noticing since I quit.
1) my level of anxiety and anger has gone way down. I had to watch the kids w/ my wife working on Saturday. They are 2 and 4. I went the whole day without much more than raising my voice to them when they weren't playing nice. When I would watch them a month or so ago, I literally would shake with anger from yelling at them every half hour on the hour. It almost seems like my kids are behaving better, but I know it is me and my calmer demeanor.
2) As I mentioned, my relationship with my wife has improved dramatically. Mostly in the last week or two. I notice since I have quit that I held so much anger and resentment against my wife. Much of it was for years. Now I start looking at some of these issues I have held against her and I swear they are so non consequential, yet it was ruining our relationship and I blamed her for it.
3) As mentioned in an earlier post, my self esteem is up. I literally was getting to the point where I didn't want to talk to anyone because I was always subconscious of my eyes being bloodshot or just not feeling like talking to someone because I was braindead from a night of drinking the night before.
4) my health seems to have improved. My liver pain is gone. Like everyone, I pray my body can recover from all the damage I have done to it over the years. Also, the AV really has calmed down and when it does talk to me, I quickly silence it by ignoring it.
Anyway, I just wanted to brief people on all of the positive things that have occurred in the last 39 days. Some of the emotional stuff took a month to even realize. I was so angry before and always blamed those around me for that anger. Now I see that the alcohol was responsible for much of it.
Midton, sorry to hear about the reaction to your wife's comment, but it does seem eerily similar to how I reacted to my wife and her comments often. Everything put me on edge. I think as we have more sober time in us, those comments will roll right off of us.
Congrats to Rebirthday, GSP, gunner1, Stevie, Live2, Oino. You're all doing great. Keep it up!
Jimuk, I have been at that same traffic light and always turned to the liquor store for a decade. Keep it up. I now pass my old liquor stores all the time and don't even think about stopping.
Great to hear that you have diagnosed your problem Fair. I'm sure that is a big relief to you although it'll be a painful few days till they pass.
Time to get back on the horse Samwitch. Good luck to you and hope to hear progress reports.
Again thanks Dee for moderating. You are a tremendous resource for us. Hope the back feels better.
I'm on day 31. But have been as far as 100 days in the past 3 years. There is so much I like and agree with about this post. Every day sober brings improvements, sometimes big and sometimes small but improvements none-the-less.