Notices

Class of May 2012 pt 5

Old 06-17-2012, 06:10 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  
Sober Mammoth!

Originally Posted by Payton View Post
I laughed out loud for real.

We went out for sushi with husband and our visiting friends. It was a good time - the baby was wild and being a ham so that was eventful, but I love every moment with her.
Hey, Payton. You sound sooooo much better today! I can breathe a sigh of relief now that you're back with us. How wonderful that you had a good time with your family and friends. Glad you got a laugh over the slapdown, too.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:17 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Thank you so much. Everyone has been so kind to me. I was very afraid to come back here, but I really care about all of you too much to stay away. It hasn't been that long but i feel like we are a family. Everyone here means a lot to me. I am so grateful for all of you!
Old 06-17-2012, 07:15 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Luling View Post
I'm glad you're back, crew. Sometimes that beast wins the battle, but you'll win the war.

Happy Father's Day! Have a good time with your noisy hooligans today. My noisy hooligans and I are taking my husband out to lunch here shortly. Have fun today!

P.S. Did you dump the rest of the whiskey? Edit: I meant to say tequila.
Thank you, Luling. Yep. I dumped it. And the unopened bottle of wine. I had a great day with my little noise-makers and just dropped them off at their mom's house. I'm home relaxing and catching up on the U.S. Open. I'm feeling good about immediately back in the May station wagon of sobriety. But I'm a little more guarded and going to work harder to protect myself from those trigger happy events.

Thank everybody for all your support. We can do this.

Lots of love to all of you.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:28 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  
Sober Mammoth!

Originally Posted by crewisms View Post
Thank you, Luling. Yep. I dumped it. And the unopened bottle of wine. I had a great day with my little noise-makers and just dropped them off at their mom's house. I'm home relaxing and catching up on the U.S. Open. I'm feeling good about immediately back in the May station wagon of sobriety. But I'm a little more guarded and going to work harder to protect myself from those trigger happy events.

Thank everybody for all your support. We can do this.

Lots of love to all of you.
Good deal, sobermate. Keep on truckin'.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:38 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Way to go Crew! So glad you got right back in.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:47 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Crew, that is wonderful! It's going to feel good to wake up to a sober morning tomorrow.

Bob/IW2, how are you feeling at home?

Lee, I'm so sorry that your inlaws were so awful. I'm glad your wife is so supportive. Good for you for telling them to stick it. You are going to be successful! And you are right - everything you said about my slip.

GingerBeer, how are you doing?

Jeni, how are you?

Deserto, how are you friend?

Dee, it's so nice to see your posts. I missed you for the couple of days you were gone.

I'm going to bed early. Can't wait to wake up tomorrow.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:19 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

FP - that was BRILLIANT!!!!

I'm keeping that rap-rhyme. I cut and pasted it into Word.

I scrolled back up to read it again and just noticed the introduction. Hilarious!
Old 06-17-2012, 09:34 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Wow -- staying sober is so much easier when there's no beer or wine in the house. Go figure. I don't think I would have been tempted anyway, but when I'm not having to watch someone drink it, I think about it a lot less. (Just call me Captain Obvious.)

Father's Day was nice. We took my husband out for lunch and pretty much took it easy around the house. Then I cooked white chili for dinner at his special request, which came out great.

I'm really missing my own dad today. He's been gone 10 years this month. It mostly gets easier over time, except for those days when it doesn't.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:48 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Hi guys, going through a stressful time at work at the moment, which is my biggest trigger. Nothing like a couple of vodkas to calm me.....except I don't drink....
I've taken today off work to catch up with paperwork which is mounting up and I'm seriously behind. I need a bit of breathing space and to avoid meltdown.
I will be ok, but old habits die hard. It was work which caused my last relapse and I'm never going back there again!!
Old 06-17-2012, 11:53 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FrenchPink View Post
My Lamborghini's slammin', my tusks be solid gold.
West Side, your Homie needs a doctor; Mammoth knocked him out cold.

School ain't helpin' Dweller 'cuz his rap's too lame to fix.
Righteous props to Mammoth on this Day 36.

Nicely done, FP! Now quit doing the victory lap and hand the Big Dawg the microphone.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:03 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

I can't sleep ... It's about 2:00 a.m. and I'm bouncing off the walls, getting frustrated because I have to get up in 3 hours. I've watched everything on tv, finished my book, and I've surfed the ENTIRE internet. I wish I could go run ...

I think tomorrow I'm going to have to cut out all caffeine to see if that helps. This makes me sad; I really like my coffee.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:41 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Hi folks, day 15. A little tired. Still in bed when they came to get Mum up. The last time I looked at my clock it was 7am. Must have nodded off again.
Other than that, Catherine must be sleeping in this morning, for once. Which is nice.
Have a good day folks. And hang in there, because you're worth it.

Luling - I know what you mean. It was six years ago thst my Dad died. I seem to remember it as having been on Good Friday, but I may be wrong about that.

jeni - hope things get better at work soon.

FP - you always bring me a smile. Thanks

Payton - we're glad to have you here. :ghug3
Old 06-18-2012, 05:23 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Doing well

I really appreciate everyone's concern. Today is the last day on home bound IV's for antibiotics. I begin oral antibiotics tomorrow. I am really getting tired of having this picc in my arm for the IV's.

I made it through the weekend unscathed, although it was not easy. I live near an Air Force base that has an air show every year. Always one of the highlights of my year. In the past I would ride my bike by the runway, armed witha six pack of beer to watch either the Blue Angels or the Thunderbirds. Not this year. And you know what, I completely enjoyed it (even rememberd it). As I rode my bike I saw several people drinking and had brief thoughts of how lucky those people were that they were able to drink. Then then my thoughts changed to, ok it is 4 in the afternoon, they had several drinks and now what. In my past it meant that I would continue for the rest of the day. Bottom line is that by changing how I viewed things changed the way how I felt. It felt good.

My second challenge was Fathers day. It was a beautiful day and my favorite meal in the summer is surf and turf, lobster and steak. I had the fire going, torches going and the music playing. Again my thoughts turned to how great it would be if I could have a few beers. It did not help that my wife already had a few hard lemonades and a few rum and cokes. I worked on my thoughts again and was to turn them to that if I was drinking, I probably would drink myself to the point of not even remembering the meal and the atmosphere. I ended up having a very enjoyable evening and while the thoughts of drinking did occur I feel that was successful in redirecting them.

Anyway, enough of my rambling. It is a pleasure to be in this class. It is a struggle and may always be but I feel the end result is worth it. If for whatever reason we tend to slip, alway we need to do is get back on that horse and try again. Better to try and slip then to not try at all.

Have a great sober day and a great sober week.

God Bless.:ghug3
Old 06-18-2012, 07:00 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Morning all!
Emily great job on 15 days!
Iwant- really great job redirecting the desires to drink and playing it through
Everyone who jumped back in- great job
Jeni- I completely understand about work driving you to drink. When I have tried quitting in the past, I would always try to say "Don't let work affect you so much that you drink because of it. But I would and those first couple drinks were always fabulous. So I was thinking work was causing me to chill out with the first few enjoyable drinks. Why would that deter me? But lately, I've been playing it through realizing I wouldn't stop at just those few, and I may get emotional or reckless, and wake up full of regret, headache, and nausea. Now I say "Don't let work cause you to become emotional or reckless, and wake up full of regret, headache, and nausea." Much more effective. I do the same when someone at work or someone on the road drives me nuts. Make myself realize I would be giving them power to cause me the crappy end result of drinking. They're not worth it. I definitely had a twinge of cravings and AV overload when I hurt my finger. And I almost screamed out loud at my AV, "How dare you try to take advantage of me while I'm vulnerable?! HeII no, I'm not listening to you!!" Whooo, it was wounded. Haha.

Anyways, I have officially made it through 4 full weeks. 4 full weekends. I am on day 29. I still remember sitting in this same spot 4 Mondays ago, reading everyone's posts and realizing I had to do something different than my feeble attempts. Hearing people having the same struggles and other people having success with sobriety and enjoying it really motivated me. I am enjoying this ride with all of you.
Yesterday I went to a Christening of a child of a good friend, who I had a fallout with 2 years ago. We reconnected 1 year ago, and although I don't think it will ever be the same, things are really great between us. But, and I didn't even consider this, when I showed up, I felt dread at what she has told her family about where I disappeared to for a year. Surely she must have recanted her side of our fallout with close family members. And then there was the other friend. The one she'd always had on and off throughout our childhood, teens, early twenties. They have much more in common now as they both have children, and seem to be really close. My friend and her own mother were more than welcoming and appreciative, and everyone was very cordial, but I just did not feel like I belonged there. With my social anxiety being one of the bigger reasons for my drinking, and this being an unexpected uncomfortable situation, it was a miracle I made it to 29 days today. I only stayed for an hour. Luckily there was no alcohol at this party, and on the way home, Hubby wanted to do some errands- not involving alcohol suppliers, and we stopped for ice cream. By the time I got home, I had already replayed everything in my head a million times and was mostly satisfied with how I interacted.

This weekend is going to be difficult. My brother is coming for the weekend. He's my drinking buddy, although we often argue when we drink. I don't see him often, now that he lives a few states away. So I don't want to not go out with him because he may drink while we're out. I don't want to waste the precious time we have together. although I basically did that every other time we've been together by drinking. He knows I'm not drinking but I think he thinks it's an experiment. And I don't know if he would spend a whole weekend not drinking with me. He likes to meet up with his friends who still live here and they like to go out and drink. So I usually tag along to spend more time with him but always end up drinking. I know, if he's my brother and he wants to spend time with me and support me, he should be ok with me not drinking and maybe not drink himself to show support or something. But I'm horrified he won't and I'll feel rejected. I know it's important to take one day at a time, but it is important to plan for tough situations coming up so I don't feel blindsided like I did at the Christening. Sigh.

Does anyone ever worry that they say too many identifiable things in their posts and somehow someone you know will recognize it's you? Clearly I do because I'm asking. But then again, I worry about everything so... ugh.

Have a good sober day everyone. any advice would be appreciated.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:08 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OneLessLonely View Post
Does anyone ever worry that they say too many identifiable things in their posts and somehow someone you know will recognize it's you? Clearly I do because I'm asking. But then again, I worry about everything so... ugh.
Yes! I'm glad I'm not the only one. I think the odds are minuscule though, so I kind of push that concern aside. Anyway, what's the worst that could happen? (Did I just jinx myself? I hope not ... )

I bet you'll have a wonderful time with your brother. Just stay strong and don't get sucked into any situations where the temptation is going to be too much to bear.

edited because I used the wrong bare/bear homonym.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:14 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

IW2 -- glad you're doing well. Good job making it through the weekend! You're doing great!
Old 06-18-2012, 07:15 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Good Morning Sobermates!

Jeni26 - don't cave in to the Beast. Keep your guard up. I found something that shuts his voice out (at least temporarily). I know it sounds silly, but try some warm milk with Ovaltine. It's such a goofy choice of beverages that it seems to derail the AV. My AV is like "WTF, Ovaltine?" Maybe it's the sugar in the Ovaltine, who knows. (Plus - you'll be getting vitamins. Wee hoo!).

IW2 - Really, really proud of you Bob!

To everyone else in this glorious class of May, HAVE A GREAT DAY!!!!
Old 06-18-2012, 07:21 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ThursdayNight View Post
Good Morning Sobermates!
Jeni26 - don't cave in to the Beast. Keep your guard up. I found something that shuts his voice out (at least temporarily). I know it sounds silly, but try some warm milk with Ovaltine. It's such a goofy choice of beverages that it seems to derail the AV. My AV is like "WTF, Ovaltine?" Maybe it's the sugar in the Ovaltine, who knows. (Plus - you'll be getting vitamins. Wee hoo!).
You are so right. For me, it's unsweetened almond milk with chocolate protein powder. It tastes 100 X better than it sounds, it fits in with my dietary plan, and my AV is thrown for a loop.

If this doesn't do it, I'll break out the emergency Nutella. Not part of the dietary plan, but sometimes you do what you have to do.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:26 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ThursdayNight View Post
My AV is like "WTF, Ovaltine?"
Hahahaha! Best. line. ever.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:33 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Hey all, off to SLC for a business trip for the next two days, so might not be able to post much.

FP, enjoy the respite. Oh, and you missed a spot when you put that gold nail polish on your tusks