Old 06-13-2012, 10:55 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FrenchPink View Post
A war of words, or duel of fools?
To progress in this brawl, we must follow a few rules:
Somebody's been watching 8 Mile
Old 06-14-2012, 12:42 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Well, day 11. Got to take mum to two appointments today, the eye hospital this morning, and the doctors this afternoon. Alas, this means I need to ring the doctor's tomorrow for an appointment, as I can't go today
Feeling more... relaxed than yesterday, but... well, we'll see how things go. Taking mum to her appointments has been really stressful in the past. Then again, sometimes it hasn't. Hopefully this will be two of those times
Have a good day everyone. And don't forget, you're worth it.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:02 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  

28 days. 4 weeks. Awesome. Couldn't sleep again last night. Strictly no caffeine in the evening now! I've started eating a lot more. But, I've also started losing weight again. Go figure! I can't wait to start exercising. I'm starting to see bits of muscle and bone where the fat has started to melt. Excited haha. When I say eating more. I'm bloody ravenous! Oh it's 9 days off the cigarettes and I'm using an electronic cigarette, which is a great subsitute and a lot cheaper but I'm not convinced it's entirely safe so I'm going to try and stop using it as soon as possible. I tend to wheeze after using it and I'm getting a sort of hollow chesty cough if that makes any sense, almost retching this morning too. Bad times. Hey ho, still better than cancer sticks. Gonna go see my girl tonight haven't seen her in aaaagess. Probably take in a movie. That's enough for now I need food. Lots.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:02 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kittycat3 View Post
Hi everyone, I went to dinner with work collegues, they poured me a glass of wine, and I kept drinking it. XO
And you did the right thing by jumping right back on SR and fessing up! We're here to support you 24/7 and we'll keep you on the wagon as long as we can assist!

For me learning to be sober requires a new plan for every situation I could be put into...including going out with coworkers, which we do, but not often, and not since I quit (6 weeks 3 days!). I've managed to stay out of bars for the sake of hanging out in bars out of boredom, but the deliberate "let's go out as friends and socialize" hasn't come around yet. When it does, I'll tell them I'm on a health kick and can't go eat gobs of food/drink. For now, I just think I'm too weak to go watch other people drink.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:03 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Saskia View Post
Hi KittyCat3, I spent over a month promising myself I'd quit the next day and then still have a glass of wine or two (or three). I felt awful about it. I was finally able to stop when I started accepting that I am an alcoholic and I will never be able to have a "social drink". It's hard, but true. So I'm working on it everyday.

You can bounce back from this!:ghug3
YAY Saskia! I'm so glad you've found your strength!
Old 06-14-2012, 03:08 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Payton View Post

I disagree, I think experiments like "squirty" get extra credit!
I too awarded bonus points for 'squirty'.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:29 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Welcome back Seahorse! You're experienceing double duty sobriety and I'm so happy you were able to get some time away at the right place to focus on it! You've got to feel like a completely new person.

Payton I'm so sorry to hear about your loss and so grateful for the little girl you have now. I simply cannot imagine the inner strength it took, and still takes to move forward as you have. While I have a stepson, I don't have any children of my own because I was always too drunk and irresponsible to have them, and now I'm too old. Regrets? Absolutely. I wish I'd had the clarity of mind when I met my husband at 33 to get sober and make myself three or four babies. Kiss that little girl for me!

All--I've been in kind of a funk since my ex hung himself a week and a few days ago, which is understandable. And I've managed to get through it without one drop of alcohol. Things have been tough all around for this sober girl...got city inspectors on my back about my house so I've been painting 24/7 when not at work, and found out yesterday I don't quality for a home refi loan (too much debt) AFTER I prequalified and filled out 200 pages of paperwork. Total bummer, because I would have gone from a 30 to a 15 year loan, made the same mortgage payment and saved 70 grand over the course of the loan. Eesh. Perhaps it was meant to be. I'm trying to look at the bright side....this gives me time to complete my house, pay down my debt and repair my credit if I give it a year or so and reapply for a loan.

I've also noticed that I'm sort of letting things go around me in the past week...house is a mess...I'm eating crap....sleeping late....not taking prescriptions as I should...which is BAD NEWS. This could be the slippery slope back through the front door of the bar. SO ladies and gentlemen, time to clean up, get back on track and move forward. It's not like getting drunk would help me at all right now anyway.

Thank you for listening and being here!
Old 06-14-2012, 03:31 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Quick post to say that I survived last night. Heading out for a run now, later!
Old 06-14-2012, 04:19 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Good Morning All,

I would just like to say that there is an amazing amount of strength and courage in this class. 2Magnolias, payton, deserto, Iwant2 that are doing through incredibly stressful events in their lives, but still staying sober. That is so inspirational Grief for me is a emotion that at this point in early sobriety I cannot even fathom getting through. So, Deserto and 2Magnolias are really role models in that regard. Congratulations 2Magnolias for over six weeks of sobriety. That is wonderful! Wishing everyone a good day
Old 06-14-2012, 04:39 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  
Sober Mammoth!

Good Thursday morning, Class of May boaters! I hope all of you are doing well. Another long workday ahead with another early start. Looking forward to resting on the weekend. Yawn...zzzzzzzzzzzz.... Wake up! Guzzle that coffee and submit this post, French Punk.

Reading, writing, laughing with my lively sobermates.
Love the strong support that our Class communicates.
To keep the mind occupied is surely a key
in staying sober to welcome this Day 33.

Payton: CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR 30 DAYS!!!

Flicked: Please send us a post, buddy. Let us know that you're alright.

Dweller: 8 Mile? Haven't seen it, but I'm guessing it's that old Eminem movie. I'll check it out, thorn-pulling mate.

2Mags: Thanks for posting your update. You're in my thoughts. Hugs for you, lady.

Luling: Great work in staying strong last night. Big thumbs up for you.

Finding Soleil: What's new with you lately? How are things going?

Super-Crew: How about you, buddy? What's new? How are you doing in sobriety?

Have a terrific day, everyone. Elephant hugs and love to all. Gotta dash, but I'll talk with you again in the evening.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:27 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Hey, has anyone heard from flickedhisbic?

Day 42. The days are flying by now in sobriety. I suppose it is because I do not have to count each one and desperately cling to each sober moment. Now I am getting to ENJOY each sober moment but focus on other things as well. Still having "memory floods", which I refer to as memories that were forgotten or repressed from my past. Some are bad, some are good, others are just random.

2M--So sorry for all of your stress. It sounds like you are handling it well. The sleeping late, etc is probably some very real mild depression over your ex and your house stresses, but you are handling things well. Sometimes I think it is normal just to feel these emotions, but not let them go to long. I always watch it with my sleep, etc. My mom never drank alcohol but was a very depressed person. I really watch for that in my life even though I'm not depressed, because my mom was so unhappy and she was 100% sober. I wish she would have been willing to address her depression, but she was old school and saw that as a sign of weakness, which is a real shame.

Payton, thank you for sharing so deeply. We all have been through a lot, and it is really coming out now. It is not a mystery, folks, why we have all been drinkers. But something within us has decided to quit this lifestyle and I feel like we are all in this life raft together. We are, indeed, a very strong class and I value each and every one of you!
Lee
Old 06-14-2012, 06:35 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  

You've just made me think there leemzer. I used to loathe the evenings so boring and lonely. but now I don't want to go to bed - I'm enjoying being sober and finding fun things to do. Whereas before I'd tried to get intoxicated as quickly as possible so I could be unconscious for 12 hours. Even though I'm probably only getting about 4 hours sleep now! What a waste of time being drunk is!
Old 06-14-2012, 07:15 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Give us this day our daily thread....

Good Morning Breakfast Club,

Not much time to write this morning, so I just wanted to post a quick note about the power of "WE" (from a book I am reading).

"One of the most significant words in Step One is we. We come together because of a common problem, and in the coming together we find a common solution. We is a significant part of recovery. A shared experience, a shared strength - stronger for the sharing. A shared hope for better lives and relationships."

Affirmation: "Today I will be grateful for the many people across the world who call themselves 'recovering alcoholics'. Help me know that each time one of us takes a step forward, we pull the entire group forward."

Okay - gotta get ready for work. I'll put you all in my back pocket as I head out the door so you can be with me in spirit throughout my sober day.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:24 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Two nights ago the perfect storm formed to lay the foundation to take my first drink in nearly three weeks. My best friend flew in from his overseas home. One of my closest friends arrived from the east coast. We went golfing in the afternoon and had an impromptu mini-reunion with a few other friends that evening. Whenever this group got together in the past we consumed copious quantities of the dreaded ethanol in all its variations. Last night was no different.

Someone in the group noticed I was drinking a special brew of tonic water with a wedge of lime (on the rocks) and asked me why I wasn’t drinking. I told the small crowd the truth. I told them I upped my self-prescription of alcohol and started drinking a lot to suppress the pain of going through a horrendous divorce. I told them I used alcohol to mask the pain of a series of horrible life events, and that it quickly progressed to an unmanageable state. I recognized that and chose to quit.

In an instant, ‘twas like the Night before Christmas… “and all through the house, not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse.” All eyes were fixed on me. The table, if not the entire bar, was quiet. The silence was broken when another friend said, “Way cool, man. I quit smoking pot three months ago.” Seconds later the noise resumed and everyone went back to the business of catching up on old times.

I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t tempted to drink, but not at the bar with my friends. Right before I went to the bar the beast was yakking in my ear and I was tempted to buy and chug a bottle of wine, but I had done something a few hours earlier to avoid that, as well as any temptation to drink with my friends at the bar.

Earlier in the day during my golf outing with my best friend I told him the deeper story of my alcoholism. He got it. He understood. I knew he would and that, if necessary, he would help me stay sober that evening. His help wasn’t needed that evening, but laying my story out for him made it much easier to make it through the evening.

This wasn’t some self-test for me. I don’t dare test my greatest weakness. Not now. Not so early in sobriety. I’d fail miserably. It was a spontaneous event that I survived, but only because I happened to share my story with my closest friend prior to the event.

This beautiful Class of May is my security blanket for sobriety. I feel your pain in the stories you share and your joy of all the big and little victories. Every day. I love you all.

On to day 21 for this guy, with this "supercrew" of a class :-)
Old 06-14-2012, 07:39 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Woohoo go Crew! I declined an invitation to a beer festival on Saturday. I think my AV wanted me to go. Why would I go to a beer festival, I don't drink beer.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:43 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Crewisms wrote: "This beautiful Class of May is my security blanket for sobriety. I feel your pain in the stories you share and your joy of all the big and little victories. Every day. I love you all."
--------------------------------------------------

I can't imagine saying it better than that! I read every one of everyone's posts and feel your joys and pain along with you. I'm sneaking a peak at the forum while at work because I will really miss all of you friends when I'm away. I'm hoping I'll be able to get computer access but that's uncertain.

Day 3 for me and I'm so delighted to be sober - it feels great!
Old 06-14-2012, 07:45 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Cool well done Saskia!
Old 06-14-2012, 08:23 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  

French Punk! That may be your typo -- but I'll take it
and I'll twist it and I'll flip it and I'll show you how I make it
into your demise, I hear your sighs, there's no compromise
see the surprise widen in 20 pairs of puppy dog eyes.
'Cause I got my Crew -- his name is isms, he's cool.
He'll show you how to stay sober, man he'll take you to school.
C'mon and lift your trunk, Punk, though your poetry's sunk
I'm not gonna listen to you blame your funk on the fact you ain't drunk.
Your rhymes are chaotic, nothing symbiotic, pachyderm's psychotic
when the mammoth thinks he can stomp around on this crypto-biotic.
Go rent yourself 8 mile, feel bent, you'll feel the bile
when you realize your rhymes match modern times like argyle.
So that's my round, FP, how's it feel to be a squeegee?
Nuts in your mind, not my palm, if you think you can beat me.
Remember this day, it was Day Thirty Four
When I took your puny mammoth challenge and I mopped up the floor.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:42 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

^^ Wow, argyle and squeegee! Impressed!

Good morning friends! DAY 30!!!! I cannot believe I made it 30 days without alcohol. I feel really good. I have more clarity, feel better physically, do not have any regrets or shame, my marriage is better - I mean just about everything is better.

I LOVE YOU ALL. I mean it. I would never have gotten through these last 30 days without your companionship and everything it has brought to my life. I find myself thinking about all of you throughout my day. I am so grateful for you.

Hugs to all of you who are struggling right now and kudos to everyone's victories, big and small.

I just want you to all know how much you mean to me. I hope that in 3,030 days I'm still here sharing life with you guys.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:44 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Congrats on 30 Days Payton! It's been amazing to follow your journey and your incredible triumphs along the way!