Notices

Class of May 2012 pt 3

Old 05-29-2012, 09:33 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Def. looking into yoga......hadn't considered it.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:44 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GingerBeer View Post
Hey Crewisms Congrats on day 5!

Nice to have a fellow Oregonian on here, as well as its nice to have a clear day again to see the mountains from here in Portland (for the rest of you we've had a run of dark rainy days over the last 2-weeks)

Isn't it great to be enjoying your kids and the rest of our world with a clear head?

GingerBeer
Thanks, Gingerbeer. It certainly is! Looks like we are in for a string of good weather. On to Day 6 :-)
Old 05-29-2012, 09:51 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Morning everyone!
Guess there must be lots of people from the US on this thread as when I went to bed we were on the first page, and have now jumped to day 3!!
Lovely and sunny here in England. I'm on day 5, happy and positive and looking forward rather than backwards.
So happy to have all our new friends join us in sobriety. Lots of love to you all xx
Old 05-29-2012, 10:00 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
MINEr

Originally Posted by Saskia View Post
Glad you're here! This is only my second day.
One year ago exactly it was my second day too, it is possible, and life is wonderful, just work a good program. Good luck to the class of May!!!
Old 05-29-2012, 10:35 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

I am so grateful to share this journey with all of you. Thank you.

P.S. I'm sober as I post this, so it's genuine, not my typical late night drunken blather that I try and remember and regret the next morning. Yay!
Old 05-30-2012, 02:47 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Day 3. Had to get up early and go to the doctor's. Not sure quite why, to be honest, other than that I was told to when I went last week.
Let me back up a little.
Last Wednesday was day 5, and I woke up feeling like I'd had a few - light headed, and I sounded the same. I figured I was just tired and it'd pass. It didn't. I spoke to my fiancee at about 3:30 (on the phone) and he told me I sounded terrible, and I should go to casualty.
Well, I'm not the kind to argue with him, so I did, and they took me straight through into a little room with what looked like a dentists chair in it rather than sitting me in the waiting room. Told me that I was 'not really with us'. The thing is, there's no doctor there. And, after telling them that no, I hadn't been drinking, because I'd quit on the Saturday, and no, I wasn't using recreational drugs, they took my blood pressure and blood sugar and left me for half an hour to see how I was.
They would have sent me to a different hospital where there was a doctor, but it was two buses there, and two buses back. So they told me to make an appointment to see my GP the next day.
So I did. All they put on my discharge notes was that I'd been 'unwell'. So, I had the same conversation with the doctor as I'd had in casualty. She told me I was probably just dehydrated, drink plenty of fluids and come back next week.
Turns out she was leaving, so I ended up seeing a different doctor and had to explain what had happened on Wednesday again.
And then she started asking me about my drinking.
For a long time I'd restricted my drinking to... events, I suppose. So most of the time if they said, 'how much have you had in the last week' I'd been able to say, 'I haven't'.
I told her I'd quit. She asked 'when was your last drink...'
And then she got me to answer all the questions. I could have lied, I suppose. I didn't. Now it's in my medical notes. Bother.
I suppose the fact that I was half asleep didn't help.

Other than that, like I said. Day 3. Hopefully the last day 3. Thanks to everyone for their support, and may your day be a good one. Be kind to yourselves, and remember to believe in you.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:43 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MalkavianEmily View Post
Day 3. ...And then she started asking me about my drinking.
For a long time I'd restricted my drinking to... events, I suppose. So most of the time if they said, 'how much have you had in the last week' I'd been able to say, 'I haven't'.
I told her I'd quit. She asked 'when was your last drink...'
And then she got me to answer all the questions. I could have lied, I suppose. I didn't. Now it's in my medical notes. Bother.
I suppose the fact that I was half asleep didn't help.

Other than that, like I said. Day 3. Hopefully the last day 3. Thanks to everyone for their support, and may your day be a good one. Be kind to yourselves, and remember to believe in you.
Yes, I gather most of us lie about our drinking. I used to work in a medical facility and it was an axiom among medical staff that whatever a patient reported as drinking should be doubled to be reasonably accurate (eg if patient says 2 glasses of wine a day then they figure 4). I think it's the feelings of guilt and shame that cause us to do that. In the past few months I've started being honest about it but find I need to caution the docs that this is the "real" amount, no kidding.

And now it's Day 3 for me - I'm very thankful (huge understatement). Hope to go for an early morning walk and then out for some shopping before the cravings hit so I will be less likely to go out and buy some alcohol.

Then various chores and things plus time for me to meditate and read. And snuggle with my kitty.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:11 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Day 30....figure it's time to get moving...and thanks to all your posts about it i'm signing up for yoga today. I've always wanted to get involved in mindfulness and yoga, and there's no better time than the present!

Congrats to all boaters here! I'm so happy to see the influx of new folks in the past week. Y'all can do it....be strong, have faith, and always watch your back. The Beast is lurking right around the next corner...but if you're actively working on your sobriety, you'll see him and render him powerless! Staying alert...and grateful.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:22 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Sober Mammoth!

A huge congratulations on your first 30 days, 2Mags! You did it! I am so proud of you. What a terrific inspiration you are for our class. Awesome job.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:28 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Sober Mammoth!

Good morning, Class of May boaters! Big thumbs up to all new joiners. You've come to the right class for the best people giving the best cyber hugs.

Really feeling like summer over here. Thinking of dusting off the hibachi and trying out a few new grilling recipes this weekend. Think I bought it over 10 years ago and it's still new in the box. Too hammered back in those years to trust myself with a blazing pit of fire. At least I made one good call in my perpetually pickled state.

Wishful workday thinking:

Wearing my sunscreen.
Beaches look pristine.
Walking by the sea
on my Day 18.

Have a wondrous Wednesday, everyone. Congratulations to all who are staying sober and/or choosing sobriety today.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:44 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Mornin, May pals!

I didn't sleep well last night. That's what I get for having drank on monday. Oh well, I learned again. But I am up early enough to get a workout in before heading to work. That will help, I know.
2M: congrats on 30 days! I'm a little jealous that you're signing up for yoga...in the tiny town where I currently live, there are NO yoga studios, though I think the rec center offers a yoga class once a week.

Flicked, glad you saw a doctor. I'm impressed that she checked you for other substances in your system before writing a script for ritalin. I've had bad experiences with doctors where they just write a script for stuff that doesn't fit. I've struggled with depression and anxiety for a long time, and a couple of years ago I went to a doctor who interpreted those symptoms as bipolar and put me on an antipsychotic, seroquel (it was brand new and the medication-du-jour). I could barely function. I then went to a psychiatrist who said that was definitely a wrong diagnosis and wrong medication for me. I've since been wary of doctors.

In fact, yesterday the counselor I saw asked me about medication to manage my depression. I related that experience to her and told her I've had just as much luck using diet and exercise to manage depression as using medication. In fact, exercise works better than medication. I told her I am wary of doctors and their readiness to just prescribe something to treat symptoms that are rooted in mental/emotional/spiritual malaise. She agreed with me (that's a first, usually people tell me I'm nuts) and suggested I see a naturopath instead.

Enough rambling...congrats everyone on another day! Happy hump day! Almost the weekend after today!
Old 05-30-2012, 04:57 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Good Morning All,

Lilac - It sounds like you went to a good counselor. I find positivity so much more helpful in recovery than punitive measures. I believe what we tell ourselves is essential in recovery. Emily - Congratulations on Day 3 Bless you for your honesty with your doctor. That really demonstrates your strength. Welcome Schwartz73! Flicked - It also sounds like you have a good doctor. Most doctors do not check the adrenals and they should. Overworked adrenals can have a definte impact on recovery. So glad that you are getting out of our room mate situation and staying sober. Congratulations Jeni on day 5 Congratulations Crewism on Day 6! Way to go Saskia on Day 3. Snuggling with a kitty sounds like a perfect way to chill out. A purring, warm, soft kitty is so soothing (I have two). I too have always wanted to do yoga. I have a tape I bought years ago and have still yet to play it. It is always on my "to do" list. This week I defintely need to do it! My hat is off to Leezmer. Tackling a pill addiction and alcohol is amazing. Your my hero Wishing everyone a wonderful day.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:35 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

FP and seahorese you inspired me.

I woke up early, didn't dream.
But i'm feeling stronger now that I'm clean
No way could I do this without our team.
Oh my goodness, Its Day 19

Deserto-I've been reading "Drinking,A love story" so far it's awesome.
Flick- I'm so glad you are getting out of that living situation early. RUN! Good for you taking control and being honest with your Doc.
Saskia,Payton, Lilac, Pink- can I join your yoga team? Sounds like a good release.
GingerBeer- went to the store last bight and picked up diet Canada Dry ginger Ale. Was looking for a good drink with no caffein. It's great! Better than my old margaritas. And no black out if I drink too much of it.
2Mag and Lee you both inspire me! Great job on a month.
Emily good job, i'm sure it will end up being helpful that you were honest with your Doc. Now you have a very important person on your recovery team.
Jeni, Tanja- keep up the good work!
Everyone else- good job. We are almost on to June! What a great team we have.

I am feeling a little down though. Not sure why. It seems like my insecurities are popping their head up. I guess this is why I drank in the first place. I am not sure why this is happening...Work is going great. I'm communicating better with my family and friends.
I guess I have always felt like an outsider. Sorry to be a bummer, but wondering if others have gone through a funk around 20 days? Don't worry though, there is no way in HE!! That I am drinking.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:36 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tanja View Post
I find positivity so much more helpful in recovery than punitive measures. I believe what we tell ourselves is essential in recovery.
Amen, sister! For far too long in my attempts at recovery, I got stuck in the negative and punitive parts. My past attempts at recovery were very fear-based (ie, disease doing push-ups in the parking lot, you'll never be free). That just doesn't work for me. I sense that I've got a new approach centered around uncovering my authentic self. What a revelation. I feel as though I've already lost a lot of mental/emotional "weight" in the past 24 hours!
Old 05-30-2012, 07:03 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

@Jeni and Lulin - went bike riding for the first time in a long time along the lake last Friday and it was sublime. I too felt like a kid again. Everybody should get back on their bikes this summer because it really does rekindle thoughts of childhood, after all, that's when we did a helluva like of bike riding (and freestyling!).

Have a great day everyone. Day 12 starting now and looking forward to graduating with the rest of the class. As always, thanks to everyone for their continued posts. I'm on this page more than any other now, morning, afternoon and night.

And I'll leave you with a link to one of my favorite songs (and music videos) of all time. Enjoy! And remember, We Must Protect This House!

Talking Heads - This must be the place (Naive Melody) [live - 1984].avi - YouTube
Old 05-30-2012, 07:30 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Day 10 for me!

I had the loveliest evening last night. My 11-year-old son and I went for a short hike around this reservoir area near us, lost our shoes in the mud at one point, climbed a huge mound of dirt, tried to sneak up on a flock of heron, ran through sprinklers to rinse the mud off, then raced each other back to the car, trying to make it there before it was totally dark out.

THIS is I am choosing sobriety.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:33 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HitRockBottom70 View Post
FP and seahorese you inspired me.
I am feeling a little down though. Not sure why. It seems like my insecurities are popping their head up. I guess this is why I drank in the first place. I am not sure why this is happening...Work is going great. I'm communicating better with my family and friends.
I guess I have always felt like an outsider. Sorry to be a bummer, but wondering if others have gone through a funk around 20 days? Don't worry though, there is no way in HE!! That I am drinking.
Sorry you're feeling down, but your determination to be sober will carry you through. I've heard there are ups and downs along the way for a while (I'm only on day 10 so I guess I have a lot of that to look forward to), but as long as you know that things are better on the other side of it, you'll be fine. Good job hanging in there.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:45 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Day nine…never thought I would see that number The last time I was alcohol free longer than this was in '09. Woo hoo!

2mags…30 days, what an amazing accomplishment, congratulations. 'staying alert and grateful'..good words to remember, ty.

Emily…congrats on day 3, and glad you are being honest with your doctor, that takes courage!

Saskia, sounds like you have a wonderful day planned. Congrats on day 3.

flic…so happy to see your post from last night! Can't wait to hear how your move goes.

Harpo…finally had time to check out the Craig Ferguson clip you suggested (post #335 Class of May 2012 Part 2). Love his honesty and openness. Thank you. Congratulations on day 12.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:09 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Way to go, Pink! It feels great, doesn't it!
Old 05-30-2012, 09:54 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Tons of work
no end to be seen
but I'll get 'er done
I'm on Day 19!