Notices

Class of May 2012 pt 3

Old 05-29-2012, 11:41 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

New to Class of May

Congratulations to all who made it through the weekend. I am on day 1 and new to SR. I am trying to join this Class of May (recommended by Crewism) but I am technically challenged on computer...so is this how you join this group post a reply?

Thanks Goldie5
Old 05-29-2012, 11:47 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Wow, Day 2! I haven't made it to a day 2 in years so nice to see I am not alone, on Day 1 in my struggle to make it to day 2. I agree reading and going to bed early will probably be my new routine for a while..old habits will trigger the cravings. What did they recommend to read by the way?
Old 05-29-2012, 11:51 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi Goldie5. Yes, just post a thread and dive straight in. Great to have you with us, welcome xx
Old 05-29-2012, 12:29 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Welcome Goldie, glad to have you with us!

Since no one's claiming it, I'll just ride shotgun again. Sorry FrenchPink
Old 05-29-2012, 12:40 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Welcome Goldie!

Deserto, I believe that's your rightful spot!

I am feeling a lot of energy today - both physical and positive mental. Had a great, focused yoga practice this morning. I believe my antidepressant has begun to kick in. I feel like I have flipped my life completely upside down in a good way, in the last 15 days.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:59 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Diez de Mayan

Deserto..you asked ''why the blech''. Not every day in sobriety is a good one for me. But I am so grateful today that I got thru the weekend sober! And you know what...even if I'm not happy happy joy joy all the time, I'm going to retract that second sentence...EVERY day that I am SOBER is a GOOD day!
Day 26...hope it sticks
or i'll be sick
and feel like ick! (hey frenchpink, where are ya, trying to keep the rhymes going)

I decorated and presented the cake to a 2 year anniversary baby at my home group today! It was a good meeting and I really enjoyed the reading today which I will re-post ....
start quote TRUE TOLERANCE

The only requirement for A.A. membership is a desire to stop drinking.

TWELVE STEPS AND TWELVE TRADITIONS, p. 139

I first heard the short form of the Third Tradition in the Preamble. When I came to A.A. I could not accept myself, my alcoholism, or a Higher Power. If there had been any physical, mental, moral, or religious requirements for membership, I would be dead today. Bill W. said in his tape on the Traditions that the Third Tradition is a charter for individual freedom. The most impressive thing to me was the feeling of acceptance from members who were practicing the Third Tradition by tolerating and accepting me. I feel acceptance is love and love is God's will for us. end quote

So anywho, I know I need to practice my tolerance and acceptance when people in the program rub me the wrong way, as I am sure I ruffled my share of feathers this week with my verbal tirade Monday!
And you know what...no-one interrupted me during my angry rant, and I have to learn to show the same tolerance to others, even if it means supergluing my mouth shut! Argh, sometimes I just feel like such a prickly pear!
My husband and I are leaving shortly to go for an appointment with an insurance agent (salesmen..ugh) then grocery shopping then another aa meeting tonight. Where I will NOT make a scene (let someone else have the spotlight hahah )
I will *fake it til I make it* and put on my best performance tonight as a PRIM AND PROPER MONA LISA SMILE WITH SERENITY AND GOODWILL OOZING OUT OF EVERY ORIFICE!!!! Because I've learned not all meetings are the same. The people at my homegroup tell it like it is with minimum 'social graces', and the night group I go to is more like a social tea party for the more elite (or so they think) I'm sure they had their share of embarrassing moments like crashing their mercedes into a neighbors porsche..
So I am like a black sheep there...baaaaa....and guess what ...honey badger don't give a flying sh*t...!!!!! OK back to being SERENE now...carry on!
Old 05-29-2012, 01:02 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Payton View Post

I am feeling a lot of energy today - both physical and positive mental.
Boy howdy! Me too. It's nice, eh.

Welcome Goldie. Glad to see you here :-).
Old 05-29-2012, 01:08 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I agree with the Carl Jung theory, sometimes just want to be "comfortably numb" and inside my head by myself..like a mini vacation. Will miss that alot! When does that pink cloud come??ugh! lol

Last edited by goldie5; 05-29-2012 at 01:13 PM. Reason: too vague
Old 05-29-2012, 01:14 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Welcome Goldie. My day 2 was 9 days ago. The first day is hard but you start to physically heal - eating better and feeling better - pretty quickly (in my experience). However, thereafter, once you get back on your feet you need to work on the mind. As Craig Ferguson said in a monologue I mentioned in an earlier post, "I don't have a drinking problem, I have a thinking problem.". Day 3 is right around the corner.

And one last thing. I just saw your post about missing mini-vacations. Trust me, there are others ways of doing it. It takes time and most of all patience, which is something hard to come by in our hyper-consumerist electronic culture, but because we live in such a place, it's easier to recognize those blissful states when you have them. And they will be a lot more long lived than the ones we experienced drinking. Guaranteed.

Harpo
Old 05-29-2012, 01:32 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Thanks for the inspiration Payton!
Old 05-29-2012, 01:35 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hello Everyone. Trying to get oriented here.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:44 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Welcome Schwarz73. This thread is for people who began their sobriety this month. Even if you began your sobriety earlier, welcome, but if you did, or if you want to stop this month, then please let us know how many days sober you are this month or plan to be beginning today or tomorrow.

Harpo
Old 05-29-2012, 03:03 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Welcome to all the new people and I hope everybody is having a great day. My Day 7 has been decent so far. Started at the doctors' for a blood test and check my blood pressure. The blood pressure is down but still high. I won't know the blood test results for a few days. I have my fingers crossed. I also asked the doc to refer me to a counselor/psychologist. I think it's about time I talked to a professional about what's going on. It couldn't hurt.

Then it was off to work. Another stressful day as always, but I actually found myself going to a meeting where I was looking forward to talking to the people in the room. That's new. Normally I just drag myself to the meetings and hope they get over quick.

While walking out the door of work, though, I realized my life is pretty damn lonely. I put myself in this position. Hell I wanted to be in this position so I could drink in peace. But now that the drinking is gone...well yeah. It's a little dull with just me and the dogs. So I'm dragging myself to an AA meeting again. I'm not sure where I'm going to end up with these meetings. I don't feel a glorious recovery when I'm at them, but they are interesting and at least I'm not alone for that time. I think I'll try to talk to more people tonight, but that's definitely outside my comfort zone.

Oh and the best news of all, my face is slightly less red than it has been for a really long time! I can almost see actual skin tone. Haha.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:10 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome Goldie and Schwarz

you guys just stay in this thread Saskia - it'll just be in a different place...
I'll do all I can to make sure everyone knows whats what when the time comes

D
Old 05-29-2012, 03:14 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Hey all, I posted my intro earlier today. My sober date is May 21, so I wanted to jump in this May thread before the month is out. I have read so much from all of you, and learned so much, and felt very much not-alone in the last 9 days. I've never been so happy to have a phone with internet (you guys come everywhere with me!) Thanks to all, and hope everyone is having a great day.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:24 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to you too OneLessLonely

D
Old 05-29-2012, 03:32 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Hello, OneLessLonely -- I'm on Day 9 too. We're still hanging in there!
Old 05-29-2012, 03:47 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

It's near the end of my work day, the time when I usually start thinking about buying a bottle of fine tequila so I can pour it down the drain otherwise known as my throat. This will be my first night of sobriety without my little kiddos and most certainly my biggest challenge, yet. Sweaty palms here.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:47 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Day eight.
I truly feel I would not be at day eight without SR. I carry all of you with me through out the day and night, your words a life raft when alcohol (the thought of consuming alcohol) starts to flood my brain.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:50 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Administrator

sweaty palms or not- you won't regret not drinking tomorrow crewisms - stick with it!

D