Notices

Class of March 2011 Part 16

Old 05-29-2012, 06:19 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

hello all! dave--sounds like an awesome fishing trip. I'm due for some fishing SOON! Spent the weekend with my folks. My dad is STILL in the hospital post stroke. It's bad--he is a shell of himself...hard to deal with the harsh reality of his condition. BUT thanks to the 'program' I made the best of the time I spent with my dear Father, and my mother who had been in a wheelchair for the past 2 years plus. My mother has gotten stronger through this as she is a stubborn country girl. This weekend gave me a chance to be grateful for the support and love my parents provided me throughout my life. They were key to me being sober today through their support. This program has taught me through adversity the importance of being grateful and moving forward to provide more positive support to those I love and cherish.
HOT day here in Southern New Jersey. Hope you all had a great weekend!
Old 05-29-2012, 06:54 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Strokes are so hard, bryan, I'm sorry your family is going through that. I'm sure they loved having you around them this weekend. Sounds like you have a great attitude about things.

We sent you that heat..you're welcome.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:37 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Editor

Bryan.....great job on being there for your parents. In our rehab center.....they do surveys all the time to see what helps best with their recoveries.....One of the top responses was the family support that they received and on the other end of the spectrum was the lack of family support. Letting them know how much you care and respect them can do wonders. Keep up the great work.

mirage.....I am not worried about your drinking dreams....we all have those....but the people that you are hanging out with is starting to concern me.....

Hey lofty...be sure to make a video when you kick the roadrunners butt. I wanna see it!

To the rest of the marchers.......you are in my thoughts and prayers
Dave
Old 05-29-2012, 11:00 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Actually, funny you should mention that, Dave. I just got off Amazon.com, where I ordered my ACME brand Can O' Whoopass. Guaranteed to work, even over the phone.

Mirage, when I read about your dream, a memory of a dream I had last night came to mind. Wife and I were at some kind of family event; I think it was our anniversary, or a death of a relative. Something like that. But we found some old folders, and in one was a bunch of cash from our wedding that we had forgotten about. Several $1000 dollar silver certificates and stuff. And then there was a box that had papers in it with a big, fat cigar. I was more excited about the cigar than anything else, and grabbed it and put it in my shirt pocket. That's all I remember, though. I haven't had any drinking dreams that I remember, not for a while. I guess I spend my waking hours thinking about it.

I also didn't say this a.m. how glad I was that I didn't drink this weekend. All three mornings, I woke up feeling good, and optimistic, and mindful of what I did and didn't like about the previous evening. I think I only had an okay time at our cookout because every time we host something like that, I have to do so much work that I feel I deserve to drink. I do most of the cooking, etc., so I don't get time to be with the guests as much as I want, etc. So, I was thinking, why am I doing this? With one exception, I couldn't think of a good reason. The exception is that a friendship is developing with a family from our church, and he's in recovery. He and I get together a couple times a week, and we're trying to get the families to acclimate. My wife doesn't like making new friends so that's pretty much the hangup. It's also keeping us from moving on from our current circles; something I've been trying to do for years. Or, at least expand our circle.

Back to the races!
Old 05-29-2012, 11:21 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LoftyIdeals View Post
I also didn't say this a.m. how glad I was that I didn't drink this weekend. All three mornings, I woke up feeling good, and optimistic, and mindful of what I did and didn't like about the previous evening.

Back to the races!
THIS!

It sums up my lovely weekend with friends-who-are-family and their kiddos.

It is just a-maz-ing to be content and not screaming inside with anxiety. We stayed at our friends' for dinner and to let the traffic die down. Before, I would have been antsy pantsy about leaving and getting home and what-if....and last night I felt, "We're having a nice time. We'll get home when we get home. I'll set the alarm and go running. So what if I'm a little short on sleep. I can manage."

BIG-O DIFFERENCE.

Big happy dog achievement....a dog arrived for the day who my dog hates. The other dog scared the carp out of him the first time they met. I leashed up my dog, took a breath, and told my dog he wasn't going to have to deal with that dog. He just had to behave and listen to me. I didn't explain and over-explain anything to anyone. I just did. By the end of the afternoon, I was feeding the two dogs side by side little morsels of buffalo burger.

I don't eat meat, but I know the way to a dog's stomach.

Marching and praying for all and delighted that I wake up sober every day.

LOL Mirage for your dream!

Lofty, do you think you might have some hidden money somewhere?

Bryan, sending strength to you for the tremendous job you are doing for your parents.

Dee & Aussie--Sleep tight!

DAVE!!!! So glad you went fishing!!!!

PBC, Rosie, Professor, thinking of you!
Old 05-29-2012, 01:12 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Frances, I'm curious...do you feel that the relief you have from the anxiety you used to experience is all from not drinking, or is some of that the medicine that helps balance you out? I'm not trying to be nosy, I'm just wondering and I'm interested in the alcohol/anxiety connection. I think it's awesome that you feel so much better. Glad you had some a great time and yay for the doggie!

Dave..I'll only be concerned if one of you guys show up. Metallica, I can handle.

Lofty..does your wife seem to like the wife of your friend? I'm glad you had a sober weekend, too!! Yeah, it stinks when you have to do all the work and can't enjoy it as much. I hope your efforts were appreciated.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:01 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hi Mirage--Happy to explain. I was drinking to self-medicate worsening anxiety/depression. Thought I was on to a really great solution. The booze made both worse.

Six months sober, I realized I was miserable, went on medicine. TA-DA, life is getting SO much better.

Since the medicines require sobriety to work effectively, it's a chicken and egg for me. Am I sober for the medicine to work or is the medicine helping me be sober?

I have felt miserable gut-wrenching anxiety since early childhood. It's a completely new thing for me to be free of anxiety consistently. I don't have panic attacks anymore that left me blank-minded and even lost if I was driving.

It's literally like a monster that was hugging me to death has been banished. I feel exactly like me, like how I've always wanted to feel, not just faking it.

I never went to the doctor because in my family sucking it up was a Badge of Honor and getting help was Being Weak.

Does that make sense?
Old 05-29-2012, 02:14 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Yes! Makes perfect sense, ty. Wow, that must be an amazing feeling.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:18 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Thanks for that share, Frances. I'm glad your anxiety has been eliminated. Congrats for taking control of the beast and shaking yourself free!
Old 05-29-2012, 02:33 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

prayers for you and our dad Bryan

D
Old 05-30-2012, 07:09 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Morning!

Boy we've gotten quiet.

My seasonal allergies went ballistic yesterday. Used the AC last night to try to clear out the pollen and sleep better.

TRX strength class this morning.

I'm benedryl-ed up and drinking coffee to offset the effects.

Picked up a little job yesterday that might turn into more. Yay!

Hope everybody's doing good today!
Old 05-30-2012, 10:47 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Morning! Yes, tis allergy season! Off and on around here. Good luck on the job potential! I was out and about this morning, had an appt. at 10:00. Well, first I drove B to the bus cuz apparently there was a stabber in the area. Then I hit Bed, Bath and Beyond for a few things. I picked up a tower air circulator/fan type thing. It gets so warm upstairs, I'm hoping a better fan will help some, we'll see. Went to Lowes and got a few pots and some already started bell peppers and a zucchini plant. I want to put the squash in the garden and grow the peppers and soybeans in pots on the deck. I'd plant them now, but I'm low on energy now. Awesome weather! 70 (About 20c for our aussies) and sunny and breezy. Niiiiiice. Hope you're all enjoyin your hump day!
Old 05-30-2012, 11:27 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Hello, all!

Busy, busy today. Started at 7 am, just now getting to my desk. Got a lot of dusty things off my desk, and even picked up a check for a policy I thought was not going to close. Bonus. Best thing yet? Because it was mostly delivery day, I am wearing shorts and a polo, which is always a good day. The alternatives are my workout stuff or a suit. This is the happy medium. TMI? Me thinks not.

Sun, sun, sun. That's all I need for a good day. (just got up and opened the shades. thanks for the reminder, self)

Congrats on the potential new gig, Frances. Good luck with it!

Wife put our garden in about 10 days ago, and it's off to the races. Growing faster than our pup. I think we are over planted, but at least we'll have some stuff. All is from seed this year, except for two tomato plants that were a bargain.

Enjoy the day, all!
Old 05-31-2012, 05:43 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Another day, and hopefully a dollar, or many. Good appt today to return to a line of business I haven't been in for a while. Feeling a bit rusty, so I hope I can get it.

Puppy seems to be full of puppy growth hormone. Less sleeping, wants to play more, and mouth a bit more. We got a video on establishing pack order, as only myself and my daughter have the pup's respect as a leader. It's an interesting dynamic.

Ya' know how dogs and cats have that morning BIG stretch? I've always heard that this is a healthy thing for humans too, as it oxygenates the blood at the end of our limbs, and elsewhere. It occurred to me this morning that I have been doing that for a couple months now. I never used to do it, instinctively. I mean, I'd stretch, but I didn'nt have that healthy morning yawn-stretch. It feels great. Don't know if its due to not drinking or smoking or both.

Hope all have a great day. It's my kids last day of school, which means a whole new schedule, from here forward. No more daddy bus driver in the morning, or in the afternoons. All three will be at the same high school next year, and will ride together in one car, driven by son #1, until they graduate. I think I shall establish a new routine, now that I can. VERY HAPPY ABOUT THIS!!!!!

Have a groovy marchin' day!
Old 05-31-2012, 06:53 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Happy Thursday!

Loving how things are going in a good direction Lofty, keep it up!

Sunny and breezy here today, beautiful. Allergies are much improved.

Off to Maine tonight for a long weekend. Can't wait!

March it everyone!
Old 05-31-2012, 07:46 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

DOH!! I just posted on the Marchers 2012 by mistake. Anywho--just checking in. Lovely Day in South Jersey today. Maybe I'll share a poem I wrote on here from last summer when I was a 'guest' at the 'county suites' as a result of my FINAL dui. The poem was entitled "The Summer of Wasn't"...it's sad, but also reflects hope from being in a dark place for 3 months. Glad that is behind me now. God Bless!
Old 05-31-2012, 08:33 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Editor

I'm marching it....to the beat of a crazy fast drummer. My balls are in the air again and I am trying not to drop any. I am jealous of mirages 70 degrees and breezy. Those days are long gone here....I wont see that again until October.
I was too busy to plant my garden this year I love me some fresh veggies....guess I will have to raid my Pops in the cover of darkness when it starts producing a little more.

Has anyone heard from Aussie....I havent seen her on here in a few days.

Speaking of allergies....I must have sneezed over 50 times wednesday morning.....I thought that my head was going to fall off....guess it is time to get back on my allergy meds.

mirage...here is to you seeing us in your dreams.

Lofty...wow all in high school....man you are gettin old On the plus side.....you can hang up your bus driving cap....I look forward too and dread the day my bus service stops....that means that my baby girl is growing up.......dang it I almost cried just then.

Enjoy your weekend frances!!!! I have always wanted to go to Maine.

Bryan I would love to see your poem...I like to express myself through poems....mine are not always good....but I get to say what I want and that is that.

Dee Keep fighting the good fight

Peace to my Peeps
March
Dave
Old 05-31-2012, 10:38 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

You guys are missing the boat. There are actual, paid BUS DRIVERS that take your kids to school, ya know. On BUSSES. They'll even bring em home! It's great!

No, I haven't seen aussie. AUUSSSIIEEEEE!!!! Where are youuuuuuu??? There. That oughtta do it.

Please post your poem, Bryan. We'd love to read it.

Have a fun Maine weekend, frances! We're home this weekend. B's soccer game on Sunday and I just found out my other college roomy is coming to see me! She's in Kentucky. I'm so excited!! Getting to see both my girls this summer! So I'll be cleaning again. haha.

Don't drop your balls, Dave!! (I see a weird dream in my future.) And stay cool! (I'm totally telling Pop you said that, btw.)

Have a great day, pack leader!! (I just saluted you with the boy scout salute.)

Speakin a dogs, I'd better go find Rox. I let her out to chase a squirrel. Last time I did that she came back!! Not so much this time. Laters!
Old 05-31-2012, 11:11 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Dave...YOU'RE calling ME old? I'm not so old that my balls are in the air! Ha! Touche'!

My retirement from bus driving is a double edged sword, I'll admit. I have loved the time with my kids. But, remember, both I and my wife work from home, so we get more time with our kids than almost anyone we know. And, we have to do the busing because our levy didn't pass 2 yrs ago, and we are under the 2 mile radius where busing is voluntary. So, we had professionals doing the job, until they were fired. The worst part of it? The same buses come through the neighborhood picking up the private school kids, who pay for it. Why didn't they give the public school parents the option to pay? Being Bob the Busdriver has been a HUUUGE distraction to my job over the last two years. I mean, how can you constantly schedule yourself around mid-afternoon pickups?
All in all, I'm glad it's over.

Bryan, I can't wait for your poem. 90% of my poetry has been written when I was in a pretty dark place in my life, so if I never write another poem, that's okay by me. The other 10% was written when I was hallucinating, I think. Hmmm, come to think of it, where did those Red Hot Chili Peppers get their lyrics?

Frances, does not eating meat include lobster? I hope not. I'd be in rock lobster heaven if I were in Maine! I hope your allergies are better there, and that you have the fantastic weekend you deserve!

You are right, Dave, Aussie hasn't checked in since 5/25, six days ago. Hope she's okay.

AAAAAAUUUUUSSSSSIIIIIEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!! I hope that made it across the equator!
Old 05-31-2012, 04:23 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Wow..I went to our early threads to read. Very strange. I miss those folks and wonder about how they're doing. What a weird feeling. Hey Lofty..I found this from you:

"Sorry...me again. One last thought: for those needing a glimpse of what is to come in their sobriety, I recommend lurking on some of the threads of folks a year, two or three ahead of us. I did that today, and the conversations were surprisingly normal! Talk of kids, daily life, and, oh yeah, every now and then recovery. Recovery can become an ingrained part of a life restored to normal. These are the toughest days. Hang in there, and Let Go and Let God."

I think that's us.
Nite nite to my lovely Marchers. Thanks for sticking around.