# 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Class of February 2012 Part 5

we continue from here

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-4-a-20.html

D
Old 05-22-2012, 07:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Ok, Dee, thanks. Watching the thread numbers get to 500 must be like watching the car odometer turn to 100,000 miles. Lol
Old 05-22-2012, 07:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Getting Healthy

Dang I wentto reply and got locked out! Thanks Dee for the new thread!

Lilac I am proud that you were able to overcome your rough day at work!

I am grateful for a friend making healthier choices alongside of me. I'm going to embark on healthy eating again tomorrow. I'm not used to having people be my cheerleader. It feels wonderful.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

RAH, RAH, ORBEAAAA!!
Old 05-22-2012, 07:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

sorry guys I had to 'go early' cos I have tradesmen here and the power might be interrupted

D
Old 05-22-2012, 08:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Lilac sorry to hear about the rough day! Way to go getting thru it and going to the gym!

EQ that's cool you have a movie buddy now.

Orbea I am also working on eating healthier. I really enjoy healthy food and am working on eating more and less junk.

Talkin about food.. I've been thinking about one of those cleanses or detox things. Just not sure if it's all some money maker or If they actually work. Also looking into the P90x work out. Super tired and off to bed now!
Old 05-22-2012, 10:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Dee, The further I get into these woods, the more I DON'T understand how you did this.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Getting Healthy

A friend and I are doing the anti inflammatory diet. I need to get my zero scale out and working. I ordered it off groupon. It will hide your actual weight.it will tell you gains or losses. You can see your actual weight... If you dare.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Dee, The further I get into these woods, the more I DON'T understand how you did this.
There was no way back EQ - not for me.

I knew what drinking bought me.

However scary my new life, however rough, however stressful, there was at least the hopr and the chance for a better life.

I trusted the people here who told me to have faith, that it would better - it did - but it took a while on some points. I'm glad I stayed the course tho

Do you have any support besides us EQ?

D
Old 05-23-2012, 04:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Getting Healthy

Dee is there a link to "your story?" you are a Rick for so many of us.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

yeah my story is in the Stories of Recovery forum, Orbea - take a sandwich - there's parts one and two, lol

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-one.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-2-a.html

D
Old 05-23-2012, 04:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks BF and Orbea. And I second the cheer that EQ offered above!

There is a great healthy eating thread on this site. http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-2-a.html

You'll get lots of support and ideas there!

Day 3. Got up just after 5am to have a bit of coffee, clean the kitchen and say hello to you guys before I head to the gym. Happy Hump Day!!!
Old 05-23-2012, 06:41 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Lilac sounds like your doing great! I've really been noting morning work outs, it seems to get me in a positive mood for the day.

Hoppin on here to say hello to everyone this morning. I'm finally sleeping great thru the night which is nice. I have been sleeping though a good 8hrs and coming home from work ready to go to sleep again. I'm sure I'll eventually get more energy back but for right now I have just enough to last thru the day till I'm off work.

Have a great sober day everyone!
Old 05-23-2012, 08:04 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Dee: your question is hard to answer, in that everyone in my life, whether they drink too much or not at all support me in sobriety. Meaning no one would sabotage me, and some, i can say, "y'know, its 106 days today" and theyll be like, "great job!"

However none of these people have gone through quitting. So while supportive, they do not understand in the same way as SR and cant be as specifically helpful as SR.

Regarding more recovery support, I have not gone to AA and dont want to. While I think anything that has helped so many is amazing, i also dont believe it is for all. Particularly all the steps, as the person i know i hurt the most and need to make amends to primarily, is myself.

I also work ten hr days, and find meetings inconvenient, as opposed to SR. However, i see the merit in being around other recovering people in the community, rather then just cyber support. BUT sober support also makes me wary because if people relapse they can disappear. The relapse of others part I am getting a better handle on. The fact that they disappear I am not.

I have a cruise in August with family, and tho my sister (who knows and is supportive) will be my roomate, and altho i could still get on SR if needed for support, I may look into AA meetings on the cruise as a buffer. And in that case I feel I should first go to one here so that I have a clue what to expect.

My last cruise I took with my mother and I would start secretly drinking earlier in the day so by cocktail hour I didnt look too awful gulping down drinks in front of her. And of course, I was never drunk because my tolerance is so high. I havent been "seemingly" drunk in front of anyone in maybe ten years at least. No one really gets that I have a problem because I live alone and hide it. But I know.

My biggest hurdle is setting up socializing. I work in healthcare long days, but dont really have time to socialize with colleagues as I am busy with the job. So it is actually very isolating as obviously I am not going to get my social needs met by patients.

Then I come home to living alone. I have probably four really close women friends, all living anywahere from thirty mins to an hr away. All are either married or have kids at home or both. Having been there, done that, I know how hard it is for them to arrange time to go do something with me besides just meet for a drink, etc. So we do, but it is all literally weeks in the planning. I do things with my family and my daughters family but am only a little bit comfortable with sobriety as a topic. The men I have dated since my divorce have mostly been drinkers. I have had therapy before over the years, and not feeling thats what I need now. I need a coach I can report my goals and baby step accomplishments to.

Objectively I feel I need to socialize a lot more and actually NOT about talking about recovery. There is / was so much more to me then being a now sober divorced fifty year old grandmother whose Mother died and now helps her widowed father. Lol I was once an award winning artist, I loved to travel, love to write... However these are solitary pursuits.

Unfortunately I have a long way to go to make headway on my social phobia without drinking. And as I keep noting, I am blown away that I seem to be having such a nice time being around others now, yet I have been an introvert my whole life. I do NOT understand this. It is a lot to get my head around.

But for now, RIGHT NOW, I have to cough up the big bucks for the critter control guys who are here to assess the mice I hear in my attic and wall. And I am Irrationally phobic of mice and must deal with this without alcohol. Never buy an old house from the forties, guys... Not alone, anyway... not if you are mice phobic!

The truth is, I hope I can find someone to share my life with again one day. I really miss it. I have a lot to offer.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Hope you guys are doing well!

I've decided to try to plan 3 social things a week for me to commit to (outside of work) for the time being till I get better footing. That in and of itself takes a lot of planning when you are single, but I'm gonna try. I think it is better for me and i want to see if that is true.

So (1) Monday night this week I went to a baseball game, (2) Tomorrow I am going to lunch with a friend and then to a museum. Going with the friend who still drinks at a bar most nights, but he is very supportive and so schedules other kinds of activities with me. (3) Saturday have an obligatory family gathering (1) Next Monday meeting a friend for a movie....

Of course people cancel but it is worth a go!

I am impressed with everyone's health kicks. I have been saying I am going to join a gym, but then I don't. I am afraid since it is 15 minutes away that I won't go. But THAT is an obvious excuse!
Old 05-23-2012, 06:41 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

BF, so glad to hear you're sleeping through the night. Isn't sleep divine? I agree that am workouts help my mood for the day.

EQ, I totally understand the non-socializing thing. I'm kind of an introvert. And I talk all darn day at work (court, meetings, phone calls, court and over and over) so I don't even like talking to anyone after work. Sometimes even on weekends. But I'm married, so I talk to the husband. Sounds like you are trying to get out of your shell a bit, and that's awesome!

Didn't need a second workout today...made it through a shaky period this afternoon during which i contemplated leaving early and drinking. I just told myself no and drinking didn't mesh with my goals and started in on another project. When I did get home, any urge had passed. YAY!
Old 05-23-2012, 07:01 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's saved many of my friends lives, but there are more ways to support than AA. Sometimes support is a contented happy,full, life.

My life now is predicated on me being sober. I love my life. I'm not giving that up

Maybe you're going through what I did - needing to find out who sober you is...and defining the parameters of healthy for you.

Altho the way to peace and happiness and being comfortable in ourselves can seem neverending I promise you it's not.... maybe you're right where you need to be right now EQ?

D
Old 05-23-2012, 07:28 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:07 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

EQ that's great that you have a few things planned. I'm so tired by the time I get off work that I have been going to sleep super early and worn out by the end of the work week so I just hang around the house on weekends.

Today was pretty good, it went by super fast. I don't have too much going on. I am happy to have had another day sober.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:16 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thats great BF that being home is not a big trigger for you, whereas being home alone is a huge trigger for me to drink. Likewise, being with people, even drinkers, doesn't trigger me, whereas it probably does for you.

Either way you are wise to minimize your trigger situations. Which is why, the first three months i booked myself up night and day, saying yes to any invitation. I guess now i will try to set up things i like, with people I prefer, rather then just "keeping busy" like I was.

It is safe for me to be at home in the sense that I won't drink. But, I notice I do the same other isolative self defeating.behaviors, just minus the drinking. So I am working on those behaviors now, now that they are visible to me.

I am really impressed with your week plus, BF. Is there something you are doing differently, do you think?