Notices

Class of February 2012 Part 5

Old 05-24-2012, 03:23 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Getting Healthy

Being home was a trigger for me. Like I said I was not a social drinker ( I was at one point). I was an isolationist bc I didn't want anyone to know what I was doing.

My sister is flying into town next week. She likes cab. I told her about the new diet, so I don't think she'll be asking for it.

Dee- thanks for posting those links. You went through some scary stuff. You are definitely an inspiration to me.

Lilac- good job on overcoming those triggers!

My hubby got called out of state late yesterday afternoon. Sudden surprises like that would have made me pick up. I am proud to say drinking did not even cross my mind. I even took superboy to market and flew by the wine aisle wo a second thought.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:35 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Maybe you're going through what I did - needing to find out who sober you is...and defining the parameters of healthy for you.

Altho the way to peace and happiness and being comfortable in ourselves can seem neverending I promise you it's not.... maybe you're right where you need to be right now EQ?

D
As usual, great wisdom from Dee! I don't know who "I" am, let alone who "sober me" is. It has never occurred to me that being sober I have to redefine myself and that is scary. BUT I do get to actually DEFINE who I am. Finally. I've let other people (parents, boyfriends, and coworkers/bosses) define who I am. Depending on where I am, I have always been someone different.

And BF, keep on goin! You are like me...I'm so tired when I get home I don't want to do anything and on the weekends I like to clean, read and chill.

Happy almost Friday February folk!
Old 05-24-2012, 07:04 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone. I woke up to my dog chewing up my fav pair of headphones and then went after some very expensive sunglasses. She's being a lil stinker today! And I kept having work related dreams so I feel like I didn't sleep at all. Oh well, gotta keep moving forward.

EQ your right, for me being around people drinking right now would def be a trigger. Although I did all my drinking isolating at home I feel more safe like I won't drink at home bc I don't have any beer in the house. I'm still figuring out what all I need to do different this time. I wake up and pray for the desire to drink to be removed for the day and just the other day the gas station I would normally run by closed down so I guess that's a good thing. I'm just so done with the drunk me and the pitty parties. I have been very mean the last few times I drank and not proud of those times at all.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:19 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

BF, I like the concept of praying and asking to have the urge to drink removed from me each day. I would like to remember to do that, perhaps whenever I have the urge, I could say a short prayer...

Had a really lovely time with my friend. He was very generous with his time, and we had breakfast out, went to a museum, and then went to a consignment shop I wanted to see. He is good company and I liked doing things together that did not involve drinking.

Sometimes when I used to go out, once I get home, I felt really lonely, by comparison. So much so, that I wondered what the use of socializing was, if it only made me lonelier.

But I don't feel that way now. I am sure the fact that I do not come home and drink, is part of the reason for the difference.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:29 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Orbea, I just read your post. Great job not hailing the Cab, so to speak. Keep it up and keep telling us how you are, especially with your husband away, and sister coming, etc.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:17 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

PS. The 8 pots with the morning glory seeds (I planted last Sunday) are stretching their arms out like theyre waking up from a long sleep. I hope the pots with the other seeds rouse soon too. It gives me faith in life.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:55 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Getting Healthy

I'm doing good. Husband got lucky and is on his way home. Yay. I've been too busy to think about wine! Busy day at work. No time to fart around. Went to wal*mart and ha a failed trip there. Went to Kohl's for some fat girl clothes. Superboy is Rockin out to Wiggles. I spilled my fruit salad all over the floor before dinner. Now Superboy knows how to say $hit nice and clearly.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:01 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Feeling grateful.

Grateful that I am on my deck, listening to the game on the radio, with a soft warm breeze blowing..

Grateful that at the bottom of the second, we are beating our "nemesis" 6 to 0...

Grateful that listening to the game on the radio reminds me of listening to the game on the car radio with my Dad as a kid.

Grateful that when I just texted him to remind me what a suicide squeeze is, he, at 82, texted me back a complete explanation!

LOL
Old 05-24-2012, 08:02 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Orbea I had to laugh when reading about your kids new word!

EQ sounds like a great relaxing evening.

This morning I was getting so frustrated with my dog it really put me in a bad mood. Then when I took her out on my lunch I couldn't help but give her a big hug. Tomorrows pay day which I can see being a trigger to buy beer this weekend. I feel like I should stay home all weekend bc if I go out I'll be tempted to buy beer.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:07 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Bf: when you had that longer stretch of sobriety in feb/ march/ april, how did you handle the paycheck issue?
Old 05-24-2012, 08:13 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

That's a good Q. Hmm. I think I was buying records and movies n stuff. Really I should be saving money since I have nothing saved up. And I do want a new cell phone.
Old 05-25-2012, 05:29 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

BF, I totally understand the payday thing. For the past year or so, I was self-employed getting irregular checks but when I'd get paid, I'd get booze. Now I have a contract gig that is 30 hours a week, not really time to take on private clients right now so I'll get checks every 2 weeks or so. Haven't thought about whether or not that will be a trigger. Hmmm.

Just wanted to say hi and happy Friday to my February peeps! I am kind of enjoying being part of 2 groups...February and May.

Day 5 here...I am a little nervous because it's a long weekend. However, I do have to go into work for a couple of hours on Monday to deal with people who get put in jail over the weekend (my new contract gig is as a prosecutor on an Indian reservation. People can't be held without a hearing on bail for longer than 72 hours).
I am finding this new gig to be a great deterrent. When I was doing private practice, not only did I have flexibility because I mostly worked from home, I was not enjoying the work (divorce and custody stuff, ugh). Now I am back in the criminal justice system which I do love. Plus, I see lots of crimes related to alcohol. Especially with juveniles. And I love love love the kids and getting an opportunity to help them. So it's a motivator to see devastation and young lives going down the wrong path because of alcohol for me to NOT drink and be a good example.

But I am planning on doing some gardening, household chores, lots of reading, and sitting by the pool sipping iced tea! And a couple runs/hikes of course.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:37 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Good morning class! Friday yay! Tonight I think I'll treat myself to a pizza since I've been eating pretty healthy this week. Another 3 day weekend for me. I've got some cleaning around the house to do and some organizing. I'll also probly kick back and enjoy a few movies. I've already made up my mind that I will be sober today and not using my pay check for beer. I don't want to waste money on something that isn't going to help me. I may buy a new wallet tho bc mine is falling apart.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:40 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Getting Healthy

Great job everyone. BF I have a feeling you will have a great weekend!!! Lilac I appreciate what your new job is giving to you. Puts things in perspective as it relates to our disease.

I got on my zero scale...aka the magic scale this morning. Down 4.8 pounds.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:09 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Nice work, all. Have a great 3-day weekend for those of you observing Memorial Day! Prayers out to all those who aren't with us anymore. Life is fleeting... all we can do is make each day count!
Old 05-25-2012, 01:15 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Nice job Orbea!
Old 05-25-2012, 04:58 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Well done everyone!

Sounds like you are all keeping your sober goal front and center.

I have really seen now how keeping a sober life can set the tone for my life. Somehow, it allows my values to reveal themselves, and I automatically want them to guide my decisions. Especially when doing so feels so right inside!

Good luck this weekend, everyone. Be safe & sober and have fun!

Thanks for the nice post, Wildcat.
Old 05-25-2012, 05:00 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Administrator

have a great weekend everyone

D
Old 05-25-2012, 05:34 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Getting Healthy

I have to judge bands for our local memorial day parade. Imagine doing that hung over and 90 degrees?
Old 05-25-2012, 06:33 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I just realized i will be at a small private Catholic Mass tomorrow, where they will offer wine with communion. It will be the first time I will not partake. That makes me sorta sad, as I really like the ritual.

Just another thing i am doing for the first time sober, i guess.