Class of April 2012 Part 2

Old 05-02-2012, 02:30 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope everyone, great day or rough one, has a better night

D
Old 05-02-2012, 03:10 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Wow just dealing with some really strong cravings right now, planning in my head.... I feel like an ******* for it, I'll have a month Saturday. I have a nasty cold and allergies with a constant running nose. I haven't had allergies in years. I also feel like I'm back in withdrawal. I didn't sleep last night for the first time in a few weeks. I didn't really acknowledge how I was feeling because I thought it would pass quickly, and I hate complaining even tho I think I do it a lot anyways. I just can't seem to focus on anything to keep myself occupied or this wouldn't be so bad. Today is just kind of snowballing and I find myself thinking too far ahead. I already went through this withdrawal, what if it gets as bad as before only now I'm sick too? The hardest part is over right?

This vulnerability scares me, where is my confidence?
Old 05-02-2012, 03:19 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Administrator

Being sick was always a rough time for me...I used to drink through most things...
being sick when sober - especially the first time - was pretty intense.

Colds and allergies aren't fun but they are finite
If you think a Dr will help, go and see one Adam

hope you feel better soon!

D
Old 05-02-2012, 03:32 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Still managing to stay quit, though the sunshine draws out all my old sentimental notions of fun in the sun with friends and glasses of wine. Somehow I'm resisting....I think my higher power is definitely carrying me through at the moment.
Best wishes to everyone, this is my longest stretch in a year, 13 days, which didn't seem at all possible to me before now and I had almost given up hope of ever changing. So if I can then I think anyone can!
Old 05-02-2012, 05:10 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Day 8 - just checking it. Pissed off because IE just erased my post when I tried to spell check it. Screw it, it was probably too long anyway.

Sufficive to say, I've been to a few meetings and found there is a bloody big difference between sober and serenity. Still strugling with how to deal with upcomming social situations where before all I knew involved drinking through them. Dinner parties, street parties, volunteer bartending (turned that down).

I think I've got miles to go on this journey before I find out who I will become, or who I really am. As of today I'm only a few small steps down that path.

Stay strong everyone.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:42 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Being sick was always a rough time for me...I used to drink through most things...
being sick when sober - especially the first time - was pretty intense.

Colds and allergies aren't fun but they are finite
If you think a Dr will help, go and see one Adam

hope you feel better soon!

D
Thanks Dee

I'm feeling better mentally now, not perfect of course but I'm glad I didn't give in today. I'll probably give my Doctor a call tomorrow and see what she can do for my cold/allergies. I did go in for it over a week ago but at the time my cold hadn't progressed enough yet. I don't have health insurance now so I'll have to see if I can afford the prescriptions. I figured I'd try and soldier through it, probably wasn't a good idea.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:21 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Day something (think I'll give up counting as it's making me anxious and competitive and comparative). Feeling good today, husband is being so supportive (really helps) finally over head cold/tummy bug, yoga last night and run this morning with good friend. My husband also got stuck into a bottle of something last night (never drunk that man tho) and when I asked him how he slept he said 'bad, wine had too much sulphur' and I swear, a lightness went through me, just pure relief.

Stay strong April!
Old 05-02-2012, 07:54 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Another sober day!!!!!!!!!! Just came back from dinner at my sister's where wine was served. When i walked in and saw the wine I immediately asked my nephew for a tall glass of water with ice. Held onto that baby all nigth. No one offered wine since I was always with a drink in hand. There were only 2 bottles of wine for like 9 people. WTH????? When I was drinking I never accepted a drink if I knew I could have only one.

On the drive back home, my 9 year old turned the emergency blinkers on and off a few times. What looked like an unmarked police car followed me for a while. I actually wanted the cop to stop me because I was stone cold sober and felt so good about not drinking at my sister's. Spent a couple of hours of quality family time with my nephew and fiancee who are visiting from California.

I totally attribute today's ability to stay strong and committed to the few hours I spent earlier today reading dozens of posts on this forum. Hitting the sack....

Keep strong April class!!!!!!!!
Old 05-02-2012, 08:20 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Natalie funny you should if I could only have one, wouldn't drink. Me too!

Closing day 4. Sure getting more done.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:25 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Day 3 here. Just checking in. Good luck to you all.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:34 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

" a tall glass of water with ice"
What do the rest of the Aprilites use to take the "edge off"?
For me it has to be something really cold..I drink sparkling mineral water.
Boring I know but it works for me.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:37 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Herbal tea.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:49 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to the thread vajra

D
Old 05-02-2012, 08:53 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Hi there! I am also a member of the November 2011 class but have relapsed so many times I thought it would be helpful to join a new class with my new date for this "final" shot at beating this thing. My last drink was on Friday night April 27.
A quick bit about me... Been trying to quit drinking for almost 6 years now. The longest I have ever gone without a drink is about 33 days. I have seen this disease get progressively worse. My husband died suddenly almost two years ago and he was always there to pick me up when I fell down...literally and figuratively. Well, now I live alone and there are times I have wondered how I got home and once home, wondered how I didn't hurt myself by falling down or something. Anyway, I am really serious about this and feel a renewed confidence. I am going to find a local AA meeting to go to next week. They seem to have a lot of success. Well, that's all for now. Will try to read through the posts to catch up this weekend.
Hi Dee! You'll see me toggling back and forth between here and November as I want to stay in touch with those guys.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:55 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Administrator

hi marine - welcome aboard!

D
Old 05-03-2012, 05:33 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Hi All, almost the end of Day 9 for me.
Big day..went from the counselor.. to the doctor... then onto a AA meeting.
Wifey joked " how f@#'ed up are you!!"
I replied "Ha, you're the one that married me! ".
LOL you just have to laugh sometimes.

But seriously..the doc said I was lucky..the liver and kidneys were okay..just.
I got my wake up call and I don't intend to waste it.
Nite All.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:29 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  
Quitter

jberk65...
That's great that the doctor cleared you. It's gotta feel good to not have to worry about that now.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:03 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

I just got back from the pharmacy with some anti-biotics and stuff, hopefully I get better soon. This morning was another tough one.

Hope everyone is doing okay
Old 05-03-2012, 09:07 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Have made it to Day 11

WoW 10 days ago I was begging for this to end. Today is the true test, I have to go to the Dentist for a root canal. Last time they gave me script for Norcos for the same procedure. The temptation is so great right now, quietly I know I have access to the drug that has caused me so many problems. I know I have to refuse, but the temptation is so strong. I wish the cravings would cease so I could stop thinking about it, that seems to be my biggest struggle. Day 11 I feel great, sleeping eating body is healing but the brain is still sick. MAJOR wake up call
Old 05-03-2012, 11:25 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

I have normal liver and kidney function. Just came back from my rheumy. I am grateful and less worried now. My uric acid is very high and the doctor wants me to cut out all beef and alcohol.
I had a killer craving for wine driving back from the doctor's. My AV was saying well you have a healthy organs you sure can afford a bottle of wine this afternoon. I almost caved in but DID NOT and came straight home to cook lunch and I am now getting ready to pick up my little one at school. It was a close call, the craving, and it lasted close to 10 minutes or so. I even made a turn on a street leading to a wine store, 3 minutes later i made a Uturn and headed home where I keep no alcohol.

I am safe now and the desires have left. This disease/dis-ease/problem/challenge is very serious, and little can be accomplished if one is not vigilant IMHO.

NightmareinAZ you are not alone. The cravings/thoughts/obssessions decrease and eventually leave us. I was sober for 6 1/2 yeras and know that. This relapse is showing me sobriety shold be treasured and not taken from granted. Don't give in to the thoughts about drinking. Have you noticed how only nice thoughts are recalled? Don't fall for it. You can do this.

I am picking up my kiddo at school now.....SOBER!!!!!!!!!!