Notices

Class of April 2012 Part 2

Old 04-30-2012, 05:56 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not an AAer but I do know the whole premise is 'the god of your understanding'...which can basically be anything greater than you Natalie...whether it be the Universe, Love, the community at AA or even here at SR...whatever your conception of a Higher Power might be?

D

Last edited by Dee74; 04-30-2012 at 06:53 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-30-2012, 06:37 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NatalieN View Post
I poured a glass of wine and took a sip. I didn't want to drink but found myself doing it anyway. I watched in horror. I closed my eyes and asked for help. I was given just enough strength to pour out the glass and bottle in the sink. I don't know what really happened. I wasn't craving a drink. I was on autopilot. I had one sip only but somehow feel I didn't blow it. I have to amp up my support system. Going to AA meeting at lunch tomorrow since my women's meeting isn't til Thursday. Took my Big Book out of the night stand drawer and placed it next to me on my bed. I don't like the Big Book, too many god references............ Will rewrite a list of reasons why I must stop. There isn't a single reason why I should continue. This is insane.
Stay strong Natalie! Can you get rid of the alcohol at your house? I think the idea of writing your reasons to stop is great. I did that here on my blog and to see all of the things I did while drinking it is obvious to me that I need to stop. You can do it.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:46 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thanks for the encouraging words jberk. You're right. I did not fail.

Dee I understand the whole 'god of our understanding' concept and used the fellowship of AA as my higher power for years. I really didn't go much further than that and that kept me sober for 6 1/2 years. I think I am willing to put forth a little more effort this time. I am attracted to a certain eastern spiritual belief but see it more as a philosophy which does a pretty good job at explaining the origins of life as we know it than as a spiritual practice. Someone suggested 'group of drunks' (god) as a substitution for the word god and I may just give that a try as well.

I am going to bed now. There is no wine in this house. I am safe and grateful.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:48 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Dee, did you say you are or are not an AAer?
Old 04-30-2012, 06:52 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

sorry...typo - not an AAer

in a few hours I or someone else will start a new thread for May...and I'll move this one to our Daily Support Forum.

I'll leave a redirect link for a few days so you guys can find it

D
Old 04-30-2012, 07:49 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Today is day 25 for me, it was my last day of intensive outpatient. Last 2 days I haven't had much energy, especially today. I slept good, took a nap and still dragged my feet all day. Mentally I'm doing okay. I'm pretty sure the pink cloud has passed, but I don't know. Reality feels like its setting in if that makes any sense?

I'm concerned about not having my intensive outpatient group for support anymore, I have all their numbers but its not the same as meeting 3 days a week for 3 hours per session. I need to find meetings that provide better support, and I need to find a sponsor so I can continue to work the steps.

I'm also about to start looking for a job. I'm anxious to get back into the groove and a good routine. Problem is I feel frail. At the end of the day my body is totally wiped out, I have a hard time just sitting on the computer sometimes. It's the worst after meetings, sitting in a uncomfortable chair for 3 hours leaves my body hurting everywhere. Is this normal? I'm 26, 6'1 170 lbs. I am out of shape physically, but I'm so young, I feel like an old man at the end of the day. If I'm working I fear I'll be broken by the end of a long day.

Lately I've been so interested in things again, and it feels like its starting to fade. I don't know maybe I'm just being dramatic today but I'm feeling worried.

I hope everyone's doing good, I know we've had some people having a tough time lately and I feel for you guys.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:52 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hey Dispatches, can you start getting some exercise in your day? I know when I am getting exercise I feel more awake during the day. And I sleep better too!
Old 04-30-2012, 09:52 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Day 3 closing up shop. Feeling content.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:10 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Although I've goofed and drank on a couple weekends this month I am still happy that April has been my most sober month since I was a baby ..lol. I've had 15 days maybe a couple more...where I didn't even take a sip and that is huge for me.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:45 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hi fellow Aprilites, my first week sober ...in such a long time... I never ever thought I'd be able to do It. And I couldn't have done it without all the daily support from you guys and this site. It truly is heaven sent. Thanks heaps.
One week gone bring on the next one!!
Happy Sobriety All.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:48 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations jberk

D
Old 05-01-2012, 04:01 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Thanks heaps Dee, I'm not complaining but do you ever sleep?
LOL ..you're like an "overseas" call center...operating all time zones!!
Thanks for watching over us.

Last edited by jberk65; 05-01-2012 at 04:06 AM. Reason: wrong words
Old 05-01-2012, 04:54 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Dispatches,

We are frail in early sobriety. Everyone is different, but I know for me working would add additional stress to my life that I don't need right now. Sobriety has to be my full-time job. Can you look for a job that is low stress? I agree that adding exercise to your regime will help enormously with stress and fatigue. Wishing everyone a happy sober Tuesday.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:30 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Administrator

LOL off to bed now jberk

have a good day guys!

D
Old 05-01-2012, 06:35 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Day 9 for me, I am a weekend drinker so no worries until Friday/Saturday. I made it through last weekend, I am really enjoying the fact that I didn't have to spend the first couple days this week recovering from a weekend binge. The longest I have made it since I started keeping track at the first of the year was 13 days.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:10 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kittycat3 View Post
Hey Dispatches, can you start getting some exercise in your day? I know when I am getting exercise I feel more awake during the day. And I sleep better too!
Originally Posted by tanja View Post
Dispatches,

We are frail in early sobriety. Everyone is different, but I know for me working would add additional stress to my life that I don't need right now. Sobriety has to be my full-time job. Can you look for a job that is low stress? I agree that adding exercise to your regime will help enormously with stress and fatigue. Wishing everyone a happy sober Tuesday.
Yeah I do really need to exercise. I have a bike I ride and a treadmill I need to put back together. Its just so hard when I have no energy, or when its really cold outside. I started to when I got out of rehab and then I got sick. I have a nasty cold and I make that another excuse not to. I'm going to work on putting our treadmill back together.

As far as the job goes I'm thinking I'll start part time somewhere by the end of this month. I haven't shopped around yet. The big issue for me is not falling back into my old habits. I was very isolated and I hardly did anything. I didn't have much of a life. I'm also tired of being broke and reliant on other people. I don't have to work yet, I just have that burning desire to get back to work. I feel good when I accomplish things.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:14 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Natalie, good job pouring the wine out! Day 11 here for me. Last night at my friends' house was actually fun, most people weren't drinking since it was a weeknight. My husband is still really frustrating me around this issue. I think it may be best at this point to just avoid talking about it with him since I obviously can't expect any active support. One day at a time and we will deal with issues as they arise and not before.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:08 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Natalie..GREET JOB!

I usually flush the last couple of beers AFTER i'm tanked.

Keep up the great work.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:10 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Day 3 here. Head clearing..rebuilding snapses by the second. Feeling better..

on my way!
Old 05-01-2012, 11:46 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Quitter

A little over a week for me without alcohol.
Yesterday, I was feeling healthy enough to get started weight training. Continuing with eating well and exercising today. Feeling better and more focused every day.

Good job everyone and good luck.