Notices

Class of February 2012 Part 4

Old 04-05-2012, 07:27 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Morning All;

A spa day with your daughter, that's great EQ. More so with the time with daughter. Will you be seeing your Grandson after? Either way, you'll have fun I'm sure.

Hate to admit it but I've had cough syrup when not sick but for the buzz...and I have to say, some of that stuff packs a wicked punch. My fav trick though is getting legit prescribed medicine (usally pain meds) and if it said 'do not take with alcohol'...well, you can fill in the blanks...cause I sure can't! LOL A number of years ago I was prescribed sedatives and was popping them like candy. Picked up a six pack and instant black out. Wound up, or so I'm told, travelling halfway across the city to a buddies place and back. There's more but the fact is, I almost died during that run. Seriously. It was that close.

Hope everyone's doing good, JD
Old 04-05-2012, 04:31 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Hi all!

In regards to medication, both prescription and otherwise- yeah, a lot of that stuff is a relapse waiting to happen! Recently, when I was suffering from a wretched, post nasal drip cough that was preventing me from sleeping, I searched the medicine cabinet and found...nothing. This was ultimately good, as it prevented me from having to make the decision of whether or not to medicate myself with something containing alcohol, and my cough wound up being short-lived anyway. Medication does have its legitimate uses, though, and having to choose between suffering symptoms or pain or medicating your pain but fearing relapse isn't a very enviable choice at all!

EQ- Hope you enjoyed your well-deserved spa day! Hope everyone else has had a fruitful Thursday!
Old 04-05-2012, 06:12 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. Day went well. It reminded me of when Dorothy and her entourage arrive at the Emerald City, and they get polished and burnished and made beautiful. Lol

Your story hit me hard, JD. I cant believe i ever drove not just buzzed, but drunk, but i certainly did. I am pretty horrified remembering that. I am so relieved that I will never be driving with alcohol in me, again.

Ive rationalized so much.. Am just starting to dig myself out of years of avoidance...

Well g'night all..... Y'all come back now, hear? Cause this thread is gettin THREADBARE.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:38 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Faustina?.
Boozefree?
Kam?
Meonthemend?
Wildcat?
Others I missed?
Hope you all are fairing ok...
Old 04-05-2012, 06:42 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Administrator

Easter can be a bit quiet EQ - but I hope everyones ok too

D
Old 04-05-2012, 06:53 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

EQ- Glad you had an enjoyable spa day!

I'm giving myself points for getting some things accomplished, even if they are the relatively easy things- grabbing the low-hanging fruit, you might say. I went and got new gym shoes yesterday, something I've been avoiding for quite some time, as I've lost interest in taking care of myself. Seems like a pretty simple thing, right? But at least it's something! I also went to my have my teeth attended to today- not a big thing in and of itself, but I did tell the dentist that I'm tired of a particular tooth nagging me, and I'd just as soon go ahead and have the thing root canalled. She's been reluctant to entertain that option, as the tooth looks fine, isn't infected, and while it's calmed down considerably since she crowned it a year ago, it still doesn't want to get chewed on. It's something I could live with, but I figure if I can have a completely pain-free mouth, I'd like to go for it, even if that does involve an expensive root canal (BTW, to those who've been able to avoid root canals, I found my previous one to be remarkably pain free). I know when my body is hurting, and since chronic pain is a big drinking trigger for me, I'd like to eliminate all possible sources of pain.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:09 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

That all.makes sense to me,.O. And self care is noooo small thing. I am trying to catch up, have had several diff appts but am procrastinating on labs and some f/up tests, etc. Or prioritizing the mess, i should say. Trying to plug fun in too! You should too!

But when I look at last 8 weeks, i have been chipping away steadily, and if i continue at a.modest chip, i will eventually be.much.more.in control of.my.life then.i had been drinking. What a big mess piled up while i put my nightly numbfest as top priority!

Anyway, nice.job with the shoes and the dentist and the.labs. These are the things that add up to giving us continued positive reinforcement for our new.lifestyle.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:27 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Thanks, EQ.

I'd encourage anyone to get physical issues looked into/taken care of if possible. No reason to suffer if you don't have to, especially since, I assume, physical pain can be a big drinking trigger for a lot of folks.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:44 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Thank you EternalQ. Your words are very comforting for me. Thanks for caring. I'm going to concentrate on the here and now and let tomorrow take care of itself - very good advice. 7 weeks yesterday.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:52 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee74. I'm grateful for your caring and advice. I'm definitely going to stay close to these boards. It's good to be around people that are going through the same thing. Glad to be part of the Class of February 2012.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:23 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Glad to have you with us, Meonthemend!

Which, is also, a perfect lead in, to this:
Old 04-05-2012, 11:37 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Way to go, Johnny!

Oh Johnny, i have been meaning to tell you I am proud of you that you did not give in to cravings and go back to pig drinking. Seriously. Glad you thought the consequences all the way through. You've come sooo far in these two plus months! You're a big inspiration. You really are.

Besides, also, on the lighterside, pigdrinker is never a good look for a man.

You've got way more goin on then that!
Old 04-06-2012, 12:30 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Morning all! Am still around and still sober :-) we're up to 33 lambs and they just keep coming so am rather busy :-) will catch up on all your posts sometime soon. Love to all you Febbers :-) x
Old 04-06-2012, 04:50 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Good Morning.

Kam: 33 lambs? Oh my word!! It sounds so angelic and pastoral. "And everywhere that dear Kam went, her lambs were sure to go.."

Time for work. Yuck. Have a good day guys!
Keep on dancin...
Old 04-06-2012, 07:54 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Still here too and still feeling great about what we are accomplishing. Been super busy at work with an upcoming deadline, and also bit off more than I should have on some Spring projects around the home. A bit stressful, but I like being busy/productive, and I know it's temporary. Has really cut into my SR posting, but I'm keeping up with everyone daily and am glad to hear how well everyone is doing.

3 months for me tomorrow... Woo Hoo! I'm supposed to be in the Jan class, but got held back . Actually, I hang out there some too, but didn't discover SR until February, and didn't want to crash their party. So you all inherited me Have a great weekend and a Happy Easter!
Old 04-06-2012, 08:34 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Morning;

O...nicly done on tackling the small things. I'm slowly realizing that's all Life really is, a chain of small events. Baby steps is how I'm taking it. It's enough for me as it's still early days. We've got the rest of our lives ahead of us to deal with the bigger stuff. Give yourself all the points you want O, you deserve each and everyone of them.

MEONTHEMEND...don't know if I can speak for the class, but I will anyway...we're all VERY glad your here in the Feb class...congrates on the 7 weeks!!!

EQ...you know, it's kind of strange but in the past, while deep into a binge, I always thought of myself as 'tragiclly hip' and that the drinking was cool. Looking for sympathy?...maybe. Feeling sorry for myself...definatly! I cringe when I think about my mindset 'back then'. What helps tho is KNOWING that that was then, and this is now. I honestly like the now a whole lot better.

Kam...don't have to say it but I will anyway...33? HOLY CRAP!!! Sounds like fun but I'm sure it's a lot of work.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:48 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

sorry, ran out of room

Wildcat...I hear you loud and clear with the spring projects. I'm just about finished mine for now, just waiting for the weather to catch up in order to continue...planting and such. Still have to go up on the roof and investigate, waiting for daughter to help with that one. Actually, we use "roof repair' as an excuss for the view. Congrates on the 3 months.

Dee...you rock!

I've been mindfull of SHALT lately, being aware of how I'm feeling day to day, hour to hour. Still sort of up and down but that's OK with me as long as emotions arent extreme.

Happy Easter everyone! And keep chipping away at the small stuff.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:58 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

I think sobriety is messing with my math skills. I meant to say 6 weeks. Thanks for all the encouragement everyone. I like you people already.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:25 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Hi Guys,

I'm glad everyone is doing so well. Congratu;ations to all of you! Well Done!
Old 04-06-2012, 03:07 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Johnny- I'd never heard the term "pig drinking"- I like it! You don't even have to know what it means to know what it means (if you know what I mean).

Just returned from my medical appointment- all my tests came out fine. This, crazy as it sounds, was a bit of a disappointment for me- I was kind of hoping to see a concrete reason behind my relentless fatigue. Not that I'm NOT grateful -and frankly, a little surprised -that my liver tested normal- who would have thought? That poor organ has seen a LOT of abuse, but it continues to come through for me. Now I just have to work on continuing to feel, and do, better. If that takes painful decisions, well, that's what it takes.

Kam- That's a fertile bunch of sheep you've got there! Do sheep often have twins? My family raised goats when I was growing up, and twins were more common than singletons. Sometimes triplets, too, but they didn't tend to do well.