Notices

Class of February 2012 Part 4

Old 05-21-2012, 03:22 AM
  # 481 (permalink)  
Getting Healthy

Parties for me = I drink too much and do or say dumb things. Hugs tri girl! Way to stay strong!
Old 05-21-2012, 06:09 AM
  # 482 (permalink)  

Hey, February folks! I am back with tail between legs this morning. I managed to pull together a couple weeks of sobriety in March (after a couple weeks then relapse in February). I am now paying the price for a 2-day binge. I feel like crap. Not sure if I can work today - not even sure that I can drive anywhere today. Oh, man. A couple of you kind souls asked me to come back.

You all are inspirations, so here I am. Wish you all were here so I could get a group hug. Tears are starting to fall so I'll stop rambling.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:22 AM
  # 483 (permalink)  

Woo Hoo,.Lilac is BACK!

Here we are doing our happy dances! Some of us dance better than.others!
Old 05-21-2012, 07:53 AM
  # 484 (permalink)  

Welcome back Lilac!!!

Good morning guys! Well I'm ready for another work week. Looking forward to a 3day weekend! Decided I need to switch up my drink options from soda n water so bought some lemonade n vitamin water this morning. Now that I'm feeling better I'm back to trying to eat better. Too much fast food! Every morning I've been praying to remove the diaries to drink just for today and I haven't had any real bad cravings yet. I know those days will come tho and instead of drinking will post about it instead.

Trigirl sorry to hear about the party situation. As for right now I'm avoiding parties and that group of friends I had bc I know I'll be too tempted to want to drink.

Have a good day everyone!
Old 05-21-2012, 02:48 PM
  # 485 (permalink)  
Getting Healthy

Lilac is back!!! Wahoo!!!
Old 05-22-2012, 03:21 AM
  # 486 (permalink)  
Getting Healthy

Is there a honeymoon phase for recovery? I'm on day 7 (woot woot) with no real urge to drink. I've had a few minor cravings...like thinking I wanting spaghetti and meatballs bc it goes great w Cabernet Sauvignon.

Also, for the amount I drank ( I could easily pound down 2 bottles) I would have expected withdrawal. I felt a little bit of anxiety. No shakes or anything.

I guess I am just counting my blessings.

Does this mean I had more of a psychological addiction vs physical?
Old 05-22-2012, 03:39 AM
  # 487 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sometimes I had bad withdrawals, sometimes no discernible signs at all...
I'd be glad you've had a good week Orbea & I hope it continues

D
Old 05-22-2012, 04:39 AM
  # 488 (permalink)  

Orbea...I can second what Dee said about withdrawals. Sometimes I've had them, sometimes not at all (except for just feeling hungover). Today, I woke up feeling relatively normal, rested and ready to hit the gym. And I poured 2 bottles of vodka down my gullet between 2pm Saturday and 6:30pm Sunday. There have been other times when that would have had me withdrawing (sweats, shakiness, etc) for a few days.

We all have different bodies. Instead of distinguishing between physical and psychological addiction, it may be better to just admit that one way or another, you have a problem with alcohol. For me, those kinds of distinctions open a door to drinking again.

Have a good day, everyone!
Old 05-22-2012, 06:50 AM
  # 489 (permalink)  

Orbea first of all huge congrats on the week sober!! I am the same as Dee mentioned, sometimes withdrawal was worse then other times for me.

Day 9 and feelin fine. Haha that's about as good as my rhyming will get. Anywase did my morning usual work out with the dog hoping to loose weight and get back in shape. All the beer I've drank over the past 10yrs really made me gain some weight. The past 2 nights I've finally been able to sleep without getting all sweaty which is nice. I did have some crazy dream last night about meth and some DEA coming after me and I woke up all freaked out.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:01 PM
  # 490 (permalink)  

Still here. Still trying to figure out how to get out of my funk. I'll come back & play when I'm a little more fun to be around. Hope everyone's having a great week!
Old 05-22-2012, 05:23 PM
  # 491 (permalink)  

Trigirl, post to us when you ARE in a funk. Be yourself with us. It starts here.

Bf, orbea, and lilac: fantastic job. Really impressed with you, Ladies.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:47 PM
  # 492 (permalink)  

Trigirl I agree with EQ it's good too post when your in a funk!

EQ what's new with you?

Just got done eating dinner. I had a huge craving on the way home from work but instantly made up my mind that I was not going to drink. Now full and ready for a lil tv and sleep.

Dee haven't heard much from your either? How have you been?
Old 05-22-2012, 06:52 PM
  # 493 (permalink)  
Administrator

lol busy BF - but fine!

D
Old 05-22-2012, 07:14 PM
  # 494 (permalink)  

Thanks for asking, bf. Last night i went to a ball game. I was glad no one drank any alcohol. I was acutely aware of the fact that if it was last spring / summer, i would have had to gulp down some straight vodka before going, and then drank a couple beers at the game, (at probably 8$ a bottle no less) and more vodka when i got home. I would have been acutely aware that i was drinking and others were not and i would have felt like they were watching me.

Yesterday i told a work friend that i had stopped drinking, as, we used to go out drinking sometimes and she was suggesting it again. I was a little anxious telling her. Turns out, she had some worries about herself, and had stopped drinking during the week, just on weekends. Also, in thinking of what else we could do, we discovered that we both are huge film buffs, and we are very excited now to meet up at the theater and be movie buddies. We wouldnt have figured that out if i hadnt quit drinking so that was a very pleasant surprise.

Otherwise i am super busy at work. I also have hired somebody to help me with a problem in my house that is stressing me.

I remembered something from the Allan Carr book that Id forgotten but it helped me. It sets the tone for the addiction being the substances fault so to speak, as opposed to me feeling like i am being a weak immoral person when i crave a drink. So im trying to get back in the mindset of objectifying the alcohol, so it detaches from me. That way when i crave, instead of thinking jeez what is wrong with me, i try to think, that the alcohol is calling me AGAIN and who the hell do they think they are? I told him we are done forever! (like a toxic relationship). Get lost, Loser, I deserve better. Dunno if that makes sense but it is my latest trick. Lol
Old 05-22-2012, 07:18 PM
  # 495 (permalink)  

I just wanted to check in and let some people know that i had a ROUGH day at work. I was yelled at by 4 people within a 2 hour period. The people who yelled were not people who are bosses - i am a contractor and self-employed. They weren't clients. They weren't defendants in one of my many criminal cases. They made personal attacks on my competence and one caused me to be late to court.

After the 4th one accused me of not doing my job and telling me all sorts of other baloney stuff, I cried (only after she left...when people attack me from a highly emotional and groundless standpoint, I get super-cool, calm, firm and logical).

Then I turned off the lights and locked the door to my office so I could get some written work done. I left early. The thought of drinking was there, but I was indignant: then those people would win. No way. So I came home, vented a little to my husband and went to the gym for a second workout. The little victories can be so sweet.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:21 PM
  # 496 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EternalQ View Post
That way when i crave, instead of thinking jeez what is wrong with me, i try to think, that the alcohol is calling me AGAIN and who the hell do they think they are? I told him we are done forever! (like a toxic relationship). Get lost, Loser, I deserve better. Dunno if that makes sense but it is my latest trick. Lol
Like a toxic relationship. I love it. Like the people I dealt with today at work. Their misery is not mine. Likewise with booze.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:24 PM
  # 497 (permalink)  

Lilac, that is AWESOME how you responded. You are too smart to fall for that crap from those people (and that crap from Ms Alcohol) and i am very impressed.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:27 PM
  # 498 (permalink)  

BF, i forgot to add: way to go for you too! Knowing what to do to in order to guard your sobriety from those rude cravings is HUGE!

WHATEVER it takes to guard your sobriety, you DO it.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:27 PM
  # 499 (permalink)  
Administrator

Time for a new thread

we continue here:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-5-a.html

D