Notices

Class of March 2012 Part 2

Old 03-25-2012, 11:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Class of March 2012 Part 2

we continue from here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...2012-a-21.html

for those of you who don't know how this works, the current month threads stay in this forum until the end of the month - then we'll make way for the April thread here, and move the March threads into our Daily Support forum with the rest of the old monthly threads ...

This thread will stay open - all that changes is the forum

I'll let everyone know when the time gets closer

D
Old 03-26-2012, 01:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Random Guy

I get to be first Yeah me! I haven't checked on everyone elses status this weekend, as I only have internet at work. But I had to jump on this chance to be the first on the Marchers thread part duex Still chugging along Today is two weeks, which is the longest I have ever been sober vollentarily (however you spell it). Had some flaws in my thinking/wording on some of my past posts (not necessesarily here) pointed out to me via TU that is going to give me some food for thought. I have the basics of how AVRT works down, I just have to apply it more throurghly and think about my way of thinking more (if that makes any sense). But either way still sober, and going to stay that way. I hope everyone else made it through the weekend okay, and now i am going to find out by reading up on what I missed.

Happy Monday!
Old 03-26-2012, 02:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm second - lol! Welcome to all the new Marchers!

All good with me - great weekend, very good meeting yesterday. Quit smoking cold turkey on Saturday which.... is not going quite as well as quitting alcohol as I had two cigs last night. Oh well, better than the 20+ a day I had been doing.

Day 24 for me, though :-)
Old 03-26-2012, 04:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone! I hope everyone is feeling well today... as for me I feel great even though I've been sick (flu like allergies) since last wednesday. It has been the first time that I've been sick since my withdrawls about 3 weeks ago and in a way I'm glad I got sick! I know that sounds strange but it has been good to know that it's just a regular sickness and not a hangover! I was actually able to drink a ton of fluids and not be ultra dehydrated. When I was drinking daily I'd drink when I was sick and it would make it so much worse. Where's the logic in that?? So waking up this morning I still feel a little stuffy but I can tell it's passing...

Also-- I got my daughter back on sunday/mondays now... was dealing with a custody issue with my ex and we managed to resolve it for the time being and I just spent the entire day yesterday with my kid. Going to take her to school in about an hour... I love her so much. We spent some good time together yesterday cooking and watched a movie together... went to bed at a good time and now we're up early ready to go. I thank god for this huge gift of sobriety! I want it so badly.

Happy monday morning everyone... I look forward to see you all on this thread for a long time to come!
Old 03-26-2012, 04:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome vj99, Reviving Ophelia and Eliasson.

@Jobei, I used to drink when I was sick too. Whisky was my cold cure...it never worked but gave me an excuse to keep drinking.

Does anyone else still feel a bit hungover when they wake up? For the last week or so I've woke with a bad head, really thirsty, and in the usual confusion of waking up I have to check my memory to make sure I didn't drink the night before. I guess this happens to normal sober people too
Old 03-26-2012, 06:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This is me in here, then, please. Do I get a badge?
Old 03-26-2012, 07:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
Does anyone else still feel a bit hungover when they wake up? For the last week or so I've woke with a bad head, really thirsty, and in the usual confusion of waking up I have to check my memory to make sure I didn't drink the night before. I guess this happens to normal sober people too
Not sure how it is on your side of the pond but over here there's a lot of pollen early in the year due to the unusually warm weather... my allergies definately give me that slight hungover feeling that you described. It is such a relief to wake up and realize it's NORMAL and not from drinking isn't it?
Old 03-26-2012, 08:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Three weeks today.

Did a couple of stupid things and on Sunday said mean things to a girlfriend that totally didn’t deserve it. I then told her I needed to disappear for a while. Sunday night the 4th of March decided that it wasn’t me talking so I decided to kick out my old companion alcohol.

Two days later I found SR because all of the sudden I time to cruise the Internet for the purpose of general reading. The past 3 weeks have been great. I feel I have all the time in the world. I get more sleep, wake up ready to go and GO! My head is clearer and my business is getting done. The sun is brighter and I’ve dropped 9 pounds. (Apparently alcohol cuts you fat metabolism down by 73% after just two drinks,,, and I did 4 – 6 drinks nightly.)

The God of my understanding does not ask more of us than we can take on. After two weeks of feeling better than I have in many years I get a call from my ex wife on Monday morning (the 20th) stating that my 15 yr old son wrote “Good Bye” in blood on the bathroom mirror and tried to OD on 52 tabs of his anti seizure medication. He is ok now under observation in the Mental Health Ward of the hospital.

Point being…. three weeks ago I could not deal with this.. I could not be there for my son in even half the capacity as I have the past week. The next year is going to be intense for him and I’m going be there with him every step of the way… 100% coherent. The trauma of this event has only amplified my desire to remain dry. I thank God every night and every morning for the blessing and clarity of sobriety.

I submit my membership into the Class of March.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jobei View Post
Not sure how it is on your side of the pond but over here there's a lot of pollen early in the year due to the unusually warm weather... my allergies definately give me that slight hungover feeling that you described. It is such a relief to wake up and realize it's NORMAL and not from drinking isn't it?
Years ago I was always missing my stop on the Underground, and put it down to the booze. But then when I had a period off I was still always missing my stop on the Underground.

Turned out that booze or not I was just the kind of guy who missed his stop on the Underground.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

@Jobei, Apparently there's a lot of pollen about but I'm not really prone to allergies. It may be a sugar hangover from all the chocolate I'm eating though

Originally Posted by MarkstheSpot View Post
Years ago I was always missing my stop on the Underground, and put it down to the booze. But then when I had a period off I was still always missing my stop on the Underground.

Turned out that booze or not I was just the kind of guy who missed his stop on the Underground.
I'm discovering stuff like this too Mark. I always thought my tendency to procrastinate was down to the constant hangovers but apparently not. Though to be honest it's hard to know what is 'normal' for me seeing as this is the longest time I've every been sober since I was a 13! Welcome btw

Welcome to DrummerBoy too. So sorry to hear about your son, that must have been awful. Glad you're here with us though
Old 03-26-2012, 12:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Drummerboy, Welcome! So sorry to hear about your son's suicide attempt, but so glad he's still here and you can be there for him 100%. Wishing you and your the son the best in the days ahead.

Marksthespot, Great to have you here!
Old 03-26-2012, 01:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm still here. We're having warm weather in the UK at the moment always more tempting to hit the beer garden :/ Been OK so far. . . .can't lie and say I haven't been tempted but I got to stay strong
Old 03-26-2012, 01:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Jobei and Drummerboy.
Congratulations on having better relationships with your child(ren). DB,Will say a prayer for your son and he will be fine. Staying away from alcohol/drugs helps those situations. Maybe someday domestic relations courtless will understand that these poor children deserve two fit parents on an equal basis instead of granting parental custody to one parent and making the non-custodial parent a visitor in the childs life.
Oh wait, if they allowed total shared custody and did not make one parent a vistor/villain in the childs life the Social Security act Titlr IV-D Act money could be abolished and the court system, attorneys, judges, magistrates, GAL's, etc., would all have to drive domestic vehicles and send their poor kids to community colleges instead of Harvard...... THIEVES!
Keep up the good work Fathers and keep fighting the fight for the true "best interests" of your kids!
Old 03-26-2012, 01:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good luck with your Son DrummerBoy, sending good thoughts
Old 03-26-2012, 02:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to our newcomers over the last few days
Prayers for your son and your family drummerboy - good to have you with us

D
Old 03-26-2012, 02:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Still sober since March 8. My roommate's birthday was Saturday and there was a bottle of red wine. Red wine isn't my thing but i could smell the alcohol. I didn't crave it but the fact that i could smell the alcohol bugged me. Besides that all is well. I woke up early and got some exercise time in on our stationary bike. Feels good to be sober.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:55 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Just checking in. Makes 10 days today. Been busy moving out from the wife but am wrapping it up today. I have to develope a good routine to keep the boredom away. Congrats to everyone for their progress.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:49 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Random Guy

Well this was at the bottom of the forum so I thought I would bump it up for any other newcommers to see and get in on. Our little class has swelled in the ranks twords the last but of the month. Welcome all you new cats that I dont recognize and there are too many for me to want to write down right now. I look forward to learning about you all and reading about your journies through this crazyness .

As for my weekend I went to a bar Friday night to play some pool, for those who don't know I like almost any form of game even if I am no good at it. Pool however is one of those that has a special place in my heart as it has never bothered me getting soundly beaten at it, if that happens I have no bitterness only a respect for the level of play that I just saw, so I really like playing it. I had been going through a fairly hectic week and was sleeping at the office but said to hell with it I am going out. I drank coka a cola all night with no additives and played my fairshare of pool. I even sang a bit of kareoke, I think that is the first time I have done that sober. I closed the night out at around 0400 in the morning and went home to bed. Not a bad night I enjoyed it to an extent, it was a little akward not drinking but not as bad as I expected it to be. I suppose that is also because I have no social circule here that knows me as the drinker that I was so no one to say "what your not drinking?".

Well I am going to stop before I really get going as I tend to go off on tangents for a while. Glad to hear that everyone is doing well.

Also Tobo where you at bro? We need a status update. How did you make out over the weekend? Don't be bashfull if it isn't good, remember I origionaly joined in the November 2011 month it took me this long of miserable dissapointment to figure this stuff out and I am still learning.

Okay really done now. You stay classy Marchers.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:23 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Good day. exhausted even though had a great sleep, 1 hour walk over the former 'the drinking time' then home. Good times
Old 03-27-2012, 07:20 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Finally made it past a week today. A few weeks ago, I posted on the forum how I counldn't make it past day 3 or 4 lately. Well, here I am, feeling so good about a wine- free, sober life that I can honestly say I don't EVER want to go back to my former ways.

Made it through a few cravings over the weekend and now I feel secure in knowing how to handle them. Before, I didn't even try. I didn't want to deal with the discomfort.

I am already feeling that peace in my life that I have been missing for a long time now. I don't think I'd be here if it weren't for God, SR, and the books I have read over the last several months. This site has given me a true picture of addiction; what it looks like and where it can lead you. I will no longer walk down that path of destruction.

Anyway, just feeling good today and wanting to share.

Phils, thinking of you as you go through this difficult time. Glad to hear you are filling your time well.

Cardiff, stay away from those beer gardens! You'll be able to enjoy the warmer weather more if your sober.

Onward Marchers!