Notices

Class Of January 2012 Part 5

Old 03-16-2012, 01:47 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're ok PC but prayers and good wishes for your neighbours.

D
Old 03-16-2012, 02:50 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Hello Friday night! I have hated Friday night for the first 8 wks. This weekend, I'm excited about going home, playing w/ my daughter, hope to wash my car tomorrow, enjoying the nice warmer weather tomorrow w/out a hangover! Woot woot!

I am 62 days now & what a difference.
I must admit I caved on day 17 & smoked. Only a couple a day so far. Guess I need some more sober time before I tackle that nicotine monster. It's a whole lot easier to quit smoking than drinking. Smoking doesn't "change" me.

Hope all have a blessed SOBER weekend
Old 03-16-2012, 02:53 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Administrator

^ awesome!

D
Old 03-16-2012, 06:04 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Purple Cat - I am so relieved you were not in the path of destruction. My prayers to those who have been affected. God bless you all.
Old 03-17-2012, 04:41 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Good morning all

St Patrick's is here and a part of me wants to hide in my bed the whole day and another part wants to try to enjoy the celebrations sober and be happy that I am sober. Had a difficult day yesterday, Dazee-the cravings hit me like a brick as well. Had to go on a day trip by air for work and I was surrounded by people drinking, like in an unexpected manner so I had not prepared for it. Having the middle seat on a full plane with the person to the left drinking red wine and the one to the right drinking bear and not being able to get out of there just freaked me out a bit! I used to love drinking on planes so a weak spot for me...

In addition it was a long and hard day with no time to eat and I have for sure learned that hunger and exhaustion are not a good combo for feeling good in sobriety. Felt like my mind was taken over by a record which got stuck and just repeating drink drink drink.

Am not going to stay in bed today, I met a women in AA a week ago with long term sobriety who seems to know that this holiday here is difficult for newcomers to sobriety so she contacted me to go for a coffee today, I really appreciate that...

Not sure if I will go to the big party tonight though, not that I think I would attack a bottle, I just feel really uncomfortable around alcohol right now. Might just stay home and eat some of the massive amounts of candy I bought in the airport shop last night :-) Quite sickening amounts but it felt like a way to fight the cravings

Thanks for your comments and support all and for just still being in this class and I hope you have a wonderful day!
Old 03-17-2012, 06:40 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Good Morning Class and Happy St Patrick's Day...I have my Irish meal cooking for later..gonna enjoy this day listening to my Irish music and thinking about my Aunt and mom who always loved this day (they did not drink) made it so much fun with food, Irish music, parades, laughs....of course the rest of us added the drink..lol...Its a beautiful day here!! Gonna get my green on...Have a great day, everybody keep up the good work!
Old 03-17-2012, 11:07 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Quick check in, day 65

Feeling a bit down today, Going out for a ruby tonight with Mrs and some friends, these friends are ok, both drinkers and both do not know I do not drink anymore, feel a few questions etc coming on, bit boring after a while. Plus Today I have real bad cravings again at day 65 ffs I am driving and I know once I am there I will be ok and all will be fine, its the build up to it plays on my mind all day. Gotta grind through these early months no matter what, sober is the new drunk and I feel cool for being that way, just feel like I am surrounded by a world that is obsessed with alcohell, today I was trying to think how many years it would be from now before alcohol is seen for what it is and looked upon as tobacco is now, maybe in my lifetime who knows ?

Biological Effects of Alcohol Use, Michaele Dunlap, Psy.D
Old 03-17-2012, 03:44 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Administrator

DD I think everyone has thoughts of drinking again - it would be easy to recover if we didn't

The really important thing is what we do with those thoughts - and you've been doing well - don;t be too hard on yourself

D
Old 03-17-2012, 05:50 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Hi Class, I'm so happy to read about everyone's strong resolves and successes. My visit to my family was difficult because many of my immediate and extended family members have serious health problems. It's very worrisome and discouraging. I got through the visit without drinking and in spite of all the bad news, I had a wonderful visit with my two sisters. And I didn't drink!! And I shared how good I felt with my sister who needs to cut way back on her drinking. (My other sister used to have serious substance abuse problems) Anyway, I just think that every situation I can get through w/o drinking "breaks" the habit a little more. And those are my wise words for this evening. My family and I were trying to figure out why St. Patricks Day became a drinking holiday. It's crazy.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:36 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  
Administrator

way to go Katrinka

D
Old 03-18-2012, 03:39 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Good morning, class. Hope everyone had a a great St. Patrick's Day. Off to work - feels like Groundhog Day (the movie ). Big plans for today - washing my filthy vehicle....now don't be jealous Sober Sunday wishes to everyone!
Old 03-18-2012, 03:52 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  
So it goes

Morning class, glorious sunny day here, makes you want to go all Julie Andrews, and sing the Hills are Alive.
Katrinka, I think St Patricks day has become a drinking holiday cos at least in UK , it didnt exist as a celebration until the drinks industry had another date to pin things on. Just wait till they get at Halloween.

DD hang in there, I know how hard it is to avoid those not having a drink with someone you have always drunk situations. To tell the truth I have been avoiding them. Mind you that probably means not drinking with anyone in a 50 mile range...

NBC Groundhog day is a brilliant film. I may dig it out and watch it this evening
Having 8th sober weekend here, and loving it. Just thrown out a pile of NA beer, dont see the point in it, just like decaff.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:26 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Good morning class I ate to much yesterday!....but how many calories is there in cabbage..teehe ~ Katrinka good to hear all went well, nonblondechef would you wash my car pleez, Dd hang in there bud. Billy, I love Bill Murray, I love that movie he tries so hard to get it right when he realize what he needs to do to get him out of that day/his rut, in the end he finally does and his life changes.....hmmm thinking I can relate Limbo, Dazee, PCL,PC, and the rest of my Jan. class, hope you have a great Sunny Sunday I am gonna do some errands/shopping today....
Old 03-18-2012, 08:40 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Happy Post-St. Patrick's Day, everyone. It sure feels nice to greet it without a hangover this year. Not that it was ever a special day for me, as I didn't need a holiday to give me an excuse to drink until I passed out.

I'm not sure how many days it has been, but I sure like myself better as a sober person. I was missing out on far too much in life. Now to go out and enjoy this beautiful weather ...
Old 03-18-2012, 12:52 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Congratulations Billy! It's gorgeous here, too, and I know all the songs to The Sound of Music. I was once a nun in the play, not THE play, just the one my local theater company put on. Wearing a habit in July on stage, whew!

I went for a long walk and I just felt wonderful, healthy and energetic.

At church this morning I realized that instead of praying for myself (oh please God help me stop drinking I promise I won't drink anymore blah blah blah) I was concentrating on people who needed my prayers. Instead of feeling yucky because I drank too much wine the night before, I felt great. I sing better. I didn't worry that my hands are shaking or that I smell like wine.

Have a wonderful day and week ahead. Yay team!
Old 03-18-2012, 03:27 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Loved reading everyone's updates just now. DoneDying, I always look forward to you checking in :-) Going to have a very lazy night - a little grilling, catch up on my dvr shows, a little reading and call it a day. Congrats to everyone for all this success - I love it!!
Old 03-18-2012, 04:02 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Hey all! Great day going here-81 days now
One day at a time
Old 03-18-2012, 06:46 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

By far the best day-after-St. Pat's I can recall. Glad to hear so many others enjoying a hangover free Sunday as well! Had our first softball game of the season tonight and it was the first time I'd played sober in years. We're not in an ultra-competitive league, but have fun and there's typically quite a bit of boozing pre-,mid-, and post-game. Thought I might not enjoy myself as much as I used to, but found it to be the opposite. Felt relaxed and looser (oddly enough), and had more fun than ever. Have a great week everyone, and keep up the good work!
Old 03-18-2012, 08:28 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  
God's work in progress

Glad to hear everyone had a good, sober St. Pats! I survived as well. It was actually my 17yo son's birthday, so we went out to eat. Yet another sober holiday is behind us, probably the toughest one of all. Kudos to everyone on this milestone, I'm sure the more "firsts" we get through without alcohol, the stronger we will become!
Have a super sober Monday friends, and keep going strong. I know I will!
Old 03-19-2012, 02:53 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Good morning class

Fab to read how well everyone is doing and how we are overcoming adversity, it is not easy all the time but I am learning the importance of one day at a time. Helps to break it down...

Wildcat, just loved the comment that there is pre-,mid-, and post-game drinking in the softball, that just sounds so insane! 2 months ago I would have said that it sounds like my kind of game but now that is just bonkers :-)

Here things are good, it was not the best of weekends but with great parts in it. Spent my day yesterday listening to some AA speaker tapes while fiddling around. I recommend them; AA Speaker Tapes : Listen To Alcoholics Anonymous Speakers

At first I must admit I was trying to find tapes by people I could identify with, preferably some one exactly like me -who is a newcomer to recovery and a woman in her thirties. Took me a while to realize that the speakers here are the elders, people with long term sobriety whose stories are amazing and that I am full of ageism not appreciating what they have to teach me.

Hope you have a wonderful day all, L