Notices

Class of February 2012 Part 3

Old 02-28-2012, 07:30 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Hi All!

I am SO proud and SO inspired by every single one of you. Thank you for all your great posts.

I am at work, and people are asking me about my trip. With a few people when I told them bout going to the Speakeasy dinner theater I snuck in the line that neither my Dad or I are drinking. I don't like saying it. I don't know why.

just a phase, probably, that I am feeling less proud of it and more bummed about it. lol. But no worries. I can feel whatever i want about it as long as I don't do it. I will feel proud of it again. That will come around. Hope it is soon, though.

I can't believe how much self-pity holds hands with drinking. I guess that is why they say: "Poor me, poor me, pour me another drink."

Old 02-28-2012, 07:33 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Earth Child

Feeling shaky not so good think i need to go to an AA meeting tonight
Old 02-28-2012, 09:44 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Hi all. I am way behind with everyone after dealing with my father's funeral and out of town guests. I did not remain sober, but nor did I go on any crazy bender. Not my style anyway. Had a glass, or two with in-laws, and then did polish off the bottle later, but over the entire day/evening. I was just so tired. And I did drink when I watched the Oscars, the first night I had without anything to do, and without company here, after dad's death. That was too much(what was left of a double bottle, more than 750ml)., and I was dizzy and a bit hungover yesterday. So, here I am on a new day one. But still in the February club, right?

I need to lose weight! I am up a couple of pounds, and I know it is from drinking and eating my sorrows away. Comfort food and wine...

How is everyone else doing?

well, the apple does not fall far from the tree. It was downright scary to watch my brother's alcohol consumption at the lunch following my Dad's funeral. I actually only had a glass of wine there, and did not even want more. I was anxious as it was, and hate any jitters above and beyond that.

Brother seemed to have a drinking buddy there. A friend, but clearly they have a bond over sitting by the bar. My sil was accepting that brother would get drunk that day, knowing he has a problem. I think maybe he controls it to a degree. I really do not know. We are not close enough for me to know his day to day. It was a problem some years ago, his wife had confided to me. We have not really had any more heart to hearts over it.

Anyway, when I was leaving, brother had a beer, some sort of whiskey on ice, and a chaser of drabui(sp?) lined up on the bar. This was after some beers, and other whiskeys. In honor of dad(Crown Royal). Now, mind you, my dad was a tea-totaler. he has one or two high balls on Christmas eve, and 2 beers on a sat night. That was all he ever drank. So, my brother uses the typical alcoholic logic to drink himself silly on the drink my father liked.

Not judging him, but it was sad to me, and scary. He was drinking so very much. And lord knows how his friend was getting home. Brother's wife was driving brother.

Hoping to move forward and get healthier.

Dad's lingering in the nursing home was a huge stress for me. I already have some peace over it. I just notice I have less anxiety and am EXHAUSTED. Just craving sleep and healthy food. It has been 4-5 years of helping him. Yesterday, I was able to turn off the ringer in the bedroom, because I no longer have to worry about middle of the night emergency calls.

I may even have time to get a job! But am giving myself time to fix the house up and rest and be healthy. I need to heal.

So, wish me luck.

rochele
Old 02-28-2012, 10:38 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Hey all,
Sorry am so behind, will catch up later. Fell off for a couple days...but I'm not giving up. Back on a better path, and just keep on trying.
I think I am overwhelmed with where to start to look into real concrete ways to honestly change the warped path my brain takes me...

Day 1 take 1001

rochele- I'm glad to see you posting, and I'm just getting myself back to working on sobriety. Thinking of you.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:51 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Made it a week. Feeling pretty good, but sleep is becoming more of an issue. It's hard for me not to have racing, anxious thoughts when I lay down. I always make the mistake of missing that window of opportunity when I'm really tired, then I am in some weird suspended state of being awake after that. I need to remember to go to bed when I am tired, and not lay in bed on the computer or reading. I keep waking up sore, when I do get to sleep. I think my body is used to being all elasticized from being drunk
Old 02-28-2012, 11:26 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Hello everyone, day 14, I start training for a new job tomorrow, while I still work the job I am going to be leaving at night, schedule is going to be tight for a week.

Everyone who recently fell off, welcome back!!!

Everyone who stayed sober today, congrats!!

Sorry so brief.

Here's a quote I read it is in latin, and I want to share it with you all..

Affectus, qui passio est, desinit esse
passio simulatque eius claram et
distinctam formamus ideam.

translation-"Emotion, which is suffering, ceases to be suffering when a clear and distinct idea is formed." Hhhhmmmm
Old 02-28-2012, 11:31 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Natty-That is exactly how i thought and felt too! Regarding the sleep, thoughts, missing the window, and the soreness. The soreness was unbelievable. I didnt know what to think. But it went away. Plus the pain in my shoulders (that i used to tell myself I drank just to relax them) which was a chronic condition, is gone. It is gone! What the heck! You are doing a terrific job!

All of you are!

Rochelle, so glad you are back! Yes i remember distinctly when i first could turn off my phone at night after several years of being called by my Dad, hospitals, and the hospice in the night (since I was decisionmaker for my Mom.) It was strange, but it was such a relief, too. Really proud of you.

Logical: You keep right on marching with us, Soldier Lady! We need you.

Boozefree: you are a total inspiration. You have come SO far.

I will have to get to the rest later.
You guys are amazing, truly.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:06 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

JohnnyD- If I offended you, I am deeply sorry, I never would do so intentionally. I to have father issues, my father never gave me a second of attention growing up he was usually drunk, surprise!! I was so uncomfortable in his presence, still am. He doesn't drink anymore, and he turned into a wonderful grandfather.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:09 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Thanks, EQ. Knowing that the soreness isn't just me makes me feel a LOT better. It's so annoying!
Old 02-28-2012, 02:50 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back rochelle and LP

I hope the meeting will help you guys, DA

D
Old 02-28-2012, 02:57 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

22 days of liver appreciation! Perhaps a strawberry, liver shaped cake will be in order soon! 7
Old 02-28-2012, 02:59 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Double post
Old 02-28-2012, 03:15 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Evening all! Welcome back to u guys who've not been around and congrats to everyone for trucking along. Tonight I tried knitting for the first time since I was a kid. Safe to say I am not a natural! Many dropped stitches and my mum said I looked like I was waving a magic wand around - not a good look! Anyway it was fun to do something with her and we had a good laugh which is something that's been in short supply in this house lately. Also an hour and a half went by in no time at all so it's definitely a good distraction activity! I like that small things like that make me happy these days Had a panic cos my comp has been playing up and the screen went black with a scary robot face earlier so I thought it was doomed and I wouldn't be able to get on SR but thankfully it rebooted ok!
Old 02-28-2012, 03:29 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Hi Kam,

I think I'm going to you-tube some basic stitching techniques for patching and reinforcing. Handy skill to have for fixing tents, backpacks etc. I am pretty clueless on the process and maybe could even turn into a little hobby. I'm sure knitting is quite a bit more complex though!

In regards to the back screen with scary robot face... does your computer have a virus?
Old 02-28-2012, 03:35 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Last edited by Shackles; 02-28-2012 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Big lag 3-4 mins
Old 02-28-2012, 03:41 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Hi Shackles,

My mum makes knitting look so easy but she's really struggling to do it slowly enough to show me! Think I'll be having a look on you-tube too. Comp seems fine now. I fell asleep with it on the bed last night and think I was pushing random buttons cos it's been making weird noises and not letting me hit the same key twice today. Just rebooted it and fingers crossed it's OK. Would not like to cope without my laptop!

Ps strawberry liver shaped cake sounds excellent!
Old 02-28-2012, 03:42 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Hi Shackles,

My mum makes knitting look so easy but she's really struggling to do it slowly enough to show me! Think I'll be having a look on you-tube too. Comp seems fine now. I fell asleep with it on the bed last night and think I was pushing random buttons cos it's been making weird noises and not letting me hit the same key twice today. Just rebooted it and fingers crossed it's OK. Would not like to cope without my laptop!

Ps strawberry liver shaped cake sounds excellent!
Old 02-28-2012, 04:04 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

oops! double post!
Old 02-28-2012, 10:24 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Rochelle and LP glad you guys are givin it another try!

Well my presentation went really well tonight. I am a lot more clear headed now that the brain fog is gone. Only 2 more weeks of classes for me woohoo! I've been in a good mood lately and my co workers are even making comments about how positive I am now. Sobriety is the best gift I could ever give myself and I am so grateful for my 23days sober.

Germanos still around? He really inspired me to get off my butt and get exercising!
Old 02-28-2012, 11:10 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Administrator

way to go BF

D