Notices

Class Of February 2012 Part 2

Old 02-22-2012, 05:47 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  
Administrator

give it time EQ - essentially we're changing our lives - that's gonna take more than 2 weeks

welcome zymski

D
Old 02-22-2012, 06:01 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  
Getting Healthy

Hi classmates! Welcome to our newcomers! I read through the posts...not easy reading and posting from phone.

Seems like many of are anxious. I felt nervous this afternoon. Took my HR via iPhone app. It was like 90. Last night it was high 60s low 70s. I had more caffeine than usual. That probably contributed to anxiety and HR.

My hubby is facing going back to work next Monday. He's starting to act more quiet and depressed. He sees psychiatrist tomorrow.

My urge tk drink is becoming easier to deal with as the days go by. I still get daily urges, but they are lasting fewer minutes. My first week of quitting was rough..,my waves would last like 3 hours.

I'm not really super religious, but giving up wine for Lent makes me more eager to stay quit.

Hope everyone sleeps well tonight!
Old 02-22-2012, 06:13 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

HF I'm at the beginning of my sobriety. But your friends if they care about you will understand if you can't join them on this occasion. I would suguest that you give them a ring and schedule a sober gathering with them. It's going to be really hard not to drink especially if they all don't know that your sober now. But if you do go stay strong and maybe give yourself a time limit.
Good luck and do what is best for you
Old 02-22-2012, 06:19 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  

D,

Thanks, I know you're right, it's just confusing because the last two weeks have seemed like an ETERNITY! Lol

And I'm starting to feel that my constant vigilance AGAINST using alcohol is just the flip side of my constant need FOR alcohol... It's obsession either way.

It's hard being a beginner at something again, especially something so basic. I feel a bit like a child... But, I will be able to swim in the deep end eventually... And not have to remind myself how to swim as I do it!
Old 02-22-2012, 06:40 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was obsessed with drinking for a long time - and then I obsessed about not drinking for a little while too...but it gets better

using the ocean metaphor - soon you'll just be swimming EQ and not thinking about it.

D
Old 02-22-2012, 06:53 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EternalQ View Post

It's hard being a beginner at something again, especially something so basic. I feel a bit like a child...
Hey EQ - sometimes I feel that being drunk is basic and sobriety is living behind enemy lines.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:10 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Read this tonight;

"Drink Beam and see a better class of bugs"
Stephen King 11/22/63

made me laugh
Old 02-22-2012, 07:48 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Sorry to be so short, but trying to catch up on the studying I've been slacking on. Err....no excuse other then my concentration has been shot- I'll get it down but I should have already.
Thank you SO much everyone for your kind words and support. <3
Welcome new classmates!!

Had a decent day, back totally on track. Got a good run in, so really same old same old. Nights are hard as usual, but I had some moments after the gym where I really felt that I had to work on learning to let go of the past. How to totally begin that, I'm not sure...but at least I can consider it. I struggle w/feeling I don't deserve to ever get a reprieve b/c of the horrible choices I made...but all I can do is work to improve myself and my life and to be able to give back and improve others lives in the process. That I CAN work to make happen, instead of obsessing over the past I can not change.
You all all wonderful and it really cheered me up and was heart warming to read so many amazing things from you all. So grateful.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:31 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Feeling very numb tonight....like someone drained all of the emotions out of me. At least the anxiety, anger, sadness, and paranoia are gone for the moment too. I think I'd feel a little better if I felt SOMETHING, but maybe not.....

5 months from tonight, I will be an Ironman. It's all I'm thinking about right now. Training can be my main addiction for the next 5 months.

Welcome, new friends! Glad everyone else seems to be holding up fairly well. Would love to sit and write comments back to so many posts from the past couple of days, but I am so tired I can hardly think.

Sweet dreams, all.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:35 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  

There are so many posts here, its hard to catch up! Looks like February is holding strong

19 days
Old 02-23-2012, 12:56 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Thanks, JohnnyD and Dee and others too.

JD, your quote was funny and quite a few other times you've made me laugh... Like when you said you need a flow chart to keep track of everyone...

Here I am again with my sleepless rendezvous with soberrecovery.com. It was 15 middle of the nights ago I found it by accident when I googled insomnia and alcohol withdrawal on my phone from bed. Who knew this was all waiting behind the veil?

It is encouraging to hear people riding the waves of their feelings but not attaching and identifying too much to any one emotion. I need to get back to a meditation practice. I know this would help me immensely.

In the space between rolling emotions, lives Grace.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:50 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  
Fdm

Day 3 begins. I had a somewhat restless sleep last night. I have a car repair looming over my head on my beloved suv.

Funny, like the last time I quit, I don't really miss it as long as I find something to keep me busy in my danger time zone of 5PM to 8PM.

Yesterday, it was attempting to diagnose a coolant leak. I hope car repair doesn't become a routine...lol.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:05 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Great going, FDM. Glad you kept busy last night.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:25 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Good morning, all. Glad to see some new folks here and glad to see others doing pretty darn well!

LP: I can totally relate to not feeling like you deserve a reprieve. I keep messing up and often feel that I've screwed up so many times that there is no hope for me.

I drank again yesterday. What is wrong with me that I can't stick to sobriety? I was having a panic attack. The alcohol numbed me. The somewhat good news is that I had 2 drinks and then fell asleep. I tried to drink again when I woke up but it tasted horrible so I dumped it.

I woke up early this morning and am about to head to the gym, even though I feel on the verge of another panic attack. I really want to just get through a full week without alcohol. I really hate myself right now for not being able to follow through on sobriety.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:58 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Lilac, is there any reason you can't check in several times a day with us? i know you really DON'T want to drink so I am wondering if you can check in with us and write about your panic, or lack of it, a couple times a day, BEFORE you drink?
Old 02-23-2012, 06:03 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Rise29

HF I'm at the beginning of my sobriety. But your friends if they care about you will understand if you can't join them on this occasion. I would suguest that you give them a ring and schedule a sober gathering with them. It's going to be really hard not to drink especially if they all don't know that your sober now. But if you do go stay strong and maybe give yourself a time limit.
Good luck and do what is best for you
Old 02-23-2012, 07:55 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

EQ: that's a good idea. I am checking in now...did a 50 minute cardio workout at the gym then some stretching. It felt good. I am still feeling a little tightness in my chest from anxiety, but it's not as bad as it has been lately.

I am also reminding myself to stop and take a few deep breaths every now and then. I am nervous bc I have an event tomorrow evening and facing people lately has been near impossible. But that's tomorrow...I won't worry about that today.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:57 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  

So, starting over. I pulled my usual stunt of saying "well you made it x many days, you deserve one!" and one became many.

Again, I don't fall into the category of someone who downs a fifth before starting a day, but I am starting to believe more and more the definition of "if it screws up important things in your life, no matter how much you drink, it's a problem."

Monday night went to have some wine and ended up finishing the bottle and totally screwing up the next day for school. Took off Wed to try and get my head straight.

So I guess this is day three. Time to try again!
Old 02-23-2012, 08:12 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Lilac, and Bikes, good job! We can do this together if we support each other. You can always say in the shorterm for business that you can't drink for health reasons etc. That is not a lie when the health of your life is endangered. Its our top priority or all other aspects of life get unmanageable.

It's the truth. I, too, never got a dui, never lost a job, etc etc from drinking BUT i LIED to myself alot and HID HID HID my drinking life from many of the most important people in my life. I don't want to live a lie anymore.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:14 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Bikes:

It is PAST time for us to try. It is time for us to SUCCEED.