Notices

Class Of November 2011 Pt 5

Old 02-12-2012, 06:51 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Resident Curmudgeon

During the course of my brief sobriety, I've come to the conclusion that we care much more about our drinking status than 95% of our friends and acquaintances. That is a good thing.
For example, I met a friend who I had not seen in maybe 4 months for lunch on Friday. When I walked in he was sipping a large local craft beer. I ordered a lemonade (it was 25F. after all) and we chatted about the local beer scene and he asked if I wanted a beer. I declined and he asked if I suddenly didn't like beer, to which I replied that I liked beer perhaps a bit too much and had not had a drink since November. He simply nodded as if to convey "no big deal' and we moved on to other topics much more interesting.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend, classmates.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:56 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

It's true. I think if anything, people are impressed by our choice not to drink, and if they really care, it's genuine interest. If they think anything but that, that makes them an a**hole. Simple!
It's spring break, (already, I know), and we have a wicked week of lounging in luxury suite by the ocean and snowboarding on Vancouver Island. Oh goooood, it's going to be nice to just RELAX, and not stress about drinking, when're we going to drink, when's everyone else going to drink, how much can I drink with out looking like a total lush, you know the drill. Just chill and read and do NOTHING, for a week. Drinking takes so much energy.

Oh yeah- I went to the GYM finally yesterday!!! Ahhh, finally got my ass there. Am so sore today but it feels GREAT.

I'm right behind ya tigger!
Old 02-12-2012, 01:12 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Hi guys! I'm trying to shorten the amount of time between my posts, but no promises ; )

Tres: Do you think you could set some ground rules with your hubby that lowers his intake?

Marine: I'm sure you are not scary : ) Maybe that lady is just shy.

Take care : )
Old 02-12-2012, 01:43 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Hi Ninjas,

Just checking in as I make dinner….an obviously early dinner; this is what the cold weather does. lol.

I agree with the current conversation, I think most people really don't care whether we drink or not. I find that many think it is cool that we don't drink. They are kind of fascinated. Remember, it takes discipline to abstain….from anything. Right now I'm drinking a San Pellegrino, and remembering how much the overall quality of my life has genuinely improved since I stopped drinking.

Hope you all have a good and sober night.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:10 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I agree. Others really don't care if we drink or not. I am heading out on the road again tomorrow for the week. Have a good, sober week everyone!
Old 02-13-2012, 05:24 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Happy (?) Monday everyone! Beginning another week without a hangover feels pretty darn good. Thanks to everyone for your thoughts re:meditation. I'm looking for some classes in my area.

Tigger - I go to alot of those type of functions and it has been getting easier with each one that I don't drink at. The only tough part is when I run into a colleague who just expects me to be drinking with them.

Have a great week everyone.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:39 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Hey all, Doing great on the Monday. I was crabby all day, but went for a 3 mile jog tonight and feel a TON better.

I have talked to my hubby in the past and its actually a lot better than it was. He has stopped drinking during the week but the weekends are still a bit of a problem. He hasn't been sick or even hungover, so I know he has slowed down on his intake.

I see my therapist tomorrow. She has not seen me since I stopped drinking 105 days ago. I am really excited to talk to her and ready to focus on other issues. Mainly me and then our marriage.

I sometimes just wonder if I would be with another mate had I been sober all those years ago?? We met at a bar, drunk. We have partied throughout our entire marriage.So I am trying to figure out me...and now I wonder about him.. We have a lot of things to work on. THings arent terrible, and they could be a lot worse. Its just something we are going to have to work on. We really don't have a lot of same interests. We have completely opposite religious views. I am very spiritual and a Christian and he is not. Lots of arguments have gone on about that. We got married in a church, but cant believe I got him in there with the way he talks now.

Lots of things to work on. I am happy, just wish we were on the same page sometimes...I get tired of doing things by myself or just with my daughter. I feel worried that once she grows up and moves on, what do we do then??

Ok, I will quit rambling..No urges to drink, so thats a good thing!!
Old 02-13-2012, 04:58 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I am in a great mood. I was doing pretty terribly for a bit there but my doc changed up my meds again and I think they're doing what they're supposed to be doing.
We're off on our holiday tomorrow, can't WAIT!
Old 02-13-2012, 05:02 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have a great time IP and marine28

I'm sure you'll figure everything out down the track Tres

D
Old 02-13-2012, 07:14 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Craving wine tonight while out with clients. Big time. Thought about how far I have come, thought about all of the negative things about drinking, could think of nothing positive, then asked myself a "do you honestly think you could have just one". And the answer was NO. I know I can't. So sitting there at the bar with them, I ordered an herbal tea. And it was quite nice!c
Have fun IP,
Tres, I think you will discover a lot in therapy now that you are sober . Good luck!
Old 02-14-2012, 10:57 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Hi guys. Doing okay here in PA. Waiting for winter to end

Tomorrow I go on my first business trip being sober - I should be fine as after work I plan on going back to the hotel and working out. I usually don't do dinner wiht anyone. Scientists are as a whole not social beings lol.

Tres - sometimes even if you're sober when you meet things happen and you look at that person and think. No way I would marry you now. But there's something to be said for time together and so you work on it. But if you've never been sober in the relationship and always in a fog I'm sure coming out of it has been eye opening. I know for me everytime I'd get upset or dicontented I'd drink more just to "make it go away" Now that I don't I have to deal more with the parts of my SO I don't really care for. It's going to be an interesting year.

Marine - good job on resisting - you're entering the hard time when you might start to think "I can have just one" - but you're right - you've proven to yourself that you can't so hang in there.

Well off to Cambridge tomorrow morning - take care all
Old 02-14-2012, 03:24 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Happy Valentines Day to everyone!
Old 02-14-2012, 05:09 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Happy Valentine's Day. No cravings today. Only for that big box of chocolates that I got. They sure taste better sober.

The therapist went fine. She said she was so proud of me. She thought I was still drinking. We talked about how good I have been feeling and how my eating and excersising have improved. We talked about my relationship with my hubby and gave me an assignment of going away with him for a weekend or one night. Alone,no friends, no drinking...it sounds great, and I will talk to him about it. Will need to find someone to watch our daughter. I think we can do that.

Not much else happening here.

IP , have a great time!

Trigger, thanks for the words of encouragement. Try and have fun with those scientists. You are right,they aren't much fun socially. Your Florida trip is right around the corner!

Marine, hope you are having a peaceful evening.

Dee, thanks for checking in with us all the time.

Anyone heard from Jay? Guess we are getting too boring.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:48 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Tres - sounds like you are making progress. Tigger - be glad your colleagues aren't social - its a lot easier if they are not in my opinion. These trips are hard! iP - have fun. And yes, Dee, thanks for always being around.
We might be a boring bunch, but we are a sober bunch!
Old 02-14-2012, 08:01 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone,

Happy Sober Valentine's Day!
Old 02-15-2012, 04:34 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Resident Curmudgeon

Good Morning-
I haven't posted in a few days, so thought a quick check-in is in order. Wish there was something BIG to report, but things have been pretty quiet around here and I'm quietly doing what I usually do. Even progress on the kitchen remodel planning has hit a lull.
It sounds like the core November group is doing pretty well and I'm in awe of everyone who is managing to stay sober and travel...that has to be a hard job and I have my doubts I could pull it off. Nice going and keep up the good work.
You guys all rock!!
Old 02-15-2012, 05:22 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

I agree Bimm with these travelers. I think that would be very difficult.

I had a fleeting thought today as I was crazy busy at work..it was that voice......"I cant wait to have a drink tonight."

The thought went away quickly.

Therapist wants me and hubby to do date nights too. I have been trying for two days to find a sitter and have had no luck. The gals I used in the past have all gotten jobs and are super busy. The neighbor that used to do it suggested her 15 yo brother....I am not so sure about a 15 yo with an 8 yo girl. I don't care if they do go to church 3 times a week. I don't think its a good idea...don't think hubby will go for it either.

Why is it so hard just to go out to eat with your husband???

Hope all of you are doing great.

I signed up for a 5k run this weekend...just to make myself do it. Its been about a year since I ran one. At least it keeps me accountable to not think about drinking on Friday night.

Night Ninjas.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:51 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

I made it thru another day. Gotta say that if I can spend two nights in South Beach
without drinking, I can do anything. I am now in Kentucky where the only available food in the hotel was at the bar since I got in so late. I ordered an O'Douls while the woman sitting next to me ordered a BOTTLE of wine. Said she keeps it in her room. Everyone else drinking bourbon. Finished my "dinner" and came back to room, where there is a coffee machine so I made myself some tea and am trying to relax a little before bed. Big day tomorrow- speaking in front of a large group and then of course, cocktails and hors d'oeuvres after. Who didn't know that? Good to hear from you Bimm!
Old 02-15-2012, 11:19 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
- Motivated -

Hey my peoples. I'm still around It's 2:15 in the morning so technically today is Day 98. My sisters want to celebrate Day 100 but I'm a little "meh" about the whole idea. I came into some unexpected money this week and the first thing I wanted to do was go to the liquor store and "celebrate". This one hung on for a little bit. I didn't immediately think "No, I'm definitely not going to do this" but in the end I made the right choice.

Still doing my gym thing, as usual. Going on my trip to Myrtle Beach in about 9 days. Getting really excited. Also might be making some really big life changes soon. My girlfriend and I are really serious and she'll be going to school in SC for two more years and I'm trying to move there. Submitted my resume there and have looked into some places there. She's the reason I'm moving but the idea of a brand new place, fresh start, new people, new job, etc excites me too. I've lived in various places in this state but never anywhere else.

My puppy is growing at a ridiculous rate and her energy keeps going up, up, up. She's gonna be the size of a Clydsdale. And she gallops around this small house like she thinks she's the size of a ferret! Today she ATE me cell phone charger. This was the most upset I've ever been with her. I really didn't wanna spend that $40. So I go out to get a new charger and I come back and her paws are blue.... I have no words. I don't even know what she got into. There's ink on the floor so I'm thinking maybe she chewed through a pen? Oy.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:11 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Morning Everyone,

Day 89 here.

Marine, I agree with Bimm and am also in awe of you for remaining so committed to your sobriety amid a minefield of wine and booze. You rock.

Jay, smiling and thinking of the visual of your "puppy" romping through the house; glad to hear you are happy and doing well. How cool is 98 days? Really.

I've been hanging in….feel kind of boring, all I do is work, commute, and make dinner. BORING. Oh well, that is what is going on. I feel good, family is fine, and everything in my life is better than it was a year ago. I'll take boring. lol.

Have a good and sober day everyone.