Notices

Class of July 2011 Part 5

Old 01-15-2012, 10:45 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Eyes Open, No Fear

@VC - I know! I loved them when I was younger too. Now....I dunno the last few years or so I just feel like there is so much real horror I just don't wanna see it for entertainment too!

As far as movies, Twilight - meh. and I loved the books! War Horse sounds pretty good though. Have a great date night.

here too, nothing exciting. Hubby leaves friday for 5 days at a conference for work and I am busy obsessing about how I will fill my single parenting week. NOT looking forward to it at all.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:18 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi All . . . things here are up and down (and all around for that matter). Still trying to get back to that 'good place' I was at for so long. I got myself out of a dark place this morning - it was just a few hours. Be well all!
Old 01-17-2012, 12:29 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

Would it help to vent Stuart? That's why we are here if you need.

Things turned pretty cold here yesterday........finally getting a winter. Ick. But every day is closer to spring, right?

Kat, you still around??

I still miss Elvis.

Check in Julians!
Old 01-17-2012, 03:56 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Eyes Open, No Fear

yeah well it's -46 with the wind chill where I am. The high today was -32! can you say deep freeze?

I miss Elvis too - I hope he is ok and just doing so well that he forgets to check in.

Stuart - I second VC's thoughts, wondering how you are doing as well
Old 01-17-2012, 03:59 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

I third them Stuart

D
Old 01-18-2012, 06:41 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Cerb . . . -32???? That is NEGATIVE 32?? Ouch. That's friggin cold.

But you knew that already.

Thanks for the offers to vent. Let's see. My daughter's been tentatively diagnosed with a personality disorder. So, pretty serious stuff. We have started the motion to get the school more involved, meaning, providing some services to get her help. THis is all very tricky however. They know what's the right thing, but opening up the purse strings is quite a different matter. In the meantime she has really, really good days (like yesterday) and then things are back to the same old same old. This morning, my wife went to wake her for school at the pre-agreed time of 6am. D told W she was too tired to get up. D asked me yesterday to sign a permission slip for a field trip. I did the whole 'school attendance has to take precendence over this' blah blah blah. I, of course, was being unreasonable. So, this morning, I went in and told her no school for the next week, no field trip. We had an agreement that only my W would wake her, so, I violated that agreement. Note: sticking to the agreement has had little impact on her getting to school. So I broke it this morning. Fast forward to 7.45, she's in the school parking lot, 32 degrees with 2 tee shirts on (and it was winding) and she was telling me how ridiculous I was to have come into her room to wake her for school. Looking at her shivering in tee shirts calling me ridiculous just made me laugh. I know, it was inappropriate to laugh and she called me on it. I said, that when I grow weary of crying, all I can do is laugh. Oh well . . .

And W and I were filling out a questionnaire for D's psychologist last night. One of the questions were mother's stressors and father's stressors. My wife put down something about 'finding balance for my needs and my family's needs'. I put down career transition, my marriage and my daughter. W 'felt sad' that I noted that my marriage was a stressor. WTF - we only talk about marriage counselling every other week or so and it's a surprise that my marriage is a stressor? Really.

Anyway, how's that for a vent? And these are just two moments of craziness in the course of days on end of the same stuff. and I think, Holy Crow . . . and I'm not supposed to drink through this??? And I know the answer . . . that drinking through it will not help and only make matters worse.

there, I think I'm done. And despite all this, I am feeling pretty well this morning.

Thanks all for listening. I do hope that Elvis, Kat and others are ok. It would be nice if they dropped a line from time to time.

Be well, be strong, be sober!
Old 01-18-2012, 06:55 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

That's a lot of things Stuart. Big heavy things. Do you have a counselor? Just for you? It would be nice to be able to vent ftf about all that is going on.....

You are correct in that drinking would just add more to the pile.....keep taking care of yourself first and foremost. One thing at a time, right?

Big Julian hugs to you. :ghug3
Old 01-18-2012, 08:36 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Thanks VC. Yes, I do have a therapist. At the very least, he affirms that there are some strange things afoot. My wife just seems to have such disconnects between her thoughts and what she thinks she's saying. It's very odd and at times quite disconcerting to observe it. Taking care of myself . . . trying to . . . like they say at the start of flights, in case of loss of cabin pressure, put your oxygen mask on before trying to help others. Trying to. See ya. . .
Old 01-19-2012, 08:35 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Eyes Open, No Fear

Wow, stuart that is a lot going on. It does sound like you are doing things well though. At least as well as possible and it seems you have a pretty good handle on the way things are going. Not that it makes it much easier, does it? You are right, you do need to take care of yourself first or you are no good to anyone else.

Of course marriage is a stressor! I think it can be even at the best of times if you are doing it right, lol. Any time you are in such a close relationship with someone there is a lot on the line and that can be incredibly stressful. Maybe your wife realizes that too but still, it makes her sad. I can see that.

Anyway, rambling here. I hope things even out a bit for you soon. Keep on taking care of yourself.

Hope everyone else is doing well too. Here, I am fine. Hubby leaves tomorrow for a 5 day business trip so I am a bit stressed about that but over all not too bad.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:33 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

That's right, the hubby leaves soon ha Cerb? I think you should do something nice for yourself if possible.......go see a chick flick.....get a massage.....something? Course I don't know how old your kids are or how busy life is for ya.......I just know when my man goes away for his guy things like hunting, I treat myself at least once.

It is still cold here, at least it's above "0."

Stay warm peeps. Keep moving forward.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:03 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Eyes Open, No Fear

i would so love to do that, VC. my kids are a bit too small though. 4 and 7. But we are planning a 'girls weekend' together. Do nails, bake, shop, you know

I am actually going to be ok with it this year. last year I was a bit of a wreck about it.

it's still -34 here. for about another 5 days too . boo cold snap
Old 01-21-2012, 11:36 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hello everyone,

Thought I'd check in as it's been ages since I've been here.

Things have been very quiet for the past while. Spent most of the last few months running my head off and planning races to run in.

Europe was fun although I chickened out on flying home from Amsterdam and ended up getting trains and ferries back as I totally hate flying and couldn't have been assed with drugging myself to get through all of that.

Landed a new job in December and I started last week and it's been great so far.

In terms of drinking I've finally realized that it's better to spend my weekend nights actually trying to further myself in my career rather than feeling sorry for myself and resorting to a bottle to drown it all out.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:43 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Eyes Open, No Fear

((ELVIS!!)) so good to see you

Big congrats on the new job, I hope it is going well. It is really great to see you back here, we were all thinking about you and wondering how things were going.

I think your realization about drinking is one we all have come to or need to come to if we are going to make it. I hope things are going well for you in this regard, too.

stick around!
Old 01-22-2012, 06:42 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

I know I've left it a while to post but we have been having a really emotional time over my last slip and as usual I shut myself away from the world for a while.

I am doing okay I guess but the depression hit me again, mainly because I was so disappointed and angry at myself, and also Nick was getting depressed too and he means more to me than the world so we have been basically sitting and having long chats about our future and everything or avoiding each other when we get to upset to talk. I am really struggling at the minute, and you guys are the only ones who really understand what I'm going through.

We had a great talk today though, he wants us to re affirm our wedding vows later this year and then wants us to start thinking about having children. I have to cut off some of my friends now that have become triggers for drinking again, because if not he swears he will do them serious harm if he finds out they are still asking me to go out drinking with them.

to be honest I'm not having the best time at the minute, I just feel lost, I need to get to a therapist but we just don't have the money right now for it and the depression is getting worse.

I don't know what to do guys, sorry for being a bit of a downer.

Kat xxxxx
Old 01-22-2012, 06:57 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Administrator

good to see you Elvis - you too TheKat.

I wish I had suggestions for therapy on a budget - but I'm afraid I don't.
Others may tho

D
Old 01-22-2012, 10:47 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Hello everyone. I had a small victory today... I had hurtful family moment.. Not necessary to go into but it broke my heart and I had quite the cry. I was pretty much moved out of it all and and on to other things when I realized that I never thought of a drink when I was so upset. A smile appeared on my face :-) Tomorrow is 6 months.

Kat, I hope you feel better. I had a brush with depression when I went through my divorce. I wrote "I am Happy" just about everywhere I could see it. I started to believe it. Exercise and taking my vitamins probably helped too. Keep talking about it... Or writing about it. That is about all I know. I'm cheering for you and thinking about you.

Great to see you Elvis.

Wish the weekend wasn't over.... Have a great week everyone!
Old 01-22-2012, 11:39 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on getting through that and on 6 months meet me sober

D
Old 01-23-2012, 07:28 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

meet,

Congratulations on 6 months with no booze!
This is a great accomplishment.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:03 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

ELVIS! You disappeared and I got worried. Glad to see you here!!!!!! I even tried your IM address but it did not work..... hope you hang around again!!!

MeetMe, WTG on 6 months.......

Kat, leave that slip where it belongs, in the past. What's done is done, right? Look forward to good things. If things get too bad maybe a doc can work with you on the cost. I don't know much about Spain.....but you can't afford not to, ya know? Keep us posted here. We all understand and care.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:23 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Hey Kat . . . I'm feeling for ya! My wife and I have conversations that sound similar to your and your husband's . I'm not so sure if ours are quite that optimistic though. And I have to keep telling myself that the drink will not help anything. It only makes it worse. Hang in there.