Notices

One Year & Under Club Part 6

Old 01-05-2012, 08:41 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Were you a runner before you started training for that race Frances? I've been trying to break the barrier of "casual runner" for a long time. How did you do it?
Old 01-05-2012, 08:59 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi IP....I could never get past 3 miles on my own and I hated it.

September 2010, I signed up for a 12-week "Couch to 8K" class that ended with a local 8K race. The community and coaching made it fun.

From there I took a half-marathon class that started Feb 1, 2011. I realized a month in that I simply couldn't keep up with the class and keep drinking. Alcohol and running DO NOT MIX. My body hated me for it.

(Things had just started to spiral because my husband was traveling for business and I was LONELY and drinking.)

I decided to quit March 1 hoping I would get some extra energy and better sleep to devote to the training. It worked and I kept going.

I am running my 4th half in 2 weeks. The group I run with is KEY. And having races to look forward to is REALLY important.

Hope this helps! Ask any question you want. If I can become a distance runner at 44, anyone can.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:10 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Yeah Frances my dad did a complete turnaround at fifty and went from fat heavy drinking stress-case to a fitness NUT- he is over sixty now and is the healthiest person I know, teaches spin classes, etc. He is an inspiration to many and proof that it can be done but I STILL have trouble sticking to any kind of regular schedule. I know that I have it in me and I have heard before that running clinics help and there are a lot of them in my city, I just find them incredibly intimidating. Also now that I'm in an intensive program at college I don't know if it will be a waste of money. I think that the most realistic option with my schedule is running first thing in the morning, but I almost NEVER feel like doing that. The weather here is really uninspiring. Rain, rain, rain. I know, I know, excuses, right? I'll check to see if there's a once a week class as I'm pretty sure that's all I could fit in. Thanks for the tips Frances
Old 01-05-2012, 01:20 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Great to see you back Frances....and well done on 10 months!!!!! I will give Wee Man an extra hug when he comes back from his dads next week. :-)

Today is a day for getting paperwork in order before I start work......ugh....I hate paperwork and government departments, but...... hi ho hi ho......off to work I go!

I find I always get a little fidgety coming up to milestones, no idea why as inbetween I do not think about it. A little over a week and it will be one year...weird.

Have a fantastic day Undies!!
Old 01-05-2012, 08:35 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Another post...what a shock, dont fall over anyone

I have to say, I love love love it that I can go down to my fav coffee place, and find a good friend there, my sister and nephew there, and then at least 2 other peeps I know stop bye for a hello. Sooooooo much better than a pub or bar, and I dont get many hangovers from coffee.

I lovely way to spend an hour or so......(sometimes much longer heehee) outsid ein the sunshine chatting and chilling with friends.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:17 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Three in a row folks.

Surely someone has something to share??? I laugh, a cry anything????

I got wet today, the skies have opened and it has been pouring rain on my lovely summer. My hair is sticking out in all its wavy curly shagginess!!! Aparently it is cute like that, but ....ugh whatever!

Hope you are all happy....hugs

Old 01-06-2012, 07:19 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

hope you have a good weekend Manz - stay out of the rain!

D
Old 01-06-2012, 07:50 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Well I was going to say that I'm happy because I lost the holiday weight that I gained. But then we went out for my 8 year olds birthday just now. He wanted to go to a certain buffet restaurant.

Let's just say I think I gained it all back. I always eat too much when we go there.

Oh well. The upside is that its another mile marker. Another sober birthday celebration with my family. Fun times.

But back on the weight thing. I have been watching what I eat and walking every other day or so. So that's good. I forgot how good it feels to get out of the office from time to time. Get some sunshine and fresh air and just forget about work for a little bit. I think it's helping my sanity too!

Have a good weekend everyone.

T
Old 01-06-2012, 11:48 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

ttqttfg- you lost the holiday weight ALREADY? I wish! I've been doing waaaay too much sitting around lately considering the vast amounts of calories I've consumed in the last month. Keep saying I'm going to get to the gym but haven't yet. Gonna try to get out for a run this weekend.

I was just saying over on the november thread that I've been craving like crazy lately. Thinking that it would be worth the consequences to just have a drink or two. Seriously? Am I that stupid. But I feel closer to relapsing these days than I have since I quit. Somes words of advice at this point would be really appreciated. Feeling a little freaked.

Anyway off to bed undie onedies. Sleep well all. And good morning too.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:02 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hello < one year thread...

After checking my sobriety statistics, I realized that I qualify for this thread. Sooo, if you will have me, I would love to join the journey toward one year with this group? Always a thrill to throw a graduation party, or many!!

I joined SR in Nov 10', however, a summer fling with that sly, cunning, ruthless, and somehow attractive looking bottle, has me back, re-approaching 4 months on this "final" sober journey. Yep, IP, thought I might only have a couple...in my case, it was to take the edge off. Well, i managed to made a circle out of that rough edge, and was free-falling in the hole it created once again.

I've clawed my way free from that hole, and life looks and feels better than it has in a very long time.

I must dash for now...yes, it is true....i am literally off to the gym, then, looking forward to watching my alma matter kick some serious butt...

I look forward to learning more about, and from, all of you!

Carlos
Old 01-07-2012, 08:26 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Welcome IWLSAST. Glad to have you in the group. Thanks for the inspiration.

Well IP there's kind of an answer for you about those "what if" thoughts. I know I had those and still do sometimes. They're getting less frequent for me.

I just shut those thoughts down and remember the stories I've read here on SR. There aren't many that turn out good. Most are like IWLSAST story. One drink one weekend and years later they're back to trying to sober up again.

Sorry IWLSAST not picking on you. Just a good reminder to us all and inspiration to not give in.

Hope you both have a great sober weekend!
Old 01-07-2012, 09:02 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

IWLSAST, welcome!

Hi TTQ And everyone I might miss!

Manz! What day is your anniversary! We need to plan a huge cyber-party! I will start by asking you what's your favorite cake and frosting? Remember it's cyber so it has no calories and you won't feel sick even if you eat three huge pieces.

IP, don't drink. It's not worth it. The "just take the edge off" Alcoholic Voice for me is a LIAR. Every time you tell it no and then ignore it by living your life, it gets a little weaker. Keep it small and weak. If you drink, it will be big again. Just my $.02 from 10 months sober.

On creating schedule and routines for fitness, it's just one more piece of creating a sober life for myself. My drinking got in the way of things, held me back, kept me scared, tripped me up. Now I'm building the mental muscles to do hard things sober, get through them, succeed, pick myself up and keep going.

Someone else said that life sober isn't easy, but it's life. (Or something like that.)

No unicorns or rainbows for me--I never even got the Pink Cloud that some get in early sobriety. But over the weeks and months, I'm creating a new work life and am achieving some incredible-for-me fitness goals.

Yay! Have a great rest of the weekend Undies!
Old 01-07-2012, 04:04 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Welcome IWL(hope you dont mind the abbreviation, my fingers need a break!) glad to have you here, and a timely reminder for IP.

IP....just keep remembering what happens when you have one or two, it never stops at one or two and very quickly all the great you have done for yourself slips away and feels like it never ever happened.

I too had a slip of about um.....5 months... because I thought that I could safely drink in a "normal" way. I do not know what normal is anyway, but I certainly was not able to stop once started and it very quickly got far worse than it had ever been.

I am happy to say, now, almost one year of sobriety done, that life really has not been better. Like frances says, no unicorns or knights in shining armour, life does remain just that...LIFE.....but it sure is a darn sight better than it has been in many many years. I am happy to wake up each day and see what there is in store ffor me, sure of the fact that whatever it is, great, good or not so good, that I will be able to get through with a smile on my face(mostly) and certainly not ever having to rely on booze ever again.

PHEW! I only stopped by to say Hi ..... so

Frances... my date is the 15th Jan.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:18 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the "welcomes"!!

Wow, just joined, and a graduation coming up 1/15...dyno, Manz.

I know as a practicing alkie I would have extreme highs...followed by extreme lows...sooo, i needed to drink to get back up there....and so on....etc...

Living sober, the highs are less frequent...but when they hit, i know that they are real...nothing artificial. The types of lows i would get following a serious over-beverage are completely gone. Now, when I get down, I just sit back and realize how much less baggage my brain has to contend with. Oh so enjoy living life again in the "normal" range.

Gotta boogie...hosting a family brunch that includes 26 month old triplets....now those dudes are almost always flying...on life!!

Talk soon....Carlos
Old 01-08-2012, 08:33 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Hi guys.

There's an amazing natural forest park nearby that is criss-crossed with trails. I am going to go running there today with my dog and hopefully that will make me feel awesome again because I am stuck in this funk!

Thanks for the advice you guys it is really what I needed. No offense to IWLSAST but I do not want to end up back here in a year, two years or a month doing this all over again. I know from the past ten years that drinking gets me absolutely NOWHERE in life. The few and far between "fun" times are not an equal trade-off to the misery that drinking causes in every aspect of my life.

I think what is happening is that I'm plateauing, sort of. I did experience the pink cloud and now that it's gone I'm sort of depressed because just not drinking isn't enough anymore to make me feel "great." I'm going to try exercise. I'm not in the habit of it because I've been a gardener/landscaper for years and have gotten 8 hours plus of cardio and lifting everyday up until a month ago when I quit to go back to school. (One amazing result of quitting drinking.) I've been pretty spoiled with never having to think about going to the gym. But it's becoming a necessity DAMN IT!

I've gotta get going, have homework and lots of chores to do.

Thanks for "listening" guys. I'm going to persevere and not give up.

Have a great day.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:53 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Hey IP.

Yeah I went through the depression too. Really bad at times. But that's becoming less and less frequent too.

Keep it up!

T
Old 01-08-2012, 09:59 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Yeaahhhhh, so I went to the park, started running, felt fantastic, got two minutes in and sprained my ****ing ankle. Had to go to the clinic and everything, it hurt like hell. I was so mad!!! Because I sprained my OTHER ankle last year, really badly. Can't believe it, argh!!!

So no running for two weeks. Unbelievable! Ha ha oh well, now I have a good excuse to get out of it! But I'm gonna go for it when my ankle's better. School should be interesting tomorrow!

Another weekend in the bag, hope you all were well and healthy and sober.

Off to bed for me. zzzzz
Old 01-08-2012, 11:04 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Administrator

hope you feel better soon IP

D
Old 01-09-2012, 12:28 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I am feeling blue

Bad decision from the court, left me feeling like a not good enough person, that is my core belief you see.......eventhough my head tells me otherwise, my deep seated belief tells me otherwise. Yes I am still working on it......

Right now though I am eating mini chocolate fish by the bucket load, bawling my eyes out and generally doing anything to avoid listening to that other tiny tiny tiny stupid voice that says go get a huge bottle of wine because it will make you feel heaps better.

You see guys.....even with almost a year under your belt, life is still....LIFE.....but we can choose to not drink when we really know it is the worst thing for us.

I will continue to eat chocolate fish(marshmallow shaped like fish covered in chocolate for you americans) and drink sparkling water until I feel my tears are gonna go away. also doesnt help that the one person you thought would be there for you isnt. Aint that just the way.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:17 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Administrator

sorry you had a bad decision from the court but I hope you come to detach yourself from feeling it's a personal criticism Manz.

and don't listen to the voice no matter how tiny it is

D