Notices

Class of June 2011 part 12

Old 06-13-2012, 03:42 AM
  # 201 (permalink)  

One year...check

Now...the rest of my life...
Old 06-13-2012, 09:01 AM
  # 202 (permalink)  

Way to go!! Our ships sail easier with the winds at our backs, eh?
Old 06-13-2012, 08:33 PM
  # 203 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by leo21 View Post

Way to go!! Our ships sail easier with the winds at our backs, eh?
Yes they do!

I put a fairly innocuos update on my Facebook today basically just saying that a year ago I made the decision to not drink alcohol and that it had been a great change in my life that I could highly recommend for anyone that thought it might be a positive thing for them. I closed off my note by saying - "now how the hell am I going celebrate"?

My intention was partially for me put it out there - to say to everyone I know...you know what I don't drink alcohol and I'm all the better for it. But also I have a lot of friends that could stand to quit drinking too and I thought if my little status update helps someone just a little bit then I've done something good.

I got an arms length of terrific responses from friends and family - a lot of warmth and support. And I got a note from one friend looking for some help.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:08 AM
  # 204 (permalink)  
instant

TP
It's great to be around to see this happen in your life TP. Well done.

Once "the year thing" is over - there is no obvious focus. I have found life is so much easier. My "obsession" (as in the BB) has defintely been lifted. I find myself "coming too" and realisting that the whole alcohol/ recovery thing has not been on my mind . This is clearly a major milestone, but does come with it's own issues as forgetting how bad it was seems to be a step towards relapse.

Great stuff June 11 !!
Old 06-14-2012, 05:11 PM
  # 205 (permalink)  

Congrats TP - like you said - now its just on with the rest of our lives....

The reasons you put your stuff on facebook are very similar to mine - nobody has asked me for help/advice yet through that source but I know some of my friends are going down that rocky road and at least they may feel they can come to me if they want to consider stopping.

A close AA friend has suggested to me that she might get me to sponsor her she has tried the steps before but not completed them and keeps slipping up around the 3 month mark. I will be honoured to try and help her if she wants to go ahead with it - im there for her anyway - we are going to a meeting tomorrow evening - I might get my 1 year chip although I think they do the yearly ones at the end of the month. I will miss getting my monthly chip a bit I found that first 24 hour chip quite monumental in starting my true recovery.

Im working on improving things at home now - had a house meeting with my daughters where we all discussed ideas how we can improve life for us all and it was all positive and everything is getting better all the time.

Ive become quite hyper recently, not got much appetite and losing weight at last, Im dancing nearly every day and enjoying it. The miserable blob that I was a year ago is long gone
Old 06-15-2012, 12:52 AM
  # 206 (permalink)  
instant

Pumpkin it all sounds great. One year doesn't seem that long ago in some respects. I remember the difficulty of the first few weeks. In other respects it's another lifetime away.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:28 PM
  # 207 (permalink)  

365 days, one day at a time. Today is 1 year sober for me!!

I have just returned from a meeting where I heard my story again through others, told my story to help others and received the love and fellowship of others just like me, who are powerless against alcohol.

My sponsor made a cake, took me out for lunch and was there for me, yet again. I am so blessed. I truly feel happy, joyous and free. But are still in kindergarten regarding my spirituality and sobriety.

Thank you, all of you in the June class I really couldnt have done those very early days without you all.

May all your days be in the sunlight of the spirit xx
Old 06-25-2012, 12:10 AM
  # 208 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations Racquell

D
Old 06-25-2012, 02:12 AM
  # 209 (permalink)  
instant

Originally Posted by Raquell View Post
365 days, one day at a time.
Well done Raquell. I am so happy for you. I am so proud to be part of our group.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:32 AM
  # 210 (permalink)  

Way to go Raquell!!!

Old 06-26-2012, 04:10 PM
  # 211 (permalink)  

Congrats Raquel - what a lovely way to spend your celebration day - it just keeps on getting better and better xx
Old 06-30-2012, 05:36 AM
  # 212 (permalink)  

Very quiet in here

Finally got my 1 year chip last night - I love it - its taking pride of place on my piano. Im showing it to everyone who comes round - even my ex husband last night when he was picking our daughter up - its incredible how we are friendly now since I made amends to him - those promises really do come true.

Ive got the job of being in charge of the chips at my Friday night meeting, topping up the monthly ones and ordering the special yearly anniversary ones when they come up in the birthday book. What a brilliant bit of service for me I will really enjoy doing that.

I hope everyone is doing well and enjoying the continued new lives of sobriety and happiness xxx
Old 06-30-2012, 03:25 PM
  # 213 (permalink)  
instant

Pumpkin it amazing what can happen to our self respect and feeling of contentment.

I think the chip job will suit you- fantastic
Old 06-30-2012, 03:32 PM
  # 214 (permalink)  
Administrator

when I saw 'chip job' I had visions of you working at the local chippy frying fish & chips Deb LOL

congratulations on getting your chip - and on your new responsibility

D
Old 06-30-2012, 05:05 PM
  # 215 (permalink)  

Congratulations Pumpkin! Isnt it amazing receiving that chip. My home group doesnt give out chips so I went to another meeting where they do and got one. My sponsor also gave me a chip she had received from a fellow member in Hong Kong one time and told me I have to pass it on to a sponsee when they reach a year.
All the best for your future.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:04 AM
  # 216 (permalink)  
instant

Raquell that chip can tell some stories of redemption! Great idea
Old 07-12-2012, 11:59 AM
  # 217 (permalink)  

The summer is flying by!! Keep on keeping on folks - i'm still on track and cruising along.

Over a year later and life is like night and day~~ last summer was so incredibly slow living one minute at a time when I had to. Alot of focus, attention, and other things to survive. But wow it sure was worth it.

I think most would agree that the view from here is breathtaking!!
Old 07-13-2012, 01:20 PM
  # 218 (permalink)  
instant

Leo , you are right. I am still pinching myself. Today I was reflecting on the way things are changing for me. I am more immersed in life. There are opportunities everywhere. At the moment I am siting in a hotel in London, and this is after years of having to quarantine hours of the day for my drinking time. I can now fly halfway across the world without going into early withdrawal, and wander past festive drinking spots and just count my blessings.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:36 AM
  # 219 (permalink)  

Im still counting my blessings every day too - despite the constant rain we have been having this summer - what do you think of the English weather Jim? Are you here for the olympics? Where in London are you staying?
Old 07-15-2012, 03:51 AM
  # 220 (permalink)  
instant

No Debbie. I am on my way back now, sitting in KL airport. I was there for a conference. I have some Olympics memorabilia however. The place was really buzzing. Clearly it is going to be very exciting but congested. I walked so much I have blisters on my feet.

The weather certainly was wet, but I have nothing to compare it to.

The amazing thing is I did it all sober. I think if i can restst a pint in london i can do it anywhere. In truth if I was still drinking I would have let a colleague do the trip. The blessings of sobriety continue to multiply.