Notices

Class Of March 2011 pt 11

Old 12-24-2011, 06:12 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

"Regarding the animals...does your last name happen to be Doolittle?" -- crazy that you'd post that, Lofty, because we let our kids open an early gift yesterday ... the 4 DVD Dr. Doolittle collection. We watched the first 3 in the car on the way to and from my sister's house these past couple days.

Rosie, lots of love going to you. Aussie, you, too. Regular life is just around the corner, and the shortest and darkest days of the year are behind us. I'm so impressed with both of you and how you've stayed so strong even when you've hurt ... I don't think I'm that strong yet.

I think I'm all ready for tomorrow. I couldn't sleep at all last night, so I'm pretty exhausted now and planning on an early bedtime. Santa is coming quite early, and then Grandpa will be here by 7am to open gifts before church. The clementine/pomegranate salad is PHENOMENAL ... I highly recommend it. Here's the quick recipe:
* about 12 clementines, peeled, sectioned and each section halved
* 3 pomegranates
* a couple TBS sugar
* allspice
You can prepare the clementines, sugar, and allspice the night before, but wait to add the pomegranates until just before serving. Seriously, the flavor is incredible.

We sat at a restaurant today and I had a full view of the bar, and a bottle on the end that was one of my favorite special occassion liquers. I had to divert my eyes a few times. Then to night the neighbors started dropping off gifts, and one brought a very expensive bottle of bourbon. Jim hid it ... I feel strong right now, but it worries me a bit that it's in the house.

I hope that you all have a blessed Christmas Eve tonight and a happy, memorable Christmas tomorrow filled with love and peace and laughter and meaning. Love to you!

Old 12-24-2011, 08:48 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Hey folks, just checkin in. Hope your'e all having/had a great Christmas Eve. How bout those Lions??! Playoffs, baby! Had a great time watching the game. We moved dinner up from 5:30 to 2:00 so we could be back at my parents' to watch it. Then we did gifts. Another busy day tomorrow w/ dh's side, then we relax and do nothing tomorrow eve. Yay! Have a great, sober day tomorrow everybody! MUAH!
Old 12-25-2011, 09:44 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Merry Christmas, One and All!
Old 12-25-2011, 11:46 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Merry Christmas marchers! Love and hope and health and happiness to each of you!

Got my run done this am. 10 solo miles on country roads, woot! That's about 16k. Very proud of myself. Walk in the woods with dad in law and my dog, who is in heaven.

My friends dad died this morning. Husband and I will leave inlaws early, at 6am to attend 11am funeral.

I feel peaceful today and I wish the same for you!
Old 12-25-2011, 12:08 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope everyone had a great day
prayers for you and your friend Frances

D
Old 12-26-2011, 03:56 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Good morning, Marchers! Christmas is over ... time to get back to regular life. I'm preparing my meeting for this morning and will go to work in just a bit.

Frances, I'm sending you love as you go love on your friends.

So, what was your favorite part of the day yesterday? What good thing happened? What meaningful thing did you feel/do/experience because you were sober?
Old 12-26-2011, 03:59 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Mirage ... the Lions in the playoffs ... it's a Christmas miracle!
Old 12-26-2011, 06:30 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Good morning all!

Headed to Virginia to visit relatives. My 15 yr old is getting his first hwy driving experience right now. He's doing pretty well!

We had a nice Christmas. My greatest memory was watching everyone enjoying their gifts afterward. I also texted 21 of my men friends withba simple Merry Christmas and 18 have responded. About 5 responded immediately, which means they were as bored as me. And thats ok. I think a lot of fathers get bored. We had a more modest Christmas than many before, and I'm glad of it.

It was weird not drinking. Bourbon and Baileys would have been the norm in years past. Could I have gotten away with it? Sure, but I didnt reallt want to. Fleeting desires were based on lies to myself about tye "benefits" of booze. Today, my eyes are clear, no bags under them, and I feel clearheaded. And thats what I desire for my life.

Enjoy this last week of the year....soberly!
Old 12-26-2011, 08:03 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend's dad, frances. Never easy, hope the day goes ok. ((Hugs))

Christmas CAN'T be over!! There are more emoticons to use!!

That's funny, Lofty. Instead of texts, my dh was hittin the crackberry for his fantasy football. Have a good Virginny visit! Tell your boy to drive safe..we need our Lofty in one piece!

Drinking at Christmas was never a deal for me, cuz our families aren't really drinkers. One thing I used to like to do was to drink w/ my dh on xmas eve. The kids were in bed, and we'd bring down Santa's gifts and stuff the stockings, have a fire and often we'd exchange with each other. Kinda made it a quiet romantic night before xmas came and it was all about the kids. Problem was there were a few years where I'd have a killer hangover on xmas day and feel like a complete idiot. Great mom stuff, that. So I was thankful that wasn't even an option this year. Was up early, feelin good for Christmas morning. The day went great. I'm very lucky.

My dh was joking that he's surprised the tree is still up. I tend to clean up from the holiday, like IMMEDIATELY. haha. Well in my defense, we go up north for the new year, so I like it done before I leave so I don't have to do it when I get back and the holiday is WAY over. Anyway, I thought that was really funny, the idea that I'd be dismantling the tree on Christmas night. lol! Gonna lay low today and let the kids chill w/ their stuff. I have some returning to do, but I hate the thought of the crowds today. Isn't today a busy shopping day? Yeah, think I'll stay in. Hope you're all having a good day. Rosie..aussie..you guys make it through??

One more..ok, a couple more, then I'm done.....
:

There are too many, I'll be back later.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:09 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Editor

Merry late Christmas everyone. Busy with the kidos and Sick as a dog. Mrs. Claus passed it along to me for an early Christmas gift. It has been a while since I have had this miserable crap. It may be a few days but I will check back in when I can see straight and stay upright. First time I have been like this sober in a looooooonnnnggggg time.
Peace into all of your hearts
DAve
Old 12-26-2011, 10:59 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Oh NOOO! Sorry you're sick, Dave! (Santa brought a few white spots for my tonsils, but I'm choosing to ignore them for now.) Hope you're much feeling better soon! Here are some emoticons to help you along....

Old 12-26-2011, 12:09 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiicola!!!!!!!

Old 12-26-2011, 01:21 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

I'm home, all went well, we took care of kiddos at funeral, I feel so blessed to be trusted by their parents and loved by the kids. Unbelievably awesome to be doing so minus white knuckle anxiety. To be calm and centered, inside and out.

Booze is evil for me and contraindicated by my meds anyways, so thats two good reasons no way I'm going back!

Love emoticons! Times a million!

Feel better Dave!

More later, laundry calls
Old 12-26-2011, 01:44 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope you feel better soon Dave

PBC - as much as I love my birth family the best part for me was coming home to my real family

D
Old 12-26-2011, 04:20 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

In Va safe and sound. On phone with limited connection, so I wont be on much this week. Frances, well done! Dave, feel better. Mirage, PBC, and Dee, glad you all had a great Christmas.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:07 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

I cant forget everyone else! I hope Aussie, Rosie, Fudger, Iancal, and any others on the thread had a great Christmas as well!
Old 12-27-2011, 03:07 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Morning! Going running in a few. I think my favorite part of Christmas this year is feeling good. I loved how good my dog was with our nieces.

You all have made this year possible, with all the postive changes in my life.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:17 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  
Editor

Good Day All. Back at work. Still feel like a white spot on mirages tonsil. EEEwWWW. That grossed me out a little. I am a little better and appreciate the well wishes. I know that they work. In the past the holidays were always an obstacle in sobriety. Even though I was sick .....this was a breeze. I never had the slightest urge to drink. I love being sober. I like knowing what is going on. Yes, financial stress sucks...but IT aint nothing but a thing.
I hope that everyone stays happy and healthy.
Please let this funk get out of my body!!!!!
PLH
Dave
Old 12-27-2011, 08:57 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Hi All,

Wishing you continued blessings this Christmas Season!

I used a half dose of my son's Provigil (really need my own prescription, but he isn't using his, did verify with pharmacist not contraindicated with my other meds) on the 24th and 25th to bump out the deep depressed feelings, have the energy to get out of my recliner to make the pies promised and pack for our Christmas overnight visit, also to get through the visit. Didn't take that med yesterday, but was still a very busy, upright day. Physically it was very difficult for me.

Came down with a head cold last night, not that big of a deal at this point, tissues and Purell at my side Three busy days in a row, on my feet a LOT, lots of interaction with people, just sapped everything I had, plus what I took artificially with the Provigil. Way more than I usually do in a month, or longer!

BUT, did enjoy Christmas day with my family and some extended family members, little kids such a joy, nice visit with hub's sibs, they know I am sick with Lyme, fibro and depression, and just let me do as much as I can. Probably surprised I didn't cancel at last minute as usual!

After grandparents had left and it was just sibs and kids, kitchen cleaned up, SIL brought out a beautiful bottle of red wine. Apparently they don't know their brother is an alcoholic (classic in their family! It's only been, what, 12 or 13 years?! And they were told), but did not offer me any - I had confided that I quit a while back, citing mostly meds interaction, but also overcompensation for social anxiety, and that I was "developing a problem". Watched SIL pour for herself and BIL, wanted to be able to enjoy a glass but also didn't. They only had one glass each, then left a half bottle on the counter and went to bed. I stayed up a couple hours watching TV, went to bed at 11pm, didn't go out to the kitchen and get a glass of wine.

I was pleasantly surprised, 'cause I was conscious of it being there, knew it was excellent (thus "worth it" in my mind), but I was not hyper-focused on it, my thoughts didn't dwell on it, after a fleeting, "gee, I would really enjoy that, and could have some if I wanted", I thought, "yeah, I would enjoy it, but it isn't worth it" and just moved on.

This is the biggest temptation I have been faced with in a while, open bottle of great wine just waiting to be finished, plenty more plus full bar in house, up alone, could have had anything I wanted and unless I finished the wine, probably wouldn't have been noticed, but my thoughts didn't go there, at all, beyond a passing desire to have a glass of wine.

I feel like I have gone through a rite of passage of sorts. By no means am I going to let down my guard in future situations like this, or assume I am out of the woods with regard to temptation, but I am proud for not only how I handled this externally, but also pleased for the lack of much inner struggle this time. That was my Christmas gift, something I can look back and remember in future situations, something to build on.

There is still this thought floating around my head that I don't really have a problem and could drink in moderation, so glad I didn't test that theory Christmas night, and I have been spending time reading in various newcomer threads over the last couple of weeks, which helps me to remember all the early struggles that I went through.

I also remember how large this group was when we started, and the core group we have now. This is not an easy journey, as we all know, and I am so very grateful for the grace that has kept me here this time!

Thank you all, to our wonderful Dee, ever supportive despite your own challenges, and you share so generously with many of the groups here, and to each of you who actively post, encourage, share your struggles and triumphs, it is because of each of you that I was able to get through the last few days and stay sober. Thanks also to those who mostly lurk, but hold us up in thought and prayer, your contribution is much needed and much appreciated!

Best wishes for each of you and those you love, for your best year yet coming in a few days, good thoughts and prayers for your needs and desires, and most of all for your continued sobriety

Cannot thank you enough, seriously doubt I would be where I am without the love and support of each and every one of you!

Rosie
Old 12-27-2011, 10:02 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Hey all!

Back for my mid day check in. Glad Dave is feeling better. Hope Mirage is too. Glad Frances is feeling well.

Thanks for checking in, Rosie! My theory is this: with my mental health issues of depression and add, it doesnt matter if I'm an alkie or not; I cant drink because I go haywire if I do. I've never had as much hope for my issues as I do now in sobriety. Even if/when I lie to myself about my alcohol issues, my second line of defense, fortunately, kicks in. And that feels great. Hang in there. Giving in now would have a bad ending for any of us.

How is Aussie? Fudger?

Keep on truckin!