Class Of November 2011 Pt 3

Old 12-09-2011, 01:39 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Administrator

it's not mandatory Berdant, LOL

D
Old 12-09-2011, 03:18 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Well, on my drive home I made an executive decision. I decided not to go to my friends cookie party. Just don't feel like it. I called my one really good friend who knows about my drinking situation and she was so much help. She just told me to do whats right for me and don't worry about anyone else. I know all that, but just having her help reinforce the thought was all that I needed.

I had this really strong urge to just spend the evening with my family. I told my hubby and he was happy too. I even talked him into to going out to eat and use up a gift card we have. I always want to spend time with them, but the feeling was more emotional tonight. Its like I am finally figuring out whats really important in my life, and its not hanging out with my drinking friends every Friday night. I have an incredible family and we need to be together.

So feeling sappy and emotional tonight, but SO excited to not be around my friends.

We can do this everyone. Keep up the good work.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:29 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Jay, good for you for working through those desires. I first read about HALT here too. Good luck with the new relationship.

Dee, I read your story and appreciate that you have made it to where you are today. Your support and consistent encouragement across these boards has helped me and I trust, countless others. Thank you. Your comment that "…it is what we do with those triggers that matters…" struck me and hopefully will be something that I return to when my triggers hit.

Tres, sounds like you are in touch with what is best for YOU.

Jay, Thinking that those moments of conflict in the cab were difficult, but you pulled through. Thinking that you rock right now.

Today is day 20 for me. A bit of a roller coaster yesterday….cravings hit, visuals of what a good goblet (lol) of red wine would look like. lol. sigh. I worked through; ate a ton of cookies, went to be early and today was easier.

Tigger, shopping for stocking stuffers is so much fun. Have you tried any of the new peppermint mocha coffees? Thanks for the happy dance btw, it made me smile.

Berdant, glad to hear you are putting off the cravings as well.

Sarah1414, hoping you are having a good time at the Christmas party

Catfry, Congratulations on your 2 weeks.

Congratulations to everyone else for staying in the game. Good job Novemberites! Have a good night everyone. I'm hanging home with the family…and am so appreciative of all of you. The collective support here is amazing. ((Thank you. )
Old 12-09-2011, 07:15 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Administrator

You guys probably know I'm not big on compliments lol

It really is a gift & a privilege to be here, healthy, not be enslaved by addiction - and to be able to give something back.

Every time I hear my story's been of use, it's a special moment - so thanks
Old 12-09-2011, 07:21 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tigger41 View Post
And let me be honest here. I'm actually pouting about not being able to have a drink. I'm sad. I don't want to be I want to be proud but I just feel sad.
but you'll be grinning when you are done and you haven't climbed down off the wagon....
Old 12-09-2011, 07:25 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jay1980 View Post
I had a chance to drink today and actually had my hand on a bottle and didn't do it. I feel bad for even touching it...
Well you didn't drink it, so it isn't nearly as bad as you'd feel if you took a swig or two.

keep up the good work.

Fraggy
Old 12-09-2011, 07:33 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sarah1414 View Post
I had a few toxic boyfriends
That was what my ex wife said about me for years, before and after we were hitched.

Of course she was correct, I was toxic. I called her last weekend and made amends, asked her for forgiveness.

Fraggy 47
Old 12-09-2011, 08:58 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Sounds like we're all doing pretty well! Day 11 is just about finished for me. Said screw it this morning and slept in an extra hour... Made all the difference in the world, felt terrific this morning.

Stevie -- It's incredible how much you crack me up with your meal updates. Literally makes me laugh every time... You do it so nonchalantly, like the 4 snickers and 2 mars bars followed by a massive pita and 3 steaks is no different than brushing your teeth every morning. Haha.... Anyway, thanks for the laughs.

R4R -- Glad you feel the same about these boards. They really make such a difference... Like I said before, I don't really have anyone in my life to actually talk about this stuff with. But I've realized that I need that, in some way, shape or form, if I'm ever going to stay clean. Never been able to do this alone, despite trying more tims than I'd ever like to recall. I've finally realized that I need something "more" than just, "okay, I'm quitting this time, I swear."

On that same note, I finally decided to go see a counselor today. I've done the counseling thing with 2 separate ones in the past couple years, but I went to them for grief counseling... I never had the guts to bring up my substance abuse issues. But I've finally admitted to myself that my addiction issues are really the crux of my problems right now and they need to be addressed. I'm hoping it helps to talk these things out with a professional, and get some constructive feedback from someone whose job it is to help people with addiction.

Tigger, catfry, fraggy, tres, Stevie, Sarah, Berdant, vantrina, marine, and everyone else... Keep up the good work! And thank you all for your stories, support, and updates! Lastly, Jay -- awesome job on fighting your urge. I don't know if you realize how much that says about your progress, but it speaks volumes. You're definitely on the right track, keep fighting, you're doing amazing. And try to enjoy this new person in your life... It could end up being the best thing you could've hoped for right now. All the best to everyone, have a greatest of the weekend!
Old 12-09-2011, 09:03 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Getting ready to go to bed but stayed up and watched a great movie with the twins. "Knight and Day" I think on HBO. If you have a chance catch it - mindless but extremely entertaining and funny.

Night all
Old 12-09-2011, 09:05 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Oh also, is the acronym HALT just a way to recognize the various triggers that make you want to drink/use? I feel like I've heard it before, and it makes sense but I just wanted to verify... Maybe someone has some more insight that might be helpful to those of us that aren't as familiar? Thanks guys!
Old 12-09-2011, 09:45 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

You're a Jim Henson fan huh Dee? Me too! He contributed so much to so many childhoods.

Jay that's wonderful, both about the new relationship, and also making that hard choice to put down the bottle. We've all been there. And you're just about at a month buddy, good job!

"Knight and Day", is that the one with Cameron Diaz? I see it on Netflix all the time but always thought it looked kind of cheesy. Maybe I'll check it out...

Polostick good call on seeing a counselor, I think it is an important and very positive step. Way to go! And Hungry, Lonely and Tired are very big triggers for me. Angry too I guess, if I think about it.

Tres good for you for deciding it's time to change your priorities a bit. Yup, life doesn't have to be all about partying, not at all. I've really been enjoying spending time just doing things around the house and relaxing, reading etc., going to bed early on the weekends and getting up early too, getting the most out of my time. Early mornings at the beach with the dog the last few weekends has been so nice, I forget sometimes how great it is to live near the ocean.

Hey Fraggy well done for making amends. I've been thinking about doing some of that myself.

Catfry: I am really nervous about school! It's a really intensive two year program and it's been a LONG time since I've been in that atmosphere. And everyone's going to be way younger than me. But, there's a lot to be said for life experience, right? It's journalism, so it might help me. (I hope!)

Stevie where's our meal update?

Boy am I rambling! I think I may have seriously injured my finger at work today, it hurts like H*LL, so typing is kind of soothing and distracting. The pharmacist said I might have broken it(!)

Let's have another sober and healthy weekend guys, and yes let's be PROUD! What we are doing is HARD, dammit!

Old 12-09-2011, 09:49 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Oh yeah there's a full lunar eclipse early tomorrow, so that's a good reason to get up early! (We'll see)
Old 12-09-2011, 09:57 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Dee, I did read your story. You truly are amazing and a true inspiration. I'm glad you're doing so well because now we have you here to motivate us along with all other Novemberites. Sorry for the compliment, but I had to.

Friday's over and now onto Saturday. We're all ready, right? Bring it on!

Good night all. Will talk to you tomorrow. Stay safe and sober.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:00 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Administrator

is the acronym HALT just a way to recognize the various triggers that make you want to drink/use?
You got it Polo - Hungry Angry Lonely Tired

D
Old 12-09-2011, 10:49 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Slept 15 hours but now I can't sleep again and it is almost 2 am!

Well, as my grandma used to say, I can't win for trying : )

I had a really weird meeting tonight. A woman layed down on the floor saying she felt light-headed. She was sober. I wound up outing myself as a nurse. One of my biggest fears is that I'll be called out at work so I keep my career very hush.

Guess I'm outing myself again ; )

That meeting though, that equates to a huge panic situation for me. I was very calm there, but now I can't sleep.

Hmm, I'll see if there is anyone in the chat room to compain to : )

Jay: Good Luck! Sounds good! Just don't let the nervous and emotional sides of a relationship be an excuse to use.

InPart: You'll be fine. Just grap a 2012 APA guideline book and dive in : )

Take Care Novemberites
Old 12-10-2011, 03:47 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Goodmorning Saturday. I am up early. I could go back to sleep but when I do I always have weird dreams, so here I am.

Busy stuff to do today and need to fit in some exercise. Lots of partying going on today in my little neighborhood with the boat parade tonight. Some friends are coming over but I think most of them know my situation so I think I will feel fine. The friends coming over are not big drinkers.

So glad I skipped the party last night. Of course they called my cell and harassed me a little for not showing. I did not answer that call on purpose. They will get over it.

I still need to read Dees story, it must be inspiring.

Catfry, I am an RN also..no one at my work knows what I am going through. Its just not their business. I understand how you felt at that meeting.
Polostick, good for you an the counselor. I have gone a few times and she was ok. I think she got me started off on the right foot. She recommended AA and I told her I wanted to try SR first. She had never heard of it, so I told her to check it out. She suggested I see a psych for a full workup. I have that apt in Jan. I have a history of two suicides in my distant familial past. Lots of depression in my family history also.

I am fine with going, what can it hurt. I was in such a bad place when I met her I am sure it was a red flag. I feel like I have done a complete turnaround regarding how I feel now. Thanks to SR.

Hope everyone has a great Saturday. Keep posting and venting.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:51 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Happy Saturday!!

Cat - Nice on the two weeks!!!!

Tigger... no law against being ... it was a "friend" -- although in actuality a pretty warped friendship with an alterior motive on the alnohol's part... There's new friends to make. Like us - Ok, well, there's other things to do also... with all this time we have now.

Jay.. I would definitely wash my hands after touching a bottle...ewwwwwwww

Glad your dinner went well, Tres... making me hungry and I just woke up!!

Hey, Sarah.... let us know how the night went... we're just nosey that way :bounce

Tres... Good for you deciding to be with family... need those moments!

Hi Stevie (how are you???), Van, Berdant, Bruman, Voice, Fraggy, Marine, Polo, IP and any of you others I missed! And you too, Dee!

Day 17... and feeling great!

Have a nice, sober day!!
Old 12-10-2011, 03:53 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  
Press Start To Continue

Well, so much for sleeping in! Woke up at 6:30, just like I would on a work day. Gross. Okay day 16, let's do this.

Sounds like that lady was very lucky you were around, CatFry!
Old 12-10-2011, 04:10 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

One Month, agian.

Just stopped by to say to all. I took a break from here. I had to. but at least i can carry my month copper coin again. wink.

peace all , and in case you missed it

good love, inda
Old 12-10-2011, 04:11 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

And yes I am blessed with a all copper coin. not brass hug