And the winner is ME
Old 11-28-2011, 04:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

and humble with it....

D
Old 11-28-2011, 05:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well I don't know what's more exciting, aussie...you being the first poster or your test results!! lol SO glad you got some good news, you deserve it. I'm sure it's a big relief to you..and yes, good for for not drinking during that stress.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Hi.. just checking in after a loooong weekend with the family.. I'm excited to say I started my week off strong and sober.. After falling off the wagon last week.. i spent a couple days waking up in the morning and counting the hours until it was time to go to bed so I wouldn't have to deal with the urge to drink..

catching up with the weeks posts has been good therapy =)

happy healthy!
Old 11-28-2011, 10:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

good to see you Iancal - and way to go on the progress

D
Old 11-29-2011, 03:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Well done, Ian. That's the ticket; sometimes we just have to mark time.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Way to go Iancal!

Thanks for the new thread Dee.
LOL Aussie.
Morning Marchers!
Old 11-29-2011, 04:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

YAY AUSSIE!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so happy for you! If I were there I'd be high fiving you and hugging you and scaring the bejeebers out of how badly I can invade personal space when I'm so happy for you!

Frances, on football, the crazy thing is that I really don't care .. but Jim does, and it's fun to play with people.

I'm so sorry about the Christmas stuff/dysfunction that you've dealt with in life. I hope you're able to, at some point in life, separate the brokenness from the miracle. When that happens, I'll bet you'll have a much more pure idea of what Christmas means, without the nostalgic, commercial, and unrealistic expectations of our culture. You could always come stay with me that week, or anytime, if you need/would like a change of scenery. (I mean that)

Last night was our town's Parade of Lights, and my church had a float in it (for the second year now). It was a blast! Our family ran alongside it and passed out candy to the spectators. We're doing it again tonight, but I work too late to make it. It's supposed to rain/snow, so I'm not too disappointed about that.

How about a QOTD? I don't know about you all, but things tend to get super-busy this time of year around here. It feels like everyone around me needs something, and it's easy to forget about me sometimes. And it's like they say on the airplane ... you need to be sure you get the oxygen mask or you'll be unable to help anyone else. So ... what one good thing will you do for YOU today?
Old 11-29-2011, 04:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

And it's so nice to see you, Iancal! We're here for you ... post often. Do the holidays affect your resolve to stay sober, or is it about the same as before? What's your plan for today?
Old 11-29-2011, 04:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

So ... what one good thing will you do for YOU today?
go to bed

night all!

D
Old 11-29-2011, 05:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

G'night, Dee. I'm tellin' ya, you're worse than my teenagers! You need to stop staying up all night and sleeping all day!

G'mornin' Marchers! Third day of dark, gray, gloomy skies. I'm doing my best to remain buoyant. That book I mentioned to y'all is helping. I just need to detach myself from my natural surroundings when the weather's gloomy. Hard to do, but...naw, I just can't bring myself to finish that phrase...

I'm enjoying the simple things in sobriety lately. Picking up kids at night, and sneaking in a McD's trip with 'em sometimes. Stuff like that. I even fixed the SUV this past weekend. Took care of those annoying dash alert lights, and buzzers and stuff. I've been tempted to buy another car for myself; my friend has a great deal on an '07 Volvo S80 in pristine shape, with relatively low miles. Great price. But, I'm not sure I deserve a treat that big just yet. I have a lot of little stuff to catch up on that I blew off over the last year or so. Even though my joints still hurt, I'm starting to get some energy to pick up those little projects. What's more, my creative mind has been at work thinking about even more projects; bookshelves, etc., stuff like that. I even cleaned out the garage a week or so ago, and we can now get 2 cars in it. The 3rd bay is almost cleared out for the other car, just a little more work.

I also am feeling a big purge mode coming on. As I look around at the clutter, I'm starting to question why we need this or that. That's a big step for me. I'm not a hoarder, but am a big recycler of stuff. There is always an alternative use for something; the question is how long you hold on to it waiting for that use to arrive. I think some stuff has retired its time in the box.

Ok...now I'm rambling, which means I'm procrastinating. And that's the truth. Bye!
Old 11-29-2011, 06:29 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Dee, going to bed is a GREAT thing to do for you! We all need to do more of that, to be honest.

And on that note, since this is my thing, I thought I'd share a quick note on why adequate sleep is such an important part of weight loss and maintainance.

Weight loss ALWAYS comes down to the laws of thermodynamics, which say that if you take in more calories than you burn, you'll gain. If you take in fewer calories than you burn, you'll lose.

When someone is sleep-deprived they may:
* not feel like exercising, or moving their bodies much at all. They may park closer to the store, e-mail a co-worker instead of walking to their desk, ask the kids to run to the basement to get something instead of doing it themselves, etc etc. This causes fewer calories to be burned.
* be less likely to cut up veggies and fruits or prepare a wholesome, balanced meal.
* crave comfort foods, which are often high in simple carbs and fat. Simple carbs and fat are burned very quickly and easily in the body, and the result is a quick sugar-high and then the person is hungry/tired again and often will eat more. They are also higher in calories.
* choose convenience foods because they just don't feel like making the effort to choose better ... which equates to highly processed/sodium-laden/fast food/etc. And then not feeling truly satiated, since nutritional needs are still unmet, and wanting to eat more soon after.
* eat for emotional needs instead of just hunger. One of our favorite little pithy sayings is, "If hunger isn't the problem, then food isn't the solution." My next tv spot will be talking about some techniques for dealing with emotional eating (stress, boredom, grief, loneliness, reward, and tons more).

When we're well-rested, we simply tend to feel better and thus make better, healthier choices overall.

Hope no one minds the quick lesson. If so, please ignore.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:41 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

*SURPRISEPOUNCEHUG* on PBC!

One thing: I have recognized that my monthly cycle is spiking my anxiety. I am following my doctor's advice and I will support myself with extra care today. That includes writing down my to-do items so they don't get lost in hazy non-focus. Back to my work!
Old 11-29-2011, 06:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Editor

Good Day All. In court all day yesterday. Not for me....for the freedom of my country....at least that is what the films said in the early am. Yep. Jury Duty and thats all I can say about that! Heading back in an hour.
Our Country has really lost the meaning of Christmas! Bigger, better, More!!!! I think we need to hit our reset button on Christmas. One gift and it must be home made. I vote on that. Heck in my family they get what they want most of the time anyway.....Why fall into the grips of our consumeristic society and help bankrupt the middle class into non existence. Yes I made up consumeristic. But it works and that is where our wonderful country is heading. It is time for everyone to remember the true meaning of the season. If you dont believe then you dont have to participate. Pretty simple. No one gets upset. Hopefully. If they do....get up put on your big boy/girl panties and grow up and deal with it. Everyone is so afraid of stepin on other peoples toes nowadays that our country is turning into a numb.... I am going to win just by showing up culture. What a pile of nonsense we have created. That is why our country is sinking fast.....everyone doesnt get to win! Showing up is not enough. Frustration.
That was my brain spilling...I am not sure where I was going with that but I see how my son treats and reacts to everything and I can see that his sense of reality is warped on several issues. School, money and time. What in the heck are they teaching them. I am trying to teach him time management, money management(scary), and School management.(no it is not ok to turn in your assignment two weeks late and expect credit for it.) I am pulling my hair out......Did I sign up for this?
Thank you for letting me vent!!!!!!!! You have no idea how much that helps me. The pressure in my head is already gone and I have a smile on my face. See

I know Lofty.....I will make an appointment this week...Promise!
Oh I pull for the LSU tigers....most of my family is from New Orleans. My Dad transplanted to Pensacola when I was 1. I dont really pull for any florida team. I do however root for the SEC against all other evils. WHoot WHoot!

Glad you are back frances.

Aussie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wish I could hug ya!!!!!!!!! I told ya so!

Oh crappers gotta run. I am in court in 45 min

Later
Dave
Old 11-29-2011, 07:19 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Good to see ya Ian..glad you're feelin good today! Hope you had a good holiday weekend.

Man, it's ugly out there today. Pouring rain and wind up to 30 mph. I went out this morning to yoga and I couldn't find it! haha It's held in an old high school, which is now a community ed center and they're using the room for something else. I saw a sign telling me what room but no one was there. No biggie.

Have "fun" at jury duty, Dave! When in doubt...GUILTY!! You're welcome.

Hi Lofty..I was gonna ask if you made it outta that rain. I saw the radar and Ohio was pretty much gone under a sea of green. We're getting snow tonight and tomorrow, it's exciting! It'll look so pretty with the Christmas lights.

((frances))..take care of yourself today.

pbc...the parade sounds fun. As far as the qotd, I'm pretty balanced as far as doing for others and myself, so I can't think of anything in particular. I'm really lucky there.

Sleep well Dee and aussie!
Old 11-29-2011, 07:43 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Aussie - so totally psyched and thrilled for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

iancal - WTG!!! Keep up the good work, day by day, you can do it!!!!!!!!

Suzi - welcome to our group!!!! You found a fantastic group of people in the Marchers, glad to have you aboard!

PBC - thanks for the great info, all excellent points, been there and done most of 'em! In addition, according to a book I have on Sleep, there is a physiological need for proper, adequate sleep in order to facilitate weight loss. I'm sorry I cannot remember the exact info, but if it is important to you I will get out the book and find the exact citation.

Lofty - I am not sure I would look at the Volvo as a "treat". If it is a great car at a great price, and you know the owners, and you can afford it without going into debt, I would assess whether there is a family need for this vehicle, or if it will make a good replacement for one that is on it's way out. Just my thoughts! Then, when driving it, I WOULD feel spoiled!

frances - I deal with both anxiety and depression, though after a spike, I notice they are both much better since quitting drinking. However, I do have hormonal related spikes near every month. My hormones also cause my other pain to increase. I have researched and talked to my doctors, they all have female patients who notice this. Know this, it aids in my self-care, and I can get my family to give me more space if needed during this time.

Dave - thanks for doing your Jury Duty! Hope you don't get stuck there long. I agree with much of your rant, and could add more of my own, but I'll spare you! Dave Ramsey has excellent age appropriate resources for teaching kids about money. And, regarding our education system, we HAD to home education, I just couldn't stand what our local schools were up to. I was blessed to be at home and be able to do this, and it is not for everyone! Kids absorb a lot there, but as a family you can counter it, it just takes diligence.

Dee - last but NOT least - sleep well my good man! So very grateful for your caring and support that you share so generously, not only with we Marchers, but all over this site. Thank you!

I am well. Wanted to drink VERY badly yesterday, after viewing a brief scene on TV in which the characters drank for some of the reasons I used to. I was right there with them, it was crazy! Turned the channel, real fast, and distracted myself further (that is what I use the TV for - distraction, though not usually from drinking!).

Just managed to refi my underwater mortgage, and dropped down to a 15 year loan, am very excited about that!!! DH is traveling this week and next, so lots of quiet, he'll be home briefly over the weekend - laundry and repack, sleep one night, gone.

Visit with DS was great, it was so cool to see him SO excited about all he is learning, so animated and vibrant! We are so proud of him, he is working hard and it is paying off, and he has some great friends. Will be home in a few weeks for Christmas break. He wishes they had skipped Thanksgiving and gave an extra week at Christmas, 'cause it was hard to come home and then go back again. But, he's a kid, and right back in the swing of things! Love that boy!!! Oh, man, I mean.

March on, and enjoy a Sober day!
Rosie
Old 11-29-2011, 08:11 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

It's weird when it sneaks up on ya like that, isn't it Rosie? Glad you were able to use that clicker and save yourself the visual. I think it's the holidays, but it seems like I'm hearing and seeing a lot more about drinking lately. How far away is your son's college from you?
Old 11-29-2011, 09:16 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi mirage! I had something I wanted to write to you, but I completely blanked. Should have at least told you I was thinking of you!

His college is 3 hours north, though in Winter that could increase substantially - deep snow country. Given you are in Michigan, I'm sure you get that!

Rosie
Old 11-29-2011, 02:19 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Ha..no prob. Ah snow..yep, I understand.