Notices

Class Of March 2011 pt 10

Old 11-29-2011, 04:10 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Editor

You must all address me as foreman dave!
Old 11-29-2011, 06:21 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Well, our closest friends (who live 2 doors down) just invited us to be a part of a neighborhood progressive party. We've done these before and they were a ton of fun. Seriously. I love my neighbors. However, it means each house serves an appetizer and a drink, and then the last house has a dessert and a drink. I really don't think I could do it and stay sober. But, the alternative is sitting home feeling sorry for myself and watching them all walk by my house. I need a plan. And it has to be just as fun and appealing as the party.

What else could I/we (Jim and I) do that I'd truly look forward to??? I need to come up with something.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:41 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Wow...that's a tough one. What do you say, foreman Dave?

Can you go and not drink? Or, take along your own mocktail? It's especially tough if you aren't ready to tell your friends of your decision to not drink. That's what I've been slowly doing. I actually even told my doctor, but am questioning that move. By the way, my blood tests were all normal. I know I announced that when I couldn't wait and called, but I saw the results last week, and everything was within nml limits, except slight hypertension and borderline cholesterol, which is status quo for me.

Ya' know...you could just order up a soda at each stop with no explanation, or say that you are on antibiotics or something.

Well, it's snowing here, so I'm assuming my colleagues to the north are getting it too. What does a guy whose only appt canceled (thankfully) do with the day? Builds his business plan. And creates an actual, legal business. Hmmm....what does that mean? I created my LLC today, and went to town on a website. It seems the doors are opening for that direction in my life. I hope I know what I'm doing!

Have a safe and sober evening all!
Old 11-29-2011, 06:51 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'd err on the side of caution PBC...next year you'll be fine and you won't even notice others drinking and saying no thanks to alcohol will not be an issue for you....

but this year...I'd get out of the neighbourhood and go do something else that night.

D
Old 11-29-2011, 07:42 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

We used to do those with friends in the neighborhood, too. We rode bikes..it was good fun, but holy smokes...just too much. I stopped doing em even when I was still drinking. Anyway..yeah, go see a movie or something. There's a lot out/coming out this time of year. Dinner and a movie is always a fun option for me, tho. What about a play or something in GR? Not sure how far you are. I know they have a dinner theater there..that would be fun. Good luck, you'll think of something!

Yep Lofty..watching the snow fall as we speak. Wow, a LEGAL business even? haha Good for you!

Are you really a foreman, Dave? You're gonna tell us all about the case, right?? We won't tell anybody. (You guys..shhhh!)
Old 11-29-2011, 08:12 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

stop enticing Dave to go to jail, Mirage LOL
Old 11-29-2011, 08:54 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hahaha..sorry, couldn't help myself.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:12 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Yeah Lofty for moving your business forward. Congrats on the new venture.

FOREMAN DAVE, may it please the court.

PBC, my thoughts are to gently, completely protect your sobriety. It will keep getting stronger as the AV gets weaker.

Hello there iancal and Mirage and Aussie and Dee and Rosie and Professor & Suzi and anyone I missed!

Already feeling better today. Upside of feeling bad yesterday is realizing that I used to feel like that EVERYDAY.

I can do hard things! I'm stronger than I feel, smarter than I think! And so are ALL of us!
Old 11-30-2011, 04:27 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

You are strong and smart, Frances! Sorry I missed the feeling bad yesterday part. Glad you are feeling better today! I woke up feeling the after effects of over-caffeinating yesterday. I was jittery as soon as my eyes were open! So, I'm laying low on the stuff today, and will use the excess energy to finish up the rough draft of my business plan and make and ABUNDANCE of telephone calls!

I'm glad I'm sober today! My AV has been strong, and I almost broke down for cigs yesterday, but I thought that one through as well, and remembered the stinky clothes and breath, and the heavy chested breathing. Sure, I'd feel good for the first pack, but I'd be addicted again by the end of it. My family doesn't deserve to go through another of my withdrawals ever again, whether it's booze, drugs, or smokes.

Back to the plan...see ya'
Old 11-30-2011, 04:27 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Very cool for you, Lofty! When you get it finished, I'd love to see your new website.

You're so right, Frances! You ARE strong and you CAN do hard things. You're superwoman in my world. I'm so glad you feel better.

Hi Rosie!

How are you today, Iancal?

Ya ... I am well aware that going to this party is NOT a good idea for me. I have too many wonderful memories of these things, and I'm just not strong enough right now. Some of the people (including the ones who invited us) do know about my problem, and I don't care if others know that I don't drink, so it's not that. I just honestly don't think I'd stay sober. I told me oldest daughter the moment we received the invitation, and she's been brainstorming other activities for me all night long (she is quite the advocate for my healing). We actually may end up throwing our own party for the worship team at our house. Or, I do like Mirage's idea of going to Grand Rapids, too. (it's about 20 minutes or so) There's a comedy place that's fun to visit, and I have no problem abstaining in that type of setting. Especially if we go with other people.

I love you guys. Just had to say that.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:28 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Oh, and btw Frances, I spoke with the writer for that publication last night, and she sounded curiously like you. Just sayin'. And we talked about the "I can do hard things" quote, too. Hmmmm .....
Old 11-30-2011, 08:14 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Editor

PBC- Good on you. You are thinking ahead. It stinks to make hard decisions some times, but that is part of life. When you look back in a couple of weeks,still sober, you will go....you know what...I made the right choice and thank God I did. You are on the right path!

Lofty-I am glad that you are sober today too!!!!

Thank you Dee. You have got my back!

mirage- why? why would you ask such questions/ I have done my civic duty and will continue until the end of time. Silence is my sheild. My badge of honor.

frances- sorry you had a down day. On the upside...It really does make the good days that much better.

Aussie- See you this afternoon for me.

Iancal- Stay on the journey. You know it is worth every step.

First day back at work....tons of catch up. I will get back when I can.

The Foreman
Old 11-30-2011, 12:04 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

So, Dave...did ya serve up justice, or mercy?

Hope all are having a dandy, dry day!
Old 11-30-2011, 12:24 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Editor

facts is facts. opinion is opinion. stupid is stupid. We waste a lot of time and money in our courts. All the folks I have ever seen on trial didnt have my dad raising them. Shucks I am still more afraid of him than the law. Afraid= fear, respect, and not wanting to disappoint.
Dave
Old 11-30-2011, 01:02 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Whatta you, a lawyer? I like how you danced around that question.
Yep, I had one of those dads, too. I'd really like to get over the 'not wanting to disappoint' one now, tho. As a kid it's good, as a grown up it feels kinda silly. And annoying.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:03 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Good job with the smokes, Lofty!!!!!
Old 11-30-2011, 01:11 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
orangutan

Thanks everyone for the kind words of support

5 months today!
Old 11-30-2011, 01:40 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Editor

First off Aussie....YEEEEEEHHHHHHAAAAAAWWWWWWWWW! 5 months.

Second........what in the heck are you holding in your avatar?

Dave
Old 11-30-2011, 01:50 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Administrator

way to go Aussie

and way to go with no cigs too Lofty

D
Old 11-30-2011, 01:56 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Yeah yeah HOORAY AUSSIE! Five months is awesome. What a splendid achievement.

Joining the cheering section for no-smokes Lofty.

Hang 'em high, Foreman Dave!

I had a productive day! It is absolutely ridiculous the difference in mental acuity between yesterday and today. Yesterday I could barely function and went to a running club social event with a simmering anxiety attack underway, left after an hour. Today I got things done and feel good.

I think Aussie's holding a wee baby deer in her avi.