Notices

Class Of October 2011 pt 3

Old 11-01-2011, 03:31 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Bound and Determined

Happy sober November to everyone. Thank you all for all of your great posts. I can easily say that every single individual in this forum and every post has been very helpful to me this past week or so that I have been here. I try to read each and every one daily. Dare I say cheers?

This was day 13, so I woke up with some trepidation :-).....yet, not afraid at all to log in here. This was a relatively uneventful day. There is such a thing? I wouldn't have known. I seemed to manage to create my own events via drinking for so long I didn't know this was possible. "Sailed" through the day? One can do that? Yes, however the fact left me in a drunken befuddled state prior. Everything just seemed to work right, including my brain which was a startling phenomenon, I thought it had cracked like an egg long ago. The only thing that is an issue is sleep....having insomnia issues....however drinking nightly combined with benzos just might have a teeeny bit to do with that current problem. I feel confident my sleeping patterns will regulate themselves. Trying a meditation class up the street tonight at 8pm. I have heard this is hard at the beginning. Will see how it goes.

Everyone have a great and contended evening!
Old 11-01-2011, 04:47 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Phil,

It sounds like you have a good plan, yoga, meditation and AA. You seem to be doing great!
Old 11-01-2011, 04:52 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Philb - Congrats! You are doing so well! I hope your meditation class goes well and helps. Insomnia is never fun! At least you know you're getting something worthwhile from it - sober You can always check in here - I've heard this place can be busy during the night. Are you feeling better otherwise?

p.s. Cheers! Here's to sleeping .....
Old 11-01-2011, 05:21 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hey Folks! Time to catch up on my replies Haha (Dee has my odd sense of humor reply!)

@LittleSparrow (from page 20 of last thread) - You're on Day 31 now, which is OUTSTANDING! You've been doing really great and I'm proud of you. Last year before moving I was thinking about doing volunteer work once I moved, I definately want to live up to that.. I'd really love to help out Habitat for Humanity.

@General - You're on day 24 today? You're awesome! Let me know how those recovery books are, I'm interested in reading some once I'm past my Month. However, my next book I'm going to read is The Grapes Of Wrath, which I've put off for a few months now. Oustanding that you got through tonight with no problems! Looking forward to your updates .

@Sigma - Keep it together and sobriety will come, Just keep your head up and be happy! Slips happen but please learn from them. You'll do it! We have faith in you .

@goodcheer - Day 24 for you today! Keep on rocking those days, months, and years! Cheers! Thanks for the wish also! very kind of you! I'm losing count of days so that's a good sign, I'm on night 15

@Dee - Congrats on the...wait a minute, that's just your "We Continue here" post with the link to our new topic! Now I have to congratulate you for posting a link, how weird.

@Honeypie - Watch those candy hangovers, they're dangerously addicting and full of nom nom nom! I'm not too huge on candy anymore, but I do devour the mints they have at work. Did you sign up for the "Y"?

@BoozeFree - I have some co-workers that are negative but I'm not concerned about them. I'm healthy and doing everything it takes to live a good life.. Keep the focus on yourself and your self acheivements, be proud of who you are and what you are doing! . Hope you're not sick, if you are, get better soon!

@sadsoul - I've noticed the tiredness also, just wait until all the energy comes back and you're dancing on cloud nine! Good for you to not get discouraged by your husband drinking, you're a very strong woman and you've defeated the alcohol deamon! Awesome!

Wow, I'm flattered! I really appreciate it! That's GREAT that you started working out with running, It makes you feel so very good about yourself when you conquered alcohol and you do something that's extremely healthy for yourself, Congratulations! The pain will subside and you'll have "runner" legs in no time . I'm so glad that you look forward to your next run, you're determined and you're planning ahead for something healthy which makes me incredibly happy for you.

@Philb - 13 Days?! That's superb! I also have some restless night but it's a reminder that my body takes time to heal and with time I'll be sleeping soundly every night in the future. I know it's annoying and frustrating but you're undoing years of abuse on your body, it takes some time.. I'm on night 15 and sleep is getting better.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:23 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Bound and Determined

Thanks Tanja and Sadsoul. Yeah Sadsoul, I'm doing better otherwise as long as I deliberately shut down a major portion of my brain for the moment. There is, and I know its just waiting to bubble up a Mount Everest of emotions pertaining to alot of events that have occurred, some self inflicted, others not. I'm sticking with admitting I'm powerless over alcohol and that my life had become unmanageable at the moment and focusing on the present. If I dipped into that whirlpool, I'd be right back with the bottle. I don't think its wise to let it all just "come up" at once. A contained "slow release" with a counsellor's help every week seems to be the best way. I think (hope) I have the capacity to know what issues and problems to avoid dwelling on at the moment and stay fairly externalized and in the moment at this early stage. As long as I can tell myself "dont go there" right now I think I'll keep treading water or even hopefully rising above it a bit. Good point about it being busy here at night, I hadn't thought of that. When I'm lying in the bed unable to sleep my mind does tend to start to head off into dangerous territory. If I can't sleep its probably better to get out of the bed and my head and focus on something positive. Thank you very much.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:29 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Sadsoul I totally hear you. My husband comes home from work and enjoys a glass or two of wine and it's pretty hard for me. I actually found that it was easier for me to be at a party this weekend where everyone was drinking (and I wasn't) than to be at home with my dh while he drinks. I think I was "entertained" by my friends and it made it easier. With my husband I just have to watch him relax in front of the t.v. Blah.

Running totally helps!!
Old 11-01-2011, 05:36 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Gerbosko, I like how you responded to everyone like that, well done.

Tanja, it's getting hard to find a book I haven’t read. I wonder sometimes if I could make my way into addiction counseling; once I'm all clean. I have read enough books, feels like I went to school.

I hear many say they get tired, anxious, etc after a couple week sober. I can tell you, and it's been mentioned here, when I have been a few weeks free, I got into a nice eating plan, worked out 1 or 2 times a week (don't overdo it), and make sure and get 8 good hrs of sleep. You will hit that pink cloud they talk about, trust me.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:12 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I must try this "running" you people speak of. How do you do it? :rotfxko

I can honestly say that I feel like my mental fog is lifting. My headaches are finally starting to go away, and I think chugging water all day and eating better have had a part in that. I must've been dehydrating myself for years. I've also been making small, accomplishable to-do lists each day to get myself back on track (even if it is just returning an e-mail and loading the dishwasher). Baby steps.

Philb, a meditation class sounds amazing. Let us know how it goes! I don't meditate nearly enough, but I've had some really powerful experiences with it. I hope it helps you.

I'm so thankful for all of the Octobers. You're all such an inspiration and full of good ideas. Oh, and I hope all of the spouses (including mine) start to take a hint.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:17 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's related to something called 'exercise' LS...
lol.

D
Old 11-01-2011, 06:19 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Little Sparrow don't knock it until you try it! There are many great things about running, but the fact that it's free and easy (meaning, you can just go out the door and your doing it) make it a terrific work out. And stress reliever.

Plus, you'll feel like a bad ass.

My favorite running shirt says "Badass Mother Runner" on it. My kids think it's funny.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:19 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

How do you do it?
Light a fire cracker and run like hell!
Old 11-01-2011, 06:21 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Apropos of nothing, I just ate a big fat cup of heath bar crunch ice cream instead of the chardonnay I wanted.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:40 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

WOW! A page 2 already? Jeezz...

Happy November everyone!

I'm home from outpatient and making myself a lean cuisine tonight (It was only $2.00!). I've never had one before; there's always PB&J if it's awful.

DAY 30 FOR ME!!! Whooo! Well, actually I guess I'm on day 31? Whatever. My sober date is 10/1/11

Ooops, dinner's ready! Talk to you all later!
Old 11-01-2011, 07:40 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Good evening Octobers. wow...just checked in and there are so many great posts. comments on just a few...

alaska, sadsoul, cardio....i can hardly imagine how difficult it must be to have your partner drink at home while you are sober. this is our journey, not necessarily our loved ones journey as well. these days i truly prefer the company of sober people. this isn't just about stopping drinking, it's building a better life, happy, simple, sober, as alaska put it once i think. so i am glad you are all here with your sober crowd to support you.

littlesparrow...i relate to your comment about drinking water. i think i was severely dehydrated on the long term before i stopped drinking. i feel better, rest better, have better clarity...and folks have mentioned that i look better. i think it's the rest and fluids that i had been depriving my body of.

runners...thanks for reminding me of the importance of exercise to my recovery and healing. i have been doing a great early morning walk, but let it slide for the last few days with the snowstorm here and just plain taking my health and sobriety for granted. must make exercise a priority.

cardio...please pass the heath bar crunch...super-yum!

good night and sweet dreams, all.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:28 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

New thread, wow. I guess we talk a lot. And wow, November. Hoping for a second month of sobriety. Things are overall going well again in my neck of the woods. Not great, but good. Work's not killing me, the cravings are backing off again, and I've even been working out again. Right now, today, I don't miss it. I'm guessing that won't stay forever, but it's nice.

Oh yeah, and for alaska's question. Day 32, no formal recovery program.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:34 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Wow our group sure is busy posting a lot! I got out of class early tonight so hopping on here before another night of going to sleep early. I dont know whats with me and all the sleep but it must be one way of trying to recover from the drinking damage. I had a super bad headache this afternoon but from past experience I know that after a week or so they should go away. Off to bed to wake up another day hangover free!

Phil meditating sounds cool, Ive tried reading up on it but havnt had luck with it.

Zenjen congrats on hitting your 30 days!
Old 11-01-2011, 08:43 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats on 30 days Jen

D
Old 11-01-2011, 10:09 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Getting ready for bed sober and happy.

It's only been a little over a week and I'm already noticing such a positive difference in my mind and body.

Congrats to everyone on their self improvement.

Goodnight!
Old 11-01-2011, 11:14 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Good Night Octsobers...sober tobers..

I had one of my women's bible studies tonight and I came out and admitted I am and alcoholic! One gal had just admitted to the group she had a past heroin addiction and had been a prostitute, so felt it was safe to share about my issue. They were so nice, reassuring us we were okay and that God was there to get us back up. They seemed sooo sure about that! Even quoted some scripture! It was very encouraging. And they weren't even alcoholics, but still seemed to "get it". Sweeett
going to bed sober again!
I love you guys!!
Old 11-01-2011, 11:35 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you've found another level of support alaska

D