Notices

Class of October 2011 pt 2

Old 10-21-2011, 05:48 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Good morning all,

Gr8tful, I tried to find the October chat just now and I don't see it. Does it dissapear if it's not active? I would love to join you all live some night. This might help me a lot, especially on Monday nights when I am alone with the AV. Thank you for setting this up!

So many postive posts here. I'm so happy to be part of this class. Honestly, I'm still struggling a little but my intention and desire to quit for good is still here and I'm not going to give up.

Have a great Friday!
Old 10-21-2011, 05:48 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Happy Sober Friday to all!!! So many new great posts this week - thanks to you all for being here.

Well....it's about time to head into the "hard" days - are we all ready??
Old 10-21-2011, 05:56 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Birchgreen View Post
I've had a bit of an epiphany - 24 days now without alcohol, and I can honestly say that I have had no real cravings. I have quite successfully shut up the AV when it dares to pop into my head. I have not gone this long without for decades, and I have been puzzling why it seems so easy this time, when previous attempts, even to go 2 days without, have been such hard work....

The difference this time I think is that I don't feel I am depriving myself. In the past, if I have ever gone without alcohol for a day or so, I have always felt that I am missing something, denying myself some sort of pleasure/reward, thus making it all too easy to go back to drinking ("I deserve it", "I need cheering up", etc etc - you all know the AV chat). Somehow, it's like a switch has been flicked in my head and I don't see alcohol in the same way. I see that it is not a reward, it's not even enjoyable for me - I just abuse it. To drink would be to deprive myself of an enjoyable time, not the other way round.

Does that make sense?
It makes perfect sense!! I am feeling exactly the same way!! Are you a mind reader? Have you read RR? This time around hasn't been bad at all. (Maybe since I've made the decision - finally - that *this* *is* *it*.) We've even had alcohol in the house every day (and I don't see that changing anytime soon). Now - I do have irritability - but, as I said earlier in the week, I actually think it is my AV whispering to me. Since I realized that a couple of days ago my irritability and anxiety have been slowly improving. Not gone but on the right track.

I'm glad to hear that you're doing so well!

p.s. How is your father-in-law? Continued prayers ((hugs))
Old 10-21-2011, 06:05 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

What do you do for fun/hobbies??

One last post and then I have to get to work ...

Going into the weekend, I thought it might be worthwhile to share some fun activities/hobbies we like to do in our spare time - it might help those of us struggling with finding things to do. It is amazing how much time I have now that I don't drink. I'm finding it good to fill up the time with things I like to do (instead of housework haha).

So....

What type of hobbies does everyone have? What do you do for fun?
Old 10-21-2011, 06:21 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Well, allright - ONE more post...... wish I could hang out here all day

My hobbies include crocheting, knitting, cross-stitching and sewing - I also like to read (mostly non-fiction), follow politics, watch movies......and, lately, sleep.

It has been so fun to get some projects going. I wasn't getting much done lately because it is hard to do these types of thing when you're drunk. It is also fun to work with my kids - teaching them. Something we can do together.

I always thought it would be really cool to have a room full of model trains, but we have no space (or money) for anything like that.... Just a dream - I have to suffice with going to see train shows when they're in town.

What about everyone else??
Old 10-21-2011, 06:23 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Hi SS - thanks for asking...my father-in-law is still with us and doing ok (for a dying man). He is even able to speak on the phone when not too spaced out on morphine. He's in a hospice now and they are really looking after him. He's basically as comfortable as he can be (helped a wee bit I think by the bottle of Islay single malt whisky my mother-in-law took in for him the other day!)

My hobbies are..... music, & I've just got back into doing pottery after a few years break.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:03 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

I just checked and I also did not see the same October chat room I saw last night. Gr8ful what is your expert advice? :-)

Others: Birchgreen I am in awe and I just want to get where you and Sadsoul are. Unfortunately I guess my 30 year relationship with a glass of wine is still struggling to remain with me and I am missing it. I have had the same issues with bad exes in the past so I know I am capable of missing something that makes me miserable!

Anyway your posts are inspirational, truly ,I cannot wait to be there. One day at a time. Or if it were a soap opera, "As the Waistline Expands..." I swear I am gaining weight!

Love reading how everyone is doing.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:31 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

What's everyone's plan for tonight? My plan is to go to a school event with my children. Everyone will be sober whether they want to be or not! Works for me!

Tomorrow night I hope to go to the movies and indulge in some lovely candy. I think it helps to have something to look forward to that is alcohol free
Old 10-21-2011, 07:59 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Good morning guys. Geez I have like 6 pages of posts I'll have to catch up on tonight. I went out last night and got wasted after almost being fired bc of this co worker who has had it out for me from day 1 of her starting. It's like I couldn't even try to stick up for myself bc my boss only listens to what the co worker says and no one else. I haven't been that upset in a long time and wanted to escape. Bummer is here I am starting over again feeling scared about how I will ever stay sober when something like that happens. And feeling like crap today and have to go deal with this co worker all day. I found a different AA meeting to try out tomorrow morning bc at this point something has def got to change.

You guys are all so strong! Any tips for me on how you deal with anger without having a drink?

Have a great day everyone!
Old 10-21-2011, 09:40 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Tgif

Wow. Day 15. This is an accomplishment. The past few times I tried to quit and was in the august and then the september "class" I dont think I made it to 2 weeks. And I know in July I think a week was the longest I went sober. So this is progress!! Feels good.
I just dropped my 13 year old son off at his Dad's this morning for his week with him. So I am free to just focus on ME this weekend. Plan to attend AA meetings, a saturday morning bible study and I am having lunch with my 21 year old. I will probably attempt to make a necklace/bracelet. That is my hobbie for now, playing with beads! Oh, and I have a golden retriever, and I may take him to the dog park. He LOVES it there.
Well back to work. I'll check in and see if that chat room is there later on
!

:ghug3
Old 10-21-2011, 09:52 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. It waS great reading everyone's post from last night and earlier today. Honeypie, goodcheer, seethroughblue....I am there with you on the wine. My husband suggested to me one time, that maybe I didn't have to give up all alcohol, just wine, because I can't seem to drink more than two beers. I tried it for a couple weeks and promptly proved him wrong by drinking a 6 pack one weekend with friends. LOL. And Honeypie..I just put my scale away. No reason to even deal with that right now.

I am going to try the chat next week gr8ful. It sounds fun, but I am going to be honest and say I have never in my life been in a chat room ( I can be technologically challenged at times) so I hope I don't screw anything up.

Birchgreen..I too have a weekend out coming up and it really worries me. I like the ideas of drinking soda water with lime. Is that how you order it? Will the bartender know what I am talking about? It's pretty funny that I am unsure about whether or not they serve non-alcoholic drinks at a bar!

Anyways, I am doing ok today. Fighting cravings, but it is a Friday and it will be my first weekend sober in a long, long time.

Good luck to everyone,and like debinaweb said...there are so many great post I feel like I am not commenting on but they all help me!
Old 10-21-2011, 10:10 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Birchgreen - What type of pottery do you do? I've always been fascinated by throwing pots etc... (I think I'm saying that right ??) I still have tiny bowl that I made from clay when I was in 5th grade However, I'm not skilled at doing the real thing. Very neat hobby!!!
Old 10-21-2011, 10:11 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by honeypie View Post
Or if it were a soap opera, "As the Waistline Expands..." I swear I am gaining weight!
You have a great sense of humor - love reading your posts Thanks!
Old 10-21-2011, 10:19 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

BoozeFree - ((Hugs)) I'm so sorry that you're struggling. However, you ARE strong - you keep coming back and trying!!!

Do you have any kind of physical release when you get mad/angry? Can you go for a walk or do you have a punching bag or something? Or, maybe you can write down how you're feeling. I know writing is helping me (something I never thought about doing before).

Please posting to us; we care!
Old 10-21-2011, 10:21 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Cardio and Alaskasunshine - Sounds great that you guys already have plans for tonight!!!

Alaska - What kind of jewelry are you making? I've had some friends that used to do that. I've never tried but I do like wearing some of the pieces (earrings) that they've made. Sounds like fun!
Old 10-21-2011, 10:25 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by microbio1 View Post
My husband suggested to me one time, that maybe I didn't have to give up all alcohol, just wine, because I can't seem to drink more than two beers. I tried it for a couple weeks and promptly proved him wrong by drinking a 6 pack one weekend with friends.
This sounds like how I was! As long as a drink had alcohol in it I was good to go. Doing straight shots and chasing with wine and beer always worked for me. I was one that wasn't affected by mixing..... Yuck!! Now that thought turns my stomach. Some of the stuff I drank I couldn't stand.... Sad.

But - not anymore!! Thank God!!
Old 10-21-2011, 12:07 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Microbio just ask for "club soda and lime" and guess what? It's FREE!
Old 10-21-2011, 12:30 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sadsoul2011 View Post
Birchgreen - What type of pottery do you do? I've always been fascinated by throwing pots etc... (I think I'm saying that right ??) I still have tiny bowl that I made from clay when I was in 5th grade However, I'm not skilled at doing the real thing. Very neat hobby!!!
I throw pots on the wheel as well as hand-building, slab & coil etc etc - I try my hand at most things - I love it - it's like being a kid again, making mud pies! I would love to have my own studio with a kiln, but I have to make do with joining a ceramic club until I win the lottery.....

Just back from first dinner out this weekend - great meal, great company & no hangover tomorrow...yay!
Old 10-21-2011, 12:34 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Stronger Together

Isn’t it a fine new day?! I haven’t felt this good in decades. Its noontime day 4, and I am still in my early-in-the- day PC, I guess. I don’t mind. I know from paying attention here that it will come and go ( right Zen?); and am trying to stay ever mindful that this is like some cosmic gift that I don’t deserve but shouldn’t refuse.

I want to applaud all of you people breaking your personal bests, and everyone racking up the days!!! Everyone forging ahead and posting is, for me, breaking trail. Hubster and I love to Xcountry ski, and breaking trail is a term for being in the lead and being the person to lay the initial tracks in fresh snow for the rest of the party in a back-country situation, and also to navigate if necessary. The tracks need to be uniformly spaced, and it’s sometimes a lot of extra work compared to gliding in them from behind. Anything encountered in the lead is easily conveyed to the ones following along. Like.. watch out for the dogpoo in the track!! Oh my, I digress. Looking forward to snow! I am happy to be gliding in these mental tracks this fine October day, with my friends.

And BF, (sorry,I am still mentally stuck on the skiing analogy) you may have taken a faceplant, but luckily your friends will untangle you, knock the snow off you and put you back in the track with us. Okay? I really want you to come with us.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:42 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

hi everyone...hope all is well today. thanks for all the great posts here.

i have given so many of my hobbies to alcohol. i am suddenly finding room and energy, and i think i need to leave myself open to finding new sources of pleasure. i used to read constantly, but i don't think i've read five books in fifteen years. i would say this is entirely due to drinking wine in the evenings. i do have young kids, which would get in the way of reading. but i think i would have been reading a bit before bed every night if i hadn't been drinking wine all this time. i also used to write constantly, kept a daily journal and would plan out ideas for stories i wanted to write. i also used to run regularly. since i stopped drinking i have been walking often and starting to feel a bit more fit. there's this extra energy i need to burn off and i listen to music on my ipod, folky blues is my favorite. music really helps me.

i told a good friend about my situation today. he was real supportive, and said we do not need to drink when we are together, no biggie. simple as that...i so appreciated it.

my sponsor has checked in with me twice today, with just a little supportive sentence or two. it makes a big difference to me.

last night i had a big scary challenge. i was dealing with some social issues my tween daughter is having at school, trying to tune in and be present without my usual fog of wine. there is a lot of girlie drama and it was making me anxious. looking in the fridge, i saw a bottle of dessert wine someone gave me a long time ago, lying on its side way in back. i was seized with the desire to drink it...it was overwhelming to me. really felt panicky. at first i thought of opening it up and dumping it out, but that seemed too risky. when my huz got home i handed it to him and asked him to get it out of the house. i am really committed to my sobriety, but the need is so strong at times. at a meeting yesterday a man approached me afterward and warned me, i know you are feeling good but you are in a very vulnerable place right now. be careful and keep coming to meetings. he was so right. i almost chucked everything in a moment of weakness.

thanks guys. sending peace and strength.