Notices

Class of September 2011 Part 2

Old 09-30-2011, 06:47 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by alaskasunshine View Post
Trying to quiet the voices, but they are very loud and persistant today for some reason. I did make it to a meeting at lunch. Still, the craving is there. Day 8 is more than halfway over. That IS something.
Remind yourself of the pain you felt just before you quit and think about having to go through early sobriety again. Do you really want to experience all that suffering again? I don't think so.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:00 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by juststopit View Post
Is it possible to be an alcoholic but not have other emotional baggage? I feel like the depression and anxiety I experience are the result not the cause of my drinking.
May very well be. Many alcoholics are not "dual diagnosis". Alcoholism is simply not being able to control how much you drink once you take that first sip. Also, alcohol is a depressent so using alcohol can lead to being down.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:02 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Good morning, you guys are all doing great!

Irish you summed it up!exhausted, dehydrated, and headachey is exactly how I feel this morning.

I keep thinking why cant I stop when I wake up feeling so horrible and then I remember bc I am an alcoholic and cant have just 1. And moderation is not an option. I prayed this morning to just get thru today sober and only focus on today. At first this morning I thought its friday just drink all weekend and start monday but why wait when I can start today! Im sure I will be on here a lot tonight so that I dont drink. Also leaving all money at home today so that I wont be able to buy beer on my way home tonight.

Today I choose to be sober.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:40 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hey everyone, working on day 8 so I got the first week down
Old 09-30-2011, 09:17 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Keep On Keeping On

Hello Fellow Septembers!

Welcome to the last day of the month and hope you all are doing well. I am on day 8 myself and feeling good. Trying to keep my spirits up and remembering what is important to me. Happiness, just wanting to wake up and smile each day instead of dreading it.

I think my main goal for October is to get through my DUI classes with an open mind instead of dreading them. They can only help me. 5 weeks of classes, 4 days a week for intensive out patient treatment can only help, right?

What are all of your goals for October besides being sober (that is a given )?
Old 09-30-2011, 10:25 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Day 20 for me. I am finding myself to being somewhat forgetful as of late, as if my brain is off in La La Land sometimes. Is anybody experiencing anything similar?
Old 09-30-2011, 10:49 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by juststopit View Post
I drank because beer tasted good, and one or two beers in the evening on the back porch or out with friends was nice. But then after two beers I couldn't stop. So my question is, am I deluding myself? Is it possible to be an alcoholic but not have other emotional baggage? I feel like the depression and anxiety I experience are the result not the cause of my drinking.

Have great days everyone....looking forward to a beautiful, sober, fall weekend!
I like the taste of beer as well, and I started out buying good beers that I liked. As time went on, I started buying cheaper beer because I was drinking so much, and then I started buying cheap light beer because it went down easier and didn't fill me up.

...and I also didn't think I had any emotional problems. I don't think there is any reason to get drunk all the time if you're not hiding from or aovioding SOMETHING.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:50 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

me too

Originally Posted by IrishEyes88 View Post
When sober, I get intense anxiety. I get dizzy, my chest and back muscles get stiff. My stomach flutters. And I know that a little drink would put a stop to all of it.
Oh I hear you, how just a little alcohol will take that feeling away!! So I would have "a little" , and then the craving for more would always kick in and i would have more and wake up the next morning right back where I was! It's what kept me on my "binges" each time. The latest was last week, I am on day 9.
Hang in there! Glad you joined us!
Old 09-30-2011, 11:04 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Today I'm having tooth pain, and I don't know what it is about pain that makes me want to drink, but I totally do. I considered getting non-alcoholic beer just to shut my mind up, but I instead settled on buying a cup of coffee. I NEVER drink coffee, but I was looking for some kind of high that I thought alcohol would give me.

And, I'm happy to say it worked! My craving is gone! Who knew?
Old 09-30-2011, 12:22 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Antabuse

Okay, just took my antabuse so i am set for the weekend! Am going to a family church retreat with my 13 year old son. I am new to this church and don't really know anyone very well, so am a little nervous. Had thought about bringing a small (half pint) bottle. I told myself since it was out at this remote camp, I would not have access to more. But then I looked at a map and saw it was only 3 miles from a liquor store. And I know that if I brought just a little, I would want more, and would go get it, even if I told myself I wasn't going to. I just have no power over it when I get like that. They say, first you take the drink, then the drink takes a drink, then the drink takes you. I never quite understood that, but it is true for me today. *sigh* yes, i want to be a normal drinker. But I am not. I am sure a normal drinker wouldn't even consider bringing a bottle or having these thoughts.
So here is to a sober weekend for all of us!
Old 09-30-2011, 01:11 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Day 22 and it's been a struggle because it's a Friday, but I haven't gone to the pub and won't now as I don't want a hangover tomorrow. I'm single and live with my dog and I also work from home, so at times I go a bit stir crazy and the pub was always the place I went for company. So, I'm a bit bored but, more importantly, sober and I'm glad you're all here.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:37 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have a great weekend guys - congratulations to everyone on their progress

juststopit - the more I hang out on SR the more different types of drinkers I meet.

Many people have told me they just like the taste, but once they started they couldn't stop.

Some people, like me, need to deal with a lot of baggage and make major changes in their lives to stay sober...others just...stop drinking.

Whatever your deal is, I don't believe it makes your problem any better or worse than anyone's else's - just different

I think forgetfulness is pretty common Primrose - most of us drank pretty hard - our minds have to heal as much as our bodies too.

It does usually get better tho

sorry about your tooth pain CS - I hate to say it but about the only thing that fixes that stuff for good is a dentist

I'm glad you decided to go sober this weekend AS - have a great time with your son

great pros and cons post kopfan thanks!

D
Old 10-01-2011, 07:00 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Just checking in. Hope everyone is having a nice weekend so far. Off to fertilize the lawn...what fun!
Old 10-01-2011, 08:01 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Fell off waggon yesterday on day 5,looks like i gotta join the october group...sorry...
Old 10-01-2011, 09:05 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stevie88 View Post
Fell off waggon yesterday on day 5,looks like i gotta join the october group...sorry...
Pick yourself up and dust yourself off! You will succeed
Old 10-01-2011, 10:33 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Keep On Keeping On

Originally Posted by stevie88 View Post
Don't be down on yourself. If this was easy none of us would be here! Hop back on!
Old 10-01-2011, 10:37 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Keep On Keeping On

Happy Saturday All and first day of October! It's a cool day here in Wisconsin but there is lots of Wisconsin sports on today to keep me occupied (Go Badgers and Brewers ). Thinking about possibly making some apple bread or applesauce since my parents have a plethora of apples on hand from the local orchard.

Hope everyone has a great day and keep up the good work.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:37 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Stevie dont give up! I also am on another day1

Finding alternative ways to deal with feelings besides drinking has been a stuggle for me and resulted in drinking last night for me. I feel safer it I just stay home all weekend, once I leave the house I am way to tempted to drink. so home for the weekend it is
Old 10-01-2011, 06:19 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Hey, all, I love the encouragement--hop back on, dust yourself off and get up again, etc. That's my motto with everything.
Today I didn't wake up feeling awful as I often have on a Saturday morning. It's so nice to wake up taking on the day. Shoulda fertilized myself but instead cleaned like the tazmanian devil. And played with my doggie. Then there was Macy's, where the 70% off rack beckoned me. So much better than holing up and feeling lousy like I used to. Hope everyone has a good rest of the weekend.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:44 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Well I Survived day 1 of sweating all day n night and crazy stomach aches, headaches ect. Day 2 and feeling the same, maybe slightly better. I never thought after drinking for a week my withdrawal would be so bad. gonna stick it out though.