Notices

Class Of April 2010 Part 5

Old 10-19-2011, 11:20 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Originally Posted by topspin View Post
I'm still in my low income dead end job, and single.
Shoot man...Top is a self efficient, self reliant, machine. Does anything and everything. Rip a tree out in the morning, then fix a boat motor, then catch some shrimp on a boat, then enjoy them over a nice fire. Sounds great to me.

Anyway...UBM! Welcome back bro! You have been missed. Post as much as you want. Congrats on the marriage.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:09 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Thanks all for receiving me. Probably, everyone can recall the time one was under the
influence of alcohol was really traumatic. Certain memories still haunt me but April 2010
was really like an epiphany for me because it was the first time I truly shared my feelings
about my relationship with alcohol to others and got honest feedback. Things dramatically
changed for me after I joined soberrecovery. I look back on it now with regret that I was caught in that vicious circle of drinking everyday to relieve my pain. But actually, for me
it was alot easier after getting thru the initial wall of day to day drinking.
The first part was the most difficult.

Kim Congratulations! baby girl. Such a blessing!

Ghostly, hey we are the same age about I guess and good luck with all your new happenings!

American Girl, getting married was the happiest moment in my life so far.
Being a nervous type some of the ceremonial aspects especially the anticipation
of them coming were difficult but I really felt at ease because my wife always
supported me and knew how to push my buttons in a positive way to calm me down.

So I think before I was afraid to get married because I didn't realize that though its a challenge, the power of LIFE X2 is so powerful there was so much more power to get thru
it all. I never realized that before when I was single.

chattering sorry...

Top Spin Man...really enjoy reading your posts as well.
Keep on inspiring me yo! with all the cycling boating home improvement intermingled with
poetry and prose.

Thanks everyone for hearing me initially and TRUELY I missed everyone.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:26 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

Wow it is great to pop on and see all the news, to see you again ubm and to hear kim's news about expecting again. Incredible! Congratulations!

Things have been good but busy.. Yep the new job was a major change at first, huge project, but now the dust is settling. I'm thick in the wedding planning too. I miss you all, and TS I know I'm still owing you a message and a book review, heh (haven't read it yet but am sugar free and it is wonderful!). My life continues to feel fuller and fuller as I grow as a sober person.

Peace everybody. Xo
Old 10-23-2011, 10:26 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AmericanGirl View Post
I miss you all, and TS I know I'm still owing you a message and a book review, heh (haven't read it yet but am sugar free and it is wonderful!). My life continues to feel fuller and fuller as I grow as a sober person.

Peace everybody. Xo

AG,
Glad to hear everything's moving forward. It doesn't seem that long ago things were so, sooo different for each of us.

And somedays it feels like at least a lifetime ago.

Congrats on sugar free. That's great news ( to me and, I'm sure, Ghostly )

Who would've guessed three of us <maybe more> gave up "moderating"

.....oh, and you KNOW you'll never "owe" me ANYTHING. Book review included.
You, along with the rest of our group have given me so much already.

About reading, I'm rereading Them.....after having read it three years ago through daily hangovers; it's much more provacative this time around.

It amazes me just how powerful an opportunity writers have to present subtle radical ideas through their character's thoughts. I now see how JC Oates keeps hammering away thematically.

Anyway, ....just being able to appreciate good art is one of the greatest gifts of a clear sober mind.

disclaimer : for us old guys; (me, not Dee) sobriety doesn't always indicate thorough clarity !?!

Dee;
.......... you're still a young'n mate.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:35 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not feeling that this week Top - but thanks

D
Old 10-26-2011, 08:48 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Hey Everybody,

I hope you have a great Halloween number 2 sober
!

This week was super busy teaching and we had some Halloween
parties. I'm never ceased to amazed how quick the kids grow up
year by year. You don't notice it unless you have the same ones for
a while but "WOW" Lot's of fun this year!

Old 10-26-2011, 11:45 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Living on a prayer

Hi all! Welcome back ubm!

Saw the news today that Amy Winehouse did for sure die of alcohol poisoning, and it just tugged at my heart. I know so many are all over the internet attacking her for her disease but those of us that have been there know it consumes you. I feel awful for her family, and grateful to have my sobriety, and thankful for our board.

It was just heavy on my heart, I had to come here and tell you all I love you.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:24 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Administrator

MGS

Happy Hallowe'en to all who have it or follow it

D
Old 10-27-2011, 08:27 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MyGraySkies View Post
Hi all! Welcome back ubm!

Saw the news today that Amy Winehouse did for sure die of alcohol poisoning, and it just tugged at my heart. I know so many are all over the internet attacking her for her disease but those of us that have been there know it consumes you. I feel awful for her family, and grateful to have my sobriety, and thankful for our board.

It was just heavy on my heart, I had to come here and tell you all I love you.
That was so tragic, I caught that news too. Initially they didn't know the cause then the news story atleast on the BBC was there were 3 bottles of Vodka involved as she relapsed. The take I got was that she kicked her drug habit then she stopped drinking but then drank again.

She was such a sweet dear soul. I'm so sad about her passing.

One thing I remembered hearing in the news was that she was short in stature
and a delicate type contrary to the brash image she displays in her video
like "they said you have to go to rehab I said no no no" something in those lines.

I can relate to those deep changes in personality being under the influence
brings...in the same category. Meek kind---bold outrageous.

It doesn't seem quite fair that she couldn't have had someone out of all the masses
being famous, she must have had someone that could have gotten through to her.

Her rehab officer, said that Amy always insisted on taking what she wanted and discarding
what she didn't need out of his advice (my memory)

Sounds like so many people I know.

Sad news.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:16 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Gosh, I need to get my butt in here more often. This forum has livened up again

Great to see you back UBM!!!!

Top, just finished holidays a couple of weeks back but yeah we have more in about 7 weeks! I love Australian school terms And Top - I 2nd Ghostly's comments on your awesomeness. I love your posts!!!

Things have really been up and down for me and I guess that's why I have kept away. I wont go into great details, but recently something quite disturbing happened and it is taking me a bit to get over. Does not involve me directly, don't want to worry you all but does involve some of my students.

I also have to have a major operation at the end of this year and will spend all of the summer holidays recovering. I am trying to remain optimistic and look at it as a time to just take some time out to watch movies. I will have an incredibly busy year professionally next year, so I guess it gives me the opportunity to get myself ahead in that way too. Smooth sailing then....

I am so glad this forum is still going. I don't think I have ever seen it disappear off the first page.

to all of you

Old 10-29-2011, 07:19 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

UBM, and Oz,
Teaching has got to be one of the most demanding, yet rewarding professions out there.

I always get the best vibs whenever I've had the chance to be around a school atmosphere.

years ago, a few primary school teachers used to bring their classes by my old studio for part of an art related field trip. Used to have the best time visiting a friend after school doing week long "artist-in-residence" programs in the local schools !?!

You full time professionals are true heroes in my book.

Oz, ....sorry to hear about those things with your students .
Will keep you in my thoughts about your upcoming medical work; ....and speedy,successful recovery.

Ghostly , as we all know, is the movie expert. Our library has DVD movies I'll check out some, ..............beginning to wonder how in the hell they get their selection though !?!

I'm guessing 100% donations.

And Oz,
What kind of movies do you like ?

AG, ....y'all planning a Spring date ?

MGS, ....I never knew what an incredible talent Amy was until the sad news, and subsequent articles. Have no idea what to think of folks attacking people who've passed away. ....pity, maybe.

Oz, you hang in there ( from a fellow optimist)
Old 10-29-2011, 07:23 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Administrator

You work pretty hard here too Oz - glad you see you're planning to take it easier over the end of the year break....even if they have to operate on you to make you do it

D
Old 10-31-2011, 09:06 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone,

Wow, it is so nice to be back in this group. I just feel so much comradery
here from before. People are here because they were in a similar cycle
pattern with one another so the timing and keeping contact with the forum
for me anyway is essential. (destiny)

TS, I didn't know too much about Amy Winehouse before either. I liked
Karen Dalton and her blues and knew something of their story but Amy's passing was equally tragic. One of my coworkers mentioned his facebook friend
laughed and said, (on the lyrics they told me to go to rehab, I said no no no)
"Oh you should have gone!~" He was kind of laughing too. I bit my tongue and
you know it passes time in the lunch break etc, but he lost face with that remark.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:43 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Hope everyone is well. I just found, and ate, an entire beg of Carmel corn. I am sooooooo sick now!
Old 11-09-2011, 09:40 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

I recovered!
Old 11-09-2011, 09:50 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Administrator

lucky we're not 911, Ghostly

D
Old 11-09-2011, 09:58 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

I was beginning to think no one cared about me!
Old 11-09-2011, 10:12 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Administrator

it's the busy time of the year

D
Old 11-10-2011, 06:56 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone ...just checking in. Starting to cool down in my neck of the woods.
This summer was so freaking hot *especially because I got married in it and had
a lot of things going on during last summer period that increased my stress...so
SO GLAD FOR AUTUMN.

I've always loved Spring the best because of the freshness and new life, inspiration
but this year I think Autumn is going to be the ONE. I really enjoyed the Cosmos flowers and Tsusuki grass? I think that is what they call it here the golden tall grass on the hillside.

Looking back on strange things that I used to do when I was trying to stop drinking...
one of the weirdest that actually worked was drinking a 2 liter sports drink every night
instead of alcohol. After I put the bottle on the porch filled with purified water.
Obviously it is a good idea to stock water I thought and that was my rationality at the time but actually I was using the bottles on the porch to mark my clean days.
They are still there and I empty them out to clean the porch one by one every morning and refill them so the water is always fresh for emergency use. I never realized until today that subconsciously I was using them as a reward or chip as AA guys use to
remember my sober days. Also if I drank tea or something I had no measure of how much
I drank and the sports drink has salts magnesium other things athletes need to replenish
body so good for alcoholics as well. The sports drink kept me thirsty probably because of the salt so I kept drinking it for a long duration whilest drinking normal water might make one full.

Strange Ideas that work...any other stories?

Hope all are Well!!!!
Old 11-10-2011, 06:24 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Not sure if this counts UBM but in early sobriety I could not drink out of certain glasses. They were my drinking glasses. Silly really but I guess it is a psychological thing. I also went through a stage where I couldn't put ice in my drinks. I am well over that one now.

But i would definitely always need some kind of fluid nearby. Drank A LOT of water in early days..

btw ghost... of course we care. :ghug3 Lay off the caramel corn though hey?

Hope everyone is well