Notices

Class of June 2011 Part 9

Old 08-31-2011, 04:39 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Tuesday please see your doc about the depression. I was kind of against going that route I thought simply not drinking everything would seem better but its only highlighted how out of balance my mind is. I know there are natural methods out there but there is no need to suffer it is such an awful debilitating thing to be depressed. Obviously drinking makes it worse and its hard to find where one ends and the other starts or which came first but it needs to be dealt with.

Mariano thank you for telling me your experience with the prozac - it gives me hope that it wont be long until my mood lifts - I am certainly finding a bit of enthusiasm is leaking back into my mind even if im not putting it into action yet. I think my step work helps too although it tired me out and I went for a quick "nap" afterwards and ended up waking up a few hours later and had to get fish and chips for our dinner cos it was too late to start cooking!

Blackbird how are you doing you have been quiet?

I know im not the only one with depression here but ive been quite "vocal" about it recently. It helps. Please nobody suffer in silence it does seem too much effort to talk about it when the lead boots are weighing you down but its an illness that can be dealt with usually easier than the addiction we all suffer with. I wonder one day if they ever will create a drug that "cures" addiction. If we all manage to get sober for many years would we take that drug?

Its late and I think I am taxing my brain a little too much with that last poser.......
Old 08-31-2011, 04:53 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tuesday24 View Post
I am in too Bratnik!

Pumpkin, I think I have a form of depression as well. I was on meds as a teenager for it and would like to use a more natural approach this time. I have very low lows sometimes and can barely talk or get out of bed some days. It was definitely gotten worse since my last relapse.
I am holding on by a thread most times but I KNOW this will pass..it HAS to!!
Tuesday, it is very probable that you have a strong depression. I would suggest to visit your doctor-psychiatrist. Antidepressants work today very well and have little or no side effects. If you simply wait, perhaps you will have to wait a long time... or perhaps the depression becomes chronic (that happens), perhaps in a less heavy form.

Anyway, a natural remedy for mild depression is sport and work out, but if the depression is severe probably you will feel unable to do it. So going to the doctor is the best option.

Some persons that are prone to depression became alcoholics as a form of "self-medication". But alcohol is in fact a depressant, so it only mitigates the sypmtomps during a couple of hours, and then it makes things worse.

So today is the anniversary of King Henry V)?

KING HENRY V:
This story shall the good man teach his son;
And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by,
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remember'd;
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition:
And gentlemen in England now a-bed
Shall think themselves accursed they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:16 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Dee: Disclaimer - no medical advice

Tuesday - I take 400 mg of Sam-E a day. My therapist recommended it to me. Whether it is a placebo or not , it works for me and helps with my depression. You can purchase it at any health food store that carries supplements.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:32 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  
Administrator

Tuesday

I really recommend you see A Dr too - no offence to anyone but I tried for years to deal with my depression myself and got pretty much nowhere.

I took meds for a while...now I don't take any meds at all - but I'm glad I got some professional advice....

and guys - I know we all want to help but please remember our med advice rule includes OTC stuff too.

What worked for you may be totally unsuitable for someone else.
It's safest to always check with your Dr before starting any new supplement etc.

Thanks

D
Old 08-31-2011, 05:44 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Hi.

For some unexplainable reason, my desire to drink has returned with a vengeance these last couple of days. I haven't acted on it and am practicing my mindfulness technique, taking my Paxil, and perservering. One day at a time and all that. But I just can't stop thinking that THAT day will come- that this is all just a temporary reprieve to allow my liver and body to heal so I can go back to the bottle, that I have merely reset my abilities to handle alcohol for a few more years or whatever until I repeat the process.

I haven't thought like this for months, but last time it was my undoing- a two day binge. Maybe it is PAWS, maybe I'm thinking of autumn, which for me always meant football/tailgating/Halloween/Vegas trip.

Putting my head down and pushing thru, but that's not how I want to live my moments.......
Old 08-31-2011, 05:44 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Sorry Dee. I thought I was ok with that recommendation.

I used to be extremely medicated. It was awful. If anyone wants to speak meds, PM me. I'm off them now and feeling better. I think I was over-medicated.

xo Dee.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:52 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

4thekidz- I understand how this is happening. I think it sneaks up on all of us after a point in time.

My advice is trivial, but just don't go there. I'll tell you from my relapse, it's not worth it. You'll feel fuzzy and messy and want to go to sleep. Don't do it. Keep your mind and body pristine.

Music? What do you like to hear? Favorite songs. Play them. Take a walk, hang with the kids, have a coffee. Just don't go there. Learn from my mistakes, it's SO not worth it.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:01 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Administrator

no worries Anna - no one broke any rules

4thekidz - I dunno about anyone else but I've had days like that when I felt the old call, and I still have down days, even tho I have no desire to drink.

I find it important to remember life is still life - there's still ups and downs, and it's not possible to be blissfully happy everyday...

but even the bad days are better now I've left alcohol behind

It's natural to think of drinking from time to time I think - it was for me, especially in the first year...but we don't have to act on those thoughts anymore....they grow weaker and die away in my experience

You've been sober for a while now...there's no reason that shouldn't continue so long as you stay firm in your commitment to stay that way

Just do tomorrow what you did today, ya know?

D
Old 08-31-2011, 07:51 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Evening peeps!

As predicted, I was crazy busy at work...last day of the month and all that. I just got home about 30 mins ago.

Last day of the month is a bit of a trigger for me - good reason to celebrate. I could feel it a little while I was working away tonight...just that little bit of anticipation that you get. At that point I did a little meditation...got very quiet and focused on my breathing...and it went away. On the way home I felt fine but also thought some chicken wings would be good for dinner - the only hitch is that my faves come from a bar not too far from my place. My routine in the past would have been to have a couple of drinks while I wait for the wings. Tonight I called ahead, was in and out in 60 seconds!

When I got home I could see my wife sort of checking me out. I think she thought that maybe I'd cave tonight. I didn't say anything to her...hopefully she doesn't think that I was drinking.

Month end finished fine. Wings were good. It's a nice night...70 degrees out there right now...hot tub is climbing to 102. I'm going to go and have a little soak and then get to bed!

I'll be online for a bit though.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:26 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

What if things ended differently?

Hey gang--,

TP--> I love wings too, why are all the good ones found in watering holes? I find myself often times just picking up a package of fresh raw ones at the store and then experimenting on my own. Good for you for picking 'em up with a quickness!

4tk--> I echo Bratnik here; find something else to get your head right. You are above resorting to booze.

Super tired tonight. I had my kid at the park today and I witnessed a brutal attack in the alley next to the park. 3 on 1. the 3 kids jumped a single guy and maced him, along with whipping up on him, for swiping some electronics. Thankfully, I had been talking to another lady at the park who was there with some youngsters of her own, so I was able to leave my kid and break things up, get the plate # and then call the cops... after a lot of other crap went down. I started toward the commotion and said something to the effect that "this behavior will not be tolerated in this neighborhood. Break it up and go, I have your license plate number." The clan jumped in a car and drove at me like they were going to hit me. I had to jump out of the way to avoid being hit. I am certain now I probably shouldn't have done what I did, but as those of you with kids can relate, stuff like that puts one in fight mode when your kid is witnessing that sort of aggression and violence. It was her first time seeing anything that vulgar and brutal. The kid who was singled out didn't even thank me. He fled because he knew I had the cops on the horn... What kind of world am I bringing my daughter into? What happened to a 1 on 1 knuckle fight to solve an issue such as thievery? What a day. My wife is at work until 1 am tonight and I am just reliving how close I was to getting maimed or worse. That guy really didn't give an F about me, even though he saw me coming from the playground in which many youngsters were playing about. I let things drag on for a while before I made my move, but holy mackarel it's a sick world we live in these days. I let my daughter stay up an extra 2 hours tonight I was so thankful to still be around her.

PN
Old 08-31-2011, 09:47 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're ok PN.

D
Old 08-31-2011, 11:07 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Good morning All

Well new month and was reading me list again that i wrote yesterday and it hit home a little more, that drinking is no good for me and only brings on bad feelings and stress. It was the end of month sales at work and they all go to the pub as work put money behind the bar, as we all hit are targets etc. Yes i went and had 4 beers, but i wont be going next month thats for sure, i will start this month as i mean to go on SOBER, and going back to AA, as support is a key to beating this for me, thank you all for putting up with my down falls etc. Classical no harm done, as only know you was trying to give me the push i needed, so off to have a bath and work and all have a good day.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:28 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

September 2011 has so far been and I know will continue to be a sober month for me!

Bloody hell, one month today and I am 30!!!

Yesterday, my teaching contract ended. I am now properly my own boss!

Happy, happy days!

Chimp!

Old 09-01-2011, 12:52 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  
instant

Hey everyone.

PN I am glad you are OK. The world can be a dangerous place. I am naturally a glass half empty guy. I have been trying to train myself to focus on the little positives and be grateful for them. I think it has helped me not slip back into negative territory- there are always things to point to indicating we are in a hole, disaster looms etc. In the past I would use any thing as an excuse to need some sort of relief.

Paddy on the sober meter I am now 110 days. As much as I enjoyed drinking, what I have happening now is by far more preferable. I do not envy my old self at all.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:54 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Good Morning Every one!

Oh Chimp - I do agree with the feeling of a great achievement can trigger us to drink. But, all of our triggers are different. Some may poop their pants if they were to do it (Bratnik and Classical), some may pass out - thankfully, first jumps are with a jumper who pull the cord for you, some may throw up (wouldn't want to be the guy jumping with that person), and some may party like a wild man after they do it. But, some may not. I guess what I'm saying is I agree with what some have said that this could be a trigger to drink....but it also may not. It depends on your mind set, and each individual person. I've always wanted to do it. My brother did it 13 times (he said after lucky 13 her was all set!). I know if I did it, the thrill alone would be my "high" or "buzz". What more does one need? So, yes, do it, be careful that it "may" be a trigger, and if it becomes that realize that the buzz you get from drinking will not even come close to the buzz you just got from jumping out of a perfectly fine plane. Don't ruin the moment, savor it! By the way, my mother-in-law did it at 74 years old when she was in Australia.

It is a crazy and sometimes very negative world we live in. But, I've always said, "protect your enthusiasm from the negativity of others". You cannot let the world bring you down. You have to do the complete opposite. Be the one that makes a difference, it's very contagious.

Squishy - glad to see you posting. Hope you are feeling better.

Well, I have a full day ahead of me again, so gotta get moving.

Hope every one has a good day. Can you believe it's already Labor Day weekend? We were all just saying "oh how are we going to get through the 4th of July festivities". Well...Labor Day will be a snap. Let's kick the AV's butt this weekend!
Old 09-01-2011, 05:20 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Paddy - keep posting, and keep trying - don't ever give up.

Drinking dreams are crazy, aren't they Classical. I had a number of them in the beginning - the hiding ones, like I was getting away with something. But, it was freaking me out in the dreams. And then I'd wake up and feel guilty almost. Haven't had one in a while, but I'm sure they'll keep coming back, like the one where all my teeth are falling out, or the flying dreams (the ones where I feel like I can fly....I love those - my Mom has them, too...yep, I'm nuts!....but they are relaxing). I had a symphony playing in my car yesterday - I hit the seek button, and it came on, and I had to listen smiling thinking of you. I'm so glad I have a face to people as time goes by. It sure made listening to the music even more rewarding. So, it wasn't my normal driving music, but it was fun to listen and think of you. And don't ask me what it was....I have no clue!
Old 09-01-2011, 05:24 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  
instant

It's probably my use of the SR world famous sobriety meter classical. I have personally lost track of the exact number of days. I remember confusing myself a few weeks ago thinking about when you celebrate your sobriety date. I assume one's sobriety date is one's first completed day without a drink? or is it the day you woke up and could take no more and have not drunk since? When people say it is day one they do not yet have 24 sober hours under their belt. Following this line of reasoning you cannot celebrate 90 days sober until the morning of the 91st day?

Depending on what you regard as your sobriety date you get a different number.

I do know it is amusingly banal to be fussing over this but is there a technical description somewhere?
Old 09-01-2011, 05:33 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Instant....I'm laughing out loud right now. My hubby would roar knowing there is someone out there more "anal" than me. You made my day. Hopefully, you don't take offense to this, as I think it's cute. But, congrats no matter what day it is, as it is another day sober. Have a good day, my friend!
Old 09-01-2011, 07:26 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Hi All.

Is it possible that I have been fighting the fact that I know there is a problem so I stubbornly do the opposite of what I know I should do? Does that make sense? Like a rebellious teen that does exactly what they are told not to do. I suppose I am really talking about my AV fighting against my better self, and obviously my AV is stronger or smarter than I... and somehow is beating down this thought of a sober life? Just wondering. I am sick of this fight. I want to kill this AV. Badly. Today will be the day. Time to stick up for myself.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:06 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Hey Guys -

Back in a bad place. My husband accused me of drinking last night when I wasn't. Wow, does that hurt. Part of me says I might as well just keep drinking. All of that work..feels like it's unnoticed.

Anyway, not to bring everyone down. Still up for the Labor Day Weekend pledge.

xo

anna