Notices

Class of August 2011 Pt2

Old 08-29-2011, 11:19 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

"beer breath" ..I can relate except my b/f drinks rum. Which was my drink! Sometimes i can taste it on him and it brings up mixed emotions. He does't get drunk, its hard to even know when he has been drinking. But then I smell it ....
Old 08-29-2011, 12:47 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Day 24 and hanging in there.

Therapy was depressing - 2 people didnt show up = started drinking again. There was a alcohol breath test and another person was gone. 3 in a day. The atmosphere was tense all day.

Wanted to go rollerblading after therapy, to release all the tension and anxiety, but it started to rain - went to AA meeting and a walk instead. Its getting darker sooner and the city was grey, empty and everything is closed by 7 pm. I want the summer back !!

Finished writing my assignment paper for tomorrow - now have to read it aloud a few times, so I get less emotional while reading it in therapy.

Hang in there everyone. We can learn to live being sober.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:17 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Dang... gone for a day and you all post like maniacs - I mean that in a good way

I'm super tired from my whirlwind memorial thing - trip to Michigan last night - training the guys today on driving yard tractors at our distribution center - then driving home. My mind is absolutely spinning...

Welcome MSober! Glad you're posting with us!

Alaska... I knew you'd be back... do you think you could REALLY stay away from us for that long??? Huh??? Glad you're doing better.

Stevie... I think you're doing fine. That junk has to come out of you somehow... keep yourself hydrated though. I know it's just coming right back out, but keep putting GOOD stuff in anyway. Don't want to get too thirsty... Ok.. I just read a little more down the page... glad you're feeling better

OS -- Have a great trip.... even if it's for work, enjoy! Congrats on the 13!

Ok, Sindy... it's still August No more beating yourself up - you're back in the game. So there ! :ghug3

Welcome Nostalgic... Yeah, we can all be sober - if we just would remember it's 'just for today'.

I was reading something - thanks to Dee about how we can't drink even one alcoholic drink or else the healing in our brains will start back to square one. Heck, I don't care really if I have to go through withdrawals again.... for me, I want whatever damage I did in my brain, my liver, and whatever else to heal. I can't drink. Period. That's my motivation now. I actually went into the store yesterday and bought some alcoholic beverage. Just because the urge was too strong and I kept telling myself that if I would just go ahead and buy it, it would go away. I read some Dee had on one of the other threads... I looked at stuff and said I hate you and decided I didn't want to drink it. But I wanted to keep it because in a weird way, right now I'm holding it hostage like it held me. And I feel pretty good about it...
Probably get some flack on this, but it works for me. I actually have the last cigarette out of the last pack of cigarettes I smoked - and that was 4+ years ago. I wrote 'in case of emergency' on it. Never had an emergency that was so bad that I wanted to smoke again. I'm not going to have an emergency that is so bad that I will want to drink again either.

Piotr... I'm sure you'll do fine reading your assignment in class... bummer about the other people. But sure glad you're hanging in there! Way to go!

PFS - My hubby doesn't drink, but made comments a lot about how my breath would reak especially in the middle of the night when I was breathing hard! I KNOW he's glad that is over!

Have a wonderful sober and safe Monday night! Sweet Dreams
Old 08-29-2011, 10:39 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

End of day three. Got pretty squirrely at work, not that I wanted to drink, just bored, restless, kept finding myself playing solitaire, checking facebook and of course, was here on this board a few times reading, catching up. Anyway, wasn't really focusing on work and i don't know if its because of early sobriety, or i just don't like my job? Maybe it's both. UGH. Why cant i just be grateful that i have a job!! Part of it is the fact that my two co workers know all about my drinking, first hand. Its embarrassing, I want a fresh start.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:41 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

SindyLuhu.. Back in the game, I love it. How goes it?
Old 08-29-2011, 11:01 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Day 4 done and ready to go to sleep but wanted to hop on here for a sec.

Stevie glad to hear your feeling better!

Sindyluhu- glad you came right back and not out drinking after Saturday.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:59 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Sindy
welcome back

It took me a while to disassociate certain parts of my house with drinking too, but with some work it's very possible...

I found it best to be ready for those thoughts when they came up...everyone can think of the happy rosy pictures we have of drinking...but force yourself to remember how it really was...remember the consequences...play the tape through to the end as they say.

You can do it

Congratulations to everyone else here plugging away as well

well done, guys
D
Old 08-30-2011, 12:09 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Onto Day 15 today, very happy that I dont feel any urges or havent felt any temptation to drink.
Finding that surviving on 6 and a half hours sleep per night is fine for my body.
It can be done folks, just a day at a time.
Piotr I know what you mean about wanting summer back
It might be worth investing in an SAD light
Stay strong !
Old 08-30-2011, 12:43 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Well today is day 4 and last night i had the most fantastic sleep ever....I slept for 8 hours straight through and this morning i feel amazing...Gonna take my dog out for a big walk and then come back and fix myself a huge fried breakfast.....Will update later...Many thanks you guys.....
Old 08-30-2011, 01:06 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

hmltnls

Well i didn't make it past Sunday and I feel awfull .Another shaky h/over and big disappointment.I dread Sundays I'm going to try again and be more carefull.I can't recover from the h/o ver like before it ,stays with me for three days and the depression is awful.So here I am at the beginning again.A big effort needed It just kind caught me unawares a next thing I was right in the middle of a two day binge .I'm putting alot more effort into this time
Old 08-30-2011, 02:31 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Hi All!

Hello :-)

I've been posting on the 'Alcoholism' forum, but now that I've spotted this thread - brace yourselves LOL :-)

Apologies in advance for boring anyone who knows me and my story from 'Alcoholism'.

I'm also an August quitter. Last drink - 19th August. 11 days AF today :-)

The gist: drank alone, ritualistically, privately, alcoholically in the evenings, every single day for 17 years (I'm 37 now). Drank 'normally' to 'hardly at all' when out and about.

Had an 'epiphany' (thanks to SR) in Jan/Feb this year - realised the full damage I was doing. Decided it had to stop. Finally it did on 19th Aug.

Been seeing a regular counsellor for a year, and an addiction psychiatrist for a month or so. Detoxed, medically supervised, with valium. Finished that now (yesterday evening). Taking vitamin B, a multi-vit, omega 3 and an anti-depressant (dammit - the depression I medicated against with alcohol now has free rein). Shoving in the fruit, veg and water. Exercise has yet to come...

Off work for two weeks, at least - this is the second week.

Best time of day: mornings. Worst time of day: evenings 5-8, witching hour. Tired, depressed as hell, antsy, irritable etc. No temptations to drink whatsoever. Just not good at change LOL.

Questions for you guys:

- anyone getting headaches? I suffer from bruxism - seems to have got worse since I quit, contrary to what I was expecting.

- anyone losing their appetite?

- anyone tired a lot (this might be the valium, I realise...)?

Thanks a lot and happy to meet you all!

BB
Old 08-30-2011, 03:08 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to the thread BeeBizzy

welcome back hmltnls - are you looking at doing anything different this time?

D
Old 08-30-2011, 05:47 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

A huge fried breakfast sounds sooooooo good Stevie... so what did ya have? Trying to stay away from fried as much as possible... at least at the moment.
Can't afford for my weight to go up right now... at least until after the marathon.

HML... Glad to have you back! New lessons learned and back on the bus

Welcome BeeBizzy! I had a few headaches the second week - but nothing that out of the ordinary. I grind my teeth at night (but I think it's slowly easing up - the more I get 'stuff' out in therapy). Had a couple high-priced mouthguards from the dentist that the dog ate, when I realized I could get the same thing at Walmart for a dollar a piece. The kind football players where that you have to soak in hot water. I only wear them on the bottom and it's helped tremendously. Appetite - went ravenous after the first several days for about a week - wanted carbs... Now, not so much.
Lately I have been really tired, but lots of stuff going - family get togethers, training for a marathon, going out of town for work.. been sort of non-stop. Give your body some time to recoup... sometimes it's not as fast of a process as we'd like to think it is.

30 Days for me today Feeling pretty good. Wanted to run this morning and slept instead. Been super-tired lately. Then we get a call last night from hubby's niece that they're having a birthday party for his sister Sunday. And a smaller one for everyone else's birthday in September... so we're heading to North Carolina for the weekend... more family stuff....

Have a terrific Tuesday - keep strong everyone... we're doing GREAT!
Old 08-30-2011, 07:05 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Congrats on 30 days, R4R! Great going!
Old 08-30-2011, 07:29 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

CONGRATS ON THE 30 R4R!!! WOOHOO!!!

hmltnls- welcome back

Welcome Beebizzy- I def seem to be getting annoying headaches that come and go thru out the day.

Woke up in a pretty good mood today, I prefer mornings over staying up super late. A group of kids from class were all talking yesterday about going out for taco tues after our class tonight to get drinks. I want to go bc I dont want to feel left out of the group but at the same time I can see it being a big trigger to drink. One of the kids in my class always jokes about being a "border line alcoholic" and seems to always have a handle of something in his trunk to drink thru out the day he says and while hes driving home. I think instead I might just head home and say I'm tired which I'm sure I will be after work n class all day!

Have a great sober day everyone!
Old 08-30-2011, 07:43 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Hello friends, I'm back.

It has been a long and draining couple of weeks. For those that don't know, I lost a loved one 10 days ago and it has been hard. I got through the initial stuff without wine but I have to admit I turned to it this past weekend. I'm mad at myself for allowing the alcohol to win. I was really pleased to be experiencing real emotions and deal with them in a positive way.

The addict within me was too loud and I didn't turn it off. I know what I have to do and I know why I gave in. So I'm back to day one. Unbelievable. I really despise alcohol and all that it does. This las time felt weird. I didn't enjoy the taste and I didn't enjoy the way I felt so I suppose that's the positive to come from this; I realized I haven't been missing ANYTHING.

For those that have been thinking of drinking "just one more time" don't do it. It will not do you one ounce of good.

I'm still an August member and will remain in this class...and that's that!!

Thanks for reading.

R4R, You're doinig great! Congrats on 30 days!!
Old 08-30-2011, 10:03 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Ok guys only 4 hours to go and then i will be in bed and that will mean that i have completed day 4 booze free....I have felt fantastic today and i have eaten like a man possessed.When i was drinking i would struggle to eat 500 calories per day,today i have eaten 3 meals and each meal had more than 500 calories in it.Then add on the huge bar of chocolate,biscuits and sweets...Thats all good though as at 5 foot 10 inches i only weigh 125 pounds....Tomorow i may dig out my old weights and chuck them about for a bit as when i quit boozing 2 years ago and hit the gym i managed to get to 140 pounds which was ideal.....Just want to say thanks to you guys for getting me this far,you guys really help me...
Old 08-30-2011, 10:32 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Really4Real View Post

Welcome BeeBizzy! I had a few headaches the second week - but nothing that out of the ordinary. I grind my teeth at night (but I think it's slowly easing up - the more I get 'stuff' out in therapy). Had a couple high-priced mouthguards from the dentist that the dog ate, when I realized I could get the same thing at Walmart for a dollar a piece. The kind football players where that you have to soak in hot water. I only wear them on the bottom and it's helped tremendously.
'Grats on your 30 days! Nice one - I like it!

Drinking made me internally angry so I thought I grinded more because of that. Maybe there's a different kind of stress coming out now that I've quit.

They cost an arm & a leg here (Belgium) - and I chomp through them in weeks. But they are a life-saver. Don't think you can get them any other way than from the dentist here.

Again, well done!
BB
Old 08-30-2011, 10:34 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BoozeFree View Post
Welcome Beebizzy- I def seem to be getting annoying headaches that come and go thru out the day.
Thanks, BoozeFree!
Old 08-30-2011, 10:49 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Bee... do you have any kind of sports stores? Maybe they will carry them?? or stores with sports sections in them?