Notices

Class Of July 2011 pt 3

Old 08-14-2011, 01:46 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Money & Health

Vic:

Congratulations on approaching 6 weeks of sobriety and congratulations for all the money you are saving. My doctor says that alcohol is good for nothing. I would take that a step further and say that alcohol is less than good for nothing. So we all have been spending a bunch of money to injest a poison that slowly kills us. Wonderful!

By quitting drinking our returns are outstanding for both health and money. In my case I also smoked for most of my drinking career, so the cost savings and health benefits of quitting both are even greater. I keep a tally of all the money I have saved in my daily organizer and this adds to the motivation to stay quit. It is amazing that I was spending more money on booze and cigarettes than I was on food! In addition, after 5 weeks off booze and 14months off cigarettes, I feel as good as I can ever remember. Sobriety is indeed a good deal.

Here's hoping Julians have a good day without booze!
Old 08-14-2011, 05:40 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Englishrose70

Hello Julians!

I am back home after a few days in the West Midlands catching up with family.

I went to see my cousins on Friday night and they had a bit of a party. The last time I was there I was plastered and they painfully reminded me of it! However, this time I told them I wouldnt be drinking. My cousin made a fab tropical fruit punch fountain and didnt put any alcohol in it at all just so I could enjoy it too. It occurred to me that when I was drinking I would never have considered making a punch without alcohol, and if someone wasnt drinking then theres no way I would have made one without, no they would have had to find something else to drink!

So I was really touched that they did that for me! It was a lovely evening and I dont recall once missing or wanting a drink.

On Saturday I went to see my Dads wife, it is almost a year since he died and it is still really hard to go back to the house, its only the second time I have been back there since the funeral. His wife is having a memorial bench done for him to be sited on the heathland common where they loved to walk. She took me to the spot where it will eventually be. I was very emotional and really knotted inside. I know I still havent come to terms with the fact that he is truly gone. I acknowledged that in the past I would have medicated that knotted feeling with a big glass of chilled wine and it would take it away but then that would be followed by many many more.

As I drove away, I recognised the desire for some wine right then, I could feel how it would relax me and take away the sadness and the knots briefly, however I also recognised something else. Something has recently changed, now there is a difference, as I also know there is no way I would act on that desire, more than that, when it really came to it I know I would not and even could not take that drink.

The whole weekend was very stressful when I look back, potential for lapse at many opportunity and I was so glad to arrive home and retreat to the safe haven of my home.

Even as I watched my husband down a bottle of red wine last night, I still felt really safe in my home, as I recognise for the first time I am in control, especially at home and there is NO way I would even go to pour myself a drink.

Today I am home alone and still I know 100% I wont pick up.

There has been a change, I dont know what has been the catalyst all I know is that remaining ever vigilant and keeping one step ahead of the beast works for me. I have not avoided any social situation where there has been alcohol, even though in the early days that really was hard. A dangerous tactic I acknowledge but the more time I spend around it, the less glamorous it appears and the less I want it.

One other thing about this journey that I have recognised is that how I feel today, right now and the validity of this post could be the total opposite tohow I feel tomorrow.

I accept this is a roller coaster and I am here to embrace the ride cos sobriety really is a much nicer life all round.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:45 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hello! How can we be 4 days into a new thread and still on page 1?!?

ER - you have a beautiful way with words. I always enjoy your posts. Sounds like your trip ran you thru a range of feelings and awareness. Your strength at embracing life is inspiring. Thank you for sharing with us.

Dickensen, R4R & other health buffs -
Thank you for reminding us how good healthy and active feels. What better motivation is there?

Sobervic - CONGRATS on 6a wks! Ah yes, the money factor cannot be ignored. What you gonna do with all that savings?

VC - cool laptop! You deserve it!! Now you can design a flag for your nation with Elvis.

Cypress - yay for 2 wks! my hubby drinks a lot daily. I notice more now how it effects him. Some days its become a real turnoff. I'll have to check out the F&F board.

I've gotten myself into a quandary of late. I will continue onto another post before I lose this.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:55 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Good morning, Julians! Waking up to Day 15 (so close to getting back to my original 17-day run from the last time!!!) and pouring myself a second strong cup of Julian java. Kinda rainy and gloomy this morning, but the temps are nice enough to sit out on the front porch and watch the world go by.

Great to read how so many Julians posting are embracing their sobriety so positively. I'm finding it's a rough road initially that thankfully gets a little smoother with time.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:02 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Eyes Open, No Fear

Good morning everyone. I am still here too. I have noticed the quiet as well.
I am on day 16, going strong.

Sounds like everyone who is still here is doing well. ER it sounds like such a weekend you had. You got through it so wonderfully, It was inspiring to hear how you worked through everything.

I lost my mother five years ago and there are still days that are so hard.

Nice new laptop, vc! Sexy.

Sobervic - I was also so worried about how I would spend my time. I was so scared I would be bored out of my mind and feel boring too. I forgot to include the kid factor however. I have two little girls and man they keep me super busy and I actually get time to enjoy life with them now. School starts in a few weeks though. My youngest will be starting preschool and that will leave me with free time that does make me nervous. Not that anything I said there is helpful or encouraging I guess just that the feelings of boredom were not as bad as I had imagined they would be before I quit. And I would, at this point, rather be bored than hungover.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:06 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
And I would, at this point, rather be bored than hungover.
Amen to that, Cerb, and congratulations on your Day 16!
Old 08-14-2011, 08:14 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Good to hear you're still going strong ER.

I lost my Dad in March to secondary lung cancer in the brain. Had a nightmare that it happened all over again to him and I woke up upset thinking 'if this happens to anyone else I know then I'll drink'.

Then I stopped and thought about it more and said 'Naw I'll go to the doctor and actually talk about how I'm feeling.'

These nightmares have only started since I stopped drinking really. But it shows that I'm gradually coming to terms with it. I've no reason really to feel sad as I know that I'll die eventually and nothing lasts forever. I've a wacky belief that I'm one of God's apertures through which he looks at the world and that God is in everyone including my dad.

So while people are still here, so is he.

Empathy is the road to eternity.

Ran 12 miles today nonstop in just over 2 hours. I've now lost 5lbs in the 6 weeks since I decided I'd never drink again.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:18 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Englishrose70

Ceneri, you are so good at checking in with us all and acknowledging our news and threads that you forgot to tell us how you are doing? xx
Old 08-14-2011, 08:39 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Englishrose70

way to go Elvis on the running and weight loss. I have also lost 5lbs and done sod all to achieve that other than cut the booze! Just goes to show.

Well we have something in common there with our Dads. My Dad also died of brain cancer, it was already at stage 4 terminal when he had his biopsy. Diagnosed and gone within 2 months, he was only 71. How old was your Dad out of interest?

Maybe our Dads are up there having a chat about us guys eh? I know they would be encouraging us both.

Cerbs, boredom was one of the reasons I drank, that and loneliness, a cuddle in a bottle I used to think. How deluded. Good point well made. Couldnt help but notice that my husband drank, 2 pints of beer, 3 glasses of white wine and a bottle of red wine yesterday, he was really restless in bed last night and that would have been the alcohol for sure.

Vic, I am putting away £4 per day $6.5, to date I have £136. Well £4 is just a drop in the ocean compared to the actual amount I spent on booze but something is better than nothing.

If I reach that momentus first year that will be an impressive £1460 or $2370. WOW, wouldnt it be such a great goal to achieve? Thats a pretty good holiday with that kind of money! (or maybe a guitar!)

Cypress you are doing so well with all you have been through, I hope life is settling a bit for you now and yay almost back at the magic 17, this time it will be 18++++ for you, in that I have no doubt.

Super sober Sunday everyone, almost another weekend cracked but where are all the rest of the Julians, being super sober busy I pray. xx
Old 08-14-2011, 09:03 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I didn't forget, ER. I've been waiting for some alone time & trying to find the words. I did drink on my mini -vaca. A beer after golf, wine with dinner, a sangria relaxing on the harbor. I didn't get drunk, hence, my quandary. I cannot seem to quiet the voice that insists I can be a moderate drinker. It claims I can give up getting trashed without total sobriety. I want to believe that, but reading over & over how others have tried and landed right back where they were scares me.
I never did drink to excess when traveling, so that was no challenge. I value that time too much to spend it drunk or hungover & always have. I realize that doesn't translate to where my problem lies. That awareness has been good, otherwise, I would have picked right back up when I got home. I didn't. I knew, its not the same.
So, there you have it. I don't know how i'll handle next time. I don't know if being 30 days free is worth striving for. I know I can't stay here if I don't have that goal.
I'm sorry, I don't want to bring anyone down, but that's what's going on with me now. I didn't drink yesterday, I wont drink today, that I know. I fear I've lost any resolve beyond that. I don't want to get sick from drink again to find it.
This probably sounds like the rant of a loon. I wont just go away for now though.
Sorry, friends.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:25 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Thank you for posting your story, Ceneri. Stay here with us!!!! It's terrific that you've found awareness of your drinking and that you didn't overindulge. That in itself is a huge step forward. Looking at it in a 30-day chunk may be too overwhelming...I know it is for me. You've got the right attitude in that you didn't drink yesterday and you want to stay sober today.

Hang in there! You certainly didn't let me down, that's for sure! So many times I've promised myself to not drink, only to test it thinking I could do portion control. The portion thing worked maybe a few times, but I'd eventually let my guard down and overdo it again. The cycle is exhausting. I finally decided to give drinking up completely so I wouldn't have to keep punishing myself with disappointment.

Keep reading and posting with us. You're a valuable and valued member of our Julian class! I'm rooting for you! :ghug3
Old 08-14-2011, 09:26 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Englishrose70 View Post
Couldnt help but notice that my husband drank, 2 pints of beer, 3 glasses of white wine and a bottle of red wine yesterday, he was really restless in bed last night and that would have been the alcohol for sure.
When we finally sober up ourselves, isn't it amazing how we notice other's drinking habits and are often surprised? It took my abstinence to step back and take a look at all my husband was drinking. If I drank the amount that he does - even just once - I'd be dead from alcohol poisoning. It makes me wonder if those close to us who drink heavily really know how much harm they can do to themselves. I can gather up only enough energy to concentrate on one person's sobriety right now, though ...mine.

Thank you, ER, for keeping me in your thoughts.

Elvis and ER, I've always believed that those we love who have passed on are still around us in spirit, guiding us on to good things in our lives. I also like to think that they've joined up again happily with all other loved ones past, and that includes pets!
Old 08-14-2011, 10:06 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Englishrose70

Thank you Cypress, kind words. I totally believe the spirit/energy/aura of our loved ones including our beloved pets are still with us.

Are you a dog lover? Well I am nuts about my pet dogs. Yes I know they are my children replacements and I am cool with that! lol

Ceneri, thank you for posting and no need for the sad face, I agree with Cypress, you stick with us. Look this forum is here to provide support in whatever capacity each of us needs it, it is not to pass judgement or indeed to say this is how you should go about it.

If we were experts at how this gig works then we wouldnt need SR and I know as sure as eggs is eggs I wouldnt be sat here sober now without it!!. One box doesnt fit all Ceneri, we are as individual as every snowflake and as such our journey is deeply personal and how we choose fit to make that journey is our choice and also a very personal one. I can understand how confused you must feel after drinking on vacation and not only that drinking in moderation. It must have thrown up so many questions and what ifs. Only you know what path you will take, it is not my place to influence that, I would love to be that moderate drinker but I am actually too frightened to even try.

Anyway I digress, back to you Ceneri, what I want to say is that, whatever you feel is right, we are here and we will never stand in judgement. Keep sharing with us, sometimes the best decision is to make no decision at all, for me I have often found that, given space and time the right road becomes clear without us forcing it.

Last edited by Dee74; 08-14-2011 at 03:49 PM.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:45 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Englishrose70

Originally Posted by ElvisInASkirt View Post
These nightmares have only started since I stopped drinking really.
Elvis, tell me about the bizarre dreams/nightmares! Many of mine have been directed by Stephen King I am sure of it and all since I quit.

At the moment I have this recurring dream that I am driving at speed on the motorway but I cant see out of the windscreen, I am dodging lorries and cars and almost crash but just seem to miss them! So scary.

Then I keep dreaming I am barefoot or only have one shoe!!

Or I cant find my car in the car park and I hunt for hours for it

and........................ well I will stop there but I like to think that its all about my brain rewiring and processing my thoughts and emotions whilst in slumber so I kind of think its a good thing.

Now if only Jane Austen could come and direct them instead and Colin Firth appeared as Mr Darcy.......................aaaah, now that would be nice, how long do I have to be sober to get those dreams then?:rotfxko
Old 08-14-2011, 01:00 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Englishrose70 View Post
way to go Elvis on the running and weight loss. I have also lost 5lbs and done sod all to achieve that other than cut the booze! Just goes to show.

Well we have something in common there with our Dads. My Dad also died of brain cancer, it was already at stage 4 terminal when he had his biopsy. Diagnosed and gone within 2 months, he was only 71. How old was your Dad out of interest?

Maybe our Dads are up there having a chat about us guys eh? I know they would be encouraging us both.

Cerbs, boredom was one of the reasons I drank, that and loneliness, a cuddle in a bottle I used to think. How deluded. Good point well made. Couldnt help but notice that my husband drank, 2 pints of beer, 3 glasses of white wine and a bottle of red wine yesterday, he was really restless in bed last night and that would have been the alcohol for sure.

Vic, I am putting away £4 per day $6.5, to date I have £136. Well £4 is just a drop in the ocean compared to the actual amount I spent on booze but something is better than nothing.

If I reach that momentus first year that will be an impressive £1460 or $2370. WOW, wouldnt it be such a great goal to achieve? Thats a pretty good holiday with that kind of money! (or maybe a guitar!)

Cypress you are doing so well with all you have been through, I hope life is settling a bit for you now and yay almost back at the magic 17, this time it will be 18++++ for you, in that I have no doubt.

Super sober Sunday everyone, almost another weekend cracked but where are all the rest of the Julians, being super sober busy I pray. xx
2 months wow. My dad lasted 11 months after finding out it was stage 4. He was 63. He'd quit smoking for 10 years but still got the lung cancer. Still it was worth beating the addiction for. He had a lot of strength.

That's why I want to continue to beat this addiction, so that I can continue to fundraise by running Marathons and Halfs. Raised £400 for Macmillan in May and I hope to get a decent amount for the local hospice in October.

I've saved loads of money too! Some nights I used to spend about £100 on drinks in town. Kinda makes me sick thinking about it. Never again.

I spent £800 on alcohol in one week in Magaluf in May which was basically my rock bottom. Never again.

Feeling good tonight. My run was amazing. Normally I fade in the last 2 miles but not this time. No hangover to contend with, just pure focus. 35.6 miles for the week!

Doing the Dublin Half Marathon in 4 weeks time and I'm confident I'll be in good shape for it.

Dreams are so weird ER. I dream a lot about space and planets and aliens. Mainly because my head is always in the clouds.
Old 08-14-2011, 03:37 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

Ceneri, I echo everyone else in saying please stick around. As far as your vacation, it is what it is......I used to exhaust myself with over analyzing everything....this time around I refuse to. Trying to live my best this very moment and not worry about yesterday or what will happen tomorrow....I find some peace this way I guess.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:07 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Administrator

I didn't get drunk, hence, my quandary. I cannot seem to quiet the voice that insists I can be a moderate drinker. It claims I can give up getting trashed without total sobriety.
Yeah I know that voice. Try turning it around Ceneri.

You're concerned enough about your drinking - enough to join up here, and post 93 different times.

...and you still drank.

It's really not about getting drunk or not - it's about doing something you know, on some level, you really shouldn't do.

I'm not saying that to beat you up - it's just a fact - and believe me I did it too.

It's the same voice I used to hear - the same voice that led me back to drinking after a 2 month layoff....I didn't stop again for 2 years.

don't be the numbskull I was.

D
Old 08-14-2011, 08:58 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Yes, the money savings is a definite advantage to sobriety. I will probably put some of it towards hobbies I once enjoyed that I'm slowly regaining an interest in.

My confidence in sobriety has been much higher recently. I'm no longer envying those who are going out and getting drunk. The whole bar/club scene and spending extravagant sums of money on alcohol and material possessions to impress others is becoming less attractive. Those who consistently post on Facebook about getting drunk and subsequently being hungover are coming across as pathetic more than anything else. I still envy those who are capable of going out for a few drinks, but I'm also aware that I am not capable of doing so. Of course, I still have the convincing voice that tells me it's possible this time around as long as I do this or that. But, I know the first drink will change everything...even if not immediately.

I'm still concerned about my social life. I really don't want to regress back to where I was 5 years ago without alcohol. As an introvert, I don't require much social interaction and it takes effort on my part to get out and socialize. I could just accept this lifestyle, but I know a lack of socialization has long-term negative effects on communication skills and social confidence.

Any ideas for quick excuses not to drink around strangers that would be an easier cop-out than saying that I don't drink at all?
Old 08-14-2011, 09:38 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's no reason why your social life should regress Vic. You're not the same person you were 5 years ago.

I'd give it a try - put yourself out there - preferably in non drinking situations - ease yourself in - I think you'll find like I did that drinking and not drinking is not a big deal to non alcoholics.

Don't let the fear get to you before you start..all that any of us can be is ourselves

I never use excuses anymore - I simply say no thanks I don't drink - but health reasons is one a lot of people use....

D
Old 08-14-2011, 10:04 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Thanks. I actually had the same thought. I think this is just another irrational fear. While I shouldn't glorify the drinking, it definitely put me in many social situations, gave me plenty of sexual experience, and allowed me to experience a socially-active lifestyle that I never had previously. The negative effects eventually outweighed the positives, but the experiences made me much more socially adept.