Notices

Class of June 2011 Part 6

Old 08-09-2011, 03:45 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  

We're lucky here in the June thread to have such an awesome photographer among us. Cheers (sober, of course) for Tippingpoint
Old 08-09-2011, 03:49 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  

I'm going to give you two more and then I will take a long break!

The first duck pic and the second one with all of the seagulls were both taken on the same day. It was spring and I was sort of exploring down on the shore of Lake Ontario just East of downtown Toronto. I came across this little bay where there were literally hundreds of birds - ducks, gulls, swans - all different types of birds. I set up on the shore with the sun to my back and got hundreds of shots of these birds as they came and went. It was so much fun.

Here's one of a duck coming in to land on the ice:

And just a picture to show you how crazy it was in this little bay with all the birds and how easy it was to get pictures of them....

Old 08-09-2011, 04:38 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Hi friends....saw some posts about hot pants at McDonalds; some great pics of water fowl.

Back from vacation. Feels good to be home but long drive-400 miles. Will put up an elaborate post tomorrow, but for now...going to bed.

Sober all the way.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:46 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Thank you for the nice comments! I really do appreciate them.

However, in 18 months of studying photography, I've gained a very healthy perspective of my skills and talents. I have a "good eye" - both for what is interesting and for composition. I think that this can be learned but it is so much easier for it to be natural!

As for skill I look at it like an exponential curve in mathematics. Improvement happens quickly and easily at first but then slows down, taking more and more effort and time to move your skill set to the next level.

These shots are okay - 6 out of 10 maybe. Not good enough for a book. One day though.

I am happy to share them though and glad that they can be a happy distraction on the thread when things get heavy.

Cheers!
Old 08-09-2011, 04:56 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Tippingpoint - You inspire me to pursue photography further. A nice camera is one thing, but as you said, and I agree, you have to have the eye and the patience for the perfect shot.

Thank you for all the pictures. They are relaxing!
Old 08-09-2011, 04:58 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tippingpoin
However, in 18 months of studying photography, I've gained a very healthy perspective of my skills and talents. I have a "good eye" - both for what is interesting and for composition. I think that this can be learned but it is so much easier for it to be natural!
I have the "good eye" as well. It's why I want to spend some effort learning the tech stuff. My ex, who was a photographer, said the same thing you said... you can learn all the skill but the eye is natural or it's not. I'm not so sure you can't develop that...
Old 08-09-2011, 05:12 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
I have the "good eye" as well. It's why I want to spend some effort learning the tech stuff. My ex, who was a photographer, said the same thing you said... you can learn all the skill but the eye is natural or it's not. I'm not so sure you can't develop that...
You should do it!!! You too Beulah!
Old 08-09-2011, 07:23 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Hi Friends. I've been absent for a while... following my own rule of "don't post angry."

Well that, and I was too busy being a teary-eyed hermit... hiding under the covers. All I really have it in me to say is that more information regarding the full scope of his infidelity came to me over the weekend and again today. I am so broken hearted because I forgave the man for so many things time and time again. The minute I lost myself in depression he ran for the hills and into another womans bed. Claiming that I did not love him enough. Bull.

I do not know if I will ever trust a man again.

Things that made me smile for the first time in a while:

you all.

The winning city argument

Stream - "I hear you... and them too"

Pumpkin's spider in the bathtub- BTW, I just re-entered the world of the living this evening and heard about the riots in london. I hope all is well with you in that area and the burglaries. Of course you are near london, not in it, right?

Buelah's darn it i did it wrong post

TP-The beautiful photos- do you come here often?

Jennie- so kind to pm links to everybody

Chimp- I've lived for last 5 years being suspicious of the person I thought loved me (for very good reasons, mind you) and I can feel your pain. But I have those emails coming to me too and I have been nothing but faithful. She has to be Innocent until proven guilty. She will not like it that you are unsure of her fidelity. You can say it much more eloquently than me I'm sure... but just talk with her about your fears. I dont think it is wholly unrealistic to withhold from flirting....

I am sorry to read that there was some drama on the thread. much love to all that may have been hurt in the process.

--- bb
Old 08-09-2011, 07:55 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  

sending hugs Blackbird
Old 08-09-2011, 08:00 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  

thanks tuesday ... really. xoxoxoxxo
Old 08-09-2011, 08:37 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Wow--, Never expected to see drama popping up among this group. I hope all is resolved ad I am glad I missed it. Thanks for the pics TP, **Bad pun alert** you certainly seem to have the "aye" here! Oh goodness.

Another day in the books sober... hitting the week(s) mark again-- yee-haw! It's been a while. One more day of work and then I am of to Montana for a couple of days for a family reunion. The laptop will be traveling with me.

I am feeling pretty "meh.." today, so I am going to hit the sack early and wake up on the right side tomorrow. it is odd that my mood is so off, I should be happy that I've gotten to a week, but I guess I still have some guilt cropping up about the dumb-a$$ I was a week ago. Hopefully another week or two and it'll subside.

Buelah--> Thanks for the compliment.

Hope all is well in your world--,

PN
Old 08-09-2011, 08:41 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Hang in there BlackBird--, I know that you are going through some really tough stuff right now, but I urge you please to try and get out and get some fresh air as soon as possible. Mama Nature always seems to pick me up.

Thanks for keeping the air clear Dee.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:41 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

sigh. I just tried to lay in bed for an hour. sleep isn't coming easily. anxiety and angry shooting out every finger and toe.

good advice PN. Will do. Not right now, dads neighborhood gets a lil scary after dark.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:03 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Concerns for BB

Well, you are in my thoughts & prayers. I am going to check out the chat room for a few if you are bored.

PN
Old 08-09-2011, 09:24 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  
Administrator

(((BBF)))

I'm sorry for your situation. But things can and do get better.
Don't judge your future by your past

D
Old 08-09-2011, 10:01 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Happy to see you're back on the board posting, blackbird Hope you do fall asleep ok tonight...

It's midnight here and I'm WIDE awake thinking about my future. The cacao powder in my decaf coffee didn't help, LOL. What a weirdo... I put caffeine into my decaf coffee at 10:30pm. Will I ever get a sense of real structure in my day-to-day life?? I can barely stand abiding by any sort of schedule. It drives me nuts
Old 08-10-2011, 01:55 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  
instant

Dee. Thank you for the work you do on all the threads. It is really appreciated.

BBF I hope you will be able to face his infidelity from a foundation of sobriety.

I am having dreams regularly now. When I was drinking I rarely had a dream. I think it is a good sign. I am more emotionally stable, the bad feelings seem less intense and overall I seem to be coping better. In a way though I miss the intensity of purpose I had in the two months and I am aware that I have to start building on my life, and my interests and friendships.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:34 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Happy sober wednesday Classical!
Old 08-10-2011, 06:35 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone,

No pictures this morning. LOL

I had a talk with my Mum yesterday on the phone - she lives far away, with my Dad who is an alcoholic. My mum is this wonderful, caring, energetic and outgoing person. She's always on the move. My dad is retired and sits around the house all his days. He starts drinking at about 4:00 pm and is in bed by 9:00 pm - that's his daily routine. He's a bit of a cranky ******* when he gets a few drinks into him.

My mother is going to be retiring from her job at the end of this year and I'm worried about what's going to happen then. Right now, she's always out and about and doing things and doesn't have to be around dad too much.

Anyway, for the first time in maybe ever we talked about my dad. She told me that he quit drinking last year for 2 months...just out of the blue...wouldn't talk about it...didn't have any support...just didn't drink for two months...and then he went back to it. The year before that he was quite sick and had a 3 month stint of not drinking. I have to think that this man would like to quit but needs some support. The problem with him though is that he won't accept support from anyone...tough, old, crotchety so and so.

My mom said that he just gets angry if she tries to talk to him about it. Maybe I should try and talk to him...not sure though.

Any ideas here?
Old 08-10-2011, 07:02 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Blackbird - Good to see you posting. It cannot be easy for you now, but you are to vibrant of a person to let this beat you. Take care of your health and take care of those children. Try not to dwell on him. Easy for me to say, I know. I wish I could do more for you.

Bratnik - Hey, thanks for that last cyber hug. It really came in handy last night at about 9 PM. (I usually keep a cyber hug in my back pocket in case of emergencies). The sailing gang stopped over last night to take a look at the progress of my boat. They were in rare form to say the least. You saved me there.
Hope you had a nice visit with your Mom. Cyber hugs to both of you.