Notices

Class Of July 2011 pt 2

Old 07-24-2011, 11:00 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Englishrose70

Congratulations and well done to everyone with all their landmarks whether it be Day 2 or 20 days, us Julians are doing it and each day IS a victory.

Well I am nervously sipping on some apple juice. Dressed up and ready to drive up to my husband's golf club for Captain's Prize Presentation and Buffet. I dropped my husband off at the club this afternoon so I would have to drive and not be tempted to have one calm the nerves, I will also be driving home so the option to even think about a drink is taken away. However, that little voice would like a "nerve calmer" as this is a big social stress for me as I hardly know anyone and I dont really enjoy these evenings at the best of time. In the past the wine got me through. Will be hard as everyone will be drinking, pretty much, including my husband.

Still its another hurdle to be jumped over on the onward path. I am already anticipating how delighted I will feel in the morning to know I got through it and thats keeping me going.

I am impatient for the day it no longer crosses my mind anymore, I seem to spend alot of my mind energy thinking about this whole thing. If anyone could read my mind they would be bored rigid with my constant checking into my feelings about how I feel about drinking!!!

7pm here, my 2nd weekend of sobriety is almost upon me and I cant think of having achieved that in many a year.

Keep strong everyone!
Old 07-24-2011, 11:20 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

Ellen, you bet I know what that feels like. Having to go to anything outside the home sent me into a panic! I had to wait until I felt more secure in sobriety to do that........luckily, my BF gets that and he patiently gave up his whole July 4th weekend so I could get better....bless his heart. You feel what you feel, period. Let him go to lunch with them this time around....it's only lunch and not worth you thinking you need one or taking a drink because of it. You come first!

My first launches out I was doing alot of really deep breathing to relax myself and I kept repeating in my head, "you're ok, see? your're ok.....I know that probably sounds stupid but it worked to calm my nerves.

Good luck to you and ER too at the golf thing! "You're ok!!"
Old 07-24-2011, 11:35 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Made it through the weekend with no problem and I'm now on Day 22. Going out and binge drinking seems less and less attractive the more time I spend away from it. I feel much better mentally and physically.

But, I know there will be plenty of temptation in the future. I'm committed right now to abstinence since I've been experiencing many improvements in my life just over the past 3 weeks. But, as time progresses and I get back to a normal state, it may be tempting to once again attempt to drink.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:22 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Just found this forum, I love it. It is day 6 for me. Can anyone give help on staying clean with a husband that is still drinking? I feel great ran 9 miles today and made some yogurt. Is it true that its just my mind that is craving and not my body?
Old 07-24-2011, 03:19 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome MarieB

I think a lot of members here deal with spouses or partners who still drink - it's harder, but it's not a dealbreaker...you'll find a lot of support here

as far as physical withdrawal goes, everything I've ever read suggests 72 hours all up, but I know I've felt like crud for a week or more...I think we have to factor in the healing process too...of both body and mind

D
Old 07-24-2011, 05:22 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I'm new here too..on day 10. I'm feeling better but i find i still think about it alot too. I am constantly reassuring myself that this is what i want and what i need. Boredom and anxiety are my worst enemies. I still feel like i'm walking thru oatmeal and have no desire to do anything (social or at home) But i'm giving myself the time i need. The housecleaning will be there when i have the motivation, lol I am proud of myself and that feels good for a change. Yea US! =)
Old 07-24-2011, 05:49 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Pups, Welcome and I love your name...I suspect you may want to check out the animal grats thread if you haven't found it already.

I am in strange headspace today as am on holiday (from work) at home. Weather is horrid. There is nothing I have to do but lots I want to do. I think I'll brave the cold and pull some weeds.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:43 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ViciousCycle View Post
Way to go Sarah! What movie did you see? I would like to see the last Harry Potter, but I am sure it is still mobbed.
I saw Larry Crowne. Very cute chick flick!

It's so great to see how active this group is.

Welcome to the newcomers and congrats to all who spent another weekend sober!

MarieB, 9 miles? Impressive! For me, it was definitely more of a mental addiction than a physical one.

Elvis, LOL at the ostrich picture! At least your out there running instead of drinking. You're right; drinking=zero advantages.

Take care and have a wonderful booze-free week!
Old 07-24-2011, 08:31 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Nineteen days for me. Seventeen in a rehab facility. Being away from the stresses of everyday triggers, and learning a lot about addiction was really beneficial.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:17 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome bonefish

D
Old 07-25-2011, 06:08 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by meetmesober View Post
Day two is here. I'm definitely anxious but talking my way through it. My life has changed for the better.
I'm on day 6. It gets much easier
Old 07-25-2011, 06:18 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hi. Trying this again. Sometimes I can casually drink then I go through periods where I drink way too much. Going through one of those periods again. I feel like crap and just want to get my head on straight and this seems likes a good site
Old 07-25-2011, 06:32 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ellen36 View Post
My husband wants me to go to lunch with his family. Yikes. I don't think I'm ready for a group of people, socializing, etc. That freaks me out and makes me want to drink. I told him that and he is frustrated with me. Tells me I'm antisocial. I know he has no clue how this feels. Wish I could help him understand. I need time to face these things. Anyone else have this problem?
At this point, I can't imagine not drinking around family. Maybe not everyone's family drives them crazy but mine does and so does my husband's. He gets a bit annoyed if I don't care to tag along so I can relate.

While drinking I had wondered the best way to completely cut family out of my life and had thought maybe I'd feel different if I stopped drinking. Those family gatherings whether it be a holiday, BBQ or one calling for a favor...

Good for you for taking care of yourself. I'm pretty sure it'll be no big deal at some point.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:56 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

The "Julian Cafe" is open right now under chat....for all the new peeps, it is what we call our class..............anyone can come on in and chat for awhile!! I will be back to catch up on the new posts.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:59 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Its not as easy as I thought..

When I decided not to drink for 30 days a couple of months ago, it was no problem. I didn't look at the calendar every day and didn't even drink when the 30 days were up because I didn't feel like it.
But now that I've told myself I want to do it for at least 2 yrs or for good, it's so much harder. It's only been a little over a week and it's so much harder now that it's not temporary. Theres been many times where I go about a week and don't even realize it, but now that I know I don't have the option..SUCKS. I think about it so many times each day. I'm not thinking of having a drink right then and there, but I'm thinking about "well maybe I should just drink once a month" or "maybe I can plan days out of the year to drink". I ask myself why am I doing this anyway? Alcohol isn't causing problems in my life..yeah I drink too much...so I should just start limiting myself. Not depriving myself. I can do it on special occasions. I've even started day dreaming about them.
Then hearinig these scenerios and excuses keep coming up in my head... i feel like yeah- maybe I am an alcoholic after all.
I talked to my husband about how it's hard knowing I CANT have a drink sometime down the line. His response was that I CAN, but I'm choosing NOT to. He said I should just take it day by day. It has helped but I still keep daydreaming. (When I told him I wanted to be alcohol free for 2 years he thought it was a great idea and decided to do it with me. He said that he might drink at certain times though, like when he's going on a camping trip next month.)
Old 07-25-2011, 07:09 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Hi, everyone. I joined back in 2009 but wasn't successful in my sobriety quest. Right now I'm on Day 8. I haven't had anything longer than a couple days here and there since January 2010. I'll give more of an intro later (busy at work which is a good thing) but I'm very happy to be a Julian
Old 07-25-2011, 07:38 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

lets do this

Hi everyone-

Day one, and not even noon yet, about to go to a meeting and just dont drink today!
Old 07-25-2011, 08:08 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Thanks VC and all for your encouragement. And EnglishRose---wow, you are my hero. I thought going to lunch was a difficult prospect. I know I couldn't go to a big function like that with people drinking and have to socialize with strangers. It makes me anxious just thinking about it. Hope it went smoothly---and soberly---for you. I know we have to face these things in life. Hopefully as we get more sober time under our belt it will get easier??? (I hope!)

Day 4 here for me. It seems like such a small number, but at least it isn't Day 1 again. Made it through the weekend. I know some on here have more trouble during weekends, but my challenge is actually during the week. I have work, the kids, the house, the cooking....when I factor my workday in then all I want to do is drink when I get off work. I am trying to start the day with positive thoughts. Checking this site helps. I will keep checking through the day. Wish I could hog-tie myself after work.....but that won't be happening.

Sober Monday everyone? Yes, we can do this!
Old 07-25-2011, 08:18 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Symmetry View Post
At this point, I can't imagine not drinking around family. Maybe not everyone's family drives them crazy but mine does and so does my husband's. He gets a bit annoyed if I don't care to tag along so I can relate.

While drinking I had wondered the best way to completely cut family out of my life and had thought maybe I'd feel different if I stopped drinking. Those family gatherings whether it be a holiday, BBQ or one calling for a favor...

Good for you for taking care of yourself. I'm pretty sure it'll be no big deal at some point.
I just saw your post, Symmetry. Thanks! It helps to see that others are going through this, too. I feel terribly selfish not making the effort to be with husband's family, but I know if I push myself too much too soon....then I set myself up for a relapse. I tried to talk to him more about my feelings. I think he understands a little better. He just doesn't get the whole craving thing. He's never had a problem with alcohol so he can't grasp the struggle. Glad to have found a site where people understand and can relate.

Yes, I am hoping it will become "no big deal at some point", too!
Old 07-25-2011, 08:18 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Day one here again but today for some reason I really think I can do it!! I did a lot of thinking over the weekend and am feeling strong today!! It's early but haven't had the desire to go and buy any right now. I know that urge usually hits later in the day but like I said for some reason I'm feeling strong and I honestly believe I will make it to Day 2 finally.