Notices

Class of June 2011 Part 4

Old 07-13-2011, 09:07 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Holy cr**, that's a lot of posts!
I can't possibly respond to everything, but Squishy, i'm sorry i wasn't around to offer my support last night...i was exhausted from working 11 hours and then exercising and THEN a meeting...it was 10 am before i actually woke up this morning (i have the day off). But you seem to be doing great, now, and i'm so glad you made it through the fire. You are wonderful.

It's great to see most everyone doing well, and those who aren't getting supported!

What cute doggies i'm seeing pictures of! Puppies are the best. Our pitbull Ronin is dumb as a sack of rocks and no puppy, but he's cute as can be and sweet as sweet can be and i love him.

Well, my plans to be all productive today have fallen by the wayside so far - i think if i manage to make it to the gym despite this nasty headache, and then a meeting, i'll be happy.

Everyone here is an inspiration to me.
I need to do something about my exploding brain - i'm thinking caffeine. I just really want to hunker down and hide in my room and relax today.
It's day 10!
Happy to be sober, getting healthy, and who was it that mentioned NO DRAMA?
Boy do i not miss the drama.
I have no doubt that if i were drinking, I'd have ripped Chewie a new one for being...well, the way an active alcoholic is. My quasi-sponsor was right - if we just make sobriety the priority and employ a GOOD sort of selfishness to our own recovery, then things start to slowly become more clear. The people in our lives, the situations that would usually "drive" us to the bottle...it's becoming easier not to take things personally...just as i'm having an easier time recognizing the kind of behaviour that is ok with me, and what is NOT ok. There doesn't need to be drama, i just need to set down boundaries. Ok, the word "just" perhaps minimalizes how difficult that can be with people we are deeply enmeshed with; but i do think it is possible.
I don't want to fight with people, or have dramatic power struggles. I don't want to bend Chewie into my idea of how i want him to be; sober, mature, unfearful. He can't be, because he is an alcoholic. It doesn't mean he doesn't care about me, but it probably means i should not be in a relationship with him now.
No fight is needed for that realization and the things i need to say and do from this point forward.

Cravings: i had a rough patch last night. I could practically taste the drink on my lips...but then, this image of myself drunk, the inevitable drama, the bad taste in my mouth and the feelings of self-loathing and physical pain the next morning...ugh!
No. Thank you.

Hope everyone has a lovely day today.
V
Old 07-13-2011, 09:10 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Hey Violet! So good to see you in good spirits and doing well. Thank you for your well wishes. Last night was rough for a lot of people. Very weird. I think everyone was moving on past the 4th holiday and it was starting to hit them again or something. Who knows! But I'm glad we all made it!

Have a wonderful day and remember to eat something yummy.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:11 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Hey Butterfly! That is correct - get through it one minute at a time if you need to and ride the wave. So glad to see you here.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:20 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Wow another super busy morning here! I started to post a couple of hours ago but things keep coming up and now a full page later lol! I love all the good vibes here!

Miss Ducky fabulous news today! I'm very happy for you and your boy!

I'm picking up my younger boys today and we're heading up to the lake to visit my mom for a few days. Lots to do to get ready. Can't wait to read about everybody's day later on. Sounds like all are in good spirits, some pulling through a difficult night last night. Good job peoples! Hugs to you all! Keep fighting the good fight!

Oh day 40 here! Woo hoo!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Digging the exclamation points today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Too much caffeine haha!
Old 07-13-2011, 09:23 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Ack, forgot -
MissDucky, i'm so glad things are getting better and thank you for the kind words. Ginormous cupcakes sound delicious...surgery again, oh boy. But you are handling it so well. You rule.

Also congrats on the landmarks - i will be so proud when i reach 30 days...let alone 60 or 90!

Ok, must. find. coffee..
Old 07-13-2011, 09:31 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

GAHH! I'm mentally incapacitated.

BUTTERFLY - you are doing great - just wanted to pop in one more time to say that.
It really is one minute at a time, sometimes. Keep it up, look at all these marvelous people who have made it past this first horrible confusing few weeks.

Also, i want Classical to adopt me, too.

Now i'm really going.
Later!
Old 07-13-2011, 09:33 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Classical - I would have to say my babies go where I go, so I understand.... :-)
Old 07-13-2011, 10:54 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about your mom Classical, she must have been a wonderful lady to have influenced such a large aspect of your life.

Shoot. squishy. we could just leave the kids unattended by the pool while we chill out at classical's place with sobertinis and soothing music. kids like water right? there is no way anything would go wrong with that senario. (*disclaimer* the preceeding sentance is riddled with sarcasm)

bee- sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 40 days! you rock! ! ! !

violet - yes our group had mass cravings for alcohol. but it seems everyone made it. Imagining the drunk version of myself is definately reason to stop the longing.

funny you mention not feeling your age. I'll be 28 in a couple of weeks and I still feel like a 16 year old... well. ahem. at least mentally.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:32 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bratnik View Post
Good Morning everyone!

I don't know about you guys, but it's actually becoming more difficult for me to remember being drunk, or feeling drunk. I'm not sure if that is a coping mechanism or the alcoholic mind playing tricks (probably the latter) but I focus on the drama-free life of sobriety. I loves me some no drama. Last week when we were out for dinner (we usually eat at the bar which isn't a problem for me) I watched a bartender pour vodka into a glass and I almost gagged. Wow! That was powerful.
Something similar happens to me. Usually I have no more cravings (with the exception of yesterday, becaus of quitting tobacco, I think). When I am on the beach (associated usually with beer), sometimes appears an automatic thinking: "Oh, time to have one", but then I remember that I'm not drinking anymore, and that's all. There is no inner battle anymore. Sobriety gets better each day. It is much easier to remain sober than to get sober.

PS: I think that the rate of success in this group is awesome. It is so nice to see how people progress day by day, achieving, 10, 15, 20, 30 days or more. In my experience, once you have surpassed the 20-25 days mark, everything is so much easier... Stay strong...
Old 07-13-2011, 12:11 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Classical - oh the life! I so need to get to the salon. I swear I'm coming to visit. Although I have to admit I go to the salon every 3 weeks ( I have to keep up with the stepford wives in my community)...of course I'm sure most of them are alcoholics too right?! At 41 I feel like you - I still really feel like I'm in my 20's but with a little more patience and wisdom.

bb - 28? really? Oh my to be 28 again. wow that's all I have to say about that. Your fabulous - enjoy it and be healthy!!! You don't want to be on this site at our age.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:13 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Day 1 of no smoking and I'm crawling out of my skin. I tried the patch and gum. But the gum made me nauseous and the patch gave me a rash. So I'm doing it cold turkey.

I would kill someone for a vodka-redbull and a pack of ciggs right now. But I know I can't have either so I've eaten almost an entire pack of bacon and downed 5 sprite zeros.

Oh yeah I also left out the fact that I'm trying to stop the caffeine too. Which is probably making my cravings 10 times worse. I'd gladly go through a hangover instead of this monster caffeine withdrawal headache I have.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:32 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CherryD View Post
Day 1 of no smoking and I'm crawling out of my skin. I tried the patch and gum. But the gum made me nauseous and the patch gave me a rash. So I'm doing it cold turkey.

I would kill someone for a vodka-redbull and a pack of ciggs right now. But I know I can't have either so I've eaten almost an entire pack of bacon and downed 5 sprite zeros.

Oh yeah I also left out the fact that I'm trying to stop the caffeine too. Which is probably making my cravings 10 times worse. I'd gladly go through a hangover instead of this monster caffeine withdrawal headache I have.
Pufff... I am quitting tobacco too, but with the aid of Chantix. I would suggest to go to a doctor specialized in tobacco. There are some others remedies, apart of Chantix.

Drinking water and working out are helpful.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:36 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Classical View Post
Tippintpoint I can fully relate to what your attempting to do and so far you've been very successful. My last time here from 2008 and 2009 I had resolved to never drink again, but I ended up feeling very mentally trapped in that commitment. The attempt to never drink again failed as you all know.

This time I still have no intention of returning to a drinking lifestyle, but I'm not promising such, either to myself or publicly. Even though I go day by day, I'm "mentally" committed to see how I feel after one full year, which is three months longer than my last attempt at sobriety. This sounds like I'm "waiting it out" for a year before I drink again, but I assure you that's not the case. It's more like I'm taking a year at a time rather than a day at a time and not bothering to look farther into the future. So as far as I'm concerned, the possibility of consuming a drop of alcohol is completely and utterly off the table for now.
I'm glad that you took the time to post this. Makes me feel like less of a flake! Or at least if I am a flake I've got good company.

Old 07-13-2011, 03:02 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bee2011 View Post
I agree Mariano, the two go hand in hand for me. I've quit cigs cold turkey many times and always started again when I was drinking heavily with other smokers. Sobriety should help keep me off cigs when I do finally quit. My friend used chantex but he still drinks, so he would have maybe one or two a week when partying. After about four months or so, he stopped using the chantex and now he's pushing a year of not smoking.

What's odd is that I didn't smoke for three days this month when I was in the hospital and it didn't phase me. But I had a half a pack left when I got home and thought, 'oh just one' ... Foolish mistake. I should have thrown them out beforehand. Eh, who knows...? Maybe I should learn to apply the same mental defense technique to ciggarettes that I do for alcohol.

Sounds like you haven't had any bad side effects from chantex. That is good! Stick with it and I hope your cravings fade quickly
I haven't had bad side effects from Chantix, only some nausea. It helps a lot. Yes, I think that the techniques learned to quit alcohol are also applicable to cigarettes. Quitting tobacco causes insomnia, irritability and lack of concentration. These effects are mitigated by Chantix, but not supressed. Chantix must be prescribed by a doctor. I take a dose lower than normal to prevent side effects. With half dose I have virtually no side effects; that was recommended to me by my doctor.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:25 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  
instant

Morning everyone. It's amazing how we flourish and our natural exuberance comes back after we stop poisoning ourselves.

Miss Ducky the universe has many wonderful inhabitants I am glad they are helping you out. They don't know it but what they have done for you has touched me on the other side of the world.

I was blowing my horn to early (so excited) day 60 at the end of today. It has been an amazing time and despite my moments of fear and doubt still up for the adventure.

Have a good day all. I now have to dash for breakfast with the boss- he wants to make it a regular thing (but can't seem to get there on time LOL!!!!!!)
Old 07-13-2011, 03:25 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Pretty as picture, dumb as a brick, love her to death, can't hunt worth a lick.

IMGP2520-1_edited.jpg
Old 07-13-2011, 03:26 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

How do we post pics?
Old 07-13-2011, 03:32 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Tuesday - See directions on page 1 of this thread from D.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:35 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Stream! CUTE!
Tuesday dee left us a link on the first page of part 4 on how to share. Thanks dee! explains much better than i ever could.

I want wine really badly. why is it getting harder all of a sudden? I dont drink. I don't drink. I dont drink. Taking sammy for a walk. ttyl juners
Old 07-13-2011, 03:39 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Blackbird - I hear you. Today the cravings have been like a tidal wave. Where that did that come from all of a sudden? Man, 5 bottles of sparkling water and it won't go away.