Notices

Class of June 2011 Part 3

Old 07-11-2011, 02:44 AM
  # 341 (permalink)  
instant

Hi everyone. There is so much going on it's hard to keep up - I am out of time with everyone. I think I am going to bed at around the time the board gets active in real time.

Tipping point : in the past in my efforts to get sober I have tried similar brewed drinks- especially when I do not want to be outed eg BBQ's etc. I would not discount using them again in the future with the following proviso........... "do they keep the dream alive?". For me they feed all the imagery of drinking, and may support the notion that I am in control of my drinking (this may not be conscious??). So I need to use these drinks with caution. They may be low on alcohol but they have full strength marketing vibe. I could use very similar arguments to support my use of low strength beer (ie can't get a buzz, can drink and stop etc etc etc), or de-alcoholised wine, or stuff in wine "like" containers etc. In the end I have found that despite my growing confidence I end up back where I don't want to be, even if it takes me a while ( a few weeks from memory) to get there. At this point it is all just too much bother for me.

Bratnik and Classical- I think we grow each time we are tested and we endure ?
Old 07-11-2011, 03:05 AM
  # 342 (permalink)  

Just wanted to let you'll know I'm still alive and here. Can't keep up with all the posts, sorry. I now have three weeks and one day sober so I'm really happy with that. We had a big car show here that was great. I didn't win any prizes at all nor did any friends. That seems about usual for some reason. I'll assume that the random draw process is honest and we all just have really bad luck. My closest call was after comming home to an empty house after spending 12 hours in the hot sun. A cold beer would have gone down good after that. I also ran into my best old friend, home for a visit from 5000Km away (3000 miles). He is the guy that bumped me off the wagon last time after 5 1/2 months. He won't do that this time though. The Mrs. is on a 10 day holiday visiting her mother. Me and the dog are looking after each other!

Be well group

LTJimmie
Old 07-11-2011, 03:45 AM
  # 343 (permalink)  

VIolet
Sorry about the migraine. T have started having at least one a week now. I got one yesterday. I am going to see a doctor for whatever the current treatment is.

Mariano
Welcome home!

chimp
Glad you got there safe

Instant
Good to hear from you and I agree with your comments to tipping point

Ltjimmie
Good to hear from you and congrats on staying sober.

Anomie
Hope today is a great one and you keep hanging with us!

Squishy and MissDucky are you girls ok?

Stream wader hope you are having a go vacation

Bee and Tuesday have a wonderful day.

Bue lah and classical. Hope things go well for you today.

I need that list. I want to make sure I gave a shout out to all you wonderful peeps!
Old 07-11-2011, 04:47 AM
  # 344 (permalink)  
one of many

I just wanted to chime in and say my peace. I can't believe I haven't taken a drink yet, and at 35+ days, this is the longest sobriety I've had in years. It feels like an absolute miracle, and I feel like a miracle too. Somedays my faith is weak and I wonder if recovery really is possible for me. Then I start to realize that anything is possible and the people who have walked this journey before me prove that. I'm not going to give up today, I hope and pray that you feel the same way.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:51 AM
  # 345 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by skunkape View Post
I just wanted to chime in and say my peace. I can't believe I haven't taken a drink yet, and at 35+ days, this is the longest sobriety I've had in years. It feels like an absolute miracle, and I feel like a miracle too. Somedays my faith is weak and I wonder if recovery really is possible for me. Then I start to realize that anything is possible and the people who have walked this journey before me prove that. I'm not going to give up today, I hope and pray that you feel the same way.

Yes, I feel a miracle too. I never had more than 10-12 days of sobriety, and now I have almost three months. Recovery is possible. Each day gets better.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:57 AM
  # 346 (permalink)  

Hi Guys - First off, a big universal THANK YOU for all of your posts. About half-way through reading them I realized I was not hitting the "thank you" button. But you all know I am grateful for all of your posts.

Phew what a weekend. It sounds like some of us had some curve balls thrown at us. I sure did, and it lasted the entire weekend. Oh well. I made it to bed both nights sober. Exhausted. It's 6:30 am and I already feel today is going to be ok. See guys, we really CAN do this. How pissed I would have been if I drank, now today.

Hats off to the strength and power in this group!!!

TP - your post was EONS ago but I"m gonna throw in my 2 cents on the near-beer. I don't see a problem in it if you have one. I have had one here and there after careful consideration. Beer was not my drink of choice by any means but if it was scorching hot out, I would have one if it was ice cold. I never really had more than one beer cause frankly, I didn't get buzzed quick enough and had to drink too many of them for the same effect as having wine and felt bloated. Since wine was my drink of choice, I will NOT drink "fake wine" - in my meltdown this weekend I actually checked it out and knew that it was a bad thing. I feel the same if someones drink of choice was a Cosmopolitan, it's probably not best to be drinking fake pink cosmos in martini glasses. I could care less that the near-beer doesn't have alcohol - I have had one for the refreshment/taste and then I switch to soda or water. Also - if I were going to cheat, I certainly wouldn't cheat with beer. ha!

I'm super-nonconfrontational so I only bring this up as my opinion - others may differ and I TOTALLY respect it. Not here for an argument about it. Some people will say ok, some people won't (esp on SR). Don't drink it to chase the dragon. I am sure YOU know your reasons and if you can honestly say you aren't doing this to mimick catching a buzz - then, enjoy. You know yourself best.

Welcome newcomers. We're a chatty loving bunch.

Made my huz dump out a half-full bottle of wine last night. He's gone for the next few days and I didn't need it sitting in the fridge after a fragile weekend. I think I'm going to be fine. ( i just noticed I said half-full not half-empty). hmmm

Thanks again for helping me this weekend, guys! By far - my hardest test. I'm around this week and will be checking in frequently if anyone needs anything at all. Another weekend down - yay team!!!!
Old 07-11-2011, 05:15 AM
  # 347 (permalink)  
instant

Is this the power of sobriety we are feeling people?
Old 07-11-2011, 05:30 AM
  # 348 (permalink)  

Bratnik - what a great post. Thank you. I'm like you, very non-confrontational. I avoid it at all costs. I'm more the peace maker. I offer an opinion, and if you chose to use it, that's okay. If you don't, I'm okay with it. I never claim to be right, I just know what maybe worked for me in situations. And I certainly love every one else's opinions, because that is what makes me think. And glass half full - it sure is! Good for you on another successful weekend. I love your spirit!

Sweetnovember - I promise I'll get that list done this week. One of my goals. Thought I would have had it done by now!

Skunkape and Mariano - I love your words about finding peace and this being a miracle. I don't mind if some don't believe in God, but I thank Him for you a lot any more. My angels keeping tabs on me and are keeping me strong. And if you don't believe in God, whatever higher power you have appears to be doing the same for you. But, that was beautifully written.

LTJimmie - what kind of car do you have? I grew up with 3 older brothers (boy did I get beat up), and was surrounded by the muscle car era - mainly Mopars (which are still my favorite when it comes to that late 60's/early 70's era of cars). But, I really enjoy the amount of time and dedication it takes to keep up a classic of any car. Hours, months, and years go into them. It's true dedication. Just as you are doing now with your sobriety - good for you on your accomplishment!

Life throws us curve balls we are no different that way than "normal" folk, its how we handle these curve balls which make us stronger
Raquell - you're not kidding. We used to dodge those curve balls with alcohol before, now we have to hit them head on. And you're right, we become stronger. Before, it only beat us down more.

Tuesday - I know you mentioned that you were kind of using your boyfriend's punishment in the form of knowing how he'd suffer for drinking. And you didn't want to stir the pot on that, because you've done that and some. Please just remember, if you really love him, at some point, it might work to let him know how upsetting that is for you, because you care, which means you worry. Worrying is not something you should make others that you love do because of your actions. When my husband was coming home intoxicated years ago (we were dating at the time), I sat him down the next morning, and calmly said "I love you so much, and that just tears my heart out, when I worry. What if something happened, do you want to be the guy who people read about on bumper stickers "my daughter or my son was killed by a drunk driver". Please, if you're going to be late, or already late, and you've had too much to drink, call me and I will come get you. I will not yell at you when I pick you up, it may be a quiet ride home. But, if you keep breaking my heart like this, I won't be here to come get you.". He never did it again. (then low and behold over the years, I become an alcoholic, and drink and drive....how stupid...ah well...can't live in the past) Any way....I guess I just don't want it to keep happening and at some point it may not hurt to talk about it. I was very relieved though when I read your post.

Bee - in answer to your question about my husband not drinking. I don't believe he's committed to sobriety. I may be wrong. But, I know right now, he is feeling really good about being supportive in my quest. I'm thrilled. We've talked a lot about this and all the dumb things we had done while drinking, and we both agree that all has to stop. If he were to have an occasional beer down the road, I really wouldn't mind. It's like being around my Dad or friends that do, and so far, it hasn't affected me at all. When we were working at my folks the other day doing yard work, it was hot, and we were sweating. He walked by and quietly said "I sure could go for a cold beer". And he walked in grabbed some water, and kept working. I know it was hard for him, but it made me feel good.

I agree with being alone versus being in a bad relationship. That was the scariest thing about when I got divorced...being alone. But, I will tell you, it was way more enjoyable than dealing with the BS of a bad relationship. And in time, the right one came along and made it all worthwhile.

Well, every one, going to take a quick motorcycle ride to see my folks and then on with the day.

And haven't heard from Squishy or MissDucky either...... I hope they are okay.

Be well!
Old 07-11-2011, 05:31 AM
  # 349 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anomie666m View Post
Is the "class" here when you joined the forum or when you got sober? .

I just joined here, but my first day sober was June 13th. Anybody else have my sobriety date? Just curious! Thanks.
June 13th for me too! I think Mondays are common...
Old 07-11-2011, 05:31 AM
  # 350 (permalink)  

Instant - I think you are on to something about the power we are feeling - I believe that's a huge part of it!
Old 07-11-2011, 05:55 AM
  # 351 (permalink)  

So, I went to bed earlier than anticipated. I read most of what I missed last night, but I fear I forgot most of what I read by this AM. ah well.

Buelah - I hope squishy, Miss Ducky, and classical are ok too. Sounds like they had a rough weekend. Are you out there squishy?

Bratnik- Nice work on making hubby dump the wine. I came home to a fridge stocked to the brim with beer. dang. Its a good thing I have you all to give me strength... and I've become really good at saying no. I'm usually such a pushover!

-for insance the cousins (all wasted, save my sister and I) were trying desperatly for me to take a shot with them (jager). What is it with drunk people pushing so hard for others to drink too?

I simply replied "Even if I were to take a drink tonight It sure as hell wouldn't be jager!" and I walked away to listen and dance to the rather fantastic band! yay me for having a spine.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:59 AM
  # 352 (permalink)  

Good Morning Everyone!

Wow! Everybody seems in pretty good spirits today. What other class would be so happy on a Monday morning!?

I thought Squishy was posting in her newcomers thread yesterday; and I saw Miss Ducky's name on the roster, so hopefully we'll be hearing from her soon. I haven't seen CherryD though. Wondering how she is doing.

Off to do some errands and go bug my workmates for a bit!

Love you guys!
Old 07-11-2011, 06:33 AM
  # 353 (permalink)  

Classical-

I'm so happy that today is a better day! You have so much to look forward to! I'm kind of in awe of how successful you are in your career and in that you do what you love.

I have kind of been stuck in a rut of alcoholism and self-doubt. Struggling to find meaning in my own life, but reading your posts makes me want to follow my dreams... once i figure out what those are!

Have a good hike. I plan on doing the same later today... well, more like a walk in the cemetery (its the closest park like environment to my house) peaceful anyway.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:46 AM
  # 354 (permalink)  

Mornin all...

Hey guys..yes I am alive and sober! Day 15 here...
'Just had a really bad weekend...
- dylan is sooo angry and is taking it out on me-I understand it, but it still hurts...
-laptop got stolen at hospital..
-Oldest Son quit his job..he recently moved back home cause he couldn't make it on his own...guess he can't do it with our help either...
-Hubby was asked to take a pay cut or layoff...
-Refrigerator broke...we rent so that's an easy fix, but still...
-I AM EXHAUSTED...
Other than that...
I'm not craving but think the withdrawls are kicking in or it's just that I am so tired and worn out. Had some shakes last night. Headache, and kinda feel sick to my stomach.
Dylan is doing OK, except the doc had to out in a 3rd drainage tube...can't get the infection under control. I am beginning to hate it there. The day nurses are great, but the night ones are so hateful. I am able to sleep in Dyl's room on a pull out couch, and last night it was sooo cold, so I walked to the nurse's station to ask for a second blanket. And I quote.."this isn't the Holiday Inn" as she handed me one!!! Stupid B***h...let me see how she would act if it was her child....
Anyhow, came home to check on things and get papers together to take to human services. We don't have insurance, so this should be fun...
Thank you all for caring if I was ok or not....I needed that...
Missducky
Old 07-11-2011, 06:50 AM
  # 355 (permalink)  

miss ducky. wow what a jerk nurse. sorry for all of the troubles of the weekend but I know you will pull through! You are doing awesome in your sobriety so at least thats one positive!

much love.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:59 AM
  # 356 (permalink)  

Good Morning, y'all.

Wow, that's a lot of posts!

I too am worried about MissDucky and Squishy. They are definitely in my thoughts.
We all seem to have managed to survive the difficult weekend - I KNOW that in large part, it was due to this little group of Sobriety Warriors and meetings, and the help of the SUPPORTIVE friends i was able to reach out to.
As Instant says - the power of sobriety...and COMMUNITY.

Classical, that sounds like you felt let down by your partner; not being acknowledged for how hard we work can be so...disillusioning. I wonder if he was feeling defensive about the plan-change?

Chimp! Glad you made it to Poland safely - i hope you're having a wonderful time.

Bratnik - good call on the wine!

Hello to the people whom i've not met here before! AND to all the days of sobriety under your respective belts. That is very inspiring to me...especially right now. The temptation has been strong, but ultimately the Will has been stronger, so far.

Well...Chewie left a message...FINALLY...last night. I missed the call. Kind of glad i did.
My first sober weekend (!!!) and i did it without his presence or support - but instead a sour taste in my mouth at his mocking and ultiimately flippant attitude.
In his message, of course, he talked like nothing had happened.
That's not gonna fly, this time.

Still unsure what i'm going to say, but i believe it will be something along the lines of;
"Until you can start speaking to me without the flippant attitude, and start acting as though you still want to make this work, i think we should have some space in order to think about how we want to carry on from here."

Sigh.

I know i missed some people...sorry, i'm just in a Mood; sad, tired and hungry. Must make some breakfast before the Stinkweed wakes up (i'm a nanny to an ADORABLE little 11 month old boy).

Cheers - i'll be back later, hopefully in a better place.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:01 AM
  # 357 (permalink)  

MIssDUcky, we must have posted simultaneously...wow, what a jerk nurse.
I might even go so far as to call her an a**-hat.

I'm glad you pulled through...you are being super strong. Hang in there, i know your son feels very loved right now.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:07 AM
  # 358 (permalink)  

lol violet.. i used the same phrase,,, wow what a jerk nurse. maybe you saw, maybe you didn't. ah well a**- hat suits as well. I would push the call button like a million times when that nurse was on duty. saying it was an accident each time!!!

oh and i guess that acting like nothing happened must be a universal man thing. Dont let him get away with it. I'm sure you wont!
Old 07-11-2011, 07:23 AM
  # 359 (permalink)  

Hello Hello Hello - well I just took a few minutes to read the last page of posts trying to get caught up. And I was going to spout off today about how awful my weekend was all the way around, and then I read Miss Ducky's post and LOVE YOU DUCKY, you are amazing for what you have been through the last couple of weeks and still sober. I am so freaking proud of you - all of you for that matter, that my little crappy weekend seems pretty trivial at this point.

I'm still sober, still here although saturday and sunday were some of the worst days yet. I think I need to start another thread on new the stress of motherhood. UGH My children were out of control this weekend and I'm trying so hard to stay calm and explain to my husband the more he screams and swears, the more our kids get out of control. If you are calm, they will remain calm, but like I've said in previous emails - he has his own demons to tackle and I can't help him. But his actions are affecting the attitude of our children.

My son who is just over 2 spits and hits all of us. My daughter who is 3 1/2 doesn't listen, talks back and screams at the top of her lungs. I was at my wits end yesterday and after being spit in the face for the 10th time, I cried. When we got home for dinner, they started throwing it around and not eating and sassing off to me at the table, I finally had it. I spanked my daughter which I have never done before and didn't even grow up in a home that ever raised a hand. I left the room and left her sitting on the floor crying as I went upstairs and cried my eyes out.

Everyone says this will get easier - its not so far, its just getting worse. I know I'm not the only mom to go through this and I know you all have amazing mountains you are climbing right now that this seems small. I just am trying to make it through another day without breaking in half.

I love you all and thank goodness I have this group. I can't talk to anyone at home and can't confide in friends, they all drink.

On to Monday - here we go...
Old 07-11-2011, 07:27 AM
  # 360 (permalink)  

Hello all of my lovely Classmates!! Busy in here this morning!!!

MissDucky- Sorry to hear about your experience at the hospital. But glad that your son is recovering from his surgery. Sorry to hear about all of the cr@p that is going on around you. When it rains- it pours. We are here for you if you need to vent

Thanks Buelah. I was so hurt and confused when the shannagans were going on this weekend. I almost felt guilty for saying something to him. I felt like he was trying to show me what I acted like. Although he never said that. I dont know what is going to happen with us. I feel like we are drifting apart but I am too scared to do anything about it. Why? you ask? Because I am scared of everything. I could give 100 reasons.
I have never lived alone (without a BF) since I was 15. I had my daughter at 17...biofather not in the picture..never was. I don't have any family to lean on. I guess I have some issues to work out but I am not sure where to begin. Also, thinking about all of this stuff makes me want to drink. Ignoring everything makes me want to drink.... not a very good cycle to be in. I just feel stuck.