Notices

Codependency and Beyond Part 20

Old 07-08-2011, 11:49 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

(((DeVon))) - that's what I'm worried about...this is some new stuff, not stuff I already have some knowledge of.

Okay, anyone know how to delete a picture from your profile? (((DeVon)) was nice enough to tweak my picture, and now when you enlarge it, it's not so huge, but can't figure out how to get rid of the other one?

I'll stop whining about my 90's weather, since ((DeVon)) is in the triple digits. Grateful for a/c!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy

p.s., never mind, I figured it out and got rid of the old picture.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:16 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Amy I sent you instructions on how to delete.

My best suggestion in those classes is to take notes. That helped me so much in retaining what I read. I'm also available via phone or email if you ever need help. I'll PM you my phone number, okay? Hugs!
Old 07-08-2011, 12:54 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

MrsPink thanks for your idea ESH about jornalling. I have it on bookmark and will be reading up on it

I feel like i have been 'self seeking' a bit on this thread. Seems like drama drama drama, maybe thats early codependent recovery. Afterall i am only about 4.5 months into it [about a month and a half behind my alcohol sober date i think].

Bad news on retrospect i think allowing a careers guidance mentor to contact me was a little rash but the local government person was sat in my house at the time and it felt like a good idea at the time. Plus i thought perhaps if i showed willingness to move towards work it may help my chances of getting re-housed.

AFGO eh mrs pink

Good news just 'did' another ACOA meeting online

Im counted my recovery books and i have nine. I will likely order two more this week and over and above that i still have in mind three others, maybe four.

There are various agencies designed for helping you get back to work here ames 2. I used to work in maccies ames so i have been holding back for fear of prejudicing you, you seem like a good worker with pride so ...

Oh devon hello :>
Old 07-08-2011, 01:03 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Good on another meeting and 6 months, ((Kevin))!

((DeVon)) - most of my online stuff has all been power point highlights and a book. I had to re-train myself to not re-write the whole darned book, as there is simply not enough time in my life.

Stepmom just informed me she is finally going to see her sister the end of next month. Brit turns 18 one day, my other niece (who I've yet to see, up where she is going) will have her first b'day party the next day, and her other sister from MD will be there. I would love to be able to meet my baby niece, so will see if I can work a schedule around it. The one sister of stepmom, I've never met, but I really like her. She's just good people, though they're all codies.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 07-08-2011, 01:11 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

((amy)) ~ what a schedule!!!!!! you will definitely have to have your focus, pencils sharpened, notes taken, game face on for that ~ I can see why the aspect of job hunting is not an option right now!! I'm praying that you will have another great semester!

Kevin - hope you like the journaling part of recovery - it truly helps me! I start writing about one thing & my God always reveals so much more!

Devon - triple digits heat and humidity - means triple scoop ice cream, triple dips in the pool, triple sips of sweet ice tea and triple up on the deo for the BO in Louisianan ~ ha ha ha - hope you stay cool - we are trying to do that here too!

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

PINK HUGS!
Old 07-08-2011, 01:21 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Hooey Rita, I didn't realize you were from Louisiana! My instructor at tech school back in 95 was a transplanted Louisiana native. He was telling us about the heat/humidity down there! He said in his neighborhood, practically everyone had a big old fan on their patios. Wowzah, it made Kansas sound pretty good!
Old 07-08-2011, 01:36 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

(((Rita))) - I've thought about you being in LA, and how hot/humid I hear it gets down there. Glad you have your iced tea (a staple, in GA) and a pool. We HAVE a pool, but it hasn't been used in over 10 years, is inground, so not going anywhere NEAR that yukky mess.

I need the "cat whisperer" to convince Mots he doesn't need my constant affection. I've brushed him enough I could make a "cat coat". My cat is a codie...sigh.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 07-08-2011, 03:03 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Amy, a codie cat?! You just gave me my first laugh of the day, thanks! I think I'll name my next cat Cody

Kevin, you mentioned drama. It seems to be a staple of codependency. The further I've gotten into my own recovery, the less space it takes up in my brain. Drama is still there but my response has changed

I have no personal update, though there's all sorts of stuff going on in my world. #1 is waiting on news of our friend. Right now I'm just sitting with all of it and using my tools. I've really come to like sitting with stuff. Gives me so much more breathing room.

Speaking of breathing, the air is heavy and thick here. Southern Utah sounds wonderful right about now
Old 07-09-2011, 01:21 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

(((Chino))) - the only "person" in this house that is NOT a codie is Patches. Just feed her food and treats, and she does her own thing.

Interesting day, and one I was grateful for the hyper-vigilance that ((Chino)) told me comes with PTSD.

We were slow, then as the dining room closed, we got slammed with a bunch of kids. Only 4 females working, line was backed up, kids were running to cars, talking yelling, etc. It made me edgy, told Dotty "we're overrun with kids..they're all over the parking lot" and she said she didn't care.

Luckily, I cop car did a drive through the parking lot..right after, a girl screeches out yelling about "those MF'ers" and seconds later I hear a siren.

Go to the store I stop at most nights, for cigarettes..two cop cars have some kids in a truck. My heart dropped, at first, as my buddy A, is the only one there, but she was fine.

Told me a bank was robbed 1.7 miles from work this morning..she said they went in shooting, tied everyone up and got away with the money.

Other than that, it was a good day. I'm so tired, right now, if there are any typos...that's why. About to check another thread then head to sleep.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 07-09-2011, 04:15 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

I just noticed 'stroke deprivation' mentioned in 2nd reading of codie no more. Interesting i was rationalising just that sort of feeling some weeks ago - didnt know what it was called|that it had a name thou

Not journalled yet MrsPink
Old 07-09-2011, 10:51 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

((Kevin)) - I "journaled" about the altercation Brit and I had back in Jan. on my computer...helped a lot. Of course, I password protected it, have no idea what the password IS, so probably will never see it again, but that's okay.

I did sleep, not as long as I wanted to, but it was enough. Have a little time before I go in at 5. DT was so backed up, last night, that I put a tray of apple pies in (get a free one if you upsize a meal), they take 12 minutes, and people that ordered GOT their pies as the 12 minutes had expired by the time they got to the front window.

When it finally slowed down, I did all the dishes, which Dotty said "I was gonna do them, but THANKS!" Told her she could do the dreaded fry hopper...yuk. Several people have also mentioned C's verbal abuse to the employees, and I think I got the BEST advice from my little 19-year-old, who said "ignore her". Her big brother, also works there..I adore him, as he is SO good at his job. He's in jail..sigh. Driving on a suspended license and no backup proof of attending drug court, though he has. Don't know what the DOC is, haven't asked.

J, my 2nd shift mgr, came back there and said "where are the drugs?" and I was like "WTF?" He had a headache, I gave him some Excedrin. I have that, Percogesic, Ibuprofen, Immodium, and Aleve in my purse...guess I'm the McD's pharmacy?

Oh, and interestingly enough, I did skim through restaurant job openings in my area. They are looking for a new store mgr at one of my old jobs...be interesting to know if the karma police ever got the mgr who treated me so badly after the robbery, but not gonna check into it.

Still keeping an eye open for options. A good server job, just working Friday and Saturday, would probably pay more than what I make at McD's, and a guy from Applebee's came to the store, last night, brought A some food and I asked if they were hiring...he said "we may be soon", so keeping that in the back of my mind.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 07-09-2011, 11:38 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Amy, I can't imagine a manager worth their salt NOT wanting a Fri-Sat only server. People always seem to want off the two busiest, most lucrative nights. I've seen behavior in these economic times that defy logic.

I've really had to stay aware of my hyper vigilance. I'm vigilant about it lol. We still have ongoing construction here and the electricians wanted in the other morning at 7:30am. I said no, they were unexpected, and we'll have to schedule it. Husband understood or accepted, maybe both. They'll need to be everywhere inside my house for approximately 4 hours, and I have to be mentally prepared for them. I told husband I plan on staying in my living room the entire time, it's the most wide open room with two outdoor exits, and will probably keep a gun on me.

Well, I'm off to clean the kitchen, hit the water for about an hour or so, then get ready for an evening with husband. We're doing more stuff together these days and it's making a positive difference in our relationship
Old 07-09-2011, 11:59 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  
mergirl

Saturday, July 9, 2011
You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go
Overspending and Underspending

I used to beat my husband to death with my credit card. It made me feel like I had some control, some way to get even with him.
—Anonymous

I spent ten years buying everything for myself at garage sales. I didn't even buy myself a new pair of shoes. The entire time I was depriving myself, my husband was gambling, speculating on risky business deals, and doing whatever he wanted with money. I learned that when I made a decision that I deserved to have the things I wanted, and made a decision to buy something I wanted, there was enough money to do it. It wasn't about being frugal; it was about depriving myself, and being a martyr.
—Anonymous

Compulsive buying or overspending may give us a temporary feeling of power or satisfaction, but like other out of control behaviors, it has predictable negative consequences.

Under spending can leave us feeling victimized too.

There is a difference between responsible spending and martyred deprivation. There is a difference between treating ourselves well financially and overspending. We can learn to discern that difference. We can develop responsible spending habits that reflect high self-esteem and love for ourselves.

Today, I will strive for balance in my spending habits. If I am overspending, I will stop and deal with what's going on inside me. If I am under spending or depriving myself, I will ask myself if that's necessary and what I want.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:41 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Had a great night tonight. Now my own mind is calming again [do not take others inventory repeat ] i can care and think about others golly

Sorry for being selfish of late

Amy your new smile definitely is a big change to the good dont you agree but yeagh i feel bad for being selfish so much lately here. Im truly sorry
Old 07-09-2011, 10:37 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  
mergirl

Sunday, July 10, 2011
You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go
Ending Relationships

It takes courage and honesty to end a relationship - with friends, loved ones, or a work relationship.

Sometimes, it may appear easier to let the relationship die from lack of attention rather than risk ending it. Sometimes, it may appear easier to let the other person take responsibility for ending the relationship.

We may be tempted to take a passive approach. Instead of saying how we feel, what we want or don't want, or what we intend to do, we may begin sabotaging the relationship, hoping to force the other person to do the difficult work.

Those are ways to end relationships, but they are not the cleanest or the easiest ways.

As we walk this path of self-care, we learn that when it is time to end a relationship, the easiest way is one of honesty and directness. We are not being loving, gentle, or kind by avoiding the truth, if we know the truth.

We are not sparing the other person's feelings by sabotaging the relationship instead of accepting the end or the change, and doing something about it. We are prolonging and increasing the pain and discomfort - for the other person and ourselves.

If we don't know, if we are on the fence, it is more loving and honest to say that.

If we know it is time to terminate a relationship, say that.

Endings are never easy, but endings are not made easy by sabotage, indirectness, and lying about what we want and need to do. Say what you need to say, in honesty and love, when it is time. If we are trusting and listening to ourselves, we will know what to say and when to say it.

Today, I will remember that honesty and directness will increase my self-esteem. God, help me let go of my fear about owning my power to take care of myself in all my relationships.
Old 07-09-2011, 11:27 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

(((Kevin))) glad you had a good night...here's to lots more of them! Thanks about the smile..big thanks to ((DeVon)) for working the pictures so you can see the before and after.

I've come to the conclusion that my bosses are idiots. After explaining to T, that I don't know if/when I may go to CA, that if it's sudden, I will text her, they left me off the schedule next week? Will have to get that straightened out.

My drawer was $11.75 short...had 2 mgrs in it, did not take the time to verify what they were doing (busy). I don't HAVE the money, so Dotty put in $10, which I will pay her back, and I put in the remaining $1.75. Basically, I worked for 1-1/2 hours, with a 5 minute break, for nothing.

Dad showed me a text he sent Brit. He's talking about turning her phone off again. I explained, one more time, that idle threats are just that..he's threatened that so many times, she doesn't pay him any attention. It was actually a good text, but 11 hours later, she hadn't responded.

Drama free night, tonight, other than a lady who insisted I use her coupon that said "Valid in VA". Wanted to tell her "I was just IN VA, and this isn't it". She even came in to talk to J, and he told her we couldn't take it. Guess I need to take reading glasses to work...can't read the tiny print on the coupons and had to have one of the youngun's read it.

Gotta get up in 5-1/2 hours for church..hope I don't fall asleep on mom-Kay's shoulder

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 07-10-2011, 02:55 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

My sister used to be bad for not responding to text messages ames. she has improved. i do hope your dad manages to improve his relationship with brit so as she will respond to him also. For me i dont message my sister in such a way as i want a reply. I just text her information really. I used to ask questions and suchlike then get peeved when i got no response and i know its your dad not you but its the letting go isnt it. She will only reply if she wants to so why set myself up for disappointment? There again i have been putting effort into the relationship in other ways and now im over 6 months sober [i did appreciate your thanks] people are starting to take me seriously

Oh and i looked up CA btw. California right.

When i stop and think i had to be clever with her really. Instead of like saying please get back to me i would say "i would like this to happen, if you want this to happen also please get back to me" so i wasnt really asking for her to reply unless she wanted something so if i got no reply i would just think och she dunny want to do that. Sometimes she even answers the phone to me nowerdays she used to hardly ever. I keep my answerphone messages brief and perfunctionary and yes i only really ask her to get back to me if she wants something so a non response i choose to take as a refusal/declination whatnot

It was tough for a while with her and i also stopped dashing to meet her [at her house at my expense and time] whenever she wanted it so ... idk im waffling i think. The power of no or something
Old 07-10-2011, 05:54 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

(((Kevin))) - yes, it is the letting go that's the problem. She won't be 18 until the end of the month, he feels responsible for her, bu to my knowledge, she came home those 2 weeks, he's seen her one other time since JANUARY? I had seen her once, also, but she didn't speak and neither did I. He basically only hears from her when she's used his debit card number to get a pizza or needs money.

I, personally, think she is partying it up, having a good time and we are a drag. I don't set any expectations with her, learned that lesson the hard way. The only text I sent was the congrats on the job, and got no reply, which is usual.

Okay, after 4 hours of sleep, am getting ready for church, then a nap afterward. A friend of mine, here, is slipping toward a relapse, and it hurts that I can't stop it, but I can share my ES&H, pray, and let her know she is loved.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 07-10-2011, 06:52 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Well i had to learn with my sister [again] that its not possible to build a relationship alone. If the other person doesnt want to spent time with you [reply to messages etc] you gotta stop wasting your time where its not appreciated.

I guess your dad giving brit his card is his decision also for him to consider the merits of good or negative idk sorry about your friend edging towards a slip too are you sure about this?
Old 07-10-2011, 07:50 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

DeVon, I've been watching your weather, most of my family live within a few hours drive of you and I grew up fairly close to you. What you all have going on is unreal! I remember when it got around the 100's at least the humidity would burn off, but that's not happening! OK, KS and MO all have humidity from 30-50%!!! That's like adding insult to injury, pouring salt on the wound.... you get my drift. Sheesh!

I'm supposed to head out that way towards the end of this week, visit with nephews who've come back from Germany for the summer visit with their dad. I'm playing it loose with the dates because of our dying friend, but will just roll with it. I'll possibly be in all 3 states over the course of 1-2 weeks and, no matter what, I'm staying at hotels with pools!